Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

The 2011 Redskins might be in the market to acquire a QB in the upcoming draft and there are several good prospects.

The aim of this series of threads is to conduct a layman's evaluation and discussion of the QBs by look past the stats and the often parroted rhetoric available through media and draft sites.

The goal is to look in depth and discuss the top prospects in
action

The springboard for the discussion will be the commonly available game cut-ups (not highlights) on youtube and may extend to torrents (if there's interest).

All are welcome with the expectation that
specific plays
will be discussed whenever possible.

5284491422_d1094fbff3_t.jpg

The
FIRST
game we'll look at for Cam Newton is the
SEC Championship Game v South Carolina
available here:

**We couldn't fine a true game cut-up the above clip has all of Newton's completion instead of all Newton's passes.

MartinC
:

Cam Newton break down

Auburn v South Carolina (SEC Championship game)

Pass 1.) 2nd and 8 own 24. The first thing you notice is the guys size – he looks like a man among boys – and how well he moves for a guy that size. He is very fluid and athletic. Takes shotgun snap fakes quick out with a fake end around as well. Drops one step after fake out shows nice bounce and steps into throw well with good base – throws deep on post route. Great arm – ball is thrown from own 17 and caught by receiver in stride at the opposing 28, that’s almost 60 yards in the air with not much effort.

Pass 2.) 2nd and 8 from SC 12. Shotgun. Takes snap and takes 3 step drop, first read is covered, comes off and looks middle and then left. Keeps feet moving and them moves to his right finding receiver who has broken coverage underneath for TD. Showed good patience, and kept the play alive. Reminded me a lot of Big Ben on that play. Showed nice mechanics as well, holds the ball high and has compact throwing motion. However he does not get great shoulder rotation when throwing so far which might show up on intermediate throws.

Pass 3.) 1st and 10 own 29. Shotgun again. Gets early pressure which he shakes off, he is not a QB you can bring down with an arm tackle, dances in the pocket and then throws shovel pass to back who picks up first down. Showed he can ad lib and make something positive when things break down. Another Big Ben look a like play.

Pass 4.) 2nd and 9 own 39. Shotgun. Takes 3 step drop out of the gun. Nice base and weight transfer, better shoulder rotation this time and throws out to

pick up first down. Shows NFL arm and sound mechanics.

Pass 5.) 3rd and 10 from the SC 30. Shotgun. Again gets quick pressure, shows good mobility and keeps his eyes downfield well when moving. Throws while moving to his right and hits receiver by sideline for 1st down. He really reminds me of Big Ben and his ability to extend plays.

Pass 6.) 1st and own 10 own 29. Shotgun. Fakes end around to left and then does half roll to his right. Hits receiver on crossing route from left to right. Does not square shoulders when he throws but shows nice arm again and is accurate with delivery.

Pass 7.) 3rd and 6 from own 46. Pumps and then hits receiver behind coverage wide open for TD. Nice pump fake and accurate throw to a guy who was wide, wide open.

Pass 8.) 3rd and 8 own 19. 3 step drop off ‘gun snap. Hits receiver running come back. Tight coverage but throws his receiver open showing off arm again. I have noticed on a couple of these recent throws he does not always transfer his weight and step into throws, he keeps his weight over his back foot and uses his arm strength.

Pass 9.) 1st and 10 own 34. Quick out to back. Gets ball out of hand quickly on pre snap read.

Pass 10.) 1st and 10 from SC 42. Takes snap from under centre (first time I have seen him under centre). Bit of play fake to back but pretty half hearted and fools no one. Gets quick pressure in his face, again shows he can shake off the first rusher and steps up floating touch pass to TE who releases after blocking. Ad lib play again and once more reminded me of Big Ben.

Pass 11.) 2nd and 12 SC 30. Half roll to his right of a fake to the back. First read is covered – lots of time though so looks deeper and hits receiver on stick throw on the numbers. He certainly has an NFL arm and he showed it there.

