Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT (via SportsJunkies on 106.7): McNabb refused to wear a wristband

Popeman38

The worst part about all of this is that it came out at all. Despite Shanahan and Bruce Allen being on the job for a year and a half, the Redskins remain a dysfunctional operation. The fact that someone either leaked this or made it up speaks volumes about the character of some people still left in the organization and how much work is left to do before we have an actual professional team at Redskins Park. [/Quote]

How true. There's a heck of a lot of stuff that's leaked in the operation, whether it's stuff like this or trade rumors or draft day strategies. It needs to stop and I hope Bruce and Mike deal with the people who are on the leaking end. I would venture to say no other team in the league has as many leaks, and "inside sources" as the Redskins do.

How true. There's a heck of a lot of stuff that's leaked in the operation, whether it's stuff like this or trade rumors or draft day strategies. It needs to stop and I hope Bruce and Mike deal with the people who are on the leaking end. I would venture to say no other team in the league has as many leaks, and "inside sources" as the Redskins do.

Possible it was leaked by his agent to speed up his release and kill his trade value?

It seems most of the things "leaked" come out about players that are having issues with their team (not just the Redskins but across the board). With the media the way it is now it could be that we are seeing agents use this to "help" their clients get what they want.

Possible it was leaked by his agent to speed up his release and kill his trade value?

It seems most of the things "leaked" come out about players that are having issues with their team (not just the Redskins but across the board). With the media the way it is now it could be that we are seeing agents use this to "help" their clients get what they want.

I suppose it's possible, however improbable as been discussed in previous posts, but in the context of this quote, Tandler is saying that it came from within the organization, and there are people inside that organization who remain a steady source of leaks. His agent is outside the organization.

We will win the war if we're lucky enough to get draft pick(s) in return for McNabb. :)

It could easily just end up lowering his trade value in a couple of ways.

First, even if they guessed before now, pretty much any team will know that we are trying to unload him (especially if they believe this story). So, unless a bidding war starts between a few teams for his services (unlikely), they will likely just try to lowball us because we obviously are done with him and the contract he signed will pay him a bunch of money if he isn't traded or released before a certain date.

Second, if other teams believe this story or get reliable info that it is very much true, why would they want a QB like that on their team? A guy who has apparently had complaints about his work habits. A guy who has trouble picking up a new playbook. A guy who REFUSES to wear a wristband with plays on it to help him make the offense run correctly? Add in the fact that he is 34 years old. I have a hard time seeing teams drooling over the prospect of having him. I think we'll trade him but I doubt we'll get more than a 4th rounder for him, and I think that at this point even that may be optimistic.

Maybe I'm wrong, but did ANYONE have any idea what we were doing/going to do in the draft? I don't remember very many (accurate) "leaks" about that. And who cares about trade rumor leaks? They're just that--rumors--until they actually happen.

Maybe I'm wrong, but did ANYONE have any idea what we were doing/going to do in the draft? I don't remember very many (accurate) "leaks" about that. And who cares about trade rumor leaks? They're just that--rumors--until they actually happen.

I think they dropped intentional leaks to DISGUISE our true intentions. Remember, it was all about Gabbert or trading up to #2 in the draft, not trading down and drafting a white pass rusher from Purdue.

Does it even matter anymore? Can we just cut our losses with Mc5 & Fondlesworth and move the hell on. If Shanny and Bruce are changing the culture then, now is the time to do that (when the lock out is over). I'd rather suck without these two rather than still suck and. have to deal with these constant distractions with the back and forth he said/she said crap.

I guess this just goest to show that MS won't take BS as an excuse if MS says do it and you dont you get to warm the pine onya mike well done as for McGrabb err Mcnabb then he can go play in someone elses colours and we will have a QB we can trust to win games for us not some stupid players who is stupid cos he wont wear a wristband with plays on it This shows me that the quality of character and the way things are done in washington are improving

Football is a game of inches. Every player should be looking for every little advantage he can get to make that one extra play that make the difference in a game.

If McNabb is more concerned about his own personal image than winning games for his team, he can go ride someone else's pine.

Idiot.

AS far as I know NOBODY said any of this mess quoted above.

I wasn't saying you said it. I've read nothing but legitimate stories from you on this board. But rumors about Kyle calling more screens after he benched McNabb and Mike taking over play calling because Kyle got away from running plays were swirling around during and after the season from so called inside sources.

To those folks who are piling on Shannahan and Synder, just a few thoughts.

1. If you have an employee who refuses to do something, you can't make them. It's just impossible. You can tell them to, but if they refuse, you have little recourse except to fire them or "bench" them.In the real world, this means removing them from tasks, assigning them to do other things, etc. You can't send them to jail. The 'Skins could fine McNabb, but that wouldn't be anywhere near worth the PR headache, and it's not going to matter to him anyway. So in some of these situations, what you have to do is let an employee commit career suicide. Which is what I think Mike Shannahan did. And when he just couldn't take it any more, he benched him. This was definitely intended to send a message. I just don't think there's much more he COULD do.

2. LL56 has denied that the Synder component happened. If it did, I wouldn't blame Snyder for being irritated. It's one of those, "such is life" type of things. It is what it is. I don't know that MS could have done more than he did. But if you're the owner, you want him to be able to do more. That's natural.

I wasn't saying you said it. I've read nothing but legitimate stories from you on this board. But rumors about Kyle calling more screens after he benched McNabb and Mike taking over play calling because Kyle got away from running plays were swirling around during and after the season from so called inside sources.

well when i say insiders, i mean LL56 or TK, thats who i was referring to...

From an ESPN980 tweet, it looked like he said he didn't remember.

He alluded to the fact that McNabb may have been asked. (He was definitely asked :))

If you get a chance, listen to the interview.

EBJunkies Eric Bickel

McNabb won't deny it, Grossman says McNabb didn't want to wear one. Can we move on to something important. Please?

Grossman was asked about McNabb’s reported refusal to wear a wristband containing plays. “I don’t really recall that. I personally don’t like wearing a wristband, but that’s just traditional. Some teams do it. Some people like it. Some quarterbacks like it. Obviously, Donovan didn’t like it., so he didn’t want to do that. I don’t think think it was a major issue, a big problem with the coaching staff. I’m not sure where that came from, actually.”

Grossman specified that he’d spoken to McNabb about the issue, but had no firsthand knowledge of any conflict.“I just had conversations with him about wearing a wristband and I know that he told me that he doesn’t like to do that. That’s all I know. I don’t know their discussions or what they asked him to do. Obviously, if they asked him and really wanted him to do it and he outright refused, then it’s an issue, but I don’t know any of that firsthand.

I find this hard to believe. But if it is, shame on McNabb and Shanahan. McNabb was under contract so Shanahan should have said "You're wearing this **** wristband whether you want to or not".

And how do you enforce that with a grown man, do you spank him? :rolleyes:

If this is true, then Shanahan eventually did the only thing he could do: he made McNabb deal with the consequences when he didn't prove good enough in the offense to warrant not wearing a wrist band, and benched him.

I think the story was a half truth or exxageration.

When someone uses the word refuse, where I come from its a big deal=insubordination.

But, to me it seems like Mike gave them both McNabb and Rex the option and both didn't want to.

Which is quite different from the way the story was presented.

The story framed it as insubordination, I think its clear from Grossman that it wasn't a case of insubordination.

Archived