Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THE official Carolina will take Cam Newton #1 / What happens to Jimmy Clausen thread.

Oldskool

Cam Newton - QB - Player

Panthers head coach Ron Rivera will be personally on hand for Auburn QB Cam Newton's Pro Day on Tuesday.

We won't blurb each NFL coach's Pro Day attendances, but this is notable because of schedule overlapping. Both Auburn and Arkansas run Pro Days on Tuesday, so Rivera will ostensibly not watch Ryan Mallett throw. One NFL scout told SI's Peter King in his MMQB that the scheduling conflict "really drives me nuts." It's not surprising that Rivera is choosing Newton over Mallett as the 2010 Heisman winner gains momentum to be the No. 1 pick.

Related: Panthers, Ryan Mallett

Source: Charlotte Observer

Mar 7, 12:37 PM

Cam Newton went undefeated in the SEC, won a National Championship, and a Heisman. Clausen's claim to fame is a bowl victory over Hawaii.If you think Clausen will be better than Newton you need to watch some tape. Newton at worst will be another Jason Campbell.

Jimmy looked horrible last year, but they shouldn't give up on him yet. Ron Rivera is a defensive coach so let him work his magic and get the defense going. I think he should start by building a dominating defensive line. Most of the NFC SB teams over the last 10 years had a dominating defensive line to carry them. The Panthers already have Greg Hardy, Eric Norwood, and Everette Brown for the defensive line and Thomas Davis and Jon Beason at linebacker. I think you take the best defensive lineman you think you need at #1. Then in round 2 get a right tackle, in round 3 get a physical BIG target TE. You already have young WRs to develop so let them do that and sign a free agent servicable guard. The following draft you can address the secondary, maybe WR, and another defensive lineman. The Panthers situation seem easy to fix when I think about it.

Cam Newton - QB - Player

The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt predicts that Auburn QB Cam Newton will be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

"I think they were so set on Andrew Luck coming out, they're not going to wait," explains Gantt. "They need a quarterback." Gantt is the most clued-in Panthers beat writer in the country, so it would be difficult to not trust him. He also believes coach Ron Rivera "is going (to Auburn's Pro Day) for a reason," and that's to meet with the Panthers' next franchise quarterback.

Related: Panthers

Source: bengals.com

Mar 7, 8:48 PM

Of course its "for a reason". Still doesn't mean they're taking him at #1. But they have to see him. And they've probably already decided that Mallett isn't to their liking, so Newton's Pro Day (same day as Mallett's) is the obvious choice no matter their intentions at #1.

The Panthers didn't invest two draft picks on quarterbacks last year. Armanti Edwards was a QB at App State, yes. But he wasn't drafted by the Panthers to play QB. They drafted him as a WR. Even traded this year's 2nd round pick for him! lol

Actually, and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, the Panthers TECHNICALLY drafted 3 quarterbacks last year. Clausen, Edwards, and Tony Pike from Cincinnati.....Granted, Edwards wasnt meant to be a QB. But they snuck in and grabbed Tony Pike in the 6th round. I cant possibly see them taking Newton after technically drafting 3 QB's last year. And I also cant see this FO being interested in Clausen, nor do I want him on the roster.

Actually, and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, the Panthers TECHNICALLY drafted 3 quarterbacks last year. Clausen, Edwards, and Tony Pike from Cincinnati.....Granted, Edwards wasnt meant to be a QB. But they snuck in and grabbed Tony Pike in the 6th round. I cant possibly see them taking Newton after technically drafting 3 QB's last year. And I also cant see this FO being interested in Clausen, nor do I want him on the roster.

Previous regime. There is no certainty that Ron Rivera is going to do anything with Pike and new HC's always take their QB and disregard the previous HC's QB. (See Shanahan/Campbell/McNabb for example).

They drafted two QBs. Again, the Panthers had NO desire at drafting Edwards to play QB. They drafted him to play WR first and foremost. They also envisioned that he could possibly see some time as a returner as well. That is, until he couldn't even catch the damn ball! Edwards is WAY too small to play QB, man. Trust me, I live here, they had no thoughts of playing him at QB. And Pike was a long-term project, in their eyes.

You're right about Cam, though. Not a chance they are taking him. First off, their owner is well known for not wanting bad character guys on his team. Cam has had too sketchy of a past. Plus the Panthers just hired a defensive-minded coach. If there were a sure-fire QB (like Luck) there, sure, they would pull the trigger. But they aren't going to go with Newton.

And I don't foresee the Skins having any interest in Clausen, btw.

Not only that they drafted 2 QBs and had a young QB in Moore under center.

Everyone knows the football cliche:if you have 2 QBs you don't have 1.

But, like most cliches there is some truth there because young QBs need to reps and must take a leadership role.

Its a tough spot to have 2 young QBs both trying to establish themselves as team leaders.

The Panthers were a total mess last year and created a difficult situation for any young QB to have success.

The Panthers owe it to themselves to give Clausen another chance.

They drafted two QBs. Again, the Panthers had NO desire at drafting Edwards to play QB. They drafted him to play WR first and foremost. They also envisioned that he could possibly see some time as a returner as well. That is, until he couldn't even catch the damn ball! Edwards is WAY too small to play QB, man. Trust me, I live here, they had no thoughts of playing him at QB. And Pike was a long-term project, in their eyes.

