Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NG: Zombie Fungus Rears its Ugly Head.

AsburySkinsFan

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/pictures/110303-zombie-ants-fungus-new-species-fungi-bugs-science-brazil/#/zombie-fungus-infects-insects-mind-control-ant-infected_32848_600x450.jpg

A stalk of the newfound fungus species Ophiocordyceps camponoti-balzani, grows out of a "zombie" ant's head in a Brazilian rain forest.

Originally thought to be a single species, called Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, the fungus is actually four distinct species—all of which can "mind control" ants—scientists announced Wednesday.

The fungus species can infect an ant, take over its brain, and then kill the insect once it moves to a location ideal for the fungi to grow and spread their spores.

(Related pictures: ""Zombie" Ants Controlled, Decapitated by Flies.")

All four known fungi species live in Brazil's Atlantic rain forest, which is rapidly changing due to climate change and deforestation, said study leader David Hughes, an entomologist at Penn State University.

Hughes and colleagues made the discovery after noticing a wide diversity of fungal growths emerging from ant victims, according to the March 2 study in the journal PLoS ONE.

"It is tempting to speculate that each species of fungus has its own ant species that it is best adapted to attack," Hughes said.

"This potentially means thousands of zombie fungi in tropical forests across the globe await discovery," he said. "We need to ramp up sampling—especially given the perilous state of the environment."

—Matt Kaplan

Published March 3, 2011

If anyone watched the rainforest Planet Earth episode they already know all about this and it is also probably already being researched. That series is several years old now. And it doesn't affect just ants. Moths, stick bugs, and other insects all became derranged and literally started walking like a zombie. The ant climbed a plant stalk then died after it reached a certain height. The variety of growths sprouting from the insects heads and bodies was quite disturbingly beautiful.

Vase and a glass picture frame.

^^I've got a TV. Not the most effective weapon...
I got a lavalamp.
I have...a book.
I got a stack of CD's.....hmmmm ninja stars yeah baby!
I gotta bottle of 1800 !!

You guys all have it better than me.

I got an empty Gatorade bottle. So screwed.

A squeeze bottle of Aveeno ® Baby ® Eczema Therapy Skin Protectant.

My toddler's dry skin be damned -- zombies, prepare to die of massive colloidal oatmeal poisoning! And with this many federally registered trademarks, your hopes for finding a freely available antidote are nil. Suckers.

Zombie moisturegeddon! Heeeee-yaaaarrrrrggghhh!

Yeah......I'm sure that's exactly why you've got a bottle of lotion right next to your computer :ols:

:silly:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to say that! :ols:

If I was using this stuff for that stuff, instead of using it to treat my daughter's skin condition, I suspect a particularly well-aimed lightning bolt would render both me and the computer molten. :D

If anyone watched the rainforest Planet Earth episode they already know all about this and it is also probably already being researched. That series is several years old now. And it doesn't affect just ants. Moths, stick bugs, and other insects all became derranged and literally started walking like a zombie. The ant climbed a plant stalk then died after it reached a certain height. The variety of growths sprouting from the insects heads and bodies was quite disturbingly beautiful.

Exactly what I thought about when I saw the thread title.

Archived