Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT (via SportsJunkies on 106.7): McNabb refused to wear a wristband

Popeman38

I find this hard to believe. But if it is, shame on McNabb and Shanahan. McNabb was under contract so Shanahan should have said "You're wearing this **** wristband whether you want to or not".

Except the reality is you can't make anyone in this world do anything. They choose to do everything, even the things they ***** and moan about doing. Believe it or not; Big Al chose to do the conditioning test, he didn't have to. Obviously he had to to play football, but it was a conscious choice to do it.

And as I had thought from the beginning, this wasn't them demanding he wear it. They proposed the idea and he told them he wasn't a fan. Obviously internally they had issues with it but they kept it among the coaching staff or didn't propose it to McNabb directly.

Which is quite different from the way the story was presented.

The story framed it as insubordination, I think its clear from Grossman that it wasn't a case of insubordination.

i heard the interview, and i took it a little differently. there were a few points during that interview that he was clearly not speaking freely, for obvious reasons. i think this was one of those times.

but- even if its true that he wasnt aware it wasnt a problem, i wouldnt be surprised about that. it seems like this issue was basically the icing on the cake- the proverbial straw that broke shannys back- rather than a single major episode. it may not have been known to the team.

Where I come from if I say:

Hey do you want to wear this wristband?

Is very different from:

Hey, wear this wrist band.

The answer to both can be no, but the consequences will be very, very different.

That's very true, but if someone in a position of authority above you says "Hey, do you want to wear this wristband?" he could come off as less authoritative, and it may incite more insubordination.

That's very true, but if someone in a position of authority above you says "Hey, do you want to wear this wristband?" he could come off as less authoritative, and it may incite more insubordination.
Most people in a leadership position know they better make it clear wether they're asking vs. telling.

Imo this wasn't a case of refusal as the rumor suggested.

It was a question of preference not an edict.

Most people in a leadership position know they better make it clear wether they're asking vs. telling.

Imo this wasn't a case of refusal as the rumor suggested.

It was a question of preference not an edict.

Honest question, how did Shanny phrase it? I haven't seen anything on what he said to McNabb. If that's the case, then I agree with you.

i heard the interview, and i took it a little differently. there were a few points during that interview that he was clearly not speaking freely, for obvious reasons. i think this was one of those times.

I got the same sense that you did...and fwiw, Sheehan and Loverro felt the same way.

In many work situations, it's not unusual for a manager to "suggest" something to an employee, especially a senior level employee, that is well short of ordering that person to do it or else. It's just professional courtesy.

Now if that employee doesn't act on the advice for whatever reason, it obviously leaves an impression with the manager. And, sometimes, those impressions add up and the manager does something about it: removes the employee from the project, maybe even makes plans to fire or replace the employee.

I think that's probably what we have here.

Donovan's a good guy, he's got a proven record of success. His resume is established. But he seems to be having trouble with all the aspects of the new system.

"Hey Donovan, would it help if you wore a wristband to help you through some of the plays?"

"No way, Coach. I don't need that. Besides, that would make me look bad."

"Well, okay. Have it your way."

Benched for the two-minute drill because we can't use the whole playbook quickly enough.

In many work situations, it's not unusual for a manager to "suggest" something to an employee, especially a senior level employee, that is well short of ordering that person to do it or else. It's just professional courtesy.

Now if that employee doesn't act on the advice for whatever reason, it obviously leaves an impression with the manager. And, sometimes, those impressions add up and the manager does something about it: removes the employee from the project, maybe even makes plans to fire or replace the employee.

I think that's probably what we have here.

Donovan's a good guy, he's got a proven record of success. His resume is established. But he seems to be having trouble with all the aspects of the new system.

"Hey Donovan, would it help if you wore a wristband to help you through some of the plays?"

"No way, Coach. I don't need that. Besides, that would make me look bad."

"Well, okay. Have it your way."

Benched for the two-minute drill because we can't use the whole playbook quickly enough.

I agree.

But if you want someone to do something you don't suggest.

That's bad management imo.

There should be a clear distinction between a directive and a suggestion.

And how do you enforce that with a grown man, do you spank him? :rolleyes:
Well he's getting paid millions. He's an employee of the Washington Redskins and he should do what he is told within reason. It doesn't get more reasonable than telling a QB to wear a wristband that NEEDS to. Players should not be allowed to have THAT much freedom. There should be monetary repercussions for actions such as those.

Archived