Pass 12.) 2nd and 11 SC 9. Quick out to his left. Nice wrist snap and the throw is accurate allowing the receiver to catch in stride and pick up a few yards after the catch.

Pass 13.) 1st and 10 own 41. Quick out to his right. Again weight is over back foot when he throws but arm strength gets the ball there quickly and in a good position for the catch.

Pass 14.) 2nd and 2 own 47. Half roll to his right. Throws deep off his back foot. This is a TD but a horrible decision – it looked like a Hail Mary with a couple of receivers and about 4 DBs all waiting in the end zone. He got very lucky that his guy went up and made a play.

Pass 15.) 1st and 10 own 26. Quick out trying to set up bubble screen.

Pass 16.) 2nd and 9 own 27. 3 step drop out of shotgun – quick throw to his right hitting slot receiver breaking out on option route for nice gain. Nice base and some weight transfer – mechanics look sound generally.

Pass 17.) 2nd and 10 SC 42. Looks over middle then come over to second read and hits receiver running a go route down the sideline. Receiver actually was slot guy who ran out and up and was again wide open. Nice touch and accuracy on the deep throw to hit his guy in stride down the sideline for big gain.

Pass 18.) 3rd and goal from SC 7. Fade to his right. Nice touch but poor play by the DB who has the slot guy man on man. Slot receiver runs a circle route and the DB takes a bad angle letting him get behind him for the TD.

Mechanics

Generally very sound. Decent footwork although his feet looked a little slow on the 3 step drops out of shotgun. Holds the ball high and keeps everything over the shoulder when delivering which is good. Normally gets a good base and weight transfer though he does have a habit of keeping his weight over his back foot – does not always get his shoulders to rotate towards the target. But overall looked sound.

Arm Strength

The guy has a very good NFL arm. He can make all the throws.

Decision Making

Bearing in mind this was a cut up of his completions and showed no incomplete passes or interceptions its hard to comment here. However he was only asked to make simple reads – either pre snap and get the ball out of his hand quickly or half field deep and short. When he had to ad lib he showed good composure and made good decisions.

Athletic Ability

Excellent. Moves really well for a big guy and looked very fluid. Deceptive speed and can run over DBs. Looks like a running back when he take off – which he should given he ran the ball so much last year (240 odd rushing attempts versus 280 odd pass attempts).

Overall

I had not seen much of Newton apart from highlight reels. I don’t think I have still seen that much as there were only 18 pass attempts on this tape – all completions – versus 40 odd attempts when we broke down the Gabbert tape to look at. I would like to see a tape with a full game so I can see some of his incompletions and picks to get a more balanced view.

That said I was impressed by Newtons throwing motion, arm strength and accuracy. Add in his ability to extend a play using his size to shrug off rushers then move and keep his eyes down field and you have a QB who can make big plays in the NFL in the way a Big Ben does. He reminded me very much at times of Big Ben on this tape although he runs much better than Ben in the open field.

The issue for me is that he is very raw. He is not asked to read coverage much, the throws he is making are generally off some fake against defenses staked to stop him running and to wide open receivers. He has worked out of shotgun but then so has Gabbert. He made hardly any stick throws on this tape – it was all deep or short.

I think he has great potential and athletic ability, his ceiling may be the highest of any QB in this draft. However he is so raw and untested in terms of his ability to read coverages and beat you with his arm not his legs that his floor is also maybe the lowest. He could be the next Big Ben or he could be out of the NFL in 3 years – I don’t see any middle ground with him.

If we were picking towards the bottom of the 1st round and he was there I think he would be worth the risk – but picking 10 on a team which cannot afford another QB bust I would pass. I think he will go high in the 1st but I hope its not to us.

