Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THE official Carolina will take Cam Newton #1 / What happens to Jimmy Clausen thread.

Oldskool

I don't think the Panther are going to take Cam Newton either. They invested 2 draft picks last year in QB's and after hearing that Cam Newton was speaking in third person and having problems breaking down coverages in his interviews at the Combine I would be surprised if he went in the top ten at all. I think the Panthers will take Peterson or Bowers especially since Peppers left last year I think he would make the most sense. I think Dareus could be in play after his combine performance but you will have to see how Bowers performs at his pro day.

Well, it seems to me that Cam Newton has been overblown the last couple of weeks. I think part of this is b/c of the lack of a QB in the draft that scouts really think should go in the top 5. With that said, if you are in the top 5 and are looking at Cam Newton, why not go after Vince Young? I realize he a bit of a head case but you know what you are getting and unless a rookie salary cap is in place for the next CBA, Vince Young would come a lot cheaper that Cam Newton.

Obviously it becomes easier to take Cam if there is a rookie salary cap in place of he is taken.....say after 5 or 6 b/c the price drops quite a bit, but it seems like a lot to risk at #1 for some one who a couple of weeks ago was projected to be taken at the 10 spot of further.

To go out and make a move for Clausen, the coaching staff would have to be convinced that he's the best answer out there as the Redskins quarterback of the future. Think about it... does this coaching staff really think that highly of Jimmy Clausen?

Clausen had pretty much nothing going for him last season. Carolina's O-Line was in shambles ue to injuries and lack of talent. DeAngelo Williams was hurt, and Stewart nicked up, so the threat of a running game wasn't there. Clausen was just a target in a shooting gallery. When he did actually have time to throw the ball, he had Steve Smith, a receiver with severly declining talent and a piss poor attitute, and....I can't actually name another Carolina receiver/TE.

Clausen was doomed from the start. Maybe his attitude and preparation, etc would have led to just as bad a season on their own, but he was put in an impossible situation. I've gone on record as saying I'll take other teams projects for next to nothing any day. Case in point, I loved the Erasmus James trade from a year or two ago, even though he never saw the field for us. I'd offer our 7th rounder to Carolina, take it or leave it. They'd probably leave it, but there's a small chance they want to start over and cut their losses, and if no one else offers them anything...

I wouldn't take Clausen if he were available as a UFA for a one year vet minimum deal.

I would rather have a jar of Clausen Pickles than Jimmy Clausen on my football team.

I would rather see a jar of Clausen Pickles take snaps under Center for the Skins than see another Jimmy Clausen thread in any way connected with the Redskins.

Clausen is off to a better start than Steve Young. Is Clausen the next Young? Obviously none of us can no the answer to that with any certainty.

Point is; judging a QB after their rookie season in awful conditions is just plain dumb. There's really no other word to describe it, other than dumb.

Clausen wasn't some shining light on the team, but he certainly didn't have a descent opportunity to succeed. In addition he had a lame duck coaching staff that probably didn't have two ****s about developing Clausen.

In my opinion if he's traded for something like a 4th+ rd pick, he'll be an absolute steal for some team.

look, simple and easy...our best scenario is Von Miller at 10, if he's not there then get Julio Jones. Then hope and pray Seattle doesn't go QB and pick Locker up before the second. Afterall the just sent a second to San Diego for Charlie Whitehurst. So if Locker should stay safe till the second and we swoop in and nab him.

look, simple and easy...our best scenario is Von Miller at 10, if he's not there then get Julio Jones. Then hope and pray Seattle doesn't go QB and pick Locker up before the second. Afterall the just sent a second to San Diego for Charlie Whitehurst. So if Locker should stay safe till the second and we swoop in and nab him.

I wouldn't really have a problem with Jones but I think Miller is a very poor fit for this team. The best thing we could do if he fell to 10 and there wasn't someone else we really really liked there is use him to trade back a bit.

