Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was this the worst decade of music ever ?

Mickalino

I'm trying to decide here, and I settled on a ten year span of my own. Sidenote, I was raised on oldies by my father and love the 60's, 70's and even the goofy music of the 80's.

My post is strictly related to radio, I'm not really an underground, discover new acts sort of guy. In the early 90's, I was big into Metallica, Offspring, Live, Green Day, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, etc. It was a great time to grow up listening to music.

For me, it all came to a screeching halt around 1997. That was when techno suddenly became big, when crap like the Macarena was popular...I wish I could forget late high school dances. Techno started to die down a little, and then suddenly Britney Spears, N'Sync, and the like took over for the next 4-5 years. Now I'll admit that some of these bands could really sing their asses off, but it just wasn't my sort of music, and it was mostly what was on during my college years. Bands started to emerge after that, but really, what's the most memorable band from the early-mid 2000's from a radio standpoint? Maroon 5? Pass. Usher? Pass.

Now Offspring still put out pretty good stuff, as well as Green Day and some others I liked, but there just wasn't a whole lot of new stuff out there that grabbed me. I remember liking Audioslave a lot, but they aren't on the radio much.

So my official nomination is 1997-2006 as the worst decade of music, from my own personal viewpoint. I'm not sure it's gotten any better recently, when garbage like the Plain White T's is allowed to exist. But I can at least listen to current music stations now without feeling like I need to pull over and vomit.

I was having this discussion with my brother-in-law: how do kids nowadays find new music? His kids (high school and college age) don't listen to the radio. Is it all word of mouth?

I have found it hard to find new good music because you have to hunt for it. I've managed to be turned on to a few good bands/songs through the various music threads here at ES, but sometimes I want more, and I get tired of pouring through random music video links of bands I've never heard of, most of which turn out to suck, or at least not do anything for me.

In one of my efforts the other day I was trying to find your radio show that you mentioned, as I recall listening to it a while back and enjoyed it. I thought it would be another good source for music. I couldn't find it. Do you have a link for it? Are past shows available to listen to?

Thanks in advance.

I find it a lot on Pandora, and I keep my ear open when I'm around younger people. There's a whole crew of them that are with the company that hosts the station, and they all dig the show, so I am always asking them for recommendations and whatnot. So, say one of them tells me they like Band X.. I plug that into my Pandora and see what it gives me.

The link is http://radio.thebaynet.com/

The station looks awful, and it's going thru a facelift. So, if you find no mention of my show, don't worry,, you'll note it doesn't mention any of the shows.

I'm on wednesday nights at 7, but over the last 8 weeks or so I've been bumped for high school basketball broadcasts.. I come on after that, usually around 10.

The season is over, i think, so I should be back on my regular schedule starting this coming Wednesday.

Unfortunately they don't podcast it yet. It's something I'm pressing for. I usually do about 3 hours.. a bit much for a podcast.

I'll pop my thread for it back up when it's coming on to remind anyone interested.

Not everything I play is new. I play lots of stuff going back to the 50s. I try to touch all the eras most weeks.

I'm actually working up my playlist this morning, so I can tell you that the next show I'll be playing some Link Wray from 1955 or so ("Hillbilly Wolf"), some early Elvis, and some great rockabilly from the late great Ronnie Dawson.

From the 60s I'm going to play CCR, Uranus and the Five Moons, and some surf with the Penetrators, among other things.

From the 70s I've got some Dr Feelgood, and some Tom Petty (Even though the song isn't from the 70s,, he's pretty much a Classic Rock act.)

From the 80s I'm playing the Pixies, the Fall, and some Sonic Youth.

From the 90s I've got a bunch of stuff.. Stone Roses, Oasis, Dandy Warhols, Dinosaur Jr. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, the Blue Hawaiians and more..

and from this decade I'll be playing some Supergrass, Coliseum, Bright Light Fever, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Soledad Brothers, Greg Dulli, Southern Culture on the Skids, Hosty and a lot of others.