The FIRST game we'll look at for Cam Newton is the SEC Championship Game v South Carolina available here:

http://whosright.com/poll/heisman-hopeful-cameron-newton-season-highlights2

**We couldn't fine a true game cut-up the above clip has all of Newton's completion instead of all Newton's passes.

Part I

Passing Chart:

KEY:

OT: (+/-)on time/in rhythm

TAR- (+/-) on target catchable ball (above the waist not above the shoulders within arm's length)

IS- (+/-) in stride

**Good plays/NFL ability in Bolded in Orange

Sienna color negative plays

1) Shotgun Play Action then Pump Fake WR screen left-(plenty of time in a clean pocket) then hits the right side WR on a deep Slant-Seam route. OT+ TAR+ IS+ from Auburn's 15 yd line to USC's 25 yard a 40+ yard through w/ ease good footwork nice release

2) Shotgun-has all day stays in the pocket reads through his progressions shuffles left keeps his eyes down field and throws on the run goofy footed/fading back arm throw but OT+ TAR+ IS n/a

3) Shotgun escapes sack starts to scramble up the middle with his eyes downfield spots the RB and makes a nifty shovel pass flick to the RB:50s

4) Shotgun 2 step drop clean footwork throws in rhythm sideline hitch left OT+ TAR+ IS+ quick release ball got there in a hurry

5) Shotgun takes off jukes the hell out of the spy gains 14+ yards gets down to avoid hit-great run

6) Shotgun PA-evades sack scrambles right keeps eyes upfield hits 10 sideline pass OT+ TAR+ IS n/a throws on the run goofy foot again (off his right leg) but makes an accurate

7) Shotgun PA zone read QB draw powers through 2 tackles for the TD

8) Shotgun PA half roll out- pressure in the face- makes nice touch pass on TE drag left to right OT+ TAR+ IS+ 2:24s

9) Shotgun Pump n Go right sideline vs all out blitz picked up beautifully- delivers OT+ TAR+ IS+

to wide open Darvin Adams TD!

...from Auburn 35 to their 30 about a 40 yard throw on a line w/ late pressure closing in 2:37s

**10) Shotgun drop backs hits left WR on a 12 yd comeback OT+ TAR+ IS+ ball got there in a hurry

11) Shotgun PA swing pass OT+ TAR+ IS+

12-13) 2 designed QB runs= 1st down

14) Under Center PA evades sacks by juking DL in the backfield keeps eyes upfield hits RB on swing/flat right OT+ TAR+ IS+

15) Shotgun-dash right no pressure keeps eyes downfield, pressure comes throws a shuffle/scramble throws goofy foot fading away arm pass OT+ OT- IS- 3:13s

16) Shotgun PA sideline WR hitch left OT+ TAR+ IS

17) Shotgun PA sideline WR hitch right OT+ TAR+ IS+

18) Shotgun dash right from their 45 to the 3 yards deep in the endzone steps into uncorks it looks like he had plenty of arm left (50+ yard throw) TD

19) Pistol WR screen L

20) Pistol slot comeback OT+ TAR+ IS+

21) Shotgun PA feels and avoids pressure scrambles effortlessly to his left for a 20 yard gain (this run was Randall Cunninghamesque)

**22) (Plenty of time/clean pocket) Shotgun straight drop back-maintains good helmet discipline down the center of the field until the last second when he looks/pivots left and hits a WR that beat the CB on and out and up and Cam beat the Safety w/ the good eye discipline and throw (from the 50 to the 10 40 yd throw w/ ease) OT+ TAR+ IS+ 4:22s

23) Shotgun zone read QB dive trucks the LB for a TD

24) Shotgun zone read keeper runs left full speed jump-cut to pick up the 1st down nice play -gifted open field runner 5:38

25) Shotgun Pump & Go (clean pocket) slot wheel route right steps up throws OT+ TAR+ IS+

For this game:

Instincts+Intuition- 4 made plays no mistakes fumbles/ints

Competitiveness -4

Arm Strength -5 (self evident)

Complete Inventory of passes -5

Quick Delivery -4

Touch- 3 (judging from stats here b/c the incompletions weren't shown but 17/28 w/ 60.7% likely includes some mistakes/missed a few throws)

Read defense -3 (offense didn't require much reading of coverages but executed the offense and made his progressions made good decisions)

