Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Leonard Hankerson could fit with the Redskins

Hitman21ST

Would Joyce and Galarraga having a book deal really cause a conflict of interests on the field?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would Joyce and Galarraga having a book deal really cause a conflict of interests on the field?

• Yes
    • No

You should be getting props all over the place for this one Hitman.

Nice call.:cheers:

There should be a "pat myself on the back" smiley.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 02:51 AM ----------

Yikes, 9,000!

I have said too much here over the years. More than likely too much of a whole lot of nothing.:silly:

You should be getting props all over the place for this one Hitman.

Nice call.:cheers:

There should be a "pat myself on the back" smiley.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 02:51 AM ----------

Yikes, 9,000!

I have said too much here over the years. More than likely too much of a whole lot of nothing.:silly:

It's OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!

I can't BELIEVE he's only 6'1-6'2, looking at him on the field. He looks like a skinnier Andre Johnson or something. Dude's got reach, and, if anything, that helps Rexy with his 'going deep' problem. I think this guy can snare it in, and save Rex an INT or two.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 04:49 AM ----------

Weird.

Hankerson's a Redskins fan. He confirmed it on twitter. :)

Yea, and check out the kid in the Cooley jersey and all. Can you imagine the whole family hoping he becomes a Redskin, and he does? And he turns out to be a great fit? This is all just too good. This draft is ****ing beautiful.

A very good read on why we should like our new receiver.

Statistical Analysis of WR Leonard Hankerson, the Best "Big WR" Available in the NFL Draft...and possibly the next Hakeem Nicks

Leonard Hankerson, Miami, Fla WR -- 2011 NFL Draft, Fantasy Football 2011

*our "Big WRs" are 6'0+ and 205+ pounds, or 6'2+ no matter what weight

**You may enjoy an article on the overall statistical problem with drafting WRs, which is a forerunner to these individual player reports -- NFL Draft 2011 - Why are you so sure Julio Jones and A.J. Green are NFL "Locks"? A Look at the Comedy that is WR Draft Picks in the NFL - Fantasy Football 2011

Before you go crazy on this "heresy", hear me out.

Actually, let's re-visit recent history for a quick second before you try to "burn me at the stake" for daring spit in the face of the NFL Draft media's Julio Jones/A.J. Green obsession that they have been constantly forcing on us...

2009:

In 2009, the media was debating the absolute unquestioned greatness of Michael Crabtree. The argument was only, "is Crabtree a #1 overall pick or is he just a Top-5 pick"? No one would dare dispute the "fact" of Crabtree's pending greatness. When the media took a breath from pushing Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin was part of the early draft pick discussions...but definitely to be selected after his "holiness" (Michael Crabtree). Late in the 2009 pre-Draft hype, along came Darrius Heyward-Bey, and his "super-human" speed, into the discussion as a 1st Round pick (the fact he had lower college performance metrics and, in general, couldn't catch the ball very well; didn't seem to bother anyone).

Draft Day 2009 -- Crabtree falls, but just to #10 overall. Maclin is selected #19 and somehow Darrius Heyward-Bey is selected #7 overall. The DHB pick is panned for being "too high" (how dare an NFL team not take players in the order the media has ordained them to!), but all media had signed off on DHB as a 1st Round pick...so their fingerprints are on the weapon, whether they deny it or not.

As fans, we took that all that pre-Draft hype in -- and ran with it. As the NFL pre-season started -- Crabtree became "a steal" in the media and around the water cooler, and was highly selected in Fantasy Football Draft's despite a ridiculous hold-out...and many of you got burned with the thought process of "knowing" Crabtree would be an instant elite WR (don't blame the QB, Vernon Davis was amazing that year). Some of you even went back for seconds on this burn, by taking him again last season as a Top-10/15 Fantasy Football WR in 2010. Everyone seemed so sure Michael Crabtree was "money" coming out Texas Tech...that great catch against Texas (and it was), those big college stats, and the media pumping him -- how could it be wrong?...only it was.