WesBunting Wesley Bunting

The more people I talk to in the league, the more I get the feeling that #Auburn QB Cam Newton ends up going first overall...#nfldraft

So if this comes true, what do you think happens to Clausen and would the Skins be interested (in your opinion) in making a trade with Carolina?

I doesn't make any sense for the Panthers to give up on Clausen already.

Jimmy Clausen is the modern equivalent to Pat Ramsey.. straight gaaaaabage

---------- Post added March-3rd-2011 at 02:30 PM ----------

Te-bow! Te-bow! Te-bow!

Thank You! This is who you trade futures for, the WINNER w/o ANY character issues.. Its tough bc they reached on him so he has a 1st rounder title, but who knows what theyr new coaching staff would take for him, and they already said orton is their guy for now..

---------- Post added March-3rd-2011 at 02:33 PM ----------

Case in point, I loved the Erasmus James trade from a year or two ago, even though he never saw the field for us. I'd offer our 7th rounder to Carolina, take it or leave it. They'd probably leave it, but there's a small chance they want to start over and cut their losses, and if no one else offers them anything...

I believe that is the first erasmus james name drop in years, let alone comparison.. :notworthy you are the king of irrelivant players lol

All i know is that if he Pats score J.J. Watt with pick 28 it will cement the fact that they are just the luckiest ****s ever

RIGHT?!?!

NO to Clausen, I can't stand the guy. He should be the spokesman for Summer's Eve. I don't want this guy near my team.

jimmy-clausen.jpg.html?o=29

The real interesting part of this article for me was the second round selection. Do we really go with Corey Liuget over Phil Taylor at NT? Do we really go NT with Wisniewski on the board and Rabach still in our starting lineup?

I don't think the Panther are going to take Cam Newton either. They invested 2 draft picks last year in QB's and after hearing that Cam Newton was speaking in third person and having problems breaking down coverages in his interviews at the Combine I would be surprised if he went in the top ten at all. I think the Panthers will take Peterson or Bowers especially since Peppers left last year I think he would make the most sense. I think Dareus could be in play after his combine performance but you will have to see how Bowers performs at his pro day.

The Panthers didn't invest two draft picks on quarterbacks last year. Armanti Edwards was a QB at App State, yes. But he wasn't drafted by the Panthers to play QB. They drafted him as a WR. Even traded this year's 2nd round pick for him! lol

Btw, I'm thinking they go Fairley or Dareus. And like the poster above, I'm leaning towards them taking Dareus. Bowers is being compared to Gaines Adams. Great college player, who just couldn't get it done at the next level. Fairley would be a shoo-in for the Panthers if not for his character issues and also him not being as big as listed.

---------- Post added March-4th-2011 at 01:46 AM ----------

I am not sold on Newton going no 1

Jerry Richardson has to sign of on that move and as of Now I have doubts he will

Trust me, he won't. I live here and have followed this team from day 1. They're not taking Cam Newton. That's crazy talk.

I think the Panthers go defense. Clausen, was never Fox's guy. Fox and his coaching staff didn't even try to develop Clausen. They dumped him way down on the depth chart, the entire TC and preseason. He spent most of his time throwing to and practicing with guys that would eventually get cut before the regular season started. Then, his all pro tackle, Gross was injured most of the season, his mauler of a tackle, Otah was on IR all season. Dwill and Stewart spent most of the season injured..and to make matters worse, Fox dialed up the same predictable, vanilla offense he has dialed up for the last couple of years. Run, Run, Pass, Punt. All defenses had to do was stack 10 in the box, because they knew Fox wouldn't switch his style.. Most Qbs would look horrible if opposing defenses knew exactly what plays you were going to do before you did them. Clausen had only one shining thing about him last year though. It wasn't his playing ability, it was his durability. He got pounded on, I mean knocked to the ground, beat up, about 15+ times a game. Sacked over 3 times a game. Yet, he'd bounce back up after each hit like he didn't feel it. Clausen, imo, could definitely prove to be Rivera's "Guy".

Archived