Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was this the worst decade of music ever ?

Mickalino

Now that the decade is officially over (not sure if it technically ended in Jan 2011, or Jan 2010, but in either case it's over), can we now say it was the worst decade of music ever ?

Seriously, what stands out in this past decade of music ?

Does any artist(s) stand out, to the degree that certain artists did in previous decades ?

Who defined the decade ?

Seems to me like the quality of music has gradually declined since the 70's, which were arguably the best or one of the best decades of music ever.

I think music has to be evaluated with some distance from it. You can't evaluate a decade of music during that decade. I think the real test is seeing how a particular period of music holds up in 10, 20, 30 years. There is some stuff out there right now that I think will hold up. And there's some that we'll hear a couple decades from now and think, "we actually used to listen to that ****?" I think that's true of every decade though. As great as the 70s were, they have to own disco. :ols:

And there's some that we'll hear a couple decades from now and think, "we actually used to listen to that ****?" I think that's true of every decade though.

But I'm asking myself that question of THIS decade.....that's not a good sign of how we'll look back on it, in the future :ols:

hell no it's not.

Music has exploded, Bands everywhere have access to inexpensive GOOD recording software.

There's a LOT of good stuff out there. It's just a little harder to find. Radio is completly sold out, "record stores" are gone.

But it's out there. You just need to look. I do a 'net radio show on Wednesdays and I play a LOT of new music.

~Bang

hell no it's not.

Music has exploded, Bands everywhere have access to inexpensive GOOD recording software.

There's a LOT of good stuff out there. It's just a little harder to find. Radio is completly sold out, "record stores" are gone.

But it's out there. You just need to look. I do a 'net radio show on Wednesdays and I play a LOT of new music.

~Bang

I agree with that. CHUBAKAH introduced me to Ozomatli. You want music? Boom. That's it right there. Those guys borrow from every genre, every custom, every music style, and work it into a ridiculously awesome concoction. They're one of those groups that you can listen to a thousand times and hear something different each time.

Ghey as it sounds too, I really think Michael Buble is one of those real enduring talent types. I'm not gonna throw him in the Sinatra/Tony Bennett category yet, obviously, but I think he's got nearly that kind of potential. His range is impressive too. Both vocally and in terms of the stuff he does.

I like music that is musical; complex. And you're right. It's out there if you dig for it. The crap that you have to claw through to get there has been there in most decades I think.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2011 at 10:21 PM ----------

I also think that as we get older, we reminisce about "our" music, and the memories we made to it. It's not surprising that we find ourselves a little put off by the stuff "the kids" listen to nowdays.

1990-1999

2000-2009

so the decade ended back New Year's 2009.

Depends...on one hand, for hip-hop. Yes. You can say all you want about underground and random no names but in the 80's and early-mig 90's I didn't need to look far for classic albums. The mainstream was full of classics from Raising Hell and It Takes a Nation of Millions to Illmatic and Ready to Die.

For pop music...the amount of talent necessary to become super famous in general has dropped severely over the years. Even the Backstreet Boys had talent vocally...Bieber? Ke$ha? Perry? Gaga has talent though.

But the explosion of the World Wide Web has given access to so many local acts we never would've seen in the past and has opened access to so much music for different people even if most of it is illegally downloaded.

Double-edged sword. Can't call it "the worst."

The 70's had disco which had a couple good acts like the Bee Gees and Earth, Wind and Fire among garbage and more garbage although it was never made for listening to, it was strictly dance music. There's "good" and "bad" music every decade it's just that over time, the bad is forgotten and we think it was a paradise of brilliant stuff. But again, at least alot of the disco groups played instruments. If you have talent, I'll give you respect.

I WILL say that if I was on a desert island and had one decade to choose from it would be the 70's or if a ten year period, 1965-1975. Give me some Stevie, Zeppelin, Beatles etc. and I'm good. 99% of my friends have a good amount of classic rock on their iPods. Will the same hold true for today's pop rap garbage? Who knows.

