Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lockout Watch: 4/29: Stay of injunction granted, LOCKOUT REINSTATED

SonOfWashington

I agree with MartinC - This judgment was expected and will change very little . I do wonder if the NFL will start trading players over the draft period but I doubt it I think the teams will hold the line and nothing will happen .

If the Armageddon scenario does come about for the players and the CBA and the cap is dead then sure it will be a bonanza for some of the players maybe 5-10% of them for the rest they will see the problem with being a commodity is your value is governed by what people are willing to pay you and with no CBA there is maximum but also no vet minimum - if fact no minimum at all .

This is a long, long way from being over. It was widley assumed that the players would get this first ruling, the NFL certainly factored this into their thinking. The next round will be more interesting when the appeal is heard becuase conventional wisdom is that the NFL is the favourite to win at that stage. What then?

Actually I thought the NFL was favourite to "win" this case and keep the lockout. I would say they are less likely to win in the Appeals court because they have to show that the judge did not *plausibly* apply the correct standards. It is not a matter of whether the Appeal court judges think she was right or wrong, all they can decide on is whether her ruling is plausible.

There's also an implication in her judgement that the NFL is likely to lose the NLRB case against decertification as well ("it is likely... that the NLRB will dismiss that charge now that the Players have exercised their right to abandon the collective bargaining framework..."). That would make three cases lost this year, and four if they lose the appeal.

If I was an owner right now I'd be giving serious consideration to firing my legal team.

This is a long, long way from being over. It was widley assumed that the players would get this first ruling, the NFL certainly factored this into their thinking. The next round will be more interesting when the appeal is heard becuase conventional wisdom is that the NFL is the favourite to win at that stage. What then?

Listening to the radio this morning, everyone is coming out with the same story that the ruling was written by the judge specifically for the 8th Circuit Court so that it would be nearly impossible for them to grant an appeal.

Rich_Campbell Rich Campbell

RT @JGWhiteAP Lorenzo Alexander shows up in a non-football player's car _ a Toyota Prius! Love that guy. 1st #Redskins player to arrive

not surprise that LA is at redskins park first

edit: Rich_Campbell Rich Campbell

RT @john_keim @onemangang97 leaving facility; was here for a few minutes. Talked to bruce allen. Said could not work out

Listening to the radio this morning, everyone is coming out with the same story that the ruling was written by the judge specifically for the 8th Circuit Court so that it would be nearly impossible for them to grant an appeal.

Yeah I just read that - a 90 page ruling rather than the normal 20 or so pages. Its going to be interesting to see what happens from here - the players look to have the upper hand at the moment but no one can really predict what a court will do.

I do feel very strongly though that no settlement imposed by a court - whoever wins - will stand the test of time. One side will feel the imposed settlement is unfair and will resent it meaning it will unravel quickly and we will all be back in this position again in three or four years. In a negotiation both sides need to feel that the agreement gives them both something and is fair - you dont want to 'win' a negotiation to the extent the other side feel they have been screwed or again it will all unravel and you lose long term.

Both sides need each other here and the only way to get a deal both sides can live with over the long term is around a table not in a court room. Hopefully those with cooler heads on both sides realise this.

I also hope the players really think through what an NFL with no draft, total free agency, no salary cap and no salary floor would mean. My view is it would be bad for the majority of players - with no set vet minimum salaries you can see long snappers, punters and the guys who mainly play special teams getting $50K a year while the handful of stars everyone is comepting for getting even more of the available cash. Meanwhile the majority of players in the middle are also probably worse off as well. This is why a group of middle ranking players wanted a seat at the table and a separate legal team.

Just reading the tea leaves, but I think this is the part that caught the owners off guard. Not that they lost, but that the judge limited their appeal options in the manner she did.

http://online.wsj.com/home-page?mid=3&CALL_URL=http://www.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704132204576285090526726626.html%253fmod=WSJ_hps_sections_opinion

Please read Goodell's op-ed from the WSJ. Utterly unbelievable and ridiculous. To attempt to write this panic-inducing piece about the players changing the face of the game - when they have argued for the status quo from the get go.

No one has said it better;

@markschlereth Roger Goodell's WSJ op-ed piece http://bit.ly/gqMk46 sounds like the Bully got popped in the nose and is now crying to the principal

I've never really envied the job of the NFL commissioner. Gotta be a real pain in the ass. I've respected that. I have none for Roger Goodell. Somehow,I picture the job of the commissioner at times like this as being a leader in moderation. Taking sides,especially to the degree he has,(and quite publicly I might add,simply exasperates the problem imho. I also admit my perception could be totally off base where Goodell's responsibilities at times like this lie. Oh. And I agree with Schlereth's comment,(though I am thoroughly pissed at the whole situation and that probably influences that viewpoint).

http://online.wsj.com/home-page?mid=3&CALL_URL=http://www.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704132204576285090526726626.html%253fmod=WSJ_hps_sections_opinion

Please read Goodell's op-ed from the WSJ. Utterly unbelievable and ridiculous. To attempt to write this panic-inducing piece about the players changing the face of the game - when they have argued for the status quo from the get go.