Mobility+Avoidance -5

Function while injured - N/A

Not easily rattled-4

Spontaneous decision/play making -5

My questions/nit-picks on Cam:

o sometimes throws arm passes without stepping into the throw

o he'll have to get used to seeing the field and making his progressions from undercenter

o after playing behind an OL that kept him well protected we'll have to see how he handles things when his process is sped up and he's getting hit

These throws stood out to me: On your chart passes: 1,2,4,6,8,17,25-(mine1,2,4,8,10,22,25)

I think its evident from these that Newton has an above average arm and solid mechanics/compact motion/quick release.

But passes 2,17 and 18 really show his NFL potential he hangs in the pocket goes through his progressions and really makes some nice throws; on pass 17 he holds the Safety in the middle of the field with his eyes.

He does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield and his playmaking is evident.

But for the most part he's very well protected this game.

I want to see a game where a team gets pressure on him.

He sometimes throws off balance off his back foot or goofy footed (Rodgers often throws goofy foot when he scrambles) but he's got enough arm where its not a problem.

Like many spread QBs he's gonna have to get comfortable with operating under center.

Newton is a talent.

He has all the physical tools: big time arm, great mobility, solid mechanics, nice compact throwing motion w/ quick release.

A lot of his offense doesn't translate directly into the NFL but some of it does and a QB w/ his tools in the hands of the right QB mentor in the right situation has great upside.

I wouldn't mind that place being here in DC but looking at the QBs from Kyle Shanahan's vantage point I have a hard time reconciling Kyle Shanahan's statements on Tebow last year:

"If you draft him thinking you're going to correct (the flaws), then you're wrong," said Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, a former Bucs assistant. "I think it's going to be just as much up to him as the team that takes him. … If he's better at one thing than another, then you better figure out how to work that into your offense......."If you draft him and think you're going to do what you've been doing all along, you're probably going to be getting him ready for the next coach who's going to replace you."
w/ him wanting to draft a player like Cam. (If he's even available I doubt it, my money has Newton going to Chan Gailey and the Bills)

I love the Big Ben comparision i've made it quite a bit in the draft thread. His ability to buy extra time in the pocket by sliding just a bit or break a tackle is very composed and will lead to extending alot of plays at the NFL level. I love his presence in the pocket.

Awesome breakdown DG and Martin. This rematch game was a good choice. What I like about this one is the way he manages the pressure of their front seven and has little trouble throwing against a very talented secondary (Gilmore is supposed to be a top ten corner next year I believe, and the safeties are highly rated).

If you watch some of their complete games on espn3.com or secdigitalnetwork.com, Auburn's offense is a lot of fun to watch. The running is mostly misdirection, making the defense worry most about their edges with McCalebb getting outside as fast as he does. That's the most important thing to establish for Malzahn and why he runs it so often, because once the defense is defending horizontally, he can work the rest of it more effectively. The two counters off the fly sweep are the quick hitters inside to their bigger backs Fannin and Dyer, and the Newton draws and leads.

The passing compliment to these runs are heavy with play action. For McCalebb, it involves a quick fake inside and then a bullet to the flat or a lob to a wheel route. The counter for the QB runs is most often an action step/faked inside run to get the linebackers looking at him and the rush to hesitate, followed by throws up the seam to their slot receiver (Blake) or their tight end Lekinkercher (this was the most devastating of their play combinations).

In obvious passing situations its pretty conventional with Newton in the shotgun and four receivers. For these occasions, he mostly looked for Darvin Adams (their flanker), or Kodi Burns/Terrell Zachary (their second and fourth receivers). Its these situations you look at most critically, and the one that will surprise you the most with just how good he is. Versus Ole Miss he makes a 10 yd back shoulder throw to Adams that absolutely can't be thrown any better. Also in that one there are two throws where he looks off his first options and extends the play, anticipates Adams crossing, and throws it between two zone defenders on a line.

