Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

[/color]WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!! Mute the music, the music in the above vid.

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

i mean ... i've seen the replys on espn and nfl network, but this is too much. i can't believe how freaking electrifying this kid has been. holy. i'll be going back under my rock now.

good god ... :excited:

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 09:36 PM ----------

That throw at 3:10 is ****ing absurd. Basically threw it 60 yards jumping backwards.

he's a freaking witch ... that throw was unreal. i mean, the ball was still sailing ... it was still going hard when it was caught.

• 3 weeks later...

Cam has done better than expected; however it's still very early. Let's not overhype him. He is still losing in Carolina with a great supporting cast. America has the attention span of a gnat.

God, the Cam hype is getting worse than the Luck hype.

http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Cam-Newton-Postgame/4e6aee49-2e65-4937-bae8-47fe26f2e98b

He's played well through 8 games, much better than anyone could have possibly imagined. But this video says it all.

He is a LEADER . He is a MAN.

Maybe it's his PR coach putting words into his mouth, but he is saying exactly the right things. I am very impressed with Cam Newton on and off the field.

Cam has done better than expected; however it's still very early. Let's not overhype him. He is still losing in Carolina with a great supporting cast. America has the attention span of a gnat.

God, the Cam hype is getting worse than the Luck hype.

"HE" is still losing as if Cam is the entire team. Of Carolina's 6 losses, 5 of those have been by a touchdown or less. Cam is reason the games have even been this close.

Cam has almost has many yards rushing as both the leading running backs and he has a greater YPC than either one of them. He's already tied Young's rushing TD record with half a season to go. He's on pace to easily break Manning's passing record. In eight games, Newton has more yards than either Elway or Marino had all season with 2393, has 11 passing TDs (a rookie record),

Their great supporting cast cost them the Viking's game. Smith with a holding call after Cam made a first down at the Viking's 5 yd. line and Mare with a missed field goal that would have tied the game.

And I hope you're not including the Panthers' defense which is ranked 29th in your great supporting cast.

The Cam hype is justified. The Luck hype is pure speculation.

Their great supporting cast cost them the Viking's game. Smith with a holding call after Cam made a first down at the Viking's 5 yd. line and Mare with a missed field goal that would have tied the game.

Beans post is so silly I figured he must be a troll.

BTW-That was a tuurrible call on Smith.

If you want I have a youtube cut-up of the Vikings game that I can post.

Cam was gripping it and ripping last sunday.

BTW-That was a tuurrible call on Smith.

If you want I have a youtube cut-up of the Vikings game that I can post.

Cam was gripping it and ripping last sunday.

It was a tacky call. The defender was half the field away from Cam and no chance of making the tackle anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld7oILwd6Cc&feature=player_embedded

@3:30 sick downfield backshoulder throw

@15:20 4th and 14 gotta have it-delivers a strike

@16:22 I know it was incomplete and kinda risky throw, but sacred money don't make none.
I love the thought process and ball placement.
That's a confident man making an accurate that throw into tight coverage and he puts it the only place possible over the LB and right where Olsen has a chance to make a play on it. If #39 Abudullah doesn't make a good play that's a TD.
Big time throw.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2011 at 11:14 PM ----------

As always please, don't share the link.

"HE" is still losing as if Cam is the entire team. Of Carolina's 6 losses, 5 of those have been by a touchdown or less. Cam is reason the games have even been this close.

Cam has almost has many yards rushing as both the leading running backs and he has a greater YPC than either one of them. He's already tied Young's rushing TD record with half a season to go. He's on pace to easily break Manning's passing record. In eight games, Newton has more yards than either Elway or Marino had all season with 2393, has 11 passing TDs (a rookie record),

And I hope you're not including the Panthers' defense which is ranked 29th in your great supporting cast.

comparing passing stats of quarterbacks of decades past is just stupid (but par for the course). On the offensive side of the ball, the Panthera might be second in the league talent wise. They have two backs that would start on 25 other teams. Best center in the game. Rest of the o-line is awesome. Smith and Olsen are awesome. The fact that every single starter on the Panthers would start on the Redskins says something --whether the Redskins are just that bad, or the Panthers are just that awesome.

Can you really blame the close losses solely on the defense? Newty has turned the ball over every game except against the Skins.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2011 at 09:23 AM ----------

Your passion and obsession for another man is a little out there.

comparing passing stats of quarterbacks of decades past is just stupid (but par for the course). On the offensive side of the ball, the Panthera might be second in the league talent wise. They have two backs that would start on 25 other teams. Best center in the game. Rest of the o-line is awesome. Smith and Olsen are awesome. The fact that every single starter on the Panthers would start on the Redskins says something --whether the Redskins are just that bad, or the Panthers are just that awesome.

Can you really blame the close losses solely on the defense? Newty has turned the ball over every game except against the Skins.

I guess these people are stupid because this is where I got the comparison:

http://www.footballnation.com/content/newton-will-have-better-career-than-luck/10463/

I didn't say the defense was solely responsible..

