Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DDP: Approx 8 sections of seating removed in upper deck endzone - more removed as of 2012 DDP, LL Endzone in 2013

MarkB452

Which group got the biggest upgrade?  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Which group got the biggest upgrade?

This poll is closed to new votes

Well the seats seem to have held up. Though we're not in the heat like Tampa. They went with red seats which the sun faded to pink.

I can already hear it now, TK, if the Redskins go with your half-roof look, FedEx Field will become the "Red Roof Inn" to the broadcasters and the fanbase.

HAIL!

Matt Terl has pictures of the upperdeck concrete being dismantled on his blog. They sure are not wasting any time.

http://blog.redskins.com/2011/06/10/the-first-segment-of-the-fedexfield-upper-deck-being-removed/

Looks like they are 2 row sections, shouldn't take to long at that rate to get them cleared out. Can't wait to see what the new stadium views will look like.

Surprised MTH or Pez wasn't on site to grab one of those row sections :D

I thought that was Mark driving that flatbed!

I can see it now....MTH will update his seat thread with pictures of how the concrete sections are assembled; describing exactly what we are buying under our seats and feet. :D

Anyone know if the home team has to split ticket sales for ALL tickets sold - or just for General Admission? If it is just for GA, then this could actually not cost the Redskins that much $$$ overall. If a GA in that section of the end zone is $49 - their 60% cut would be $29.40 ... now if he charges $29 for standing room only (which would not be considered General Admission - and would not count in relation to blackout requirements) - that's only $0.40 lost per ticket. Of course that new section might not accommodate a person for every seat taken out - but w/ added ammenities up there - the added concession sales will make it profitable.

Plus - anything he can do to reduce the ridiculous over-capacity that FedExField had become is welcome in my eyes.

Those pics are beautiful S&S. I have waited so long for this day. Time to get sentimental.

I remember going to a Caps game on New Years day in 1997. I knew that our future stadium was under construction somewhere nearby, but it hadn't occurred to me to even look for it. Believe it or not, I wasn't as OC about this stuff back then. The Redskins were far from my mind considering we weren't a playoff team and our season had just ended a week earlier.

Riding shotgun with my dad through the US Air Arena parking lot, my wandering eyes stumbled upon a half built monstrosity reaching to the heavens above the tree line. "WTH is that Dad? OMG, could that be our new stadium?" I remember asking. My very next comment was "Gee, I sure hope our new STs don't suck considering how high that upper looks compared to RFK".

Little did I know how devastated I was going to be on opening day '97 after having moved from section 507 to 401. My sense of entitlement as a spoiled rotten, lucky legacy, STH was in nuclear meltdown mode at that inaugural game against the Cardinals. After having fought 2 hrs of traffic, arriving late in the 1st qtr, sweating our asses off from the climb up those ramps up to our new seats, it was then that I suddenly realized my care free gamedays of youth were over. Gone was the cakewalk journey from our front door in Arlington to our seats at RFK in 40 minutes. Our new seats in Landover were significantly higher and further from the field, and no longer were we under cover from the rain and sun at RFK. No joke, I was already looking forward to the day when our 30 year sentence in Landover would be served and the wrecking ball could swing. ‘I'd only be 50 years old by then’ I thought to myself. The eeeewing and awing local fans had known from the opening of Camden Yards just 5 years earlier was sorely absent from the upper deck at JKC that day.

Needless to say, I've since grown used to calling Raljon home after 14 years. I don't care to leave anytime soon now that I have my gameday routines down to a science. I know what the rest of the league has to offer as far as the cost$ of getting good seats, tailgating, traffic, and it's not that bad here if you know how to work it.

Seeing the concrete removal today may not be the joy of the wrecking ball I'd once anticipated. However, this days progress is like watching a metaphoric Berlin Wall collpse around my fandom. This is a moment of liberation. Our stadium is finally getting better and I couldn’t be happier.

Anyone know if the home team has to split ticket sales for ALL tickets sold - or just for General Admission? If it is just for GA, then this could actually not cost the Redskins that much $$$ overall. If a GA in that section of the end zone is $49 - their 60% cut would be $29.40 ... now if he charges $29 for standing room only (which would not be considered General Admission - and would not count in relation to blackout requirements) - that's only $0.40 lost per ticket. Of course that new section might not accommodate a person for every seat taken out - but w/ added ammenities up there - the added concession sales will make it profitable.

