Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OL needs at Center: Is there an undrafted FA we could develop?

bird_1972

I don't believe Rabach will be the starter next year. I see either Kory Lichtensteiger (sp?) or Wilbert Montgomery moving to center as that is their natural position. I also see Cook, the center we drafted in the 7th round of the 2010 draft getting a backup position. We will improve the guard / center position via free agency when the NFL has a new CBA.

Rabach's experience and line calls make him a plus. Unfortunately, the same age that factors in his experience has produced a guy who just cannot handle the massive nose tackles he has to face. I'm sure he's trying his best and is a locker room leader, but at some point, the only factor that's important against a 3-4 defense is how well the center can block the nose tackle. Currently Rabach can't. As far as intangibles, character, leadership, experience, Rabach is tops. Unfortunately as to the factor that is most important to a center, run and pass-blocking, Rabach falls dismally short.

Montgomery and Lichtensteiger are questionable at guard as starters. Making them a center is not a fix for this awful OLine. Maybe they are better blockers but they certainly don't have the experience at center. There's a lot of hope for them. But the talent is questionable.

I think Shanahan played Lichtensteiger at guard last year to get him in the lineup and groom him as future center.

Having him playing beside Rabach where he can see the defense and hear the calls in live action is one way to prep him for taking over direction of the offensive line

Whether or not he replaces him this year or not, I don't know, but I think it's coming.

The Titans did this with Eugene Amano and Kevin Mawae. It may be where Shanahan possibly got the thought because he's buddies with Jeff Fisher.

Rabach's experience and line calls make him a plus. Unfortunately, the same age that factors in his experience has produced a guy who just cannot handle the massive nose tackles he has to face. I'm sure he's trying his best and is a locker room leader, but at some point, the only factor that's important against a 3-4 defense is how well the center can block the nose tackle. Currently Rabach can't. As far as intangibles, character, leadership, experience, Rabach is tops. Unfortunately as to the factor that is most important to a center, run and pass-blocking, Rabach falls dismally short.

Montgomery and Lichtensteiger are questionable at guard as starters. Making them a center is not a fix for this awful OLine. Maybe they are better blockers but they certainly don't have the experience at center. There's a lot of hope for them. But the talent is questionable.

You do know that Lich was drafted in Denver by Shanny to be a C right?

Centers on the roster:

Rabach

Lichtenstieger

Will Montgomery

Eric Cook.

Seriously? You guys want another center? One of the three below the top one will win out but we may be stuck with ole turnstile Rabach another season.

If this is true, than you're saying we have several centers on the roster and NONE of them are better than Rabach.

In that case, we do need another center. Badly.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 02:20 PM ----------

You do know that Lich was drafted in Denver by Shanny to be a C right?

If that's the case, why didn't we start him at C last season when it was clear that Rabach just wasn't cutting the mustard?

Centers on the roster:

Rabach

Lichtenstieger

Will Montgomery

Eric Cook.

Seriously? You guys want another center? One of the three below the top one will win out but we may be stuck with ole turnstile Rabach another season.

please refer to him by the correct name... it is "Easy Pass" Rabach......sometimes turnstiles offer some resistance

If this is true, than you're saying we have several centers on the roster and NONE of them are better than Rabach.

In that case, we do need another center. Badly.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 02:20 PM ----------

If that's the case, why didn't we start him at C last season when it was clear that Rabach just wasn't cutting the mustard?

Why? who's playing LG then for us? We had no LG and Dockery wasn't a good fit so we stuck it out with Lich at LG. I think Lich is a C but it wouldn't surprise me if he's still the LG heading into week 1

Why? who's playing LG then for us? We had no LG and Dockery wasn't a good fit so we stuck it out with Lich at LG. I think Lich is a C but it wouldn't surprise me if he's still the LG heading into week 1

If he is LG, we still need a solution at C.

How about looking on our own roster? We have three other linemen who can play center. People whine about center, but the bigger need is at guard.

I can understand why Rabach was out there last year. The center is the glue of the line and makes all the line adjustments. With all the changes that went across the line all year long, you want a steady veteran to lead the group. With everyone having a year under their belt, the coaching staff can look at what they have and see if they have a replacement on the roster.

