Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DDP: Approx 8 sections of seating removed in upper deck endzone - more removed as of 2012 DDP, LL Endzone in 2013

MarkB452

Which group got the biggest upgrade?  

301 members have voted

1. 1. Which group got the biggest upgrade?

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah I understand that, but I still don't understand what is meant by the "club level platforms" if they aren't going to be anything like that.

The Post article indicates sources say that the supports for the party deck will be above the club level. I take the "club level platform" to mean the whole (supporting) structure that will hold up the deck.

Yeah I understand that, but I still don't understand what is meant by the "club level platforms" if they aren't going to be anything like that.

From what I've heard, the upper level party decks will be supported by the club level structure. That may have something to do with the confusion. They can eliviate a lot of by just releasing a darn sketch! lol

The party deck is only part of the total change coming at FedEx. It's not entirely about the revenue. All of you have complained that FedEx is not loud enough.....stay tuned....There's a reason nothing will be ready until the 2012 season. I can't believe no one picked up on my hint in my earlier post....you guys must all be asleep.

No, I got it. Can't freaking wait to see the changes.

Dude, remember how that sound at RFK was caught by the roof there? Good lord, we are talking about 25-30,000 more people here. I can't wait. Just in time for Andrew Luck....no pressure kid.

HAIL!

That will significantly reduce the amount of tickets sold then. How many people can see the actual game? You could put 1000 people there but only 100 would have views of the live action.

I had SRO tickets to a opening day Orioles game at Camden Yards a few years back. There were enough spots on the right field porch for about 100 people to see, and there were about 500-600 people on the porch. You kind of had to work your way up to the front and it was great once you got there, but if you had to go to bathroom/concessions you lost your spot and had to start in the back and slowly work your way forward over the course of a inning or two. It's not bad for baseball because you aren't wrapped up in to every single play, but I would never go that route for a Redskins game.

It really sucks that there is nothing to show off in the skyline with the new openings:(. Would be awesome to be able to see DC and the monuments but oh well.

You mean the Jericho Church steeple or greater downtown Landover doesn't do it for you?

The Redskins website has some photos of the past few days of them already ripping out the seats on the other side of the stadium. They sure aren't wasting any time.

One thing that is interesting is that the Skins say that the capacity of the stadium is being reduced from close to 92K to 85K. The 85K must be including seating plus SRO capacity. They already reduced the club level by 3K seats last season and appear to be lopping off about 10K more from the upper deck, which would put the stadium at around 79K seats, which would be smaller seating-wise than New Meadowlands and Cowboys and probably around what Arrowhead seats.

You can see the Washington Monument and the Crystal City skyline from on side of the upper level concourse.

Yeah, but that is way out there. Personally, I don't think DC has much of a "skyline." But what it is known for is the mall area between the Captial and the Monument. I think that was the big thing that was lost when we moved to Landover. Opposing teams got to see that, and realize where they were. It's different then driving on the beltway in traffic, and passing by gas stations and town houses.....lol.

But I am really excited to see what this is going to look like. I hope they can leak a drawing or two out there.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 08:38 AM ----------

One thing that is interesting is that the Skins say that the capacity of the stadium is being reduced from close to 92K to 85K. The 85K must be including seating plus SRO capacity. They already reduced the club level by 3K seats last season and appear to be lopping off about 10K more from the upper deck, which would put the stadium at around 79K seats, which would be smaller seating-wise than New Meadowlands and Cowboys and probably around what Arrowhead seats.

And I'll take 79,000 Redskins fans over 79,000 of us and 11,000 opponents fans. And I do realize that is an optimistic ratio.

HAIL!

All of you have complained that FedEx is not loud enough.....stay tuned....There's a reason nothing will be ready until the 2012 season. I can't believe no one picked up on my hint in my earlier post....you guys must all be asleep.

I get that, but is that just a pure guess on your part or have you had some inside info from the Skins or PG County? That seems like a pretty expensive undertaking.

I get that, but is that just a pure guess on your part or have you had some inside info from the Skins or PG County? That seems like a pretty expensive undertaking.

I sent an email to a high level contact I have with the Redskins with 12 suggestions for stadium improvements. At the top of my list was a suggestion that while the Redskins were ripping out the concrete in both end zones, they should reinforce the concrete to support two arches from end zone to end zone with a fabric or other roofing material to cover the sideline seats. I said this would provide weather protection for many fans and would create major noise disruption for the opposing QB. I also suggested it would help Snyder convince people that FedEx Field could sponsor a future Super Bowl.I even referred him to a picture of Qwest Field.

His reply...."We are one step ahead of you. But it won't happen this year." So I take that to mean they are working to design some type of roof for FedEx and that it is planned for the near future.

People have to understand that this kind of structural change requires a lot of engineering and research to calculate stress loads and ensure safety. The design itself when retrofitting an older structure just takes time. I would doubt it will be announced in the near future until they know for sure it can be done. Frankly, the party decks won't take long to design and engineer; as long as they can verify the additional weight can be properly supported.

People have to understand that this kind of structural change requires a lot of engineering and research to calculate stress loads and ensure safety. The design itself when retrofitting an older structure just takes time. I would doubt it will be announced in the near future until they know for sure it can be done. Frankly, the party decks won't take long to design and engineer; as long as they can verify the additional weight can be properly supported.

Man I hope they can work it out. That could make FedEx into one of the more awesome stadiums around. I really really hope it comes to fruition.

Man I hope they can work it out. That could make FedEx into one of the more awesome stadiums around. I really really hope it comes to fruition.

I'm really psyched, too. JKC built an efficient but characterless stadiuma and Snyder has caught most of the crap for it. Snyder has put tens of millions of dollars into fixes and improvements (and some screwups like the OV seats behind pillars) This will really change the look and feel of the stadium and be really cool if designed right. I am hoping it may happen by the 2012 season but he did not give a definite time frame.

The Redskins website has some photos of the past few days of them already ripping out the seats on the other side of the stadium. They sure aren't wasting any time.

I tried to click on the photos from redskins.com and the link was down. Do you know where I can find those pics?

I tried to click on the photos from redskins.com and the link was down. Do you know where I can find those pics?

I got the same thing, but if you go to "Media Gallery", then Photo Galleries, you can click on the FedEx Field Party Decks in Progress album and view from there... there are quite a few pics from different angles

Proof for why this seat reduction is needed.

Go to Redskins.com. On the front page you'll notice a game pic from last year. Notice the swaths of empty seats in the upper level. There's a high concentration of vacancies in the east endzone while thousands of empty chairs checkerboard the visiting sideline. Not sure which game this was from, but it looks to have been early in the season judging by the field condition.

This crowd size was pretty much the norm for the upper level over the past couple of years, aside from the Dallas game last year which was sold up the wazoo.

So glad this seat reduction is finally happening.:football:

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 01:52 PM ----------

Archived