You're right about Cam, though. Not a chance they are taking him. First off, their owner is well known for not wanting bad character guys on his team. Cam has had too sketchy of a past. Plus the Panthers just hired a defensive-minded coach. If there were a sure-fire QB (like Luck) there, sure, they would pull the trigger. But they aren't going to go with Newton.

And I don't foresee the Skins having any interest in Clausen, btw.

I agree with you. My office is right outside of Charlotte, and I was devastated thinking the Panthers might get Luck. Like you said, he's the surefire thing. Have you noticed, though it might be the people I'm forced to hang around :), a lot of love for Newton because of newly discovered Auburn ties in the area? But, we agree, no chance Panthers take Newton.

REPORT: GM HURNEY ONLY CLAUSEN BELIEVER LEFT

GM Marty Hurney is reportedly the only member of the Panthers' front office or coaching staff still maintaining faith in Jimmy Clausen as a potential starter.

According to SI.com's Don Banks, "everyone else in Carolina, and many coaches and personnel men around the league for that matter" believe the Panthers desperately need to find a new quarterback. Hurney's head should be on the chopping block if he's forced to draft a QB at No. 1 overall. He's essentially wasted two second-round picks, having traded this year's to move up for Armanti Edwards last April. Mar 10, 2:32 PM

Source: SI.com

If Panthers are interested in Newton, it's because of his running ability. Ever sense Michael Vick returned to the NFL and showed everyone how good of a runner he is, that's all these teams want. A good scrambling QB can save you when your O-Line is not all that great.

But if Redskins take Clausen that two QB's that we have to get rid of. With a QB like Clausen your going to want a good veteran to help him develop. That means Grossman or John Beck have to hit the road. It would more alikely be John Beck, Grossman would move to 3rd string and McNabb would remain 1st, while Clausen is second. McNabb's situation is still uncertain. With the 2011 season uncertain, it's smart for teams to hang onto good QB's. I was thinking that if there is not football in 2011 season, this is the best time for owners, coaches & players to work out differences and prepare for the 2012 season. Now back to Clausen. I still remain firm on McNabb being here, if we were to trade for Clausen. Who would he feel more comfortable learning from? Rex Grossman or Donovan McNabb?

Mcnabb didn't know the offense that well and has sloppy footwork leading to the dirtballs. Sounds like a great mentor!

I like Mcnabb at QB I think he will improve with another year, he's a good QB and a great person.

The only way we screw up the 10 pick is with one of these QBs. The quickest way to get a bust is to declare we must draft a QB then just pick the best of what's available. Trade back trade veterans amass ammo for next year if you want a QB.

Both our interior lines suck and our WR position is depressing don't reach on these QBs get a quality pick at a need position.

If Panthers are interested in Newton, it's because of his running ability. Ever sense Michael Vick returned to the NFL and showed everyone how good of a runner he is, that's all these teams want. A good scrambling QB can save you when your O-Line is not all that great.

But if Redskins take Clausen that two QB's that we have to get rid of. With a QB like Clausen your going to want a good veteran to help him develop. That means Grossman or John Beck have to hit the road. It would more alikely be John Beck, Grossman would move to 3rd string and McNabb would remain 1st, while Clausen is second. McNabb's situation is still uncertain. With the 2011 season uncertain, it's smart for teams to hang onto good QB's. I was thinking that if there is not football in 2011 season, this is the best time for owners, coaches & players to work out differences and prepare for the 2012 season. Now back to Clausen. I still remain firm on McNabb being here, if we were to trade for Clausen. Who would he feel more comfortable learning from? Rex Grossman or Donovan McNabb?

Mcnabb didn't know the offense that well and has sloppy footwork leading to the dirtballs. Sounds like a great mentor!

I like Mcnabb at QB I think he will improve with another year, he's a good QB and a great person.

The only way we screw up the 10 pick is with one of these QBs. The quickest way to get a bust is to declare we must draft a QB then just pick the best of what's available. Trade back trade veterans amass ammo for next year if you want a QB.

Both our interior lines suck and our WR position is depressing don't reach on these QBs get a quality pick at a need position.

I said the same thing about McNabb. I think Shanny put so much expectation on him as the season came to a close. He was only going to be able to do so much with the current O-Line and receiver core we have. Giving him another year would do well for the team. The players like him and he still has something left in the tank.

Cam Newton - QB - Player

According to the Charlotte Observer, all signs point to the Panthers selecting Auburn QB Cam Newton at No. 1 overall.

The Panthers sent six representatives to Auburn's Pro Day, and they're back in Alabama for a private workout Wednesday. Of course, columnist Tom Sorensen acknowledges that Carolina's heavy interest in Newton could be a ruse to tempt another club into trading up for the QB. In which case, the Panthers would select LSU CB Patrick Peterson or Georgia WR A.J. Green. PFT's Mike Florio points out the Panthers will not be able to negotiate or finalize a contract with candidates for the No. 1 spot during the lockout.

• 4 weeks later...
I also think Newton goes #1, and I think Clausen should be looked at if he gets cut. No need to trade for him... maybe a new offense will put a spark under a young, almost failed QB

I agree. I wouldn't give up anything for Clausen but if he was cut I'd be interested in signing him. I think Clausen has plenty of potential and talent. But in Carolina he simply didn't stand a chance. I trust the Shanahan's with QB's so if they decided to take a flier on Clausen I'd be fine with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived