Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lockout Watch: 4/29: Stay of injunction granted, LOCKOUT REINSTATED

SonOfWashington

Granted, my legal experience consists of "in Tailgate, I read lots of posts from people who know what they're talking about. And sometimes I think I understand them."

But from what I understand, a stay is really unlikely. The way I understand it, to get a stay, the NFL has to convince an appeals court judge that the odds are very likely that if there's no stay, then the NFL will suffer irreparable harm.

Me, I don't see them being able to even make a feeble argument at that.

To me, they might have a legitimate appeal. But they have no chance at a stay, while they wait for the appeal.

ESPN is reporting that the "stay" was already refused by Judge Nelson, so the league is depending on the 8th Circuit court of appeals now.

Also, Mort is saying that the league is operating under last season's rules and that if this goes to the actual anti-trust case, it could continue until next off-season, but that would give us a year of football.

They just reported on NFLN that if the stay is denied by Nelson on appeal then player signings and trades could happen in "days" not weeks

I really hope that, if this is all going to happen, FA doesn't start until next week. I would really hate the draft AND FA to be going on at the same time. I'd rather our team be able to get it right instead of sitting it out and missing all the players, or hitting FA hard and whiffing on their picks.

---------- Post added April-25th-2011 at 06:11 PM ----------

So, like Laron asked, does that mean business as usual? Any chance we see any trades? Or are the owners not going to make any moves just to spite the players?

No news on that yet. Presumably, the league,and teams, will wait until they hear from the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals before they go to regular operations.

So, like Laron asked, does that mean business as usual? Any chance we see any trades? Or are the owners not going to make any moves just to spite the players?

Wait till you hear something from the 8th Circuit. It is up to them to either grant the stay or refuse it. If they refuse it, game on. Just like last year. Free agency starts, player movement will happen... it's just like March 3rd (or whenever free agency was supposed to start) was pushed back a bit.

Wait till you hear something from the 8th Circuit. It is up to them to either grant the stay or refuse it. If they refuse it, game on. Just like last year. Free agency starts, player movement will happen... it's just like March 3rd (or whenever free agency was supposed to start) was pushed back a bit.

Except its draft week. If the 8th Circuit makes a ruling today or tomorrow morning, it will be chaos.

Except its draft week. If the 8th Circuit makes a ruling today or tomorrow morning, it will be chaos.

That's exactly what I have been hoping for. I want one day of open free agency before the draft. I want the draft programming to open with Eisen and Berman looking like they have been up all night and running on caffeine and cigarettes. Because that would probably be what I would look like as well.

Stop the presses:

KCalabroShow: Roger Cossack, ESPN Legal Analyst, says this means players can now be traded

In theory they can, but it is doubtful that anyone will break rank and move forward until everything is settled.

---------- Post added April-25th-2011 at 07:26 PM ----------

Danny needs to sign some FA's right now. The season is open until the 8th Court says otherwise.

Not going to happen for the same reason. I would be shocked if any owner does anything until an appeal is heard or denied.

In theory they can, but it is doubtful that anyone will break rank and move forward until everything is settled.

Not going to happen for the same reason. I would be shocked if any owner does anything until an appeal is heard or denied.

Signing new FA's, I agree. But I think teams definitely would make trades if a stay is denied. Those contracts are already written so no new money would handed out.

---------- Post added April-25th-2011 at 11:31 PM ----------

If we have Football under last years rules, does anyone know if Rocky McIntosh was tendered an offer making him a RFA? Is rather hAve Rocky back on the cheap than have Perry Riley or Robert Henson starting at ILB

Rather have Riley or Henson. We know what Rocky can do now. But yes, he would be a RFA.

JsteelzExtreme: Coaches already contacting players under contract = LOVES IT

you never know. quick while there's still time! send McNabb to Minnesota!

Gentleman, Start Your Engines .....

Hail.

ESPN's Andrew Brandt predicts an Eighth Circuit ruling within a day or two, and at that point, we should know more about the business of football in the immediate future. Brandt also noted that the owners have a good chance of seeing their request granted in the Eighth Circuit.

buffalorumblings.com

Signing new FA's, I agree. But I think teams definitely would make trades if a stay is denied. Those contracts are already written so no new money would handed out.

Oh, if a stay is denied I think everything will be business as usual. I was just talking about everything staying calm until we hear whether a stay is denied.

Oh, if a stay is denied I think everything will be business as usual. I was just talking about everything staying calm until we hear whether a stay is denied.

Oh ok, when I read whether an appeal is heard or denied, I thought you meant the actual appeal.

I hope the eighth circuit has some NFL fans. Get the thing done by Thursday so people can make trades at the draft.

Well, they can trade picks; they just can't trade players. I also can't imagine Goodell standing up there and saying, "With the 10th pick, the Washington Redskins have traded with the Denver Broncos for their first-round pick and the hot dog guy."

Archived