Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you think some in the media are genuinely concerned the Washington Redskins are getting their act together?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

For a long time now, you see the Skins being 'kings' of the off-season, and then performing dismally during the regular season. That generates "news" for the national media because many outside Washington want to see the over-publicized high-p'ayroll team of 'super-stars' fail. That kind of hyped expectation and then subsequent failure makes for good copy. It's almost become an annual tradition for the NFL reporters -- covering the anticipated collapse of the 'off-season champs.'

Let's also realize how our front-office actions have created some of the media glare. The Skins have a coaching carousel of ''name' coaches (or new coaches with name recognition); it seems like the team has been undergoing constant upheaval for a decade. If you sign a big name like Steve Spurrier -- and he flops in the NFL -- that's big news. ...So, our latest coach is a Shanahan; don't you think we're under the microscope again?

We have an owner engaged in legal issues with local papers and does not seem to enjoy a good regard by the leading newpaper in DC. These soured media relations makes for good copy outside the beltway, where the city of Washington tends to be viewed as a politcal entity run by well-heeled, but shady lobbyists. Once again, there is opportunity to increase audience share by playing into that stereotype.

Most importantly, Snyder/Cerrato's history of media squabbles also shapes how some reporters are going to feel about the owner and by extension, his team. And when you add to the history all these public claims from ex-Redskins on how shabbily they were treated (contractually, etc.) by the Skins' front office (Cerrato?) -- this generates more 'smoke' to confirm reporters suspicion about the 'fire' around Snyder's Redskins.

Let's acknowledge that Dan Snyder has leveraged media coverage of the Redskins as an important marketing tool for promoting his team. But the problem is ...media coverage is a double-edged sword. And even if the Skins turn out to be great champions in the future --- the media will be still looking for the skeletons in the closet. I seriously doublt Snyder is ever going to be regarded the same way as the Rooneys; because it makes better news opprotunities to regard him adversely.

Like any other profession, the media has a large % that are just lazy and going to take the easiest path to the paycheck. It is always simpler to use the rote "Skins still suck" script than it is to actually work to find something meaningful to say.

The issue I see, is that we have more coverage. There are obviously several different media "clubs," in the DC area. You have the Washington Post/106.7 the fan and then you have some of the free lancers, the homers, the 980s, the Comcast guys...they all have their own agenda, and there is little to no TRUE unbias news out there.

It seems to be a race to get a small story, and then to spin it. I mean, do you know how many other coaches go on radio shows in other cities or on sirius and say stuff like Haz said? A lot. But everyone has to be first to report it and put their spin out there. Other markets would let that die in a matter of hours to days and move on to the next thing. We'll be talking about that radio interview for at least a month.

And this isn't excluding this organization from any of the blame, they have earned that over the last decade plus with their shakanery....but I do believe there are more "extreme" media heads here covering the Redskins than there are for most other teams, and then they complain about why there is always negative news.

I didn't see any covering the Golf charity classic, I didn't see anyone covering the ride to provide, heck, even Danny's attempts at humanity get little to no coverage. I haven't heard an interview with Atogwe yet.

But, what I saw from the Post this last season disgusted me, how can you hop on a team for going 6-10, with a new head coach, new systems on both sides of the ball, and possibly the worst free agent class in years? And then they have the nerve to come out and say that the Shannys don't know football? Umm.... ring check?

You can argue both sides...but I'll agree with the OP on this one.

HAIL!

Do I think the local media has an issue with Snyder and/or others in the organization?

Absolutely

But I think, and I think they know, that their jobs are easier and more fun if the redskins are winning.

If they're talking about the skins in the playoffs, or even (god forbid) the super bowl, that is a much bigger ratings draw than what the story has been for the last 15 years.

As someone who is beginning to be around these people (the local media), I'll say it's a mix of the lockout giving us no stories and some of them having a legit negative outlook on the team.

But there are those who are very objective and play it straight. There are even others who genuinely wish this team do well.

And of course there are those who need to fill time on radio shows, need to fill space on a blog or paper, and need to keep some semblance of a relevant conversation going.

As is usually the case, the most negative guys are the loudest. I don't agree with what some of these girls/gals think from both the positive and negative side, so I tend to take what they say with a grain of salt.

It's the media's job to report on what's going on at Redskins Park. It's no wonder why we've been getting nothing but bad press.

No.

Its their job to get it right. And be unbiased about it.

For example, last year, show me one media member that didn't say we were going to trade Al. :munchout:

No.

For example, last year, show me one media member that didn't say we were going to trade Al. :munchout:

I agree that it's important to get it right.

But if they choose to purely speculate, say so, so that readers/viewers understand it's just personal opinion rather than something that is supposed to be concrete reporting.

I don't think so. Obviously, there are plenty of reporters who are lazy and re-hash old **** or report rumors as fact but honestly, what else are they going to report about the skins? How long has it been since the vast majority of news about the skins wasn't legitimately negative? I think the skins mf'ing suck and have been poorly run for so long and have generated so much negative news and publicity on their own that it's just become the natural course of things. Do some reporters take advantage of that fact to get easy, cheap clicks by bs'ing negative stories about our team? Yes, but the team has brought it on itself with it's own actions.

^^ I pretty much agree. We haven't been relevant enough for any media to waste their time on us.

And yet they do.

As for the topic there are always going to be one or two mediots that have an agenda but for the most part there is nothing happening right now and these guys have to write about something. If there was no lockout they'd find something else to write about. But right now there is literally nothing new to write about so they reach to find something to fill 1,000 words.

No.

Maybe they just didn't realize we'd be stupid enough to drag this saga out this long and made assumptions as such?

Maybe they just didn't realize we'd be stupid enough to drag this saga out this long and made assumptions as such?

Well, not to derail thread, but who thinks it's stupid? Obviously not somebody who has been a legitimate leader of men. The capitol the team has gained from taking it's tough (stupid) stance with Albert has been immeasurable. Wait and see.

My perception is the media never gives us our due. We're one of those franchises that just won't be talked about as elite, like the Niners, Pats, Steelers, Cowboys etc. Even on our Super Bowl years, we were not given the credit we deserved. The media gave us respect for winning the three SBs, but I always feel that they feel we were lucky (2 strike years). But, I really don't care what they think, as long as we win.

It is easier to write about the negative and there are definitely a few media folks like Wise, Pollin, LaVar and Dukes that seem to relish in the negative stuff.

Do the majority enjoy it? I doubt the TV sports reports enjoy it. My guess is they would rather report on great things happening with the team.

So you're convinced the media is out to get us?

I know right..do people really beleive this garbage.

Lets face it the skins do and have sucked for years. All while they have repeatedly tried to buy championships. When you do that and fail, people are gonna laugh and call you out.

How was Labron James treated this morning by the media.....same story.

No, I don't think they care that deeply at all. They'll just continue to report what they're 'supposed' to report, and you're 'supposed' to report-bash a bad team like the Redskins. When the Redskins are playing well, 10+ wins, they'll just report how well the Redskins are doing as if they weren't unnecessarily bashing them for the past 5+ years. And it will be as annoying as it always is.

Archived