Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

Ok, but I'm not asking anyone to agree I was asked about my position and answered the questions asked.

For me the experiecne gained from winning 2 national championship is at least equal to the experience gained from 2 non-national championship even if 1 national championship was on the JuCo level.

Also, I think the experience of playing and winning a national championship under the insane level of scrutiny focused on Cam is not to be overlooked.

I think to rate Luck's experience as greater then Cam's requires some devalue of Cam's accomplishments.

ill give him winning 1 championship.. no doubt.. But i dont see how your comparing 1 season of Andrew luck @ D1 college level as a freshman/soph to Cam at a Juco School.. imo its incomparable.

ill give him winning 1 championship.. no doubt.. But i dont see how your comparing 1 season of Andrew luck @ D1 college level as a freshman/soph to Cam at a Juco School.. imo its incomparable.
LikeI said, I'm not asking you or anyone to agree.

I'm just explaining why I rate them as having the same experience.

I don't agree with casting off an entire national champion season as if it didn't happen; unless you're saying that Cam learned nothing, gained no valuable experience as a QB while winning a national champship at the JuCo level.

That's only way I could see completely disregarding Cam's JuCo season is if you think Cam didn't learn or gain anything experientially that would raise his experience.

Also, you've made no mention of the expereince Cam gained from not only playing but excelling under a high level of national scrutiny that was unique and only applies to Cam.

Some people are numbers guys so here's a numerical analogy form my reasoning w/ 1 season of D1 given=1 point

Luck's '2' rating=2 years D1

Cam's '2' rating=

.5 JuCo national championship season

.25 playing under intense national scrutiny

1.25 undefeated D1 national championship season

LikeI said, I'm not asking you or anyone to agree.

I'm just explaining why I rate them as having the same experience.

I don't agree with casting off an entire national champion season as if it didn't happen; unless you're saying that Cam learned nothing, gained no valuable experience as a QB while winning a national champship at the JuCo level.

That's only way I could see completely disregarding Cam's JuCo season is if you think Cam didn't learn or gain anything experientially that would raise his experience.

Also, you've made no mention of the expereince Cam gained from not only playing but excelling under a high level of national scrutiny that was unique and only applies to Cam.

Some people are numbers guys so here's a numerical analogy form my reasoning w/ 1 season of D1 given=1 point

Luck's '2' rating=2 years D1

Cam's '2' rating=

.5 JuCo national championship season

.25 playing under intense national scrutiny

1.25 undefeated D1 national championship season

who would've thought that him playing under the scrutiny that HE BROUGHT on would work in his favor.. i dont see it..

who would've thought that him playing under the scrutiny that HE BROUGHT on would work in his favor.. i dont see it..
How did the scrutiny that was brought on 'by himself'(meaning his father) work out in his favor?

Don't you think it easier to play well without the national spot light fixated on him because of the scandal that surrounded him and his father?

I don't understand what's so hard to understand about my view point.

I see your view point and although I don't agree I can still understand your reasoning.

But again, for the third time, I'm not asking you to agree, I was answering a question posed to me.

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 10:21 PM ----------

Or do you mean that the scrutiny and pressure Cam's faced shouldn't count because it was brought upon him by 'himself' (father)?

You guys watched/read about the new Total QB Rating?

It has Colt McCoy ahead of Sam Bradford, its the second metric that has McCoy ahead of Bradford (football outsiders too).

1. 2008 Matt Ryan – 72.6
  2. 2010 Colt McCoy – 46.6
  3. 2008 Joe Flacco – 41.6
  4. 2010 Sam Bradford – 41.0
  5. 2009 Matthew Stafford – 32.9
  6. 2009 Mark Sanchez – 30.9
  7. 2009 Josh Freeman – 25.8
  8. 2010 Jimmy Clausen – 11.7

Another little statistic on Bradford:

"...from the chock-full-and-a-little-crazy database of ProFootballFocus.com and crack researcher and writer Khalid Elsayed:

...No quarterback threw deep less than Sam Bradford last season -- 6.8 percent of his 590 throws went longer than 20 yards."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/15/camps/2.html

I wish this thread could be moved to Around the NFL . . .

Me too.

I am starting to feel the same way about Cam Newton that I do about Andrew Luck. I find myself rooting against them just because I am so tired of hearing their names.

How is the Beck v. Grossman competition looking? They both look pretty good, root for one of them. :D

How is the Beck v. Grossman competition looking? They both look pretty good, root for one of them.
I never get why people post like this? Its idiotic.

As if posting about a non-redskins makes me less of fan.

BTW-Your hypocracy is so blantant its silly you've recently posted in this thread at least 3 times, therefore your above question and statement apply to you.

[Want this thread moved to Around the NFL]Me too.
Then we both know what its like to want.

I want your post to have more football content.

-HTTR

I never get why people post like this? Its idiotic.

As if posting about a non-redskins makes me less of fan.

Whoa. Slow down there bud. Nobody questioned your fan-hood.

I was only suggesting that talk about a Panthers QB really does not belong in this forum, but should instead be in the ATNFL forum, a sentiment that you yourself have expressed more than once. I do not think there is anything "idiotic" about that.

I am sure I am not the only one who wants to talk Redskins football on this Redskins board. I am also sure I am not the only one who has tired of Cam Newton and Andrew Luck jock-sniffing.

