Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OL needs at Center: Is there an undrafted FA we could develop?

bird_1972

I realize this is a thread on centers, but I see us spilling over into interior lineman discussion. So, does anyone have any thoughts on Maurice Hurt? I know he fell in the draft because of testing positive for marijuana at the combine. Beyond that big strike, he seems like a good sized, fairly nasty guy who played with the Pouncy twins. Is he just camp fodder, or could he be a pleasant surprise?

I realize this is a thread on centers, but I see us spilling over into interior lineman discussion. So, does anyone have any thoughts on Maurice Hurt? I know he fell in the draft because of testing positive for marijuana at the combine. Beyond that big strike, he seems like a good sized, fairly nasty guy who played with the Pouncy twins. Is he just camp fodder, or could he be a pleasant surprise?

Due to lack of depth, I think he'll make the 53 and get some quality playing time as a backup.

So what have we done this offseason thus far to make certain 2011 doesn't end up like 2010 did from an OL perspective?

I mean, we really haven't added but one OL player in the draft and he's probably a practice squad candidate, at best.

Course, you forget that young players CAN improve and take on the roles of veterans already there.

Then there's the fact that we haven't had FA yet.

Kory Lichtensteiger -- possible, but he's a starting guard and Skins are thin at guard too.

Will Montgomery -- Passable in a pinch. Is he a long-term starter or do opponents soon figure out what he doesn't do well? Here again -- he's dual use, and we get thinner at Guard.

Isn't that a statement that we should get more guards? Personally, I'd be glad to switch out Lichtensteiger, who was often overmatched. Course, part of the problem rating these guys at center is that we haven't seen them play much there.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2011 at 12:23 AM ----------

Due to lack of depth, I think he'll make the 53 and get some quality playing time as a backup.

No, he will ride the PS like the 7th rounders last year.

Rabach's "leadership" is vastly overrated, methinks. I didn't see his awesome leadership when the Lions decimated and embarrassed the o-line. I also noticed how much better the line played when Rabach was out in the Titans game.

The number of times he stepped on McNabb's foot is grounds for termination alone in my eyes.

Rabach's "leadership" is vastly overrated, methinks. I didn't see his awesome leadership when the Lions decimated and embarrassed the o-line. I also noticed how much better the line played when Rabach was out in the Titans game.

The number of times he stepped on McNabb's foot is grounds for termination alone in my eyes.

In all fairness, the entire offensive line was overmatched by the lions defensive line, purely from a talent standpoint. As was said earlier, having Lich start the season at guard gave him a good view of what was going on at C, if the skins sign 2 guards in fa then I see him taking over for Rabach. If that doesn't happen, and Lich stays at lg, then maybe another year of Casey, unless Montgomery steps up big time and flat out beats him in camp.

I thought once Lich settled in at guard he did quite well. I wouldn't have a problem w him starting there again next year.

In all fairness, the entire offensive line was overmatched by the lions defensive line, purely from a talent standpoint. As was said earlier, having Lich start the season at guard gave him a good view of what was going on at C, if the skins sign 2 guards in fa then I see him taking over for Rabach. If that doesn't happen, and Lich stays at lg, then maybe another year of Casey, unless Montgomery steps up big time and flat out beats him in camp.

I thought once Lich settled in at guard he did quite well. I wouldn't have a problem w him starting there again next year.

I would agree that Rabach and any other guard that lined up against Suh was overmatched. But I don't feel that Williams, Vanden Bosch, or Avril couldn't be contained. It was quite simple, though, that the Lions scheme was too much, and Rabach wasn't making the proper adjustments at the line.

man, i sure hope we find something that works at center. rabach's play really has been in question for years now, though not everyone noticed.

i do wonder just how tough the center job is though, it must be something difficult to pass on to another guy, or i dont see why shanny would have signed rabach for so long.

the line looked much better under montgomery last year.

I think Mony will give CR a good run for his money at C - I can imagine we will look at the FA for upgrades at C and G but Monty has already been knocking about the legue for a bit and recently was inducted into the HoF - (Fairfax county) and is a fantastic utility guy (played DT in collage) who has spent time at C and G for us the Jets and Panthers . If he doesn't start (assuming he is either under contract or will resign) he adds great utility depth.

Could he be a starter (possibly) He is good at the point of attack, smart doesn't give up on blocks and is athletic enough to help in the run game at the second level . Redskins.com have even put together a highlight real of him - not many backups C/G have that in the league

http://blog.redskins.com/2011/03/07/will-montgomery-hall-of-famer/

With Monty at C (potentailly) the line could look something like this with no FA additions Trent Williams, Kory Lichtensteiger, Will Montgomery, Mike Williams (possibly) , Jamal Brown but depth is very very weak .