What impresses me the most about Newton is his depth judgment. Over the course of the season, he rarely misses his deep throws long and he's never short with it. One big reason for this is that he doesn't have to put a lot of air under the ball downfield. He has a huge arm and throws bullets (the kind that seem to speed up for the whole trajectory of the pass). Against Georgia he threw a laser to Blake that was video game-like.

His weakness is definitely recognizing coverages. The Clemson safeties were all over him staring down his primary receiver in what was his worst passing performance. Against Ole Miss he didn't anticipate a linebacker undercutting a route that should have been an interception. In the BCS championship game, we saw him throw into double coverage twice where he didn't expect safety help to be.

Another thing he will need to clean up is his footwork. This is less a worry because a lot of it is a result of the movement action throwing out of the spread, but too often he's content relying on just his arm (to great effect), rather than getting himself in a throwing stance.

In totality, I think we'll be lucky to select him at ten. He's going to be the best player in this draft.

I apologize in advance for some errors that i'll try to fix later.

I'm crunched for time and the wife wants to watch Justified at 10pm.Hail

Smart woman. :)

Good breakdown. Sucks you guys couldn't get any full game tape. If this kid works hard and is able to read a defense he's gonna be a freak. I'm not a fan of taking a QB in the 1st this year, but if I had to I think it would be Newton because his ceiling is sky high and I think he has about the same chance of busting as Gabbert (I think Locker is a joke). I also love how accurate his deep ball is which is another knock on Gabbert. I seriously doubt Shanahan takes a QB in the 1st round though and I don't think Gabbert nor Newton will be available in the 2nd rd. My personal fave is Stanzi. When's his writeup coming??? ;)

Props to DG and MartinC for taking the time to do this breakdown...DG I don't know if you noticed but number twenty-eight said that full Auburn games are on espn3.com, and secdigitalnetwork.com, maybe you can get a fuller look at Newton from the games on there with it having all of his plays and not just completions...

I'm glad that you guys looked at Newton in an un-biased manner, something that is not done much around here...The only things I have as critiques of you guys' critiques are:

- Maybe it's me but both you and MartinC seemed to put extra emphasis on stressing that a WR was wide open, as if that is a knock on Newton...

- MartinC keeps touting the fact that Newton ran 240 times and passed 280 times like that is a negative...The overwhelming majority of his runs are of the called variety, not him just taking off and running like Martin is implying...those are the plays that his OC called, and the type of offense he was in...I mean should Newton apologize for that or something? I think it's time to just move on from that and evaluate what's there and stop worrying about things that Newton couldn't change...like the offense his school ran...

- Also it seems that Newton gets knocked in the write-up for a lot of his passing plays utilizing some form of play-action...again why is that a negative? Andrew Luck and Stanford's offense was a predominate play-action passing offense as well, and play-action DEFINITELY translates to the next-level...

Again these are just some minor nits I had to pick with you guys' write-ups, but other than these minor things I listed, I think you guys were very accurate in your assessment! I also like that you both are now seeing the Big Ben comparison...I've been saying that Newton compares to Big Ben or Steve McNair for a while now...I've always thought that the JC, VY, or Jamarcus Russell comparisons were absolutely ridiculous...

I'm glad that you guys looked at Newton in an un-biased manner, something that is not done much around here...

Not to distract from the thread, but I completely understand the reservations with him. The spread option is different (except its not really... our zone plays and counters are wanting to do the same things that Auburn's offense is trying to accomplish with spreading the defense out, and its why I tried to explain it). The least transportable skill are the volume of quarterback runs, so its important to evaluate the passing and especially the conventional dropbacks.

I started out as skeptical as anyone but have come full circle after really examining how he performs throwing the ball. He's deadly accurate long and medium, and will only get better putting the ball on the correct shoulder for the little screens and hitches. He gets too casual with those.

The coverage recognition is a factor for him, like it is for all quarterbacks going pro. He threw seven interceptions versus thirty touchdowns, so it was a fairly acceptable college rate. The ones I mentioned above were the ones that stuck out as most avoidable.

