Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tornado outbreak kills more than 170 people; 130 dead in Alabama alone. Update: Death toll is now 294,

Toe Jam

Parts of Tuscaloosa have been flattened, just stunning devastation. Just took my son to visit the UA campus two months ago, what a beautiful place. I understand the university itself is undamaged but parts of downtown are flattened and many are dead. Terrible.

Parts of Tuscaloosa have been flattened, just stunning devastation. Just took my son to visit the UA campus two months ago, what a beautiful place. I understand the university itself is undamaged but parts of downtown are flattened and many are dead. Terrible.

They reported on CNN that some students have been killed. They weren't killed on campus but in off campus housing.

What's worse is they expect the death toll to rise.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 04:16 AM ----------

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 04:16 AM ----------

They reported on CNN that some students have been killed. They weren't killed on campus but in off campus housing.

What's worse is they expect the death toll to rise.

I have a friend who goes to Auburn and lives off campus... I hope she's alright.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 07:35 AM ----------

That second video... holy. balls.

I don't ever remember seeing so many torandoes in so many different parts of the country. Off the top of my head, I remember hearing about tornadoes in Tennessee, Missiouri, North Carolina, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Maryland. Its crazy and its not even summer yet. Prayers go out to all those effected.

I don't ever remember seeing so many torandoes in so many different parts of the country. Off the top of my head, I remember hearing about tornadoes in Tennessee, Missiouri, North Carolina, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Maryland. Its crazy and its not even summer yet. Prayers go out to all those effected.

Add Virginia to that.

Tornado killed multiple people in the Glade Spring area on I-81. Destroyed a truck stop and sent more than 40 tractor trailers flying through the air.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 05:35 AM ----------

I don't know if it was verified or not but Henry Margusity reported last night that the tornado that caused this damage was on the ground for 3 hours as it moved NE into GA.

The actual storm cell survived all the way to North Carolina. That's over 300 miles.

Not confirmed yet how long the actual tornado lasted, though.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 06:06 AM ----------

Seven confirmed dead in Glade Spring, VA. More are missing.

The town was obliterated.

Covington officer killed in Mississippi storm

Heroism was nothing new for Covington Police Lt. Wade Sharp. On at least two occasions, he placed his own life in jeopardy to save another, the latest being in 2006.

Tuesday night, Sharp’s heroism saved his daughter’s life, but cost him his own.

Camping with his young daughter in Mississippi, a tornado ripped through the campsite, knocking a tree toward the pair, said Chief Richard Palmisano. He leapt on top of her to protect her from the falling tree, sparing her life but giving his own in return.

A decorated member of the CPD, Sharp’s unexpected death will leave a hole hard to fill. Palmisano said, “Everyone always wanted to work with him. He was a joy to be around. He was an excellent, fantastic officer, well-liked. I never heard anything against him.”

Sharp had been with the force 19 years. He is survived by his wife, two daughters and a son. Sgt. Stephen Culotta of the CPD is Sharp’s stepbrother.

Click on the link for the full article

The daughter of a good friend goes to the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. The tornado passed within 200 yards of her place. She was in her closet terrified and crying as the house shook. The town is devastated. No water, no power. As of this morning a couple of her friends and classmates are unaccounted for.

Makes you feel very small. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this.

Yes it does. I'll always remember the May 3, 1999 outbreak in Oklahoma. That was the first I can remember. That's the one that had the mile wide F5 with 318 mph winds - fastest ever recorded. Watching the Weather Channel that day was plain scary. Still queasy watching the tornado in Tuscaloosa.

Yes it does. I'll always remember the May 3, 1999 outbreak in Oklahoma. That was the first I can remember. That's the one that had the mile wide F5 with 318 mph winds - fastest ever recorded. Watching the Weather Channel that day was plain scary. Still queasy watching the tornado in Tuscaloosa.

The next time someone tells me I'm an idiot for living in earthquake country, I can at least take some consolation from the fact that we don't get tornadoes. That second video was like watching the Blair Witch Project.

I have family In Huntsville, AL and my cousin is a freshman at Alabama. They're all fine, thank God, but their roof (in Huntesville) was damaged and my cousin is having to deal with Tuscaloosa being wiped out, but I'm just glad they're all ok. That second video is scary as ****, I always had a deep fear of tornadoes as a kid.

edit: Lexington VA was fine last night, the storm was incredibly powerful, but no tornadoes that I knew of. We were concerned though, there were reports of funnel clouds all up and down the Valley.

That second video is terrifying. While watching it I found myself saying "Get the **** out of there you idiot!!!"

The death toll is at 250 now and unfortunately it will probably keep going up.

I was watching with the thought of,"Hey dumbass tornado. RUN!!!!"

Seriously if the wind is so strong your camera is about to fly out of hands you should probably get the hell out of there.

Archived