IF we were able to sign Joeseph and Harris I think the forner would start and the latter would be a backup and given Harris injury record I would expect to see minimal demand around the league for his services . We would still need depth and we would still potentially need competition at most of the spots on the line

Kory Lichtensteiger -- possible, but he's a starting guard and Skins are thin at guard too.

Will Montgomery -- Passable in a pinch. Is he a long-term starter or do opponents soon figure out what he doesn't do well? Here again -- he's dual use, and we get thinner at Guard.

Erik Cook -- Practice Squadder 7th rounder who's awfully tall to be a center. Either he's really being kept under wraps, or he's not that outstanding -- havent heard anything about Cook, and no other team tried plucking him off of our practice squad. (Lots of Skins PS'ers have been getting their roster spots on other teams)

I think we need a center -- I was crushed when we went with Jarvis Jenkins (17 reps?) over Steve Wisniewski a very talented ZBS style center noted for his on-field tactical intelligence and leadership..

After Cook was drafted I read many analyst views and they made is sound like he is too tall, stiff, slow and passive. I hope they are wrong and his smarts can trump his downfalls. I don't see our Center on the roster unless it's Rabach again. I think Wisniewski went earlier than expected. Imagine that, Raiders reaching...and us being jealous. Jarvis fills a big need...now he needs to toughen up!

I would agree that Rabach and any other guard that lined up against Suh was overmatched. But I don't feel that Williams, Vanden Bosch, or Avril couldn't be contained. It was quite simple, though, that the Lions scheme was too much, and Rabach wasn't making the proper adjustments at the line.

Domino effect.

Vanden Bosch is no slouch, and the starting LT was a rookie...

Personally I was hoping Will Montgomery would get the nod like he did during the Titans game. Rahbach was getting beat and or thrown around all during the game while he was in, then he comes up lame and Will stepped in and did admirably. Plus Will is listed as a C/OG.

I really wonder how Big Mike is doing and if he will be able to play after his blood clot. Then we have Brown at RT who ended up injured last yr. I really hope the team starts more younger healthier guys this yr. Let the older Vets play back up roles.

I really wonder how Big Mike is doing and if he will be able to play after his blood clot. Then we have Brown at RT who ended up injured last yr. I really hope the team starts more younger healthier guys this yr. Let the older Vets play back up roles.

Unless he has a reversible cause for the blood clot, he may require lifetime (or at least long-term) anticoagulation therapy. That would mean no football.

you can bet that there will be competition for the center position. I imagine we are one of the first teams to bring in Kirkpatrick, O'Dowd for tryout and once FA opens up we will fill our G position with Davin Joseph and RT with Ryan Harris

My bet is we pick someone to play center from our roster and sign a guard from FA.

But, if we don't, another UDFA that we should look at is Zane Taylor, C, Utah (6'2" 308), benched 225 41 times at his pro day.

Guy is extremely smart, had very good games against some of the top teams in college (Oregon, TCU). He wasn't expected to be drafted (as lots of centers aren't) but he'd be a really great prospect to bring in and move Rabach out, plus, I don't think it would take him long to learn the calls.

you can bet that there will be competition for the center position. I imagine we are one of the first teams to bring in Kirkpatrick, O'Dowd for tryout and once FA opens up we will fill our G position with Davin Joseph and RT with Ryan Harris

O'dowd looked horrible at the combine and senior bowl. Everyone used him as a doormat.

His nfl career was over before it began.

If it were up to me, I'd pass. I'm pretty sure the FO will think the same thing.

Interesting. Maybe the solution is to move Monty to C and Hurt to G.

There are still a lot of big ifs about BMW, if he can recover enough from his condition to play and if he can hold his own at G.

Has anyone heard anything about BMW since last July? Seriously, is he going to be okay or is he going to have to deal with this for the rest of his life? Is his career over?

Has anyone heard anything about BMW since last July? Seriously, is he going to be okay or is he going to have to deal with this for the rest of his life? Is his career over?

I have no direct knowledge of his circumstance but if his problem was an uncomplicated blood clot it is possible to be treated with as short a course of treatment as six months of anticoagulation, after which he could be cleared to return to play.

If his clots were caused by an intrinsic tendency to clot in his blood, he would have a minimum of a year of treatment before it would be reasonable to return. He would also of course be at increased risk for recurrence at any time.

So I think it is possible he could be return but it is also possible, especially if he has an intrinsic clotting problem, that the team feels he is at too much risk for recurrence to try to bring back.

Archived