Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

Yeah it's crazy because he seems to be good at all the passes already and he's so fast that he buys himself so much extra time to get rid of it that he can still set and throw after running away from defenders, lol.

I'd hate to say it but he already looks like a better qb that Vick ever has. On a lot of those type plays Vick would just run but Newton keeps looking downfield and gets off a great pass. He could be better than Steve Young, IMO. I thought this guy was going to be a bust too. He ran way too much in college to be able to see that he'd be doing this that quick.

He's played pretty well...BUT, the guy has GOT to stop throwing off his back foot. He has a really bad habit of doing this. And he also has to stop trying to force the ball in a small space, and throwing into double coverage (Woodson pick). Basically he's mostly just thrown for a bunch of yards, at this point. No wins to show for it. And he's on pace for 32 INT. Just sayin...

He's played pretty well...BUT, the guy has GOT to stop throwing off his back foot. He has a really bad habit of doing this. And he also has to stop trying to force the ball in a small space, and throwing into double coverage (Woodson pick). Basically he's mostly just thrown for a bunch of yards, at this point. No wins to show for it. And he's on pace for 32 INT. Just sayin...

Gotta agree with that. Throwing off your back foot is bad for anyone.

But he DOES have the arm strength to compensate right now. Like that hopping, one-footed 62-yarder to Steve Smith, perfectly in stride, between and right over two defenders down the middle? Holy ****. That's just an impossible throw for most NFL QB's, especially after getting bounced around in the pocket. But he kept his wits about him and stayed focused down-field. Ridiculous throw.

I'm not sure if you saw the game BS, but he was a single yard away from taking the lead in the middle/end of the 4th quarter. Didn't work out, but he was THAT close to being the hero. Of course, the Packers may have marched down the field and scored anyways, but he was right there and almost made the play. The fact that they were even in that game says something, and the fact that they were still in it, on the merits of his arm, even after those costly INT's speaks volumes. The guy's gonna cut down on the picks eventually. I mean, he's had only a month or so to learn that offense. What he's done is incredible, flaws and all.

But its his arm that's the most impressive part. He's got as good an arm as anybody in the NFL. He can make every throw, already.

Yea, his arm strength is incredible. No doubt. And these two issues I mentioned earlier (throwing off his back foot, throwing into tight spaces/double coverage), are correctable. He has a bright future.

One other thing. It's gonna be interesting to see what he can do when teams aren't stacking the line. Both Arizona and Green Bay employed this strategy the first two games. And he made them look pretty foolish (mostly). Now, probably starting this week with Jacksonville, you're gonna start seeing teams play him more honestly. Now his ability to read defenses/coverages is gonna be even more important. And I look for DeAngelo and Stewart to start putting up better numbers now. Conversely, Smith's might start to regress.

He's played pretty well...BUT, the guy has GOT to stop throwing off his back foot.

Wow.

He's been in the league 2 games and was probably the most raw 1st round QB ever, seriously.

I think it's great that they've done so much to keep him looking down field instead of just running for it. 10 years in the league and Vick still doesn't do that.

Most rookie QB's wouldn't have even played game 1 after no training camp, and none of the QB's that have ever started from game 1 have done what he has so far, and he's done it twice. With 0 running game. Pretty impressive considering they only had about a month to prepare for the season.

You're complaining about throwing off his back foot? Grossman still does it. Mc Nabb still does it, a lot of QB's do. It's bad but apparently they get away with it. Eli Manning too.

Wow.

He's been in the league 2 games and was probably the most raw 1st round QB ever, seriously.

I think it's great that they've done so much to keep him looking down field instead of just running for it. 10 years in the league and Vick still doesn't do that.

Most rookie QB's wouldn't have even played game 1 after no training camp, and none of the QB's that have ever started from game 1 have done what he has so far, and he's done it twice. With 0 running game. Pretty impressive considering they only had about a month to prepare for the season.

You're complaining about throwing off his back foot? Grossman still does it. Mc Nabb still does it, a lot of QB's do. It's bad but apparently they get away with it. Eli Manning too.

Dude, I take it you didn't watch either game he's played. Not only is it bad mechanics, but he's thrown at least one pick, directly because of throwing off his bad foot. And like I said earlier, it's a correctable problem. Nothing good coaching can't fix.

As for the "no running game" comment. Now I know you haven't watched either game he's played. Pretty hard for Williams and Stewart to anything going on the ground when they are stacking the line of scrimmage. The Cards and Packers both did so, because they wanted him to try and beat them through the air. Furthermore, Carolina hasn't even rushed that many times. So your comment about them having no running game is absurd. Watch the games.

We knew he was going to make poor reads and throw the ball where he shouldn't sometimes. That was the scouting report, and it was accurate. But all of the good for Cam is looking better than pretty much anyone thought it would at this point. He's much further along than most "experts" believed he'd be, that's for sure.

We knew he was going to make poor reads and throw the ball where he shouldn't sometimes. That was the scouting report, and it was accurate. But all of the good for Cam is looking better than pretty much anyone thought it would at this point. He's much further along than most "experts" believed he'd be, that's for sure.

So true. Although I think its fair to say that even the most staunch Cam supporters, or fans, couldn't have predicted or even hoped that he'd do this well this quickly. He'll come back down to earth at some point, every rookie does. But its still incredible.

off topic, I'm SO glad I traded peanuts for him in one of my dynasty leagues before the season started. He's impossible to trade for at a reasonable price right now. :ols:

• 2 weeks later...

If you are starting a team right now, what QB do you take ahead of Newton?

Rodgers and then who else?

Brady, Manning, and Brees are getting old. Vick... no way. Rivers maybe.

Oh, of course, Grossman and Beck. That's a given.

And the people saying that they always have 8 in the box to force him to pass and not run the ball just aren't watching the games. He's going to be really good, and when he runs it looks like designed plays and he pushes DB's out of his way, lol. He's not just freelance running like Vick does. He looks more like Steve Young I guess but a lot taller and stronger.

Damn he looks good. I counted at least two throws that should have been caught for TD's, and that pick-6 was high, but very catchable. Totally on the receiver. This guy has ludicrous talent. I'm not sure if there's anyone in the league right now that has more velocity on the ball, consistently.

Damn he looks good. I counted at least two throws that should have been caught for TD's, and that pick-6 was high, but very catchable. Totally on the receiver. This guy has ludicrous talent. I'm not sure if there's anyone in the league right now that has more velocity on the ball, consistently.

A lot of his throws should have been catches but were dropped or intercepted. The only think I noticed bad was some of his passes are high but he's nothing like a scrambling qb overthrowing receivers by 10 yards or bouncing them 5 yards in front of them like McNabb always did. He stops and sets most of the time because he's that much faster than the guys chasing him around.

He threw that 60 yarder so hard while he wasn't even on the ground that the defender reacting to it only covered about 10 yards while it was in the air.

A lot of his throws should have been catches but were dropped or intercepted. The only think I noticed bad was some of his passes are high but he's nothing like a scrambling qb overthrowing receivers by 10 yards or bouncing them 5 yards in front of them like McNabb always did. He stops and sets most of the time because he's that much faster than the guys chasing him around.

He threw that 60 yarder so hard while he wasn't even on the ground that the defender reacting to it only covered about 10 yards while it was in the air.

Yeah, he's got an elite, and pretty rare, arm. Amazing.

I don't think I've rooted as hard for a player that is not on the Redskins, as I have for Cam...He was my top QB, and top overall player coming out of last yrs draft, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the conspicuous silence of some of his biggest detractors...both on this board, and in the media!

Archived