His very best quality is that he's arhythmic. Where most QBs and offenses take little wins within plays and accumulate those over drives, Newton very often is able to make big plays without the benefit of momentum. He's going to be a bigtime star in the League. I hope its for us.

Nice post.. loved the insight..

Now this is the problem I have with some draft analyst...

If the argument against Newton is that he didnt play in a pro-style offense then what will happen to all the QBs in college football after they graduate? Where will the NFL get their QBs? Because all of college football programs run the spread offense in some capacity. And if they dont run a spread, then they are a heavy run first team. Its a dumb argument to suggest that great college QBs will have a hard time learning pro offenses. Its meant to polarize big name college prospects like Tebow and Newton. But there is no proof that there is an argument to be made against spread offense QBs.

- MartinC keeps touting the fact that Newton ran 240 times and passed 280 times like that is a negative...The overwhelming majority of his runs are of the called variety, not him just taking off and running like Martin is implying...those are the plays that his OC called, and the type of offense he was in...I mean should Newton apologize for that or something? I think it's time to just move on from that and evaluate what's there and stop worrying about things that Newton couldn't change...like the offense his school ran...

Let me explain why I keep bringing this up and why I see it as an issue. You are right to say its not Newtons fault and that he runs the plays called but the problem is it limits his experience of having to drop and beat teams with his arm and reduces the film NFL scouts and coaches will have to evaluate him. Given he only started one year in Div 1 and only threw 280 passes in that year its not a lot of film on which to base spending a top 10 pick on a QB.

When he gets to the NFL whatever system he ends up in he is going to be asked to pass a lot more than he runs. Defenses he faces will not be stacked to stop him running and he will have to diagnose coverages, make decisions on where to go with the ball and make his living with his right arm not his legs. I do see a lot of Big Ben in him in his aility to extend plays and I think he will be a big play type QB more than say a guy who fits in a ball control WCO type system.

I think his potential is huge but he also has big questions around his willingness to really do the work he will need to realise that potential and how he will react when he can not just rely on his physical ability and has to use his head. He is the definition of a boom or bust pick and I just dont think we can afford to risk the bust.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 04:28 AM ----------

If the argument against Newton is that he didnt play in a pro-style offense then what will happen to all the QBs in college football after they graduate? Where will the NFL get their QBs? Because all of college football programs run the spread offense in some capacity. And if they dont run a spread, then they are a heavy run first team. Its a dumb argument to suggest that great college QBs will have a hard time learning pro offenses. Its meant to polarize big name college prospects like Tebow and Newton. But there is no proof that there is an argument to be made against spread offense QBs.

I agree and actually I think what is already happening is that NFL offenses are using more and more of the spread concepts. A lot of what the Pats do is right out of the spread play book. My issue is what type of spread and if a QB is used as a runner who can throw or as a passer who can run - its harder to evaluate QBs who are used as runners as much as passers. That may be unfair as they don't call the plays they are asked to run but if you are trying to project a QB into the NFL its more difficult with a guy who has been a runner as much as a passer and right or wrong thats going to affect how he is drafted.

I love the Big Ben comparision i've made it quite a bit in the draft thread. His ability to buy extra time in the pocket by sliding just a bit or break a tackle is very composed and will lead to extending alot of plays at the NFL level. I love his presence in the pocket.

For me though that's where the comparison ends.

Overall

I had not seen much of Newton apart from highlight reels. I don’t think I have still seen that much as there were only 18 pass attempts on this tape – all completions – versus 40 odd attempts when we broke down the Gabbert tape to look at. I would like to see a tape with a full game so I can see some of his incompletions and picks to get a more balanced view.

That said I was impressed by Newtons throwing motion, arm strength and accuracy. Add in his ability to extend a play using his size to shrug off rushers then move and keep his eyes down field and you have a QB who can make big plays in the NFL in the way a Big Ben does. He reminded me very much at times of Big Ben on this tape although he runs much better than Ben in the open field.