Their two backs have not contributed as much as you seem to think. Williams had 2 good games out of 8. So far as Smith and Olsen, who has been throwing them the ball? Newton has rejuvinated Steve Smith's career. I agree the o-line is doing a good job.

Williams

1. 30 yd.

2. 13 yd.

3. 18 yd.

4. 82 yd.

5.115 yd.

6. 44 yd

7. 35 yd.

8. 28 yd.

Stewart

1. 26 yd.

2. 5 yd.

3. 59 yd

4. 52 yd.

5. 20 yd.

6. 48 yd.

7 68 yd.

8. 49 yd.

Maybe it's his PR coach putting words into his mouth, but he is saying exactly the right things. I am very impressed with Cam Newton on and off the field.

Cam's quite a competitor. Its evident that he's disgusted by the losses. You can see he takes all of this personally, while mindful of his role as the team leader. I wondered if he was going to say "defense" in that one answer before he caught himself.

Its crazy how good he is.

Without Newton.. the Panthers would look 20 times worse than the Colts have looked this season.

Their defense can't hold a lead to save their lives. Against the Bears, Saints, Packers and Cardinals (all losses), Newton marched the offense down the field in the final 3 minutes (final 2 minutes for Saints/Cardinals game), to get his team the lead. Only to sit on the sideline and watch as his horrible defense give up big play after big play, as the opposing offenses march down for a score of their own. He's not Brees or Rodgers, he shouldn't be expected to score 2 or 3 times in the final 3 minutes (on top of the 2 to 3 scores he averages during each game) of almost every game, just to make up for his teams crappy defense.

Cam Newton is the best rookie QB this league has ever seen. I can't wait to see what he does in his career. I won't miss a snap of it.

Agreed. The Carolina coaching staff deserves some credit as well, tailoring their offense around him, and giving him more and more freedom week by week, instead of throwing everything at him from the get-go. He had pretty much no offseason either, which is even more admirable. I was wrong about him, and he has my respect for the way that he has handled everything, and gone out and busted his ass to get where he's at right now. I wish him nothing but the best.

---------- Post added November-3rd-2011 at 09:23 AM ----------

Your passion and obsession for another man is a little out there.

What's out there (for the fifth time, involving three different moderators) is you, Beans. Take a week off for the last gratuitous trolling line about "another man" and your general (and too typical) tone and figure it will be your last allowed foul. :)

The Shutdown Corner Halfway Point Roundtable, Part 1

Cam Newton's(notes) been the best surprise. When's the last time a rookie quarterback stepped in and immediately made the entire league a better place? Watching Carolina last year was like watching a Lifetime movie about a gifted quilter and her battle with dementia. This year, watching Carolina never seems like a bad option. If you've got Cam on your TV, you've got a show.

On that same subject, I feel like I was lied to about Cam Newton. There were so many people pushing the idea that the Auburn offense was too simple, that he couldn't read a defense, that he'd struggle with the speed of the NFL game -- in short, that he was dumb. And I bought into it. I was suckered. I should've known better.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Shutdown-Corner-Halfway-Point-Roundtable-Pa?urn=nfl-wp11277

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The best (and one of the few) true media mea culpa on Cam Newton:

Carolina Panthers: Dear Cam Newton, On behalf of doubters everywhere, we would like to apologize. We thought you were just another spread-option scrambler destined to suffer through a rough rookie year on a last-place team. We assumed we would see a handful of exciting runs, a bomb or two to Steve Smith, and lots of bad reads and scared-squirrel behavior in the pocket. We misjudged you. Badly. We hope you understand why we made the mistakes we made, wrote the things we wrote and projected the numbers we projected. It had nothing to do with race. Well, maybe not quite nothing, because it is impossible to eliminate race from any discussion of a black quarterback. But it had little to do with race. It was about your limited experience, only one year as a starter at the Division I level. It was about the hinky, customized Auburn offense, with all of its option runs and tunnel screens that were essentially handoffs. It was about your evasive interview and press conference style: You sounded scripted and unprepared, mentally and emotionally, for life as an NFL starter. It was the high expectations and the short training camp. We are skeptics, by nature and profession, and we were forced to conclude that you were not ready to perform well, based on all available evidence. We were not just wrong, but totally wrong. You did not just play well. You accomplished the unprecedented. The 2011 Panthers achieved the largest single-season offensive DVOA improvement in history, by a wide margin.

http://deadspin.com/5936266/32-paragraphs-about-32-nfl-teams-from-the-football-outsiders-almanac-2012

Wow thats a heck of a throw right there, Thanks for that post.
Yep, it takes some stones to make that throw.

Imo those throws only happen when: arm talent specifically velocity+accuracy meet with knowledge of the system + chemistry + trust (in the play+in your receiver+in your arm)

I feel like Griff has the arm talent and chutzpah to make throws like that the rest is up to the coaching.

Archived