Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DDP: Approx 8 sections of seating removed in upper deck endzone - more removed as of 2012 DDP, LL Endzone in 2013

MarkB452

Which group got the biggest upgrade?  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Which group got the biggest upgrade?

This poll is closed to new votes

Worse case of being bad fans happened to me over 8 years ago when I was in the nose bleed of section 424. Sitting in front of my son and I was a man, his wife and two teen girls. The wife and two girls sat through the entire game reading the Sunday Washington Post and books. Once in a while, they may have looked up to watch the action. The husband/father at least watched the game. They had to be given the seats for free because the three women/girls were a total waste of space.

But most people in the stands are enjoying the game. Last season, I had an elderly couple next to us. VERY quiet people. Tried multiple times to engage them in conversation about the Redskins. But neither talked very much and neither cheered. But they watched the game intently. Attended every game. Stayed to the bitter end. Never left early. People enjoy things differently. Just because one person needs to make it known to everyone that they are happy, some people are just very reserved. Does not make them bad fans.

As several of us have posted. Just be respectful of the fans around you. And enjoy the game.

---------- Post added May-4th-2012 at 12:34 PM ----------

Great post.

We do the same, and never have issues. My biggest problem was, (is:( ), watching what I say. When a bad play happens, or a stupid call, etc, my go-to phrases include the F-bomb, or taking the Lords name in vain, or a grisly combination of both, (God-****ing-dammit!). I'm really trying to reel it in because it's embarrassing. Mrs. Skinsfan is doing what she can to help, with a gentle reminder before the game, and not-so-gentle reminders with elbows to the ribs when I slip;)

QUOTE]

I have the same problem. I've cleaned up my act over the years raising my kids. But it is easy to slip at games when you are excited and into the game. I try especially hard to watch my mouth when kids are around. I've apologized a few times to parents and kids. I'm getting better but still slip from time to time.

I've had very few problems at games. I'm not a problem. I just get excited because it's a rare, special experience.

whenever you get to go again, I think you'd like the party deck and/or the standing section cuz you get to be loud the whole time, bang stuff on the metal plates, and you're standing the entire time. plus those tickets don't cost as much, so the flight up to DC wouldn't sting quite as much

whenever you get to go again, I think you'd like the party deck and/or the standing section cuz you get to be loud the whole time, bang stuff on the metal plates, and you're standing the entire time. plus those tickets don't cost as much, so the flight up to DC wouldn't sting quite as much

Good suggestion Elk. I remember last year the SROs for the club level were going super cheap on Stubhub for a few games (way below the Skins asking price of $150). When they install the SROs in the upper deck, I can't imagine they'll be able to ask much more than 30 bucks or so.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'd want. So, which game are we hitting up? :ols:

You have my vote for Fan of the Year! Awesome post

Seconded. I liked his post and I do the same. I'm usually on the edge of my seat for big plays and try not to stand up, unless something good happend AFTER the play. I'm not a yeller or screamer, I like to watch the play develop and then react accordingly. But most of all, I like to watch at home better. I make it to 2 or 3 games a year as my mom has season tickets.

The only trouble with the party decks (on the club level) is that they remain 90% empty throughout the game. While it may be nice to stand, jump, run, stomp, swear, in your own personal row, sometimes its nice to have other people somewhat near you. You can litterly have 40 ft of cushion bt you and the nearest human being.

The only trouble with the party decks (on the club level) is that they remain 90% empty throughout the game. While it may be nice to stand, jump, run, stomp, swear, in your own personal row, sometimes its nice to have other people somewhat near you. You can litterly have 40 ft of cushion bt you and the nearest human being.

otherwise it just looks like you are having a fit. or are crazy.. ;)

Sly, I think you are the guy/gal I want to talk to on this. Just for my knowledge... what makes you care? I mean, yes, they are removing seats and the change is obviously not done yet, but what makes you care?

Why do I care they are removing seats?