The best WR taken that 2009 Draft day wasn't Michael Crabtree, or Darrius Heyward-Bey, or Jeremy Maclin...the best future NFL WR was the 4th WR taken in that Draft -- Hakeem Nicks, and it's not even close (among "Big WRs") for a debate. Hakeem Nicks is an elite NFL WR; and there has rarely been a WR like him seen in the NFL (combo of productivity, size, speed, strength, hands)...only no one said it at the time. Instead the NY Giants were mostly mocked for the pick for being a "reach". No one said Nicks was better than Crabtree, except maybe us. WR Hakeem Nicks and Michael Crabtree - Fantasy Football 2010 Picks and Projections

2010:

In 2010, there was a less heated pre-draft debate on the WRs, with most of it focused on the pending greatness of Dez Bryant; while other media looked toward Demaryius Thomas, Arrellious Benn or Golden Tate as 1st Round talent. Ultimately, Demaryius Thomas was the highest selected WR in the Draft...but, he wasn't the best WR in the NFL (so far). In the end, with only a short snapshot of history, the best WR out of the 2010 NFL Draft (so far) is Mike Williams/TB...and we missed this by a mile, our system did not have Williams with the potential to be anything besides mediocre. I'm still "out with the jury" on Williams, but no denying he had a very good season...and the overall point being -- there is recent precedent of the true top WRs in the Draft being ignored in the media completely.

In the last 2 NFL Drafts, the best performing NFL WR wasn't even selected among the first 3 WRs drafted. Both Hakeem Nicks and Mike Williams were barely discussed (positively) in the media leading into the NFL Draft. With that in mind, at least be open to the fact that the best future NFL WR may actually not be in the media's Top-5 WRs currently...because it is a recent theme that the media is missing the WR mark often in their NFL Draft analysis (again see article on the recent history above).

2011:

In 2011, we have the very obvious A.J. Green and Julio Jones as media darlings at the top of WR lists, and then usually Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb in some order with Jonathan Baldwin and Leonard Hankerson mixed in there somewhere. Just like Hakeem Nicks was considered the 5th-7th best WR in the 2009 draft, the best WR in the 2011 NFL Draft is also on the outskirts of the consensus Top-5...the best WR in the Draft, according to our system analysis, is Miami's Leonard Hankerson. Let's get into the case of why we consider Hankerson is the best of 2011:

http://fantasyfootballmetrics.com/Player_News/2011/NFL%20Draft/Draft_2011_Hankerson_4-5-11_2.0.htm

Hankerson is a bigger receiver (6'3, 205) who has very reliable hands.

You sold me right there.

I've been saying for years that the best thing you can say about a receiver is "he catches the ball".

IMO, that's the reason Cooley is so popular with the fans. He catches balls, where other receivers drop them.

And that's what the Skins need: Somebody besides Cooley who catches the ball.

Ok, I'm actually pleased with the Hankerson pick for where we got him. Ultimate value pick.

However, as a Hurricane fan... he does NOT have reliable hands. He's inconsistent. Some games he catches everything... And some games he drops a ton.

"I propose that Leonard Hankerson is the superior WR prospect to A.J. Green. The proof of that (to me) will be that some team will take Hankerson much sooner than 'the experts' expected...and that team will probably be one that we look at and think, 'they did it again, how do they do it...'"

I guess this guy didn't get his "proof" yet but hopefully he'll get it during the season. :)

Ok, I'm actually pleased with the Hankerson pick for where we got him. Ultimate value pick.

However, as a Hurricane fan... he does NOT have reliable hands. He's inconsistent. Some games he catches everything... And some games he drops a ton.

As an ad hoc Miami fan (the wife went there), let's be fair. He was supposed to have two of the best QB prospects in the state throwing to him as well. They were each more inconsistent than Leonard. I hear what your saying though, he's had some bad plays, but to call him unreliable is a stretch in my opinion. All of the idiots had him as the number 3 WR in the draft...

