Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Various sources: Osama bin Laden is dead. (Merged)

ixcuincle

Wow. And the idea that this was the ballsiest foreign policy/nation security decision since the Cuban Missle Crisis gains more traction. This isn't Panama or Grenada. This is a nuclear power with a massive population bordering a country we're fighting a war in.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/seals-have-been-over-there-before-just-quietly/story-fn8ljzlv-1226052818060

The difference between the raid on the Abbottobad, and prior raids, is the raid on Osama's compound wasn't a hop, skip, and a jump across the border. Abbottobad is fairly decent sized city deep inside Pakistan. Plus, the operation sounded like it was rather large, at least as far as special operations are concerned.

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 09:41 PM ----------

I wouldn't go nearly so far as to say it was the ballsiest move ever, but I will go so far as to say that the only people who are saying the operation was a "no brainer" are partisan conservatives who don't want to acknowledge that the operation entailed substantial risks. Obviously, the SEALs took the biggest risks. However, if the operation went awry and/or Osama wasn't in the compound, Obama could have been left with a lot of egg on his face.

Obviously, the SEALs took the biggest risks. However, if the operation went awry and/or Osama wasn't in the compound, Obama could have been left with a lot of egg on his face.

I have been complimentary of the decision, but ballsy is actually going deep within....not simply risking political fallout.

Not like we ain't losing men all the time...or that you would even have heard of it if he wasn't there.:2cents:

Guest Spearfeather
The difference between the raid on the Abbottobad, and prior raids, is the raid on Osama's compound wasn't a hop, skip, and a jump across the border. Abbottobad is fairly decent sized city deep inside Pakistan. Plus, the operation sounded like it was rather large, at least as far as special operations are concerned.

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 09:41 PM ----------

I wouldn't go nearly so far as to say it was the ballsiest move ever, but I will go so far as to say that the only people who are saying the operation was a "no brainer" are partisan conservatives who don't want to acknowledge that the operation entailed substantial risks. Obviously, the SEALs took the biggest risks. However, if the operation went awry and/or Osama wasn't in the compound, Obama could have been left with a lot of egg on his face.

A lot of operations entail substantial risk.

We knew he was there.

So if there's a possibility of " egg on your face " , you don't go in? Of course you do.

Talking to SOME Republicans about this has to be one of the biggest waste of times ever. They made up their minds about Obama years ago now, and absolutely nothing is going to change it. I just love that the weak, limp-wristed, anti-American, pro-Jihadist, Jimmy Carter liberal was the one who got Osama. Deal with it. And start getting ready for four more years. (*Tip* Load up on the boxes of kleenex. 8 years is a longtime to cry.)

Guest Spearfeather
Talking to SOME Republicans about this has to be one of the biggest waste of times ever. They made up their minds about Obama years ago now, and absolutely nothing is going to change it. I just love that the weak, limp-wristed, anti-American, pro-Jihadist, Jimmy Carter liberal was the one who got Osama. Deal with it. And start getting ready for four more years. (*Tip* Load up on the boxes of kleenex. 8 years is a longtime to cry.)

You're resorting to this?

First off, you took it to comics. Secondly, where else is this going to go? I'm going to keep saying what I've been saying, it's not going to sway you a single bit, you're going to go back to your talking points, I'm going to respond with what I originally said, and around around we go. It is what it is.

Jon Stewart takes care of how absurd this whole thing is:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-may-10-2011/who-killed-osama-bin-laden

OUR President and OUR military killed an evil mother****er. I'm happy.

I actually think " the call " was pretty obvious. Who wouldn't send in back-up? I think most Presidents put in the same situation, would have done the same things. To insinuate Obama did something that most people in his position wouldn't do, is ridiculous in my opinion.

I applaud Obama for taking out Osama and the mission was executed well.

Really? Because he was surrounded by military advisers who do this for a living, and who have been involved in the hunt for Osama since Sept. 11th, and possibly before....and he came up with the idea. Not only came up with it, but pushed it. And it proved to be necessary.

Not sure how that's an "obvious call". Trying to downplay this is ridiculous, in MY opinion.

Pretty much.

I seriously hate that this has turned into a partisan issue, but I find it hilarious that I've seen 5-6 people on my Facebook feed thanking W for this while at the same time ripping O.

