Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP "Macho Man" Randy Savage

BeachSkin

Nothing will ever top the World Class territory when it comes to dead wrestlers though. The biggest shows of the early 80s were Starrcade, Wrestlemania, and the Parade of Champions at Texas Stadium. First of all that show honored a dead wrestler.

May 6, 1984

Chris Adams (dead) versus Jimmy Garvin

Junkyard Dog (dead) versus Missing Link (dead)

Kamala versus Kabuki. Both are still alive. The managers, however, are dead.

Butch Reed versus Chick Donovan

Kings Parsons and Buck Zumhoffe versus Bill Irwin and Scott Irwin (dead)

Kerry Von Erich (dead) versus Ric Flair)

Kevin Von Erich, Mike Von Erich (dead), and Friz Von Erich (dead) versus Michael Hayes, Terry Gordy (dead), and Buddy Roberts

Somehow, Gino Hernandez and Bruiser Brody were not on this card, though they are probably the two most famous WCCW deaths outside of the Von Erichs.

Owen Hart died though from a freak accident (well, an unsafe stunt).

I put him in the same category of everyone dead from the steroids/painkillers era. Wrestling became ridiculously unsafe because the wrestlers had to be bigger (steroids) and the stunts had to be bigger (pain killers). Hart died because of a ridiculous stunt being used to get over a comedy feud in the mid-card. (Seriously, in 1983, a wrestler grappling from the top of the building would have been the main event. They wouldn't have even needed to have a match after that. When Owen died, it wasn't even on tv).

Jim Cornette summed it up perfectly. In the past, wrestlers used to pretend to hurt each and the people believed it. Now, wrestlers really do hurt each and people think it's fake. Who are the marks?

Snapping slim jims in memoriam.

THIS!!!!!! "OOOOOhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!, Snap into it!"

Im gonna miss Macho Man. This thread has made me miss a lot of wrestlers. I didnt even know the Big Boss Man and Mr. Perfect had died.

I saw this on another board, but if someone were to say "define the perfect pro wrestler," you might actually just end up describing Randy Savage.

Could he work in the ring? Hell yea. He could brawl. He could mat wrestle. He could do high flying stuff.

Could he sell? Like a champ.

Could he work the stick? Better than almost anyone. He probably invented the concept of a wrestling catch phrase.

Was he colorful? Between the tights, jackets, hats, and Elizabeth? Yea. just a little bit.

How did he look? Big enough to be believable with Hogan. Small enough to be believable with Steamboat.

Could he crossover? Snap into a Slim Jim.

I used to read the Apter mags as a kid. I could get WWF, Georgia, and Mid Atlantic Wrestling on tv, but was obsessed with Memphis and Florida. I wanted to see Kevin Sullivan's devil act. And I was fascinated with what I read about Memphis. They kept talking about this young Randy Savage like he was going to reinvent the sport. And then he showed up in New York...and did.

You can probably make the argument that Savage was the third bullet that McMahon had that could take down the old territory system. He had Hogan to hideline the big shows. And Piper was the perfect foil to Hogan. But Savage was the guy who could tear down the house as the headliner on the B shows. A WWF show headlined by Savage was better than anything the local yokels had to offer. So Savage could headline New Orleans the same night Hogan was headlining in Philly. And then, of course, he gave them a storyline for three years after the Hogan-Andre stuff was over.

Very sad day to lose one of the very best ever to grace the wrestling ring. Really wish that he wasn't blacklisted by the WWE and we got to embrace him as the true hall of famer he was. As a fan of wrestling my entire life days like this really hurt but especially since he was always regarded by me to be the best wrestler in the best decade of this business. RIP Randy Poffo, I will miss you and thank you for all of the highs you've given me. See you on the other side

---------- Post added May-20th-2011 at 01:19 PM ----------

At the rate they are dropping i'm sure he'll be collecting his money shortly.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan is a cancer survivor and a hell of a fighter. Very glad that he is still with us. Wish they all were :(.

RIP Macho. Remember seeing him a few times at the Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, NY, at "The Aud" and HSBC Arena in Buffalo and once at Toronto's Maple Leaf Garden. He was truely one of the best to ever do it.

EDIT: The WWE and TNA are honoring his death on their websites.

Archived