Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lockout Watch: 4/29: Stay of injunction granted, LOCKOUT REINSTATED

SonOfWashington

lol, how funny would it be to wake up and see that mcnabb was traded, haynesworth was traded, we signed Vjax and the best oline available? haha

That would be gravy...Man, my juices are starting to flow again about the NFL.... Possible transactions (FA, trades), draft on tomorrow, Friday & Saturday.. This will be a fun ride. :)

She needs to be more clear. So the lock out is lifted but it's ok for the league not to sign any players. What about trades? What about players working out at the facility?

She is saying, the lockout must end. However, just like normal corporate rules, the owners can do whatever they want. Trade players, sign them, or do nothing.

But the players on rosters, should be allowed to workout at team facilities and continue towards a season. The owners should stick to this to create a divide on the players side. Imagine Lorenzo Alexander and all being allowed to work out, but not Santana Moss. That won't go so well.

so, it doesn't look like we will do any trades until NFL hear back from the Appeal early next week. I guess we will trade for next year picks then. I wonder if the League, legally, can set the same rule like last year on FA. Less than 6 yrs is RFA. Can the players challenge that? Will be chaos this week for sure.

I highly doubt teams will go out and sign a bunch of free agents, trade players for draft picks, etc. tomorrow. My sense is that teams will holster their sidearms until the league gets the chance to assess the situation and figure out a game plan. Once a few teams make a couple of big moves, I would think that would start a big chain reaction in short order, but I think we're days or weeks away from that point.

Judge Susan Nelson has denied the NFL owners' request for a "stay" on the lockout injunction, meaning the league is back in limbo with regard to free agency and potential player trades.

Don't think player trades will be allowed during the draft, or that Nnamdi Asomugha is signing with anyone tonight. The owners' next step is to appeal immediately in St. Louis' Eighth Circuit Court, a Republican-heavy branch known for conservative decisions. The Court could easily put a hold on the chaos that free agency during the draft would bring. The players, of course, will argue that the new league year has begun and transactions should be allowed. Regardless, it's another big-time win for the players.

NFL business analyst Andrew Brandt considers it "doubtful" that the league will commence usual business despite Judge Susan Nelson's Thursday denial of a stay of the lockout injunction.

The next step is the Eighth Circuit, and the NFL won't commence free agency or veteran trades until the Appeals Court rules. There is the possibility of a "rogue owner" (Al Davis?) pursuing free agents, but not if there is any kind of unity on the league side. And the owners can't afford disunity when they're losing so badly in court. Of course, the NFL/owners risk being in contempt of court if they don't adhere to Nelson's ruling.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, NFL free agency and player trades are "highly unlikely" until sometime next week.

Schefter also says undrafted free agent signings are unlikely to occur immediately after the draft, as they normally would. So the Eagles can forget about getting a first-round pick for Kevin Kolb, let alone anyone signing Nnamdi Asomugha. NFL agents have been making calls to teams, but owners and GMs aren't answering. Only draft pick trades will be allowed this weekend.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?r=1

Love how they named Al Davis.......................

Keep in mind, it keeps the rising stars under bad contracts for 6 years. The players will lose a lot of money that way.

There are no rules unless the court imposes one or the NFL owners come up with one- though they do that at risk for anti-trust violations should the players win their suit. The players would gladly accept 2009 rules, don't think many of them like 2010 other than there was no salary cap. The owners will be in no mood to agree to a new CBA this year. There will be a 2011 season but I don't see any CBA coming until 2012 or later.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 02:26 AM ----------

She needs to be more clear. So the lock out is lifted but it's ok for the league not to sign any players. What about trades? What about players working out at the facility?

Yeah, that part is confusing. Lockout is over but the NFL isn't obligated to do anything other than open the doors?

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 02:28 AM ----------

I pray to god Allen is on the phone with Mannings agent right now.

I hope not. No more 34 year old QBs. Manning is on the downside. If we are going to do the franchise QB thing, we draft one. Also, there is nothing on this team on offense that would make Manning want to sign here. He would be better off in Dallas.

If we were closer to the season, the judge should cite the NFL for contempt for continuing to act like a lockout is still in effect. But since there is time, go ahead and let the greedy stewarts of our football teams appeal the ruling. It's going to be that much more funnier and sweeter when they lose that as well.

Archived