I'm not even sure what to make of it anymore . . .

Pretty much.

I seriously hate that this has turned into a partisan issue, but I find it hilarious that I've seen 5-6 people on my Facebook feed thanking W for this while at the same time ripping O.

I'm not even sure what to make of it anymore . . .

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing, mostly from right wing family members.

In one hilarious instance my great uncle posted some drivel about Obama taking too much credit (this pisses me off, because he really hasn't taken credit and has always deferred to the guys that did the job), only to have his own son completely refute every point he made. It was pretty hilarious to read.

GACOLB nailed it. These people are just searching for reasons to hate the guy.

Well, Obama was blamed when the stock prices plummeted, and they won't talk about Obama and stock prices until another bad drop occurs. Those against him won't give him credit for anything good and all the credit for the bad.

Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing, mostly from right wing family members.

In one hilarious instance my great uncle posted some drivel about Obama taking too much credit (this pisses me off, because he really hasn't taken credit and has always deferred to the guys that did the job), only to have his own son completely refute every point he made. It was pretty hilarious to read.

GACOLB nailed it. These people are just searching for reasons to hate the guy.

Pretty much, people don't like him and refuse to support him or give him credit regardless of how big his accomplishment.

History is full of leaders making the 'wrong call' on seeminglly easy decisions. I commend Obama for making the right call on what appears to have been an easy decision (i.e. you have to try), but with uncertain outcomes. I'm confident that he would have taken the blame had things not gone right.

Well, Obama was blamed when the stock prices plummeted, and they won't talk about Obama and stock prices until another bad drop occurs. Those against him won't give him credit for anything good and all the credit for the bad.

Unfortunately, robot answers and comments like this are the norm in political discourse these days. It was the same when President Bush was in charge. 30% of the country feels he can do no wrong and 30% feel he can do nothing right. Then the two sides just feed off each other in a viscous circle jerk.

Luckily, I feel that the silent 40% still ultimately control this country. (and yes...I'm one of them :-) ).

Unfortunately, robot answers and comments like this are the norm in political discourse these days. It was the same when President Bush was in charge. 30% of the country feels he can do no wrong and 30% feel he can do nothing right. Then the two sides just feed off each other in a viscous circle jerk.

Luckily, I feel that the silent 40% still ultimately control this country. (and yes...I'm one of them :-) ).

I hope you're right, as I consider myself one of the 40% as well. However, elections come down to which of the 30%'ers can sway 20.0001% of the 40% to their side.

For the record, I don't like most of what Obama has done in office, especially healthcare and economic policy. However, I do give him major credit for being a part of the operation that got OBL. If one steps back and looks at what COULD have happened if something went wrong (chopper crashed in middle of town, Pakistan forces arrive en masse and SEALS have to fight them to get out, OBL not there, etc. etc.), it took a lot of guts for him to sign off on this mission. He should be given props for pulling it off.

If it had failed, that would most likely have ruined any chance of them ever getting OBL because no way they authorize another mission like this into another nation's sovereign country without their ok. Politically, the 30% on the right would have been happy (unfortunately), as it would be another nail in BO's reelection coffin/campaign.

I just realized who authored this post.

Was there sarcasm here? lol

Nope, no sarcasm at all. I don't agree with Obama on many things, however he is my President, I can't imagine the amount of flack he would be catching if the mission failed, especially since he is still catching flack and the mission was a success. BTW, I have toned down my Obama bashing since he has become President.

Nope, no sarcasm at all. I don't agree with Obama on many things, however he is my President, I can't imagine the amount of flack he would be catching if the mission failed, especially since he is still catching flack and the mission was a success. BTW, I have toned down my Obama bashing since he has become President.

I figured there wasn't but I wasn't sure. :ols:

I had pretty much stopped talking about politics until the past week when some of this bashing just became beyond absurd.

I was just discussing the OBL stuff with a Paki dude online....

all I gotta say is Pakistan is ****ed if all people over there think like him. I just dont get the delusional thoughts....Its like they just dont want to believe he was there the entire time because it makes them look bad....all they'd have to do is denounce it, but nope, they want to live in a fantasy world.

The fact Obama doesnt release the picture makes things worse too :(

Archived