Plus - anything he can do to reduce the ridiculous over-capacity that FedExField had become is welcome in my eyes.

Excellent point...hadn't thought about it that way. Although some of the seats being removed are the $64 variety. You are correct that Snyder only has to share the GA ticket revenue. Premium seat revenue is all his; the reason for trying to get as much revenue from those seats as he can. Even though your analysis suggests he does not lose much revenue from what he is doing, there are still the "sunk costs" of the renovation that does not justify the loss or conversion of end zone seats to SRO tickets. I still believe this is just a first step towards a much bigger and more important change to arrive in the near future........ :D

---------- Post added June-10th-2011 at 07:55 PM ----------

Those pics are beautiful S&S. I have waited so long for this day. Time to get sentimental.

Seeing the concrete removal today may not be the joy of the wrecking ball I'd once anticipated. However, this days progress is like watching a metaphoric Berlin Wall collpse around my fandom. This is a moment of liberation. Our stadium is finally getting better and I couldn’t be happier.

I really could care less about the party decks......I am hoping this means the beginning of a still more major enhancement to come in the next two years. If the mockups in this thread prove true, FedEx Field could actually have some character and be a stadium we could be proud of. To date....it has just been a cookie cutter boring vanilla stadium.

I might venture up to the party deck one time, but its not a place I'll frequent as I care more about watching the game than yapping at a bar. What I like is the gradual drift toward less seating. It started last year in the club level and now its continuing up high where reduction has been most needed.

A partial roof would be awesome, and hopefully would make FedEx a lot louder.

I've always thought FedEx gets a lot of unwarranted crap for being a subpar stadium- but every time I've gone I've had a fine time. If we'd had a decade like the Patriots did with 3 SBs, people would think FedEx was Mecca.

A partial roof would be awesome, and hopefully would make FedEx a lot louder.

I've always thought FedEx gets a lot of unwarranted crap for being a subpar stadium- but every time I've gone I've had a fine time. If we'd had a decade like the Patriots did with 3 SBs, people would think FedEx was Mecca.

FedEx has something that only Arrowhead can match: almost unlimited tailgating room. Although Lambeau is know for its tailgate, there really isn't that much open space. Alot of people end up parking in someones front yard. Philly has a decent are to tailgate, as does the Meadowlands. But FedEx has more room than actually needed. People complain, but the only area truly packed is the place between Arena Dr and Redskins Rd. Other side of the stadium has swatches of empty spots.

Here's a question I have about all this: IF Snyder is doing this because he expects a down year is it because he's totally on board with rebuilding the team the right way? He knows the team won't be good this year due to all the rookies and decides to do this to help build revenue.

Is this just insane thinking or does anyone believe that this could be true?

Here's a question I have about all this: IF Snyder is doing this because he expects a down year is it because he's totally on board with rebuilding the team the right way? He knows the team won't be good this year due to all the rookies and decides to do this to help build revenue.

Is this just insane thinking or does anyone believe that this could be true?

Insane thinking. One thing has nothing to do with the other, and Dan has expected a "not down" year every single season since he bought the team so what does he know anyway?

Drove through the stadium today and they are putting in work

Bigass cranes everywhere and they are working on the area near where the players and media arrive

Any way you can take pictures? The last pics I saw on the redskins blog, they were removing large sections of concrete via crane. Wondering how far along they've come since Friday..

Look at it this way. By taking out the endzone seats for a Party Platform & charging less for them, Dan just screwed Jerruh out of a good chunk of his annual 40% when the pukes come to town to get their asses beat. :)

And screwed the Skins outta the other 60% for that game and nine others?

---------- Post added June-14th-2011 at 12:33 AM ----------

Now, the NFL avg ticket price is $76.47, and rising every year. The Redskins have not raised ticket prices since 2006. If Dan wanted to raise prices, he could. He hasn't, yet he gets consistently crushed by posters like you. It literally took me 30 seconds of Google searching to find this information. We have the 8th highest ticket cost, and 7th highest FCI.

What's the average price if you remove OV seats?

---------- Post added June-14th-2011 at 12:35 AM ----------

His reply...."We are one step ahead of you. But it won't happen this year." So I take that to mean they are working to design some type of roof for FedEx and that it is planned for the near future.

Well done. A roof makes this all make more sense.

Archived