Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lockout Watch: 4/29: Stay of injunction granted, LOCKOUT REINSTATED

SonOfWashington

I want the draft programming to open with Eisen and Berman looking like they have been up all night and running on caffeine and cigarettes. Because that would probably be what I would look like as well.

:ols:

Now that's funny. I can see them already.

Florio/PFT:

Roughly 30 minutes ago, a source with knowledge of the situation told us that a collection of NFL big shots had been on a conference call for 45 minutes and counting, aimed at figuring out the next steps.

Coupled with a general sense coming from our network of sources that the league is confused and rattled by the ruling lifting the lockout, it appears that the league truly believed that it would prevail before Judge Nelson on the question of whether the lockout would be lifted.

That’s one of the dangers of hiring one of the best lawyers in the country to handle the case. David Boies, who demonstrated at the April 6 hearing why he’s indeed among the finest ever practitioners of law, quite possibly mesmerized the owners at the league meetings in March into genuinely believing that they would prevail.

And they remain confident they’ll win at the appellate level, even if that’s a longer shot than the league would admit.

That said, it’s more than a little surprising that the league didn’t have a predetermined plan in place for this specific eventuality. It’s not as if the outcome was one of 1,000 different permutations. The ruling came from a fairly narrow band of possibilities. And yet in some ways it seems like the league has been caught with its proverbial pants down.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/25/league-huddles-to-figure-out-next-steps/

espn_nfcwest Lester Munson on ESPN: Judge's ruling written in manner making it unlikely appeals court will grant stay. Expects lockout to indeed die.

josephperson Frank Murtha, NFL agent and sports labor expert, does not see Nelson granting a stay based on what he's read of ruling. League then could seek an emergency stay from Eighth Circuit, according to Murtha -- and as reported by others. ... Knew I should have gone to law school.

Everything I'm reading suggests that Nelson's 89-page ruling was written in order to sway the appellate court towards NOT granting a stay.

Its looking like it might not be totally crazy to expect FA/trading after the draft (or even during it...but who knows).

I'm clueless with this law stuff. So what is the next step(s) that would allow FA to occur?

The NFL will appeal regardless of whether they get a stay. Stay means that the lockout will still occur while the appeal process gets sorted out. If they are not granted a stay, then FA/trading/etc will resume. If for some reason the appeals court sides with the league, then the lockout will be reinstated.

So as of right now, everything is business as usual.

From what I've read, the language of Nelson's ruling makes it unlikely that an appeal in the appellate courts would be successful for the league. It's not very likely she will grant a stay, and thus the lockout would end immediately. Best case scenario, this is all settled by the early morning hours of thursday, and trades/free agency can begin.

It would be nice to get a draft-day pick from the vikings in exchange for Nabby. =D

It would be rejected in a matter of days by them.

Don't be so sure. Replace NFL and Players with GM and auto workers and it becomes a huge issue. If the precedents for the NFL affect other labor situations, they might feel compelled to rule. I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea if the same laws apply.

It would be nice to get a draft-day pick from the vikings in exchange for Nabby. =D

This is the main reason i hope that this thing opens up before the draft. Man still can't believe the draft starts in less than 3 days. Its going to be a crazy ride.

He's 34, he will be on the downside of his career. Frankly, the Colts need to draft his successor and develop him. Structure Peyton's next contract so he can be cut in 2-3 years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them do that, although it would probably be more along the lines of 3-4 years (in a contract that'll probably total about 5 years), and in those few years he'll be making a looooooot of money.

I don't know if anyone posted this in here yet...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/25/source-coaches-told-not-to-speak-to-players/

And more confusion...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/25/vanden-bosch-tells-lions-to-stay-home-while-other-players-plan-to-work-tuesday/

Me thinks everyone is a bit pre-mature in their celebration.

The owners want the SCOTUS...

I doubt the SCOTUS will take the case.

Nothing will happen until the Appeals case is heard. I figure free agency won't start until after the draft; so say Sunday at the earliest. The owners will wait and see what happens with the 8th Circuit.

Until they rule against the owners, then I won't get excited.