Because I pay money to go to games, buy merchandise, support the team. I want to know what goes on with the Redskins. And I care because I care about the team. If you don't care, why are you on this message board?

Why do I care they are removing seats?

Because I pay money to go to games, buy merchandise, support the team. I want to know what goes on with the Redskins. And I care because I care about the team. If you don't care, why are you on this message board?

So it upsets you that the team is removing seats to make it harder to get tickets for opposing players and will reduce game day traffic as well as a ton of empty seats?

Yeah, that's exactly what I'd want. So, which game are we hitting up? :ols:

I'll be in town for the Atlanta game and Cowboys game at end of season, but that's about all I can make this season unfortunately. We haven't had a home Thanksgiving game in many years, we only have 1 at the end of December, and there aren't any away games that are close enough to me to merit a weekend trip this year either. So it's my belief that my being limited by the schedule to attend games this years means we'll of course do really well.

---------- Post added May-5th-2012 at 03:41 PM ----------

Every game I've been to w/ SRO in clubs, not a lot but several for sure, that section was full the whole time, whereas a lot of club level people like to stay and sit inside when the weather isn't ideal.

So it upsets you that the team is removing seats to make it harder to get tickets for opposing players and will reduce game day traffic as well as a ton of empty seats?

They're not removing seats because of those reasons, though. Do you really believe that?

And I'm not sure how you jumped to the conclusion that I was upset the Redskins were removing seats. All I said was that I care about the reason they are removing them... I care how the stadium looks... and I care what they are building to replace the seats.

If the Redskins want to remove seats to improve something on the stadium (party decks, getting rid of the "bowl" look, adding something uniquely "Redskins" to the stadium), by all means. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Let's be honest, though. The Redskins can't sell out a 90,000+ stadium anymore. And that's just a little embarrassing for my favorite team. I got used to the fact that we had the biggest stadium in the NFL... and when the team was good, there were plenty of Redskins fan at FedEx. If I didn't want to deal with big crowds, waiting a couple extra minutes to use the bathroom, and having to wait in some traffic, I just wouldn't go to an NFL game. I'm not oblivious to reality and what happens when thousands of people want to go to the same event.

Anyway... I like the upgrades the Redskins have done to the stadium each season the past couple years, I just wish they'd complete whatever they're doing to the upper deck sections so we don't have to go through another season of looking at a half-finishing project.

:helmet:46814

source:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/04/washington-redskins-removing-more-seats-at-fedex-field/1

kinda wondering what will these party decks look like? I just do not see where or which area "partydecks" will be located as this removal of seats just look as that. Is there any inside info to post? The seats have been equally removed on both sides of the endzones imo it looks like arrowhead :)

will post more pics of structure.If you have PICS feel free to post thanks!

kinda wondering what will these party decks look like? I just do not see where or which area "partydecks" will be located as this removal of seats just look as that. Is there any inside info to post? The seats have been equally removed on both sides of the endzones imo it looks like arrowhead

If you've been to a game in the past two years, you've seen the SRO sections in the club level. Last year if you went to the stadium, you saw areas behind the end zones where they removed the seats but left the concrete flooring in. I think that area where they left the flooring could probably accomodate three tiered rows of SRO with counters like they have in the club level. Of course, they'd also build some sort of decking behind that, and the decking area has the promise to be pretty expansive around, given all the extra seats they've removed this offseason. Its tough to tell how much progress they're making on that, given that there haven't been a lot of pics from the outside of the stadium.

On the bright side, maybe with 20,000 fewer people, the traffic on 495 won't be as horrendous as it used to be... eh, who am I kidding :ols:

People keep throwing this "20,000 fewer people - less traffic, less lines!" thing out there, but it's completely bunk.

First of all, they are STILL selling tickets for the supposedly "removed" party SRO party decks. Second, it's not like there aren't close to 20,000 empty seats on most gamedays anyway.