Wednesday at 7 !

~Bang

The thing about the history of popular music is that each decade had its own creation, evolution, or new discovery.

The 20-50s saw a lot of Cajun, Country, Jazz, Blues, Rockabilly, etc.

The 60s saw the advent of psychelic, metal, blues based rock, funk, etc.

The 70s saw punk, disco, southern rock, Eddie Van Halen, power pop, the introduction of synthesizers, etc.

The 80s saw new wave, hair metal, thrash, the evolution of guitar playing as a result of Eddie, rap, the beginnings of grunge, and more use of synthesizers.

The 90s saw grunge come to fruition, less blues based rock, hip hop evovled, rap/rock, protools, pop grunge, etc.

The 00s saw what autotune and reality show stardom?

I think that is why most people see the last decade as something sub par because nothing of note was really introduced. The music didn't really evolve, it was just a repackaging of old forms of music with updated production techniques and hiding talent with technology.

The thing about the history of popular music is that each decade had its own creation, evolution, or new discovery.

The 00s saw what autotune and reality show stardom?

I think that is why most people see the last decade as something sub par because nothing of note was really introduced. The music didn't really evolve, it was just a repackaging of old forms of music with updated production techniques and hiding talent with technology.

This decade did have mash ups. Mixing of a two or more songs to make a new one. Not bad if done right.

Now that the decade is officially over (not sure if it technically ended in Jan 2011, or Jan 2010, but in either case it's over), can we now say it was the worst decade of music ever ?

Seriously, what stands out in this past decade of music ?

Does any artist(s) stand out, to the degree that certain artists did in previous decades ?

Who defined the decade ?

Seems to me like the quality of music has gradually declined since the 70's, which were arguably the best or one of the best decades of music ever.

I think its easy to say that this is the worst decade for R & B and Rap music. I've bought only 1 record since 2004.

I find it a lot on Pandora, and I keep my ear open when I'm around younger people. There's a whole crew of them that are with the company that hosts the station, and they all dig the show, so I am always asking them for recommendations and whatnot. So, say one of them tells me they like Band X.. I plug that into my Pandora and see what it gives me.

The link is http://radio.thebaynet.com/

Not everything I play is new. I play lots of stuff going back to the 50s. I try to touch all the eras most weeks.

Wednesday at 7 !

~Bang

Thanks. I recall that from listening before, and that's one of the things I like, a mixture of music from various eras. That's why my ipod is filled with music from the '50s to the present.

I think the 30s were pretty barren.

The 1920s had this great mix of jazz and vaudeville and orchestration combined with new technology. By the 30s, it seemed to be this bland mush of strings and over-produced backup singers. There was an interesting folk music movement, but I don't think it really achieved greatness until the 40s.

WWII had great music. It's telling that every Christmas Song that you love probably has its roots in WWII.

The 50s brought the concept album and Sinatra and early rockabilly and doo-wop. The 60s were revolutionary. The 70s had 1977. The 80s had 1985. Those decades had great moments and movements and just an explosion of voices.

I agree and disagree; the 80s produced a lot of great crappy music.

Not as much crappy as maybe cheesy.

The thing about the last ten years was that there was good music made, you just have to dig around for it because starting in 1995 radio changed for the worse...but that's a completely other rant.

I giggle at the idea that the 1970s was the decade of great music. Those were my formative teen years, and I promise you, the radio sucked 100 times worse than it sucks now. The 70s has a few bright lights - the last waning of the 60s protest songs at the beginning of the decade, the rise of punk at the very end of the decade, disco (some of which was good), some funk, a couple of classic rockers at their height like Led Zep and Queen.

