Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

June 6, 1944: 67th Anniversary of Operation Neptune

Sticksboi05

Just the sheer logistics of the plan are nearly overwhelming to think about,much less the execution. I remember reading Ambrose's book on D-Day and coming away,somehow,even more awed at what happened that day and the men how participated in it.

I remember one part of Ambrose's book was dealing with pre-invasion briefings. One group of guys of the first wave of landings at Omaha were told that realistically,9 out of 10 of them could become casualties. One vet who was there said he remembered looking around at his fellow soldiers and thinking to himself,"You poor ****s."

This thread sadly says a lot about our country and the way it is today. Seven replies to a military operation that defines what we are and what we went through to get here. How many replies in the Black Ops thread?

so which part of this was Operation Neptune? I know Overlord, which was mentioned in the video.

Operation Overlord was the operation to retake Normandy. Operation Neptune was the amphibious operation to take the beaches perhaps? I have to admit - I never knew the difference.

This thread sadly says a lot about our country and the way it is today. Seven replies to a military operation that defines what we are and what we went through to get here. How many replies in the Black Ops thread?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have run out of things to say about D-Day. We have this thread every year. I have read Steven Ambrose's book on D-Day, and John Keegan's book on it, and Winston Churchill's memoir.

It's not disrespect.

• 11 months later...
D-Day succeeded because of the men who were there.

The list of tactical failures, equipment breakdown, and just bad luck is staggering.

The men who made that day a success are truly giants of history.

Amen.

I wish my granddad was with us today. I know he never would have talked about it. But, I don't know, just to be able to take him to lunch, and just be around him today would be awfully special to me.

I do have a lot of his letters to my grandmother, and columns he wrote for his local paper. I think I'll be spending a little time in reverent solitude tonight.

I remember one part of Ambrose's book was dealing with pre-invasion briefings. One group of guys of the first wave of landings at Omaha were told that realistically,9 out of 10 of them could become casualties. One vet who was there said he remembered looking around at his fellow soldiers and thinking to himself,"You poor ****s."

I love the soldier mentality. Probably the thing I miss the most about the military. We used to joke that it was okay to be in a foxhole with water up to your waist...as long as your buddy had water up to his chest!

D-Day succeeded because of the men who were there.

The list of tactical failures, equipment breakdown, and just bad luck is staggering.

The men who made that day a success are truly giants of history.

We were definitely helped by German incompetence.... Hitler had two generals Romel who wanted to stop the allies on the beaches, and Keslering who wanted to allow the allies to come inland

and then to re-execute Blitzkreig and out manuver and smash our forces as Germany had dramatically done at the beginning of the war. Hitler listened to both, and decided to implement both plans, which ensured neiter plan had a chance of success... Finally Hitler took his strongest force his heavy armor divisions and reserved them to his personal command. Ensuring neither commander could make use of them in a timely mannor...

Hitlers incompetence was key in ensuring D-Day was ultimately a sucess.

Operation Overlord was the operation to retake Normandy. Operation Neptune was the amphibious operation to take the beaches perhaps? I have to admit - I never knew the difference.

"Operation Neptune was the cross-Channel crossing phase of Operation Overlord. Operation Neptune placed all naval issues under the command of Admiral Bertram Ramsey whose command skill had already been seen in 1940 with the part he played in the evacuation of troops from Dunkirk....About 6,000 ships of all sizes were required for Neptune."

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/operation_neptune.htm

Incredible

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have

striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The

hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you.

In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on

other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war

machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of

Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well

equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of

1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats,

in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their

strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home

Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions

of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.

The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to

Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in

battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great

and noble undertaking.

SIGNED: Dwight D. Eisenhower

Archived