Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was this the worst decade of music ever ?

Mickalino

Everything having to do with music is opinion which is why these threads create so much controversy. We are biased to when we grew up etc.

For what it is worth, I am biased AGAINST when I grew up, because it was awful, at least for us white kids stuck in the suburbs. We couldn't find James Brown - we didn't know he existed. We had to make do with Toto.

Lady Gaga is a zillion times better than that crapola.

With the 70's, I think a lot of people's impression is that like every decade, there was a lot of junk but the elites created such a gap between the junk and themselves. Maybe some people thought that the top bands of the 2000's, which aren't like the 70's where you had a relatively small group didn't separate themselves as much. Just a hypothesis.

I'll buy that. The last decade didn't really have a Stevie Wonder.

Still, listeners in the last decade would never have put up with the utter garbage that the 70s inflicted on us 90 percent of the time, and I think that has to be viewed as a major, major improvement overall.

I'll buy that. The last decade didn't really have a Stevie Wonder.

Still, listeners in the last decade would never have put up with the utter garbage that the 70s inflicted on us 90 percent of the time, and I think that has to be viewed as a major, major improvement overall.

And I'll buy that since I didn't experience the 70's. :cheers:

But at least Steve Luthaker gave us that great riff on Beat It.

Well that's because they had options. In the '70s we had to listen to whatever they put on the radio, good or bad. Now, if you don't like the crap that is on the radio you can find stuff on your own (Pandora, etc.).

Well that's because they had options. In the '70s we had to listen to whatever they put on the radio, good or bad. Now, if you don't like the crap that is on the radio you can find stuff on your own (Pandora, etc.).

That is true, but no one even makes the kind of pap that ruled the 70s anymore. Just like no one wears pumpkin colored corduroy bellbottom pantsuits anymore. We learned better. Good music now is disjointed and flawed and hard to find, but at least none of it is by bands like Air Supply anymore. :ols:

I was having this discussion with my brother-in-law: how do kids nowadays find new music? His kids (high school and college age) don't listen to the radio. Is it all word of mouth?

How you find music is really just a function of how much you care about it and are willing to invest time in to pursuing it. Word of mouth is probably the most common way that people find new music, particularly among those who enjoy music but aren't willing to invest time going to smaller venues to see relatively unknown groups live or do a little second-hand research.

As Bang said, merely keeping your ears open is always a good idea and Pandora can be a great resource for stumbling in to new music. I've always had a lot of success just pulling up some information on the artists I like. Just taking a gander at their previous work, side projects, related acts, who they've toured with, who they've collaborated with, and their influences can turn up a ton of new material to listen to.

question: Has there EVER been a decade when there wasn't a huge swath of the population convinced that they had just seen the nadir of civilization in whatever area they just chose to focus their gaze?

No.

That is true, but no one even makes the kind of pap that ruled the 70s anymore. Just like no one wears punkin colored corduroy bellbottom pantsuits anymore. We learned better. Good music now is disjointed and flawed and hard to find, but at least none of it is by bands like Air Supply anymore. :ols:

Damn you! Would you stop dredging up old long-forgotten memories. :mad:

Here, so everyone can enjoy it:

6lE6Htee0sA&feature=related

You are correct that I forgot to mention reggae, but most of those you just mentioned were the funk or disco artists that I said were the high points of the decade. There was some great music in that decade - in every decade.

My point is, I promise you, if you went back in time and turned on the radio back in the 70s, you would not hear Bob Marley or Parliament.

You would hear Gilbert O'Sullivan singing "Alone Again, Naturally."

Then you would hear the Fifth Dimension's "Up Up and Away (in my Beautiful Balloon)."

Then you would hear BJ Thomas and "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head."

Then you would hear Sammy Johns doing "Chevy Van."

Then you would throw up. No other decade would have inflicted such horrors on you on a regular basis.

I get that you're using radio play as a qualifier. I would probably add that radio stations varied greatly from city to city, area to area. I was born in Detroit and exposed to wide range of music growing up while also studying music from 3rd grade through college so I just shriek at the sight of someone making broad based critiques of a time period. :2cents:

I get that you're using radio play as a qualifier. I would probably add that radio stations varied greatly from city to city, area to area. I was born in Detroit and exposed to wide range of music growing up while also studying music from 3rd grade through college so I just shriek at the sight of someone making broad based critiques of a time period. :2cents:

If you grew up in Detroit then you may have been infected with the Bob Seger virus, and I simply can't run the risk of taking with you anymore. Sorry.

Because of the mass amount of exposure that the internet and music file sharing brought this past decade, there are a lot more one hit wonders that get exposure and a lot more crappy, mainstream filler music that gets through, which clouds the good music that came about.

But the 80's easily hold the title for worst decade of music. Synth keyboard. Need I say more?

Now that the decade is officially over (not sure if it technically ended in Jan 2011, or Jan 2010, but in either case it's over), can we now say it was the worst decade of music ever ?

Seriously, what stands out in this past decade of music ?

Does any artist(s) stand out, to the degree that certain artists did in previous decades ?

Who defined the decade ?

