Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

I know Carolina dont have great options but they are making a mistake if the start him IMO. Start Clausen maybe he does OK and you can trade him at the end of the year for something - meanwhile your QB coach should be spending every waking second getting Cam to undertand his progressions and work through them and hit him with a big stick every time he throws off his back foot.

If they do play him this year he could learn under fire but it significantly raises the odds of him busting IMO.

I know Carolina dont have great options but they are making a mistake if the start him IMO. .
They're taking a huge risk starting Newton, without a doubt.

At first I thought their plan would be to start Anderson until Newton was ready.

But, I trust coach Chudzinski, I think that guys really knows offense and he must think Cam is ready enough to start.

He's very raw but he's already displayed the arm talent to make the benchmark 'litmus' test throws that you can build and NFL offense around.

The more I watch the more Cam remind me of Flacco and I see him fitting in a Coryell offense the same way as rookie.

Run the ball and give him easy reads with play action passing.

Plus Cam brings his ability to make plays and keep the drive alive with his legs.

Start Clausen maybe he does OK and you can trade him at the end of the year for something-
For the life of me I don't understand why they kept Clausen and spent a lot of valueable preseason reps developing him side by side with Newton.

I think it would be better for both parties Clausen and the Panthers if they parted ways.

If they were gonna keep a QB it made far more sense to keep Matt Moore.

(Methinks Marty Hurney was behind the decision to keep Clausen)

meanwhile your QB coach should be spending every waking second getting Cam to undertand his progressions and work through them and hit him with a big stick every time he throws off his back foot
I'm not really worried about the progressions that will come with time.

Cam has a bad case of bigarmittis.

Like many strong armed QBs before him Cam's throws off his backfoot too much.

And what's worse is that his accuracy drops bigtime when he does it.

Culter used to throw off his back foot a lot too but he managed to keep more of his accuracy then Cam.

If they do play him this year he could learn under fire but it significantly raises the odds of him busting IMO.
I don't think Cam will 'bust' I think he's too mentally tough for that.

I more concerned about how the Panther's will respond if Cam struggles this season.

With Clausen still hanging around will they stick by their guy or fold when hard times hit?

For Cam's sake hopefully that's a question the Panther's won't have to answer.

Did anyone else catch the game against the Steelers? He only played one series, but he looked better than I've seen him so far in the preseason. He only threw 5 passes, completing 3, but his most impressive pass was one of the incompletions. He was moving in the pocket, and as a defender was bringing him down, he drills a deep out right into Shockey's chest along the sideline. The defender blatantly interfered, but no PI was called, and the pass was incomplete. I was still impressed with his arm strength and accuracy with a defender on him like that, though.

He also had a pass across the middle that he drilled into tight coverage. I know it's not much, but there were some signs that he could be a good QB in the NFL with more work. The accuracy, arm strength, and athleticism was all there. I was just wondering if anybody else saw what I saw.

Did anyone else catch the game against the Steelers? He only played one series, but he looked better than I've seen him so far in the preseason...........I know it's not much, but there were some signs that he could be a good QB in the NFL with more work. The accuracy, arm strength, and athleticism was all there. I was just wondering if anybody else saw what I saw.
Even before this game Cam had displayed the full array of "NFL" throws on time and in rhythm during preseason: skinny post, deep comeback, corner route, vertical seam, go route.

Those throws are enough to build an offense around and Cam is automatic on the 'gimme throws' hitches, drags screens etc.

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc5twmwaAzs&feature=player_embedded

Did anyone else catch the game against the Steelers? He only played one series, but he looked better than I've seen him so far in the preseason. He only threw 5 passes, completing 3, but his most impressive pass was one of the incompletions. He was moving in the pocket, and as a defender was bringing him down, he drills a deep out right into Shockey's chest along the sideline. The defender blatantly interfered, but no PI was called, and the pass was incomplete. I was still impressed with his arm strength and accuracy with a defender on him like that, though.

He also had a pass across the middle that he drilled into tight coverage. I know it's not much, but there were some signs that he could be a good QB in the NFL with more work. The accuracy, arm strength, and athleticism was all there. I was just wondering if anybody else saw what I saw.

Dude he's completed like 40% of his passes thus far. 5 passes is nothing to base anything on. He's been terrible so far. Practices, games, everything.

Its gonna be a LONG season for the Panthers.

Cam Newton sets NFL rookie passing record

Cam Newton's been the most scrutinized rookie quarterback since ... well, since Tim Tebow. But that's beside the point, since the point was most folks either love or hate Newton and no one really knew what to expect out of his NFL debut, an eventual 28-21 loss in Arizona.

