Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OL needs at Center: Is there an undrafted FA we could develop?

bird_1972

We are in dire need of C. Rabach is a liability and the condition of the interior of our line will continue to plague our offense and hinder the development of any QB we put back there.

My questions are two-fold.

1) Are there any good diamonds in the rough that did not get drafted that could fill in at C or at least be developed?

2) Given the lockout, are undrafted FAs allowed to be signed/brought in?

How about looking on our own roster? We have three other linemen who can play center. People whine about center, but the bigger need is at guard.

I can understand why Rabach was out there last year. The center is the glue of the line and makes all the line adjustments. With all the changes that went across the line all year long, you want a steady veteran to lead the group. With everyone having a year under their belt, the coaching staff can look at what they have and see if they have a replacement on the roster.

I thnk we have guys on the roster that will play center. I honestly don't think he will start this year. I see him as a backup.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 12:16 AM ----------

How about looking on our own roster? We have three other linemen who can play center. People whine about center, but the bigger need is at guard.

I can understand why Rabach was out there last year. The center is the glue of the line and makes all the line adjustments. With all the changes that went across the line all year long, you want a steady veteran to lead the group. With everyone having a year under their belt, the coaching staff can look at what they have and see if they have a replacement on the roster.

U sya the bigger need is guard...but don't forget about Big Mike WIlliams coming back this year. and don't forget there are a number of formidable ZBS guards in this upcoming free agency.

The only undrafted Center that I can think of is Kris O'Dowd. 4 year starter at USC but very injury prone, that's why he wasn't drafted.

Odowd was supposed to be a late 1st / 2nd round pick, if we could pick up a guy like him in UFA I am wondering why we didnt claim him with one of the 7th round picks.

Odowd was supposed to be a late 1st / 2nd round pick, if we could pick up a guy like him in UFA I am wondering why we didnt claim him with one of the 7th round picks.

O'Dowd has late 1st/early 2nd talent but he's as brittle as a china doll. He's had multiple surgeries and sprains that didnt require surgery. he probably was off the Skins board entirely due to medical red flags.

I trust Pat Kirwin from NFL & NFL Sirius Radio. This is what he said:

Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU: He's better than some of the centers drafted, and is one tough guy. This is another player from the Senior Bowl that teams missed out on. He only played one year of high school football. Go watch how well he battles a nose tackle.

This is one area that I really question Mike on. He loves Rabach. He loves him because Rabach says and does all the right things, but is a clear liability on the field come game time. That's a problem. Both need to come to grips with the fact that he is no longer a viable starting Center. He needs to go. He can rant and whine all he wants, but his level of play has sharply declined. Frankly he should be embarrassed the way he gets pushed around out there. Pride can be expensive. We have alternatives, but Rabach is a favorite of Mike's, therefore he plays.

K. Lichtensteiger at Center maybe????

Lichtensteiger 6'2 292 lbs. is an option, or Will Montgomery 6'3 310 lbs., or Eric Cook 6'6 320 lbs. Cook may be better at guard though at his height.

Mike likes Kory, and he has played Will at center when Casey was hurt. We'll have to see how they look in training camp and preseason, if we have one.

I really liked watching Kirkpatrick at the senior bowl. Also, we should take a look at Tim Barnes from Missouri, Ryan Bartholomew from Syracuse, Kowalski from Toledo, and Alex Linkensomething from Oregon State. The kid from Utah (Zane something) is worth a look too. O'Dowd didn't impress me at the Senior Bowl...he looked lost.

We should target Jake Kirkpatrick and Tim Barnes as UDFAs. It won't hurt if they compete with other options that we have on our roster.

The more I read about Kirkpatrick, the more I like him.

Are we unable to sign UDFAs due to the lockout? I assume so.

Archived