The issue for me is that he is very raw. He is not asked to read coverage much, the throws he is making are generally off some fake against defenses staked to stop him running and to wide open receivers. He has worked out of shotgun but then so has Gabbert. He made hardly any stick throws on this tape – it was all deep or short.

I think he has great potential and athletic ability, his ceiling may be the highest of any QB in this draft. However he is so raw and untested in terms of his ability to read coverages and beat you with his arm not his legs that his floor is also maybe the lowest. He could be the next Big Ben or he could be out of the NFL in 3 years – I don’t see any middle ground with him.

If we were picking towards the bottom of the 1st round and he was there I think he would be worth the risk – but picking 10 on a team which cannot afford another QB bust I would pass. I think he will go high in the 1st but I hope its not to us.

[/indent]

(I just realized that we haven't commented much on each other's breakdowns in the Locker and Gabbert threads)

Reading your breakdown we saw a lot of the same things.

These throws stood out to me: On your chart passes: 1,2,4,6,8,17,25-(mine1,2,4,8,10,22,25)

I think its evident from these that Newton has an above average arm and solid mechanics/compact motion/quick release.

But passes 2,17 and 18 really show his NFL potential he hangs in the pocket goes through his progressions and really makes some nice throws; on pass 17 he holds the Safety in the middle of the field with his eyes.

He does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield and his playmaking is evident.

But for the most part he's very well protected this game.

I want to see a game where a team gets pressure on him.

He sometimes throws off balance off his back foot or goofy footed (Rodgers often throws goofy foot when he scrambles) but he's got enough arm where its not a problem.

Like many spread QBs he's gonna have to get comfortable with operating under center.

FWIW, in an unprecidented move, Cam Newton is going to be holding a work out this afternoon at 1 PM for media members only - not scouts or coaches, but the media.

Draw your only conclusions.

This is my biggest red flag on Newton, other than when a possession was on the line Malzahn had him use a freeze count so that he could signal in the play because he didn't trust Newton to audible.

Why would the media be invited to a workout but no one else? Attention.

Sad part is, I don't think it's Cam's fault. He's following what his "advisor/Dad" says.

This is my biggest red flag on Newton, other than when a possession was on the line Malzahn had him use a freeze count so that he could signal in the play because he didn't trust Newton to audible.

Sad part is, I don't think it's Cam's fault. He's following what his "advisor/Dad" says.

This might be unfair but one of the worries I have about Cam is how much he loves football and will live in the film room and gym making himself better like a Peyton Manning versus how much he and his family (read Dad) see the NFL as a pay day. My worry is once he gets the big contract he enjoys the lifestyle and millions he will make more than becoming the very best NFL QB he can be.

I guess you can have that worry about every top draft prospect - how will they react when they become instant millionaires - but when you look at Cam and the whole cash for play issues when he was being recuited and how is Dad seems so involved its a worry.

Smart woman. :)

Good breakdown. Sucks you guys couldn't get any full game tape. If this kid works hard and is able to read a defense he's gonna be a freak. I'm not a fan of taking a QB in the 1st this year, but if I had to I think it would be Newton because his ceiling is sky high and I think he has about the same chance of busting as Gabbert (I think Locker is a joke). I also love how accurate his deep ball is which is another knock on Gabbert. I seriously doubt Shanahan takes a QB in the 1st round though and I don't think Gabbert nor Newton will be available in the 2nd rd. My personal fave is Stanzi. When's his writeup coming??? ;)

(Its a great show and she is a smart women (despite putting up with me) although I get the feeling that if Timothy Olyphant wasn't on the show she wouldn't watch.)

There's a lot to like w/ Newton.

The more I look at the type of QB Kyle has coached in the past and Kyle's Houston version of Mike's Denve WCO offense it probably doesn't require a 1st round talent at QB.

I too like Ricky Stanzi as mid-late round developmental prospect.

