Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lockout Watch: 4/29: Stay of injunction granted, LOCKOUT REINSTATED

SonOfWashington

You guys weren't really buying into the whole "no season of football" crap were you? Sorry but no football would be like no government, isn't going to happen imo. Something will get done and this will all be a distant memory for all of us. Just a matter of time

Let's not start sucking each other's popsicles yet - if the appeal is granted, we stand a good chance of missing games still.

So wait...if this is upheld does that mean that there won't be a rookie pay scale? Would things just go back to the way they were last offseason or would this force a new CBA?

There was an article in the WaPo

2011 would be played under uncapped rules - like last season, 2010. No salary cap. No salary floor (minimum). 6 seasons for UFA. 4 and 5 seasons for RFA.

Can we please one day get a "Like" button....very nice Bang, very funny indeed :)

Good to see some movement on this front. You guys weren't really buying into the whole "no season of football" crap were you? Sorry but no football would be like no government, isn't going to happen imo. Something will get done and this will all be a distant memory for all of us. Just a matter of time

Agreed. The NFL has surged in the last 15 years or so and a big reason is because of the strikes in competing leagues. The NFL will not miss any games. If there is one thing that will be kept safe, it's the NFL brand. That's why this will get resolved one way or another in time for games in September.

what we need to do is trade mcnabb and haynesworth and then the lockout is back into effect thus we have more picks for the weekend :)

That was what i was wondering can they trade now as the Judge did not grant a stay until the appeal

I don't understand why the owners don't want to play under 2010 rules....that seems to favor them...free agency after 6 years and no floor to spend to.

This is a lockout. Meaning the owners are not allowing players to continue according to the current set up. The owners definitely do not want to continue under the current agreement. The main issue is that the owners feel that too much of the pie is going to players. Rookie scale and all that... those are specifics. But the main issue is how the revenue pie is divided. The owners don't like the deal they signed a few years back.

interesting.....I think there could be a FA for like a couple of weeks until the other court (or what ever you US people call it) gives there say about it. That would be qrazy. Draft and a very small FA window, GM's and owners will go qrazy. I betting on 6 burnouts of GM's around the league after that periode.

Better late than never. I am sure everyone there at NFL.com expected the court to rule in favor of the players, so I am not questioning their football smarts but just wondering why they didn't release the "can" story they had prepared last week, plus the latest nuances from today's ruling sooner?

As far as we fans are concerned, this was an awesome statement in Judge Nelson's ruling:

"[T]he public ramifications of this dispute exceed the abstract principles of the antitrust laws, as professional football involves many layers of tangible economic impact, ranging from broadcast revenues down to concessions sales," she wrote. "And, of course, the public interest represented by the fans of professional football -- who have a strong investment in the 2011 season -- is an intangible interest that weighs against the lockout. In short, this particular employment dispute is far from a purely private argument over compensation."

Looks like the courts are looking out for the season ticket holders and people that have made a financial commitment to their favorite teams. That's pretty awesome.

cross your fingers and hope the appeall doesnt get granted. Im holding out hope for a outside chance of draft day trades being allowed, could change things a bit.

I agree, I just want McNabb and AH traded. If that, by some MIRACLE, happened before the draft, I would probably cry tears of joy.

Granted, my legal experience consists of "in Tailgate, I read lots of posts from people who know what they're talking about. And sometimes I think I understand them."

But from what I understand, a stay is really unlikely. The way I understand it, to get a stay, the NFL has to convince an appeals court judge that the odds are very likely that if there's no stay, then the NFL will suffer irreparable harm.

Me, I don't see them being able to even make a feeble argument at that.

To me, they might have a legitimate appeal. But they have no chance at a stay, while they wait for the appeal.

As far as we fans are concerned, this was an awesome statement in Judge Nelson's ruling:

"[T]he public ramifications of this dispute exceed the abstract principles of the antitrust laws, as professional football involves many layers of tangible economic impact, ranging from broadcast revenues down to concessions sales," she wrote. "And, of course, the public interest represented by the fans of professional football -- who have a strong investment in the 2011 season -- is an intangible interest that weighs against the lockout. In short, this particular employment dispute is far from a purely private argument over compensation."

Looks like the courts are looking out for the season ticket holders and people that have made a financial commitment to their favorite teams. That's pretty awesome.

This is what I like to see. Sounds very promising for us and players. Owners will still be rich and get over it.

Let's not start sucking each other's popsicles yet - if the appeal is granted, we stand a good chance of missing games still.

That was gross lol but seriously call me crazy I just don't think there is any way in the world the powers that be would cancel any game with the popularity and amount of money on the line. What I see is all posturing by the owners and players wondering how much of the pie they each get. It would be a castostrophic failure of an unimagined degree if a single games missed. Like Wes Welker said, these "lockouts" are fun when you know in the end its gonna be business as usual. If there was a prop to bet on a season or missed game or not bet the farm nothings missed at all imo

This is a lockout. Meaning the owners are not allowing players to continue according to the current set up. The owners definitely do not want to continue under the current agreement. The main issue is that the owners feel that too much of the pie is going to players. Rookie scale and all that... those are specifics. But the main issue is how the revenue pie is divided. The owners don't like the deal they signed a few years back.

I read a couple of articles before the lockout about how some of the owners wanted to "punish" the players which seemed a little crazy given that it wasn't like the owners had a gun held to their head when they signed the current deal. However wealthy and powerful they are as individuals, collectively they seem to have misread how this will play out. They probably will appeal but that's very likely to fail; the appeals court needs a damn good reason to say a federal judge was wrong. With Doty going to be rule in May on damages for the players on the previous case in their favor, I would suggest to the owners that they settle this fast, but I suspect their prides are as large as their wallets and this will drag on well into summer.

Archived