Turns out, all we got was the single-biggest passing yard performance by a rookie in his debut in NFL history as Newton slung the ball around to the tune of 422 yards and two passing touchdowns on an impressive 24 of 37.

Newton surpassed Peyton Manning's previous first-game record of 302 yards, a pretty remarkable coincidence given where Manning's career currently stands.

Additionally, the 422 yards ties a rookie record for most passing yards in a single game, as Newton equaled Matthew Stafford -- hey, he had a nice day too! -- and his total from Week 10 of 2009 against the Browns.

And Cam didn't pile up junk yardage, either -- the Panthers were absolutely competitive for most of the game against the Cardinals and Newton was calm and poised most of the time, save for his lone interception.

He also picked up a rushing touchdown on a designed option-type draw near the goal line, and ended up with 18 rushing yards on eight attempts. And it probably warrants mentioning that Newton ripped off a sick air guitar celebration with the ball following his rushing touchdown, which netted him a 15-yard penalty.

Clearly things could have gone better for the Panthers, and clearly Newton won't throw for 400 yards every single game. (That wouldn't be a good thing, anyway.) But there's at least hope for Panthers fans one game into the 2011 season considering it appears as if they've finally found a franchise quarterback.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/31912082

Actually someone on ESPN pointing out is the best debut by any QB rookie or not in the NFL ever.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 03:12 PM ----------

Hey Bubble screen set your DVR to watch Cam's first outing as a bust: 9:30 PM NFL REPLAY: CAR vs. ARI

Carolina Panthers vs. Arizona Cardinals (09/11/11) - Kevin Kolb carries his new team to victory as the Cardinals defeat the upstart Panthers, 28-21. Kolb's 309 yards and two touchdowns are enough to edge out Cam Newtown in his NFL debut. Newton tosses two touchdowns on 422 yards passing, becoming the first rookie to pass for more than 400 yards in his first start.

One game and everyone is making him out to be the next Warren Moon. You can't make this stuff up.

Let's see how the guy does in Week 2, defending champs, at his own crib. I'm sure Capers has a few tricks up his sleeve for Mr. Newton.

LoL.

No one is making Cam to be anything in this thread.

The previous post states facts.

Actually the only person to make a prediction one way or another about Cam in this thread is you.

And you made your claim based on a few quarters of preseason action no less.

I knew someone as clearly biased against Cam as you would always be faint with praise and quick with blame. But, I thought you would at least be able to say something remotely good about Cam's debut game.

---------- Post added September-14th-2011 at 06:06 PM ----------

Yeah i was impressed until I saw the game. He did make some plays but a lot of the time the coverage looked like a college game it was so bad. I wonder if we will see the same thing from them this weekend.
Wait, you watched the replay and came away less impressed?.....Okay.

Cam is saying and doing all the right things already, he's going to be something really special to watch this week. I hope a lot of the members of this board that gave him an unnecessary amount of criticism are starting to see what many of us saw coming into the draft.

I would agree. The only red flag I had on Newton was his father. Which doesn't seem to affect him in the least. I think I bought into the media hype on that issue. But he's always had the intangibles. He's struggling with some reads, but I think we all knew that would be the case. He's without a doubt been a solid player for Carolina.

He's looking like a good QB, but I'm still weary of him because he's an athletic type, which I believe causes inflated numbers early in a career, and because it seems defenses are having problems from the lockout. He'll have a good season, but I'm more interested to see what he does in years two and three.

He's looking like a good QB, but I'm still weary of him because he's an athletic type, which I believe causes inflated numbers early in a career, and because it seems defenses are having problems from the lockout. He'll have a good season, but I'm more interested to see what he does in years two and three.
Aaron Rodgers is also an 'athletic type' were his numbers inflated early in his career?

If Cam's stats should be devalued because of the lockout then shouldn't every QBs? Therefore if every QB are playing under the same circumstances and none (except for Brady) have throw for over 400 yards in their 1st 2 games then shouldn't Cam's production still be viewed on their own merit without 'lockout inflation'?

I had some real doubts about Newton, though after reading about HOW he took over Auburn's team (before playing a game) I felt like he could at least 'win' the team even if he struggled at first. I am shocked at his effectiveness, though I do worry that he'll hit a wall. He has a long ways to go to become a 'surgeon' on the field, I would guess but Cam Newton is kind of like a Big Ben--which is not a bad thing to be. If you can hurl the ball around, make mostly good decisions and are big and athletic enough to extend a play, you don't HAVE to be quite the student of the game as a Manning or Brady (who are compensating for somewhat limited physical abilities.)