Really? That's not what I saw last season. Montgomery took over for Rabach at Center in the Titans game...and suddenly our line looked completely different.

Rabach is by far, the weak link. He has been since 2008.

Check this thread out for some more analysis about Kory Lichtensteiger at LG.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?344073-Just-watched-Lichtensteiger-vs.-NYG-week-17

What with Davin Joseph seeming like a lock in FA (if it ever happens) at RG, moving Monty to C seems like a very good way to improve 40% of our line with 1 FA signing.

Where are you getting this info from? I never heard he was a lock.

As is Ryan Harris as pretty much a lock as well for FA

This I have heard.

Any idea how much $$$ these guys will likely go for?

Will it prevent us from drafting OL high next year?

(as an aside, I think that relying on on older OL in FA should not be a long-term solution for this team - we should build OL through the draft just as we do the rest of the team)

Because Rabach had something the other centers didn't: experience. Given all the players moving in and out of the line and the fact that he makes the line adjustments, having Rabach be the glue that holds the line together was a no brainer. It also didn't help that the other centers were needed to play guard eventually.

Because Rabach had something the other centers didn't: experience. Given all the players moving in and out of the line and the fact that he makes the line adjustments, having Rabach be the glue that holds the line together was a no brainer. It also didn't help that the other centers were needed to play guard eventually.

So what have we done this offseason thus far to make certain 2011 doesn't end up like 2010 did from an OL perspective?

I mean, we really haven't added but one OL player in the draft and he's probably a practice squad candidate, at best.

So what have we done this offseason thus far to make certain 2011 doesn't end up like 2010 did from an OL perspective?

I mean, we really haven't added but one OL player in the draft and he's probably a practice squad candidate, at best.

Is this what's keeping us from hoisting the Lombardi Trophy?

:munchout:

Is this what's keeping us from hoisting the Lombardi Trophy?

:munchout:

Not at all.

Obviously, the team is a work in progress. We need lots of stuff (some of which hopefully was adressed in this year's draft).

It's just that we need to have some kind of plan to improve the interior OL, don't you think?

FA lock. That is an interesting phrase. Free Agent (meaning they can go anywhere they want) and lock (meaning they can only do one thing). Even if the Redskins want FA player X, that player and Agent may find their best deal elsewhere. This year, will there even be Free Agency?

As far as I am currently aware, the only sure things available at this point is the draft rights for players selected in the draft, and the team personnel currently under contract.

I personnally want O-Lineman added to the team via draft, because (in my opinion) that is how long term play-off teams are built. If the line can open holes for the running game, you don't have to have a franchise back. If the line can protect the QB, you don't have to have a top 5 QB (think of the Ravens SB winning team for heavens sake).

I guess it depends on how you look at the Skins' center situation:

Rabach -- getting older and even less effective. He's starting to get injured -- and if he gets injured you're having to slot in a backup.

Potential Backups?

Kory Lichtensteiger -- possible, but he's a starting guard and Skins are thin at guard too.

Will Montgomery -- Passable in a pinch. Is he a long-term starter or do opponents soon figure out what he doesn't do well? Here again -- he's dual use, and we get thinner at Guard.

Erik Cook -- Practice Squadder 7th rounder who's awfully tall to be a center. Either he's really being kept under wraps, or he's not that outstanding -- havent heard anything about Cook, and no other team tried plucking him off of our practice squad. (Lots of Skins PS'ers have been getting their roster spots on other teams)

I think we need a center -- I was crushed when we went with Jarvis Jenkins (17 reps?) over Steve Wisniewski a very talented ZBS style center noted for his on-field tactical intelligence and leadership.

But that's done now -- so the Skins do need to look for a good ZBS center. After all, most of Shanahan's teams had a good one -- and if we wind up starting either Beck or Grossman at QB , we're going to need better pocket protection versus those pushes straight up the middle. I think Rabach's getting more prone to injury now, and should that happen -- we don't have a lot of options. And unless we free up Lichtensteiger for the role it's not clear to me that Cook or Montgomery could be a long-term solution.

Archived