Seems to me like the quality of music has gradually declined since the 70's, which were arguably the best or one of the best decades of music ever.

No. This was an incredible decade for music. The record industry fragment which has been an overwhelmingly positive thing for music. Top 40 and billboards has never been less influential since it's advent. You see musicians like modest mouse becoming household names, playing movie soundtracks, on tv shows, in commercials, etc. The internet has been a wonderful thing because now small artists can gain a national audience.

There have been too many seminal albums this decade to even name. Especially for rock music. Some that come to mind:

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

Death Cab - Transatlanticism

The Postal Service

Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes

Cursive - The Ugly Organ

Deerhunter - Microcastle

Fleet Foxes

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Bright Eyes - Lifted or the story is in the soil, keep your ear to the ground

The Black Keys - Rubber Factory & Magic Potion

The Strokes - Is This It

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell

Arctic Monkeys - the debut album

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

White Stripes - White Blood Cells & Elephant

Sigur Ros - Aegetis Byrjun

Wilco - Yankee Foxtrot Hotel

LCD Soundsystem - every one of his albums

At The Drive In - Relationships of Command

QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf

Broken Social Scene- You forgot it in people

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Vampire Weekend

Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days

Green Day - American Idiot

The Go! Team - Thunder Lighting Strike

Plus multiple seminal Radiohead albums and multiple masterpieces from Joanna Newsom and the Hold Steady.

That's just indie rock and only what I can think of from the top of my head. Most of those I got just from looking at my top played on itunes. There has also been tons of great hip hop, country, blue grass, electronic, etc.

I actually think this was one of the finest decades of music ever. There was a lot of good stuff in the sixties and to a lesser extent the seventies. But there was also a lot of ****. I never saw a use in idealizing those decades in music. Doing so would tend to cause you to miss out on all of the masterpieces from this decade. I'd honestly put up Moon & Antarctica, Illinois, and Funeral against any challengers from any decade and they would fare well.

Because of the mass amount of exposure that the internet and music file sharing brought this past decade, there are a lot more one hit wonders that get exposure and a lot more crappy, mainstream filler music that gets through, which clouds the good music that came about.

But the 80's easily hold the title for worst decade of music. Synth keyboard. Need I say more?

Yes. You do need to say more. Because no synth keyboard song could ever top this:

6cdFuMgMkBM

I actually think this was one of the finest decades of music ever. There was a lot of good stuff in the sixties and to a lesser extent the seventies. But there was also a lot of ****. I never saw a use in idealizing those decades in music. Doing so would tend to cause you to miss out on all of the masterpieces from this decade. I'd honestly put up Moon & Antarctica, Illinois, and Funeral against any challengers from any decade and they would fare well.

Agree. But there was more than enough **** to go around this decade also.

hell no it's not.

Music has exploded, Bands everywhere have access to inexpensive GOOD recording software.

There's a LOT of good stuff out there. It's just a little harder to find. Radio is completly sold out, "record stores" are gone.

But it's out there. You just need to look. I do a 'net radio show on Wednesdays and I play a LOT of new music.

~Bang

See, that's the problem I have. I really struggle to find anything I like nowadays. How do you find new music you want to use for your show?

See, that's the problem I have. I really struggle to find anything I like nowadays. How do you find new music you want to use for your show?

I use Pandora a lot, I search on podsafe network on mevio.com for stuff... but that does require hours of sifting thru junk.

I listen to some podcasts,, one of my favorites is www.radiofreebakersfield.com mostly because i know the guy, he's a lot of fun, But because I know this guy (WhoreHay, as he calls himself on the show). I know that he is ALWAYS on the edge looking for new stuff. He's plugged into some pretty cool scenes in southern California, and I like a lot of what he plays.

Pandora is good. I have about 50 or 60 stations seeding my "quickmix', so I get a good variety of stuff. I run a recorder all day while I'm working, and when it plays one i Like, I cut it out and save it.

I record the show on the weekend, and since folks seem to be interested in finding new music, maybe I can help on Wednesdays. I stopped bumping my thread about the show because I didn't really want to spam the board. But, i'll try to remember to bump it if folks want to listen.

~Bang

As far as pop music goes, I would have to say why not? The fact that Lady Gaga "Poker Face" is #1 on the charts for like 3000 weeks is pretty bad.

Except Poker Face isn't a truly awful song. It's pretty catchy. In comparison, "You Light Up My Life" was No. 1 on the charts for half of 1977 - and it is turrible. Turrible!

Personally, I have no idea what is on the radio and don't even know the channels around here and I've lived here for the better part of 37 years. I had my truck for 5 years, before I learned that the radio will tell me who the band is and whats playing.

That said, I have heard more great music for the first time now, than any other decade outside of the punk rock invasion. The 80's will always be my favorite because of the punk, hardcore, metal and rap all showed up strong, but this decade is starting off pretty great to me. Bands like the devil makes three, deer tick, lucero I just can't get enough of. I'm lucky to work at a small rock and roll club, where people take good music very seriously. We are working on a website for new music as well, that I'll be sure to share.

Archived