He's 34, he will be on the downside of his career. Frankly, the Colts need to draft his successor and develop him. Structure Peyton's next contract so he can be cut in 2-3 years.

I disagree. Despite having a down season, for him anyway, Peyton still has probably 5-7 seasons left as a starter. As long as his wits are still about him he can still be an effective pocket QB, so he doesn't have to move around a lot and he doesn't get sacked a lot. Plus he is a big guy, so he cantake the hits even as he gets older.

The Colts are in a postion where they don't need to have a sense of urgency in finding Peyton's replacement. They can wait a couple more seasons, get the guy they really like without having to give up a bunch of picks to get him, and still have a season or 2 of grooming the QB before he'll be needed to take over.

The NFL is lucky I don't work for NFLPA because I would be playing for all the chips.

I would even threaten to challenge the NFL rule the prevents all teams being owned collectively (Green Bay) by the public of the city/state.

Yeah, zero-sum warfare baby.

Beirut style.

I'm still pissed that the owners had the nerve to try to stash away TV revenue for the lock-out.

No one here seems to really get this. Assuming there is no stay of the ruling, there will not suddenly be free agency like last year. It will be MUCH bigger than that. Why in the world should the players accept anything that limits free agency in any manner? The free agency rules, the franchise tag, the draft -- those are all antitrust violations. If the owners attempt to impose the 2010 rules, the players will be back in court in front of Judge Nelson claiming collusion, and restraint of trade. And they will win. The idiot owners have not yet figured out that they needed a CBA as much if not more than the players, because the CBA legitimized all the free agent restrictions. But the genie is now out of the bottle folks. It is now wide open free agency for anyone not under contract. No six year rule, no tenders to restricted free agents, no franchise tags. Peyton Manning is now a free agent. If no one even attempts to sign him it will be blatant collusion, and the owners will start paying significant damages. Danny better get his checkbook ready. Someone's gotta step up. Seriously, the NFL has now been significantly changed, and whether we like it or not those are the rules. If the owners do not now rush back to the bargaining table they are the biggest idiots in the world. It's going to get wild. This weekend's draft may now well be meaningless, because all those rookies will be free agents too.

No one here seems to really get this. Assuming there is no stay of the ruling, there will not suddenly be free agency like last year. It will be MUCH bigger than that. Why in the world should the players accept anything that limits free agency in any manner? The free agency rules, the franchise tag, the draft -- those are all antitrust violations. If the owners attempt to impose the 2010 rules, the players will be back in court in front of Judge Nelson claiming collusion, and restraint of trade. And they will win...
Took the words right out of my mouth.

No one here seems to really get this. Assuming there is no stay of the ruling, there will not suddenly be free agency like last year. It will be MUCH bigger than that. Why in the world should the players accept anything that limits free agency in any manner? The free agency rules, the franchise tag, the draft -- those are all antitrust violations. If the owners attempt to impose the 2010 rules, the players will be back in court in front of Judge Nelson claiming collusion, and restraint of trade. And they will win. The idiot owners have not yet figured out that they needed a CBA as much if not more than the players, because the CBA legitimized all the free agent restrictions. But the genie is now out of the bottle folks. It is now wide open free agency for anyone not under contract. No six year rule, no tenders to restricted free agents, no franchise tags. Peyton Manning is now a free agent. If no one even attempts to sign him it will be blatant collusion, and the owners will start paying significant damages. Danny better get his checkbook ready. Someone's gotta step up. Seriously, the NFL has now been significantly changed, and whether we like it or not those are the rules. If the owners do not now rush back to the bargaining table they are the biggest idiots in the world. It's going to get wild. This weekend's draft may now well be meaningless, because all those rookies will be free agents too.

Yep.

The owners played with fire and now they're going to get burnt.

Yep.

The owners played with fire and now they're going to get burnt.

This is a long, long way from being over. It was widley assumed that the players would get this first ruling, the NFL certainly factored this into their thinking. The next round will be more interesting when the appeal is heard becuase conventional wisdom is that the NFL is the favourite to win at that stage. What then?

Fire burns without favourites and the only way out of this mess for both sides is a negotiated settlement. Anything decided and impossed via courts will not bring closure to this dispute.

Archived