But mostly - these were the songs that you heard in the 1970s:

"You Light Up My Life"

"Escape" (the Pina Colada Song)

"Having My Baby"

"The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia"

"Feelings" (whoh whoh whoh)

"Seasons in the Sun"

"Torn Between Two Lovers"

"Wildfire" ('She kept calling Wild... fire)

"December 1963" (Oh What A Night)

"Let your Love Flow" (like a mountain stream)

"Billy Don't be a Hero"

"Sometimes When We Touch" (the honesty's too much...)

"Rhinestone Cowboy"

"You Don't Have To Be A Star Baby"

"I'd Really Love to See you Tonight"

"Reunited" (and it feels so good...)

"Precious and Few" (are the moments we two can share...)

"The Night Chicago Died"

"All by Myself"

"Year of the Cat"

"Longer" (than there've been fishes in the ocean)

"Disco Duck"

"Please Come to Boston"

"Afternoon Delight" (sky rockets in flight...)

Anything by the Eagles

Anything by Tony Orlando and Dawn

Anything by Helen Reddy

Anything by Foreigner

Anything by Barry Manilow

Anything by Diana Ross (after she left the Supremes)

Anything by America

Anything by Styx

Anything by James Taylor

Anything by Frankie Valli

Anything by Andy Gibb

Anything by Billy Joel

Almost anything by Elton John

Anything by Little River Band

Anything by John Denver

Anything by Captain and Tennille

Anything by Bread

Anything by Olivia Newton John

Anything by the Osmond

Anything by Bob freaking Seger

Absolutly NO decade can match the 70s for craptastic music. I dare you to come up with a list like that for any other decade.

I giggle at the idea that the 1970s was the decade of great music. Those were my formative teen years, and I promise you, the radio sucked 100 times worse than it sucks now. The 70s has a few bright lights - the last waning of the 60s protest songs at the beginning of the decade, the rise of punk at the very end of the decade, disco (some of which was good), some funk, a couple of classic rockers at their height like Led Zep and Queen.

But mostly - these were the songs that you heard in the 1970s:

"You Light Up My Life"

"Escape" (the Pina Colada Song)

"Having My Baby"

"The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia"

"Feelings" (whoh whoh whoh)

"Seasons in the Sun"

"Torn Between Two Lovers"

"Wildfire" ('She kept calling Wild... fire)

"December 1963" (Oh What A Night)

"Let your Love Flow" (like a mountain stream)

"Billy Don't be a Hero"

"Sometimes When We Touch" (the honesty's too much...)

"Rhinestone Cowboy"

"You Don't Have To Be A Star Baby"

"I'd Really Love to See you Tonight"

"Reunited" (and it feels so good...)

"Precious and Few" (are the moments we two can share...)

"The Night Chicago Died"

"All by Myself"

"Year of the Cat"

"Longer" (than there've been fishes in the ocean)

"Disco Duck"

"Please Come to Boston"

"Afternoon Delight" (sky rockets in flight...)

Anything by the Eagles

Anything by Tony Orlando and Dawn

Anything by Helen Reddy

Anything by Foreigner

Anything by Barry Manilow

Anything by Diana Ross (after she left the Supremes)

Anything by America

Anything by Styx

Anything by James Taylor

Anything by Frankie Valli

Anything by Andy Gibb

Anything by Billy Joel

Almost anything by Elton John

Anything by Little River Band

Anything by John Denver

Anything by Captain and Tennille

Anything by Bread

Anything by Olivia Newton John

Anything by the Osmond

Anything by Bob freaking Seger

Absolutly NO decade can match the 70s for craptastic music. I dare you to come up with a list like that for any other decade.

As another child of the 70's I agree that's quite a compilation, although I might dispute some of your "Anything" artists. While there was a lot of suckitude with those artists, there were some good songs mixed in as well.

Good lord. Still going on with this decade-is-crap crap. Hmmm. Let's see:

Bob Marley

Alton Ellis

Ken Boothe

Jackie Mittoo

Jimmy Cliff

Peter Tosh

Albert King

Bo Diddley

JJ Cale

Shuggie Otis

Doors

Pