Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT (via SportsJunkies on 106.7): McNabb refused to wear a wristband

Popeman38

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/12/report-mcnabb-refused-to-wear-a-wristband-with-plays/

As the marriage between the Redskins and quarterback Donovan McNabb moves toward an inevitable divorce (annulment may be the better word), our friends at the Sports Junkies on 106.7 the Fan in D.C. have added a little grease to the fire. According to the Sports Junkies, citing multiple unnamed sources, coach Mike Shanahan asked McNabb to wear a wristband after he struggled to remember plays. McNabb declined, explaining that it would make him look stupid.

Per the report, owner Daniel Snyder became furious with Shanahan when he learned after the season that McNabb wouldn’t wear a wristband.

So wherever McNabb plays in 2011, it’ll be interesting to see whether he’ll wear a wristband.

If true, this raises a couple interesting points:

1) Dan Snyder had no intimate involvement in football at all last year

2) Tom Brady wears a wristband, does that hurt his image?

3) McNabb swears all he cares about is winning; this contradicts that and makes it clear he cares more about his image

Thoughts?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/12/report-mcnabb-refused-to-wear-a-wristband-with-plays/

If true, this raises a couple interesting points:

1) Dan Snyder had no intimate involvement in football at all last year

2) Tom Brady wears a wristband, does that hurt his image?

3) McNabb swears all he cares about is winning; this contradicts that and makes it clear he cares more about his image

Thoughts?

Why would Snyder be furious with Shanahan!? McNabb is the guy that refused to wear a wristband in year one of the offense, because of fashion.

Must be a typo lmao...unless he was furious that Shanny didn't go tattle to the owner about the wristband....

But yeah, if there's any shread of truth behind this, its no wonder McNabb found himself in the doghouse.

Why would Snyder be furious with Shanahan!? McNabb is the guy that refused to wear a wristband in year one of the offense, because of fashion.

Must be a typo lmao

Exactly! Either a typo or they tossed the Snyder part in there to spice up the article. I call BS on the Snyder part.

Must be a typo lmao

Because Shanahan is the head coach he's responsible for making his players do what it takes to win.

This just goes to show that nobody really knows what happened behind the scenes last year except the players and Shanahan. While the Shanahans may have been dishonest about the reasons McNabb was benched, they weren't going to throw their player under the bus.

This also shows that McNabb isn't as much of a leader as people think.

are they sayin Snyder was furious with Shanahan, as in furious at Shanahan...or Snyder was furious with Shanahan as in furious with McNabb (along with Shanahan)???

The claim is that he was "furious at" Shanny.

The second issues is with Snyder berating Shanahan. Like I said if this did happen, this would be a shocker. Everyone believed that Shanahan was brought in by Snyder, because he knew he would not interfere with football business. That was the case with Joe Gibbs, Snyder never told him what to do. If Shanahan truly is taking occasional orders from the boss, what more has been said or dictated?

Pretty impressed that Shanahan did not release this (or as some would say, throw him under the bus) when people were raking him over the coals for even thinking of playing Grossman over McNabb.

Some of the people critical of Shanahan for the end of the Detroit game have some mea culpas.

Mcnabb part is true, Snyder's is not. This happend during Detroit week and is why Rex was on alert to play and lead to benching.

Is there any truth to the Snyder story? Was there a dinner involving Snyder, Shanahan, Allen, and Fletcher Smith where Snyder learned about this?

I for one buy the Snyder angle...big shock, eh? Just more evidence of the whole Inmates Running The Asylum syndrome we have seen since Snyder took over...just ask who Snyder favored between Clinton Portis and Jim Zorn.

Snyder has always favored the athlete over the coach. And I never bought the idea that he didn't interfere when Gibbs was here. Gibbs had to get on the phone to talk to Snyder when getting rid of LaVar Arrington, indicating that Saint Joe wasn't calling all the shots.

Just because someone says they're not doing something, doesn't mean they aren't doing it. Just look at our politicians. Other people benefit from toeing the company line too.

I for one buy the Snyder angle...big shock, eh? Just more evidence of the whole Inmates Running The Asylum syndrome we have seen since Snyder took over...just ask who Snyder favored between Clinton Portis and Jim Zorn.

Snyder has always favored the athlete over the coach. And I never bought the idea that he didn't interfere when Gibbs was here. Gibbs had to get on the phone to talk to Snyder when getting rid of LaVar Arrington, indicating that Saint Joe wasn't calling all the shots.

Just because someone says they're not doing something, doesn't mean they aren't doing it. Just look at our politicians. Other people benefit from toeing the company line too.

But read it again, it says, "Per the report, Snyder was furious with Shanahan because McNabb refused to wear a wristband". I can understand Snyder being mad because of the benching, but why would he be pissed that McNabb didn't wear the wristband? That makes no sense for an owner to get angry over that. I know Snyder has been known for some crazy stuff, but that honestly doesn't make any sense.

But read it again, it says, "Per the report, Snyder was furious with Shanahan because McNabb refused to wear a wristband". I can understand Snyder being mad because of the benching, but why would he be pissed that McNabb didn't wear the wristband? That makes no sense for an owner to get angry over that. I know Snyder has been known for some crazy stuff, but that honestly doesn't make any sense.

It doesn't. The only thing I can figure is that Dan was offended his darling baby was asked to wear a wristband.

But I can't even see that. Ah well, LL56 already posted the Snyder stuff wasn't true. Since it doesn't make any sense, I'm going with that.

Archived