Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THE official Carolina will take Cam Newton #1 / What happens to Jimmy Clausen thread.

Oldskool

WesBunting Wesley Bunting

The more people I talk to in the league, the more I get the feeling that #Auburn QB Cam Newton ends up going first overall...#nfldraft

So if this comes true, what do you think happens to Clausen and would the Skins be interested (in your opinion) in making a trade with Carolina?

I thought the Panthers had two young QBs with promise, in Clausen and Moore. Thought one of them would work out. If true, why spend the #1 pick overall to throw that away?

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I wish the Panthers would move so we could have more Skins games broadcast here in eastern NC.

edit: No to trading picks for Clausen or Moore.

Newton going to Carolina might not be a bad situation for him, if they also draft a WR to play across from the aging Steve Smith. Good enough line, good running game. I think it would be a terrible decision on their part, but it might not be horrible for him.

At the same time, Newton being gone at #1 doesn't change much for us, in regards to drafting Gabbert. I fully believe that the Bills would draft Newton at #3 anyways, and that they won't be drafting any QB there but him. If Newton's not there for them at #3, they'll go another direction. So any QB that was going to fall past #3 if Newton WAS available, will anyways.

So the only way this could effect us, would be if I'm wrong and Newton wouldn't go at #3 either, or if you're interested in trading for Clausen...I'd stay away from that. I'd also expect them to hold onto him for a year or two as insurance anyways. Its not like he trade value will be very high.

I'm sorry but if Shanahan had any serious interest in Clausen last year he wouldn't have traded for McNabb and would have drafted Clausen with the #4 pick. I thought Clausen was vastly overrated last year and I'm glad the Skins didn't waste the #4 pick on him.

Hell even if Shanahan was remotely interested in Clausen even after trading for McNabb he could have traded pick(s) in the '11 or '12 draft to trade into the early/mid 2nd round to draft Clausen. I just don't believe either Shanahan has any interest in Clausen.

I only watched Redskins games last season but this thread made me curious to see how good Claussen was so I youtubed his highlights. Its a 4 minute video, and at the beginning there's a caption that points to further in the stream reading "highlights begin here". Its somewhere around the 2 an a half minute mark.

I remember last year one of the big mocks had the Redskins picking him at #4 with the comment "him and Mike Shanahan light up the scoreboard for the next decade". He didn't even light up a 90 second portion of a youtube video.

I only watched Redskins games last season but this thread made me curious to see how good Claussen was so I youtubed his highlights. Its a 4 minute video, and at the beginning there's a caption that points to further in the stream reading "highlights begin here". Its somewhere around the 2 an a half minute mark.

I remember last year one of the big mocks had the Redskins picking him at #4 with the comment "him and Mike Shanahan light up the scoreboard for the next decade". He didn't even light up a 90 second portion of a youtube video.

That was Walter Football. Jimmy Clausen had all the hallmarks of a bust going into the draft, now we shouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Have to agree. He make JC look super accurate.

Not saying that I want or even like the kids game, but reports are that his accuracy issues stemmed from a foot injury that he sustained due to compensating for his surgically repaired toe.

I think Newton WILL go #1 to Carolina (new HC has no ties to the pickle), and Jimmy pairs up with AJ Green in Cincinnati as they go for youth to replace Palmer and Ocho. I hope we stay as far away from Clausen as possible, the dude showed NOTHING last season and he's a proven loser, no thank you.

Carolina is not gonna take Cam. With a new coach and not really knowing what they have in Clausen after a year they'd be stupid to do so.... They just went QB last draft. They're going defense without a doubt.

New coaches always take a QB or acquire a QB that they think fits their system. Ex: Shanny dumping Campbell and getting McNugget. They may not take a QB in the first but I bet that they take one.

Carolina is not gonna take Cam. With a new coach and not really knowing what they have in Clausen after a year they'd be stupid to do so.... They just went QB last draft. They're going defense without a doubt.

Exactly. Plus Rivera is a defensive-minded coach. And let's face it, there isn't a QB in this year's draft worthy of going #1. I think the Panthers will sign a free agent QB to compete with Clausen in camp (if there is one). I think Carolina will continue to throw out feelers that they are interested in Newton, only to drum up interest from other teams about acquiring the top pick.

---------- Post added March-3rd-2011 at 02:25 AM ----------

Could just be smoke. Maybe the Panthers wanna trade down.

This would be the wise move to make. But you have to have someone willing to trade with you. And, as I just stated above, I don't think there is a QB worthy of the top pick. And I can't imagine a team would trade into the #1 position in order to get Fairley or Bowers, etc.

New coaches always take a QB or acquire a QB that they think fits their system. Ex: Shanny dumping Campbell and getting McNugget. They may not take a QB in the first but I bet that they take one.

I agree with you basic premise but I believe Carolina may be the exception to this rule. After Collins and Rae Curuth Carolina has been playing by the rules of character trumping talent. I can't remember the last player they drafted high with character concerns.

John Fox had little to no say in personnel decisions in Carolina and he's a coach that took them to the Super Bowl. He even made some snide comments this past season telling a reporter they should ask the personnel department or something along those lines. If Fox didn't get a say, I sincerely doubt Rivera will. Clausen was Hurney's pick, not Fox's, and Hurney is still there.

It's possible Carolina falls in love with Newton but I think they go defense. They've had a whole at DT since Jenkins left and I think they finally fill it with Dareus or Fairley, but I'm leaning towards Dareus.

All that being said I don't want Clausen. I wasn't a big fan of his last April and he hasn't done anything to prove me wrong. I also don't think this past season was really an indicator of his talent or possible success in the league but nothing about him excites me. Even for a third day pick I think there could be QB's available in this draft I might rather have.

Count me out on Clausen. The guy really has no bright side to him. He's a d-bag who can't play. Now, if he were a likable guy like Tebow, I might say give him a shot, or if he was an ******* like Cutler but could play, ok, but he literally has nothing going for him. The next Brady Quinn, except more of a dbag.

Count me out on Clausen. The guy really has no bright side to him. He's a d-bag who can't play. Now, if he were a likable guy like Tebow, I might say give him a shot, or if he was an ******* like Cutler but could play, ok, but he literally has nothing going for him. The next Brady Quinn, except more of a dbag.

The unmitigated hatred for Clausen always leaves me scratching my head. As if you know the guy personally.

On radio here yesterday it was reported that someone high up in the Panthers organization said that the new coaching staff believes that Clausen is a better prospect than all but two QBs in this year's draft (Newton and Gabbert was the assumption.) Went on to say that they thought Rivera, being a defensive minded coach, would go that way, but a trade down would be the best scenario for them in an effort to recoup a 2nd round pick that they gave up last year to move up and take Armanti Edwards. Now THAT was an epic fail, as Edwards barely saw the field, and that 2nd rounder becomes pick #33. Also said that NOBODY took Clausen under their wing, as the coaching staff knew they were lame ducks, and just basically mailed it in last year.

Clausen did not look good last year, but hell, the entire team in Carolina stunk out loud. There were two Olinemaen injured and out for the year. Williams and Stewart were not healthy together at any time, Their Dline, outside of C. Johnson was a sieve, and T. Davis was out for the season, with Beason moving to a new position. Also, Steve Smith (who is a REAL dbag) was his petulant self, and often dropped passes, and went through the motions. Not to mention that their TEs and #2 reciever(s) just plain sucked.

I watch a lot of the Panther games, when I'm not wathching the Skins, and that team had problems just about everywhere. Yeah, Clausen sucked last year, but he had A LOT of help.

Archived