If there's interest there is a complete game cut-up of Iowa available maybe another poster *ahem* could lead the way on a Stanzi thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6pmkJcn5U0&feature=related

P

Let me explain why I keep bringing this up and why I see it as an issue. You are right to say its not Newtons fault and that he runs the plays called but the problem is it limits his experience of having to drop and beat teams with his arm and reduces the film NFL scouts and coaches will have to evaluate him. Given he only started one year in Div 1 and only threw 280 passes in that year its not a lot of film on which to base spending a top 10 pick on a QB.

When he gets to the NFL whatever system he ends up in he is going to be asked to pass a lot more than he runs. Defenses he faces will not be stacked to stop him running and he will have to diagnose coverages, make decisions on where to go with the ball and make his living with his right arm not his legs. I do see a lot of Big Ben in him in his aility to extend plays and I think he will be a big play type QB more than say a guy who fits in a ball control WCO type system.

I think his potential is huge but he also has big questions around his willingness to really do the work he will need to realise that potential and how he will react when he can not just rely on his physical ability and has to use his head. He is the definition of a boom or bust pick and I just dont think we can afford to risk the bust

Again like I said you are holding something against Newton that isn't his fault...The way the plays were called, and the offense he was in is what it is...Evaluate what is there, that's what scouts and coaches will do...

Obviously in the NFL he is going to have to pass more than he throws that's a no brainer, but defenses will have to account for him running the same way they do for Vick, and you see the bind he puts NFL defenses in...So I'm going to assume that you think he doesn't understand coverages? Even though he always seemed to find the "wide open" man everytime he passed? Next why do you and it seems like most people assume that b/c he ran a spread option offense that he doesnt watch film, doesn't read defenses, isn't dedicated, question his intelligence? It's almost like you think he just shows up for games and is just running around like he's playing on a sandlot lol....

IMO Newton tight mechanics make him scheme diverse, and a ball control WCO offense that utilizes play-action, and QB movement would be his best scheme fit...

This question is for everyone not just you MartinC...I hear these terms "read the defense" or "read coverage" etc...What does that mean, and for the people that throw those terms around do you even understand how QB's read coverages or what they look for? People throw these terms around loosely, but have no idea what they are talking about.....

Again like I said you are holding something against Newton that isn't his fault...The way the plays were called, and the offense he was in is what it is...

What is Newton's fault? From everything I read, nothing is.

All his off field transgressions - not his fault - he was either in the wrong place at the wrong time, the target of false accusations, or ignorant of what is going on around him.

All his on-field short-comings - not his fault either - that's the offense he was told to run, that's the way the coaches called the game, etc.

The way I understand it, coaches and scouts aren't allowed to be by NFL rules. There was an article with Whitfield that talked about him throwing today and at his pro day to demonstrate his improvement dropping back from center and footwork in that space of time.

The way I understand it, coaches and scouts aren't allowed to be by NFL rules. There was an article with Whitfield that talked about him throwing today and at his pro day to demonstrate his improvement dropping back from center and footwork in that space of time.

Why does he need this extra day just for the media, and not any of the other QBs? I bet Jake Locker could use an extra day in the spotlight to showcase his skills, and I am sure Gabbert would like to demonstrate dropping back from center and his footwork. Where are their media days?

NFL rules prohibit NFL scouts from attending a player workout other than at the NFL Scouting Combine late this month, or at his university’s pro workout day. but Team Newton can send tape of the 60 to 90 minutes workout to NFL teams.

Good interview with Cam before the Pro Bowl. He talks about the media workout around the 5:00 mark.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/09000d5d81e212f4/Cam-Newton-on-set

Why does he need this extra day just for the media, and not any of the other QBs? I bet Jake Locker could use an extra day in the spotlight to showcase his skills, and I am sure Gabbert would like to demonstrate dropping back from center and his footwork. Where are their media days?

I don't know. But as to why Newton's doing it, one of the knocks on Newton is work ethic/self-improvement and I'm sure this is his handlers' attempt at dispelling that.

Archived