BTW-Your hypocracy is so blantant its silly you've recently posted in this thread at least 3 times, therefore your above question and statement apply to you.

Actually, my last three posts in this thread all expressed the same sentiment (namely, that this topic is no longer Redskins related); there is nothing hypocritical about that. In fact, it is the very opposite of hypocritical.

Whoa. Slow down there bud. Nobody questioned your fan-hood.
No? That may not have been your intention but when you write this:
How is the Beck v. Grossman competition looking? They both look pretty good, root for one of them

That post makes the false assumption that I'm not rooting for Beck or Rex and that I need to.

I was only suggesting that talk about a Panthers QB really does not belong in this form, but should instead be in the ATNFL forum, a sentiment that you yourself have expressed more than once. I do not think there is anything "idiotic" about that.
Your post makes even less sense because you already know I think this thread belongs in the ATN.

In fact before you ever posted in this thread I made everyone aware that I requested this thread be moved to the ATN but I'm not a mod and therefore have no control over that; which you also know.

Obviously I don't think moving this thread to the ATN is idiotic I think the tone and the nature of your post was idiotic for the reason I layed out above.

I am also sure I am not the only one who has tired of Cam Newton and Andrew Luck jock-sniffing.
I'm sure you're not; but you've posted in this very thread recently which suggests that you're not too tired to comment.
Actually, my last three posts in this thread all expressed the same sentiment (namely, that this topic is no longer Redskins related); there is nothing hypocritical about that. In fact, it is the very opposite of hypocritical.
Maybe you don't see the hypocracy in posting in a thread you don't think should be around and you've done more then echo my thoughts that this is no longer Redskins related:
Cam Newton plays for the Panthers, and not the Redskins, right?

Just kidding. I got a chance to watch the Panthers game, and the kid looked better than his stat line yesterday. That being said, he completed less than 50% of his passes, which is bad any way you slice it.

In my opinion, the most impressive young quarterback this weekend was Colt McCoy.

I live in Charlotte, so Im definitely sick of hearing about Cam Newton. Much less on a Redskins forum board. I think he will be a bust, personally.

He's looked pretty terrible so far. 8 of 19 the first game. I think 7 of 14 vs the Dolphins. I told their fans that the lockout was gonna hurt guys like him more than any other player. They wouldn't listen. I also think they are rushing him along too fast. They should probabaly start Clausen the first few weeks. But I know they won't. And not even sure why they signed Derek Anderson. He's more or less the third string QB, and hasn't even seen the field.

He's looked pretty terrible so far. 8 of 19 the first game. I think 7 of 14 vs the Dolphins.
I think he's looked like a rookie.

But, I've seen Cam make many arm intensive NFL signature throws: skinny post, deep comeback, corner route, vertical seam, go route.

I haven't seen the other rookies make as many "NFL" passes, heck I haven't seen my guy Beck make as many.

Wow, Newton looked terrible against the Bengals. He really is uncomfortable in the pocket and, for some reason, he likes to throw when his feet are not on the ground. Meanwhile, Dalton (who looked terrible in his first two preseason games) actually looks to be progressing. Should be interesting to see if these trends continue.

Wow, Newton looked terrible against the Bengals. He really is uncomfortable in the pocket and, for some reason, he likes to throw when his feet are not on the ground. Meanwhile, Dalton (who looked terrible in his first two preseason games) actually looks to be progressing. Should be interesting to see if these trends continue.

Dalton has been playing against mostly first team defenses, too, if I'm not mistaken. Whereas, Newton has mostly played against second and third tier defensiver players. Other than last night, where he looked absolutely horrible.

Tried to tell people the guy was gonna be a bust. They never listen.

And before the guys start saying "well, its only preseason, you can't say he's gonna be a bust", I say watch the games. He's been terrible. Terrible decision-making. Throwing into double coverages, pulling the ball down and running with it if your first read isn't there, and generally throwing bad passes, will get you beat every single time. He just looks horrible in the pocket. Any pressure on the guy and he can't handle it. He throws off his back foot, etc

I'm not basing it on preseason games alone, silly. I'm basing it on the offense he ran at Auburn. His lack of accuracy there. His lack of accuracy so far in the NFL. His lack of not being able to read defenses well. His not being comfortable in the pocket. I could go on and on. The guy has bust written all over him. Anyone with a clue about the game of football could have saw this coming. Sigh.

I'm not basing it on preseason games alone, silly. I'm basing it on the offense he ran at Auburn. His lack of accuracy there.
His lack of accuracy so far in the NFL. His lack of not being able to read defenses well. His not being comfortable in the pocket. I could go on and on. The guy has bust written all over him. Anyone with a clue about the game of football could have saw this coming. Sigh.
I would say the exact same thing.

Anyone with a clue knows rookie QB are up and down both in preseason and in the regular season.

I remember good QBs that didn't show well in preseason and in their rookie years.

Claiming anyone a bust in the NFL is always a safe bet because even with No.1 pick QB the success rate is around 50/50.

But, its laughable that you or anyone else that has an iota of football knowledge would profess Cam a bust after 3 preseason games.

Time will tell.

I find it especially ammusing that someone (you) that's been wrong about QBs so often is exulting your opinion so highly.

Cheers-

Archived