Based solely on college highlight tapes he looks like his hands are just a step below Malcom's at Oklahoma, but his route running skills are significantly more polished. I am happy to see that he often catches the ball with his hands away from his body. If you watch the big stud WRs in the NFL, you'll notice the best ones catch with their hands, not their bodies.

Will be interesting to see how he does with press coverage. As we've seen over the years, no WR is a sure thing, but to me I always look to see a) can they catch the ball away from their body, B) have they had to hone their route running ability in college? Too many college WRs can rely on their speed to get separation.

Nice to see Hankerson has been coached by both Chris Carter (I still hate CC as a person, but still) and Mark Duper.

Also, not very important, but when he scores he tends to drop the ball in the end zone or toss it to the ref without becoming egomaniacal about his success. Barry Sanders - style.

As an ad hoc Miami fan (the wife went there), let's be fair. He was supposed to have two of the best QB prospects in the state throwing to him as well. They were each more inconsistent than Leonard. I hear what your saying though, he's had some bad plays, but to call him unreliable is a stretch in my opinion. All of the idiots had him as the number 3 WR in the draft...

Let's be fair here, as well... The WR class as a whole isn't great after Green and Jones.

Hankerson drops too many balls. So saying he has reliable hands is a questionable scouting report. He does run good routes and he was good value pick. I'm not mad at our selection there.

Man, oh, man, I was screaming at my TV for most of the first part of this draft. Love the Kerrigan pick, but after they did that, every time their pick came up in the second round, I was going "Hankerson!!"

After they picked the DT (at which my reaction was literally, "Who the :censored: is that?"), their other 2nd-rounder came around and I was going "Hankerson!" So they traded back once. I was cool with that. "Draft Hankerson!!". They traded back again and I actually started going a little bit nuts "DRAFT :censored: HANKERSON! WHAT THE :censored: ARE YOU DOING?!"

But, in the 3rd round, they finally got him.

He's no Jones or Green (who I think will both be very good, for the record), but I think that this is finally the guy that we've been looking for out of the draft since...hell, since we drafted Michael Westbrook in '95. There are noted differences already between Hankerson and our last (failed) receiver project, Devin Thomas. Thomas was a one-year wonder that had a lot of raw talent, but didn't understand the intricacies of the position and didn't always put the work in to learn them. Hankerson's was a team captain and the numbers speak for themselves. He also had two productive years playing in the ACC, which tends to produce a lot of very good defensive backs from year to year. He's maybe not a consistent downfield threat, but we didn't necessarily need a guy that can catch the bombs. We already have one. We needed a guy that could get open on short and intermediate routes. One other thing I've heard about Hankerson is that he's got no fear going across the middle, so that's great. I think this guy, with us not being able to get Jones or Green, was the best fit. I wonder what number he'll wear...? He'd look good in an 85, I think. And it'd get the bad taste out of our mouth from the last guy that wore it. :P

• 6 months later...

Did pretty well for his first start of the season, seemed to consistently get open. It also looks like he has cured his case of the dropsies. I was nervous about that first one that he batted, but he recovered and caught it. He'll be the big receiver we've needed for a while. Welcome Hank to the Redskins.

Did pretty well for his first start of the season, seemed to consistently get open. It also looks like he has cured his case of the dropsies. I was nervous about that first one that he batted, but he recovered and caught it. He'll be the big receiver we've needed for a while. Welcome Hank to the Redskins.

I would love for him to come on and be a bright spot for the second half of the season. It could do wonders for deciding needs in the offseason. It's good to see him get a chance, here's hoping he's able to take advantage of it.

Great game from Hank. Got open quite a bit.

Interesting stat about the game. Two of Hankerson's four catches made first downs. And he had the two point conversion on a rather veteran move.

Not saying he is the answer, but he could be a good possession number 2 receiver that moves the chains.

Archived