But to say there wasn't a bunch of good music from the 2000's would be false. Just don't turn on the radio or you'll suffer the consequences of teenage girls picking what's popular.

also think that as we get older, we reminisce about "our" music, and the memories we made to it. It's not surprising that we find ourselves a little put off by the stuff "the kids" listen to nowdays.

I agree. You have to try to hear the music from the perspective of the artists, and their genration is not our generation. Their frames of reference are different than ours for a lot of things. Music is a reflection of our times, and even though most of us rock and roll fans were only kids or younger during the sixties and early seventies, just as it allowed us a glimpse into the soul of that generation, music today helps us glimpse into the soul of the youth of today. And, I might add, I think it is a MUCH more honest glimpse than we got then. The sunshiney protesty consciousy sixties all turned out to be a big lie, and the "truth" the music tells today is much more close to honest.

By the by, psychedelia is alive and well, and guitars have made a BIG comeback. I love it.

~Bang

No way. Like bang said, you can't rely on radio and the popular music venues to introduce you to good musicians. There is some really great music out there... you just have to dig deep.

I've always felt that most popular/mainstream music is written (or merely performed) and to some degree obscure, indie stuff... written by people in their late teens and early twenties. Whatever they sing about, I just can't relate to anymore. Plus, with time, good musicians get even better. They know music better, they know their instruments better.

There was quite a bit of stuff I liked earlier this past decade. Lucy Pearl/Raphael Saadiq, RATM- Renegade, a lot of downtempo and electronica stuff from J Boogie, Mark Farina, King Kooba etc, RHCP- By the Way and Stadium Arcadium, great hip hop in Blackalicious, Lyrics Born, J-Live . . .

There's been quality but the quantity of quality in mainstream music is not there.

Triumph by Wu Tang came on my ipod today. That came out in 97! Thirteen years ago and it's still better than most of the hip hop rap garbage that they put out now. Someone in the know, introduce me to the modern day Wu Tang!!

I've pretty much separated "rap" from " hip hop" for awhile now. There is a big difference in lyrical quality, delivery, and the overall feel when it comes to hip hop, at least for me.

As far as this being the worst decade, I'm not so sure. There are still a lot of good artists out there making good music, across all genres. For some reason however, it's not making it to the radio stations. "Mainstream America" doesn't want to hear good music anymore.

I was huge in to music in the 90s (mostly Jam bands), traveled to see shows all over the place, went to Bonnaroo 1 in 2001 and then got burnt out and stopped seeking out music until about a year ago. Sort of Rip Van Whinkl'd, and when I woke up I found so many cool bands doing great poppy stuff with great hooks, and I'm re-energized to explore music and find new things. Here are a few of my recent favorites:

Broken Bells, James Mercer (LS of the Shins) and Danger Mouse:

Whitest Boys Alive, these guys are German and don't tour much around here. The last 2 min of this song is awesome.

El Ten Eleven, two guys and a bunch of pedals:

The Black Keys, two other guys who rock it:

Das Racist. A friend recently turned me on to these idiots. I think this **** is genius.

If you think this past decade was a bad one for music you simply weren't paying close enough attention, it's really that simple. We have an unprecedented level of access to music from all corners of the world courtesy of the internet and digital content. You can successfully argue that the mainstream scene sucks and that may very well be the result of radio stations pushing lowest common denominator type stuff even harder just to keep competitive... but the trade-off is well worth it when you consider the sheer diversity of what's available to everyone. All it takes is a basic level of familiarity with a computer to be able to do some quick digging, reach in, and pull out something you're really going to like.

AosA6A3V5Bo

EV_w_B-xg2Y

UlbDUde6X3o

-mw_75MKtQo

UPW8y6woTBI

oMe4kVNKvNk

5izzy0mBvaQ

L69lQB8zBJw

Compared to the 90's, the 2000's sucked big time. There were some good bands to emerge like The Killers, Linkin Park, and The Silversun Pickups but most of the mainstream stuff is crap. Someone please tell me what happened to Green Day. They were awesome in the 90's, but most of their newer stuff is garbage.

Archived