Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lockout Watch: 4/29: Stay of injunction granted, LOCKOUT REINSTATED

SonOfWashington

I wonder what fans actually expect from all of this? Are any of you surprised?

Did they not expect owners to lock the players out? Do they not expect D Smith to take a hard line in negotiations/legal angles? Do they not expect Goodell to try to curry favor with fans and divide the players (yesterday's op-ed)?

Both sides are in the middle of a multi-billion dollar a year negotiation. They would be incompetent if they weren't playing every card they have, both legally and from a PR angle. Smith and Goodell are NOT incompetent. The fact that so many are caught up in what amounts to the 2nd quarter of this fight is very interesting to me.

Here's what fans should expect. The doomsday scenario Goodell painted won't come to fruition. The draft, free agency, etc., will continue to exist, maybe with small negotiated tweaks. Movement on negotiations will happen on smaller issues over the summer, like a rookie salary scale and retirement health coverage. Movement on the biggest issue - the player's % of the pie - will be a huge sticking point well into the summer and possibly into the season.

Minus the owners being totally eviscerated legally (something I think is impossible over the short run), expect a very late deal at best. Don't expect a meaningful preseason. Expect a somewhat shortened season. This is a very real possibility.

At some point they'll make a deal, games will be played this year and the Redskins will win the championship, because that's what we do after strikes.

To get rid of the CBA is indeed to slay the golden goose but it is the owners who got rid of it not the players. They were using the lockout as leverage to get what they gave back and now it has backfired. The players would happily play on the terms of the old CBA. His piece was written as if his doomsday scenario is what the players are after when the owners are the one that brought this on in the first place. That being said the NFL will NEVER become like european soccer because the owners will never as you say slay the golden goose. It is a scare tactic that accomplishes nothing. It looks bad because he comes off as whining about a situation that he brought on and bringing up scenarios that is possible but that rational minds know they will never allow to get to that point.

I figure the appellate court will rule in favor of the players and league year will begin maybe as early as next week.

As for a CBA agreement; that won't be happening anytime soon. It took 6 years from the 87 strike before there was an agreement and I figure the court process will take as long.

The NFL will play under some court determined rules in the meantime.

To get rid of the CBA is indeed to slay the golden goose but it is the owners who got rid of it not the players. They were using the lockout as leverage to get what they gave back and now it has backfired. The players would happily play on the terms of the old CBA. His piece was written as if his doomsday scenario is what the players are after when the owners are the one that brought this on in the first place. That being said the NFL will NEVER become like european soccer because the owners will never as you say slay the golden goose. It is a scare tactic that accomplishes nothing. It looks bad because he comes off as whining about a situation that he brought on and bringing up scenarios that is possible but that rational minds know they will never allow to get to that point.

Not true. The true leverage is the owners are richer than the players. That is what it will come to if the players don't truly try and compromise.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 12:54 AM ----------

I figure the appellate court will rule in favor of the players and league year will begin maybe as early as next week.

As for a CBA agreement; that won't be happening anytime soon. It took 6 years from the 87 strike before there was an agreement and I figure the court process will take as long.

The NFL will play under some court determined rules in the meantime.

Talked to a lawyer. No way it takes that long. They said, back then the risk vs. reward for the owners and players were a lot less than it is today. No one is willing to risk what they have now.

Not true. The true leverage is the owners are richer than the players. That is what it will come to if the players don't truly try and compromise.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 12:54 AM ----------

Talked to a lawyer. No way it takes that long. They said, back then the risk vs. reward for the owners and players were a lot less than it is today. No one is willing to risk what they have now.

Maybe not 6 years but there will not be a CBA this year unless the owners win. If the players win, then I see them just playing the season under court approved rules for 2011 and everything gets pushed into 2012 before some final CBA deal is reached. There doesn't have to be a CBA for the 2011 season to be played. All that has to happen is that the owners lose in the Appellate round. They lose- the league is reopened. It's going to alot longer to reach a deal and I see nothing happening this year if the players win.

Maybe not 6 years but there will not be a CBA this year unless the owners win. If the players win, then I see them just playing the season under court approved rules for 2011 and everything gets pushed into 2012 before some final CBA deal is reached. There doesn't have to be a CBA for the 2011 season to be played. All that has to happen is that the owners loose in the Appellate round. The loose- the league is reopened. It's going to alot longer to reach a deal and I see nothing happening this year if the players win.

Keep in mind, it keeps the rising stars under bad contracts for 6 years. The players will lose a lot of money that way.

Schefter also just tweeted: "Judge's 20 page order takes her 89 page order from Mon and hits the major points even harder.*Makes NFL's attempt to get overturned harder."

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 10:02 PM ----------

Also...

"League will tell the teams to hold pending 8th Circuit Ruling on the stay, NFLPA's position is it can't. Going to be interesting."

Still not totally clear, but Schefter just tweeted "Judge ordered NFL to start its league year immediately, but said no team is obligated to sign free agents. Trades in question."

Why wouldnt anybody want to If they need to?

Archived