Un-real. Goodell is really showing his true colors.

As you said Tris, he conveniently leaves out the fact the owners are the ones that opted out of the CBA a few years ago. But it's the players that want all these dramatic changes.

The NFL has just squashed any chance it had at winning the battle in the court of public opinion.

I have no idea what any of this means but I for one hope its business as usual (per 2010 rules) on Thursday morning. If the 8th Circuit Court decides to grant a stay let it happen after the draft and some free agency. I would love to be able to trade vets for picks in the upcoming draft (after that if the lockout is back...we would have gotten out job done).

How cool would it be if there was no draft and teams bought all of the college stars? Can you imagine Danny and Jerry throwing cash at Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, AJ Green, and Marcell Dareus? We would be a dynasty in no time- it'd be like the Red Sox and Yankees. Granted, about 15 or 20 smaller market teams would be completely screwed, but we'd be sitting fat!

Something is telling me that this lockout will not be stayed even if it goes to the 8th circuit. I'm really believing that the owners are using the lockout as leverage to force the players to compromise. Yet Goodell is talking this "we want mediation, we want a CBA...blah, blah, blah" i think is all a bunch of bull!

I have no idea what any of this means but I for one hope its business as usual (per 2010 rules) on Thursday morning. If the 8th Circuit Court decides to grant a stay let it happen after the draft and some free agency. I would love to be able to trade vets for picks in the upcoming draft (after that if the lockout is back...we would have gotten out job done).

I would love this to happen as well, but I think it's wishful thinking.

Free agency in this climate would be damn near impossible, especially since there is no structure in place anymore.

It might be scare tactics, its certainly part of a PR strategy, but its not ridiculous. This is an anti trust case, if the Courts ultimatley find in the players favour things like a collective draft would be at risk as wojuld a salary cap and salary floor. Dont believe that? Here is a transcript from an interview DeMaurice Smith did with Mike Florio (link below) -

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/demaurice-smith-interview-transcript-part-2/

MF: Will next month’s draft be the last draft ever? Is that the end result of this anti-trust lawsuit: no rules, 32 companies acting independently and therefore no draft? You think that’s where this is headed?

DS: You know what, I don’t know. And Mike, man, you’re a lawyer, I’m a lawyer. You and I have probably had a lot of confidence in the way in which court cases were going to work out, either ones that you and I were trying or ones that we were watching. You know you can’t predict anything. I don’t know. What we hope to achieve is the game of football for our fans, the game of football for our players. And that’s what I’ve got my eye focused on right now.

Again if there is a court imposed settlement that rules against the NFL then its very likley the draft could be abolished. I suspect the Union does not really want that, nor the loss of the salary floor and minimum salaries. All of this is uncertain - it always is when you go to court - and thats why both sides need to negotiate a settlement not have one imposed by the Court system.

How cool would it be if there was no draft and teams bought all of the college stars? Can you imagine Danny and Jerry throwing cash at Patrick Peterson, Von Miller, AJ Green, and Marcell Dareus? We would be a dynasty in no time- it'd be like the Red Sox and Yankees. Granted, about 15 or 20 smaller market teams would be completely screwed, but we'd be sitting fat!

I actually think that would suck. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think parity is one of the things that makes the NFL so great.

I actually think that would suck. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think parity is one of the things that makes the NFL so great.

I agree- I was being sarcastic. But you can't argue that judging by our terrible draft history over the past decade, it would benefit us

I would love this to happen as well, but I think it's wishful thinking.

Free agency in this climate would be damn near impossible, especially since there is no structure in place anymore.

If the lockout is lifted (and no stay allowed) I would assume there will be structure as laid out under the 2010 rules.

edit: To be honest I dont even really care about free agents all I want is the ability to trade vets for draft picks in the upcoming draft.

If the lockout is lifted (and no stay allowed) I would assume there will be structure as laid out under the 2010 rules.

edit: To be honest I dont even really care about free agents all I want is the ability to trade vets for draft picks in the upcoming draft.

There is no way I can see there will trades before this draft - also it will be a ballsy GM who trades anything for picks in a future draft which may or may not happen.

There is no way I can see there will trades before this draft - also it will be a ballsy GM who trades anything for picks in a future draft which may or may not happen.

If there is no draft again, welcome Andrew Luck! LOL!

Archived