One of the BIGGEST things I admire is that he actually takes blame (even if it's not really on him) and is hard on himself. Football/team-wise he is showing me a HELL of a lot of character (I think I've begun separating the two out..one could argue MJ was not the best person in the world but he had tremendous competitive character) and that's really all I can ask for as a fan. I'm looking for an anti-Vick/Roethlistberger type in terms of character.

Aaron Rodgers is also an 'athletic type' were his numbers inflated early in his career?

If Cam's stats should be devalued because of the lockout then shouldn't every QBs? Therefore if every QB are playing under the same circumstances and none (except for Brady) have throw for over 400 yards in their 1st 2 games then shouldn't Cam's production still be viewed on their own merit without 'lockout inflation'?

All I'm saying is I'll take the wait and see approach. I in no way said he's gonna be a bust, but its too soon to tell how good he actually is.

All I'm saying is I'll take the wait and see approach. I in no way said he's gonna be a bust, but its too soon to tell how good he actually is.
I'm just curious about why you think 'athletic' QBs stats are inflated early in their careers? I honestly don't understand and am curious to understand where you're coming from.

It just seemed like you arbritrarily trying to devalue Cam's huge(record setting) debut passing totals.

I agree with the wait and see approach.

But, why is hard to state/acknowledge the obvious?

Cam's first 2 games have been beyond most of the expectations by far?

I'm just curious about why you think 'athletic' QBs stats are inflated early in their careers? I honestly don't understand and am curious to understand where you're coming from.

Michael Vick. His first season as a starter he put up some electric numbers not because he was a great QB, but because he had teams running around confused trying to figure out how to stop his double-threat. Then look at Troy Smith who had two solid starts last year when thrown into the fire. Joe Webb looked decent when thrown in there initially. Tim Tebow had some decent play last year, too.

It just seemed like you arbritrarily trying to devalue Cam's huge(record setting) debut passing totals.

Not at all. As a matter of fact, I've been impressed with what he's done. He's certainly had a better performance in his first couple starts than those other QBs I mentioned, which makes me believe that Carolina has a franchise QB in him, but I'm not convinced he's necessarily a future elite (not saying he won't be, either).

I agree with the wait and see approach.

But, why is hard to state/acknowledge the obvious?

Cam's first 2 games have been beyond most of the expectations by far?

Definitely exceeded my expectations and certainly did bump my opinion of him up quite a bit.

Michael Vick. His first season as a starter he put up some electric numbers not because he was a great QB, but because he had teams running around confused trying to figure out how to stop his double-threat. Then look at Troy Smith who had two solid starts last year when thrown into the fire. Joe Webb looked decent when thrown in there initially. Tim Tebow had some decent play last year, too.
I still don't see how their athleticism inflates their stats nor how this applies to Cam who has been doing his damamge through the air.

None of the QBs you've mentioned put up big passing totals and the implication you're making is that somehow their athleticism is a limiting factor in their play.

Joe Webb and carried over his play from last year into the preseason where Webb has outplayed Ponder.

Tebow despite the negative perception around him played well to finish the season and played well during preseason.

Well he looks 100x better than I'd have expected him to after 2 games thats for sure. Bad OL, only 1 real NFL receiver on the team who is probably getting keyed on as well. Also his RB's ran 11 times for 18 yards so the whole offense was on him against the Super Bowl Champs.

3 Int's but that is to be expected from a rookie anyway. If he'd had 100 yards from his RB's I'd guess that he doesn't throw most of those. The big thing to me is that he's been throwing the ball 4-5 times more than he's taken off and ran. I figured he'd give up on his 1st receiver and take off 20 times a game so thats really good too.

Looking beyond the ridiculous numbers he's put up his first two weeks in the NFL, the guy throws a beautiful ball. He's got more velocity on his passes than most guys in the league. Easily a top-5 arm in the league. Wow.

Cutups of Newton from both games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2X-12hoOMQ&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSjwIR3Sgfs&feature=youtu.be

Looking beyond the ridiculous numbers he's put up his first two weeks in the NFL, the guy throws a beautiful ball. He's got more velocity on his passes than most guys in the league. Easily a top-5 arm in the league. Wow.

Cutups of Newton from both games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2X-12hoOMQ&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSjwIR3Sgfs&feature=youtu.be

Wow. Thought I'd see some lucky long YAC or something, but nope... All those yards were earned.

If he learns to read pro defenses, he's going to be the next Steve Young.

Archived