Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT (via SportsJunkies on 106.7): McNabb refused to wear a wristband

Popeman38

He was not a team player here. Everyone needs to get over hurting Donovan's feelings. He's a football player, stop being so sensitive to him. He didn't do what was asked of him by the coaches. So, they did what they had to do. It's not like he was Sonny Jurgensen here, he was the Eagles guy for 11 years, not our guy. Forget McNabb's feelings, no one should feel sorry for him, he made more money last year than any of us did.

I find this all so funny. I was against the signing of McNabb. I would have been fine with a Cambpell/Grossman competition and keeping our picks. Now I'm fine with a Grossman/Beck or Beck/whatever other young QB we can get without having to give up picks.

This story doesn't change my opinion of Snyder, Shanny, or McNabb.

jason campebll i dont think bothered to wear one either

It has nothing to do with bothering to wear one, it is not doing it when you are asked to.

And Campbell did...

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?310162-RI-Cooley-Playcalling-is-a-carousel-of-calls

"I mean, they don't have direct communication. Jim Zorn and Chris Meidt, who is Jason Campbell's quarterbacks coach, do all the coaching for Jason. So, anyway, that's confusing, I know. It was easier on TV this week when they just drew pictures of everyone. But what happens is we get to game day, Sherman Lewis sits in the box; he calls plays. He's the play caller. And he calls them down to our offensive coordinator, another person in the mix, Sherman Smith. And he looks at plays and basically calls them - they're wristband numbers - so he'll say, 'Wristband 5,' and that's what's relayed to Jason Campbell, who then looks at his wristband and calls that play. The funny thing is, is that when we want to call a run play, Sherman Lewis will call and say, 'give me a run' and then Sherman Smith has to pick a run and give that to Jason. So it's, uh, it's a carousel of calls."

Well I find this troubling on all accounts.

McNabb shouldn't refuse to wear the band.(the guy wore the damn wrist band in college)

Kyle should be able to get his QB to wear a wrist band.

Mike shouldn't ask his QB to do anything he tells his QB what to do and it should only happen 1 time.

This makes McNabb look like a douche, stupid and a hypocrite.

It make Kyle look weak.

It make Mike look clueless.

I was feeling weird about the direction this team is going now I have serious doubts.

I am with you on this one. I lose a little respect for Mike no matter what he was thinking. However I do wonder what was going through his head when he didnt bench the fool outright. Maybe he thought, for whatever reason, it was better for the team NOT to make the change yet and put the team and all the players in media madness. It happened anyway, but maybe he thought he could avaoid it? Maybe he thought failing would teach McNabb a lesson?

I dont know. But I would sure like to.

I find this easy to believe. Shanahan obviously did not do his homework in bringing in McNabb and while he deserves full blame for that, I can understand what his mindset was.

Shanahan was fired and spent the next year in an office studying, visiting Pats camp, Steelers camp, and the Gators. He was looking for ways to improve by incorporating what other successful organizations were doing and seeing what he could implement in his next job. At McNabb's introductory press conference, Mike made it a point to reference that both he and McNabb were in essence fired by their previous teams. He also pointed out how he got Elway at nearly the same point in his career and Elway was able to make the leap to Super Bowl qb under his watch. He thought that McNabb, motivated by being traded within the division would take that the same approach he did. Shanahan thought he would be motivated to prove Reid wrong and take his game to the next level & not be content with what his career bad been to date.

McNabb IMO did not look at it that way. He did come into camp in better shape but was resistant to coaching and tweaks that the coaches felt could make him even better. McNabb took the "I know what I'm doing approach" and based what Shanahan did in his off-year, that was in complete contradiction to how he handles himself and probably expected out of his QB.

Shanahan made a mistake in not doing his homework on McNabb before the deal. I can see how it was probably easy to make the assumption like many of us did that McNabb had that work ethic but we are fans, he runs the team. Whats done is done...He's recognized the mistake and we're moving on. I am truly disappointed in #5 though. He has had great success in this league, but he should also realize he had not taken that final step tp being a Super Bowl QB. Refusing to wear a wristband, refusing to tweak footwork, and assuming you're owed something by a new team based on your resume why he has not maximized his potential and probably why interest in him is lukewarm at best.

To me, wearing the wrist band is like a waiter or waitress writing down your order. When I order food, I want my order to be right. I don't care if you think you don't need to write it down, it better be right. I hate when they try to remember it, then they have to come back later and ask what you ordered or just screw it up. With the wristband, wear it if you want. But you better know the plays, get the calls right and win. Not wearing the wristband and losing doesn't impress me.

I am convinced Donovan's camp leaked this themselves.

Why would anyone affiliated with the Redskins leak to 106.7?

McNabb's camp leaked it to lower his trade value and the Redskins outright release him.

McNabb would most likely make more money if traded and also look like a fool. So why would his camp ledk this info? This is bizarre . Why the info now? When did you hear about this LL?

He was not a team player here. Everyone needs to get over hurting Donovan's feelings. He's a football player, stop being so sensitive to him. He didn't do what was asked of him by the coaches. So, they did what they had to do.

this is the correct answer.

---------- Post added May-12th-2011 at 10:05 PM ----------

Wow...

I thought the Shanahans were being petty and stupid, especially since the excuses they made (cardiovascular conditioning anyone?) were idiotic.

But now I can see they actually took the high road while McNabb is an idiot.

i'd like to take a moment to gloat and say i knew shanny was covering for mcnabb not knowing the offense (even if i'm only doing so cuz i'm rarely actually correct :) )

Archived