For all the seats they are ripping out, I doubt very much we will notice any significant reduction in lines or traffic. The things that are causing these problems won't change becuase some seats are being ripped out.

Fewer people will mean fewer cars which means less traffic. No way around it. So it's not bunk. Some games, especially divisional games and games early in the year have been near capactiy the past two years whether you want to believe it or not. Yes, many games had lots of empty seats, especially late season games when there was little reason for band wagon fans to attend.

The SRO tickets will add some cars back into the mix. But the net will be fewer people and fewer cars. That means shorter lines for exit.

I think the difference will be virtually unnoticeable. IMO the only time we've seen that place near capacity was the VT/USC game in 2004. The seats may be gone, but the (top secret) people count will be the same, if not less.

A smaller stadium and less seats does not mean at all that we will have a lesser percentage of opposing team's fans. What it will do is drive up the price for the remaining tickets. This will drive up the price for Redskins fans and opposing teams fans. Last I checked, we weren't richer than anyone else and can't afford to pay more than the other fans. And actually, they will probably be willing to pay even more than us, because they only get to see their team once a year, while we get to see ours 8 times.

Even if you are a die hard skins fan and a season ticket holder, if you saw that your tickets were going for the "right" price on the secondary market, you would seriously consider selling them and just watching the game at home. Sure, you would rather sell them to a skins fan, but that's not always possible. Not all of us are independantly wealthy and can ignore a great offer for your season tickets. This is how tickets get on the secondary market and this is how opposing teams fans get tickets. I know it sucks, but that's the way it is in this day and age with stubhub and other ticket sites making it easy to buy and sell tickets. It doesn't matter what the Redskins do, lower prices, raise prices, move the stadium, go undefeated, win 5 super bowls, nothing,,, there is no way we are ever going to see the old RFK days again. It's just not possible.

The only idea I can think of to prevent this, is instead of printing individual tickets, that you get a season pass, kind of like at six flags. Then at the gate, you just swipe your card every week. You wouldn't be able to transfer it and you would be forced to go, or lose your money. If the whole stadium is sold out to season tickets holders like they say, this would work. I would definitely be down for this idea. Maybe they could make like the 4 corner sections in the upper deck general admission that you could actually buy tickets for, and then of course the standing room only you could buy individual tickets for, but as far as the rest of the stadium goes, it would be 100% Redskins season ticket holders.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if the stadium doesn't sell out, then they face the threat of local blackouts of the games. I always thought that's how it worked, unless the NFL has changed that rule recently. For 12 years, this team and its fan base have struggled, and it has no doubt affected ticket sales. Once upon a time, FedEx Field had 91,000 seats, and there were even whispers that a Super Bowl might be played in it one day. Since last year, 12,000 seats have been removed from FedEx Field and are being replaced by party decks. I can't help but wonder if the reason for that is because of the dwindling ticket sales. The front office would never admit if ticket sales were down so much that they were forced to remove seats from the stadium. Can you imagine how angry fans would become if they couldn't even watch the game at home?

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if the stadium doesn't sell out, then they face the threat of local blackouts of the games. I always thought that's how it worked, unless the NFL has changed that rule recently. For 12 years, this team and its fan base have struggled, and it has no doubt affected ticket sales. Once upon a time, FedEx Field had 91,000 seats, and there were even whispers that a Super Bowl might be played in it one day. Since last year, 12,000 seats have been removed from FedEx Field and are being replaced by party decks. I can't help but wonder if the reason for that is because of the dwindling ticket sales. The front office would never admit if ticket sales were down so much that they were forced to remove seats from the stadium. Can you imagine how angry fans would become if they couldn't even watch the game at home?

Are you serious? Have you read any other posts within this thread at all?

Are you serious? Have you read any other posts within this thread at all?

With all due respect, DC9. This thread was started over a year ago, and it has over 1300 posts, so pardon me if I missed something. I didn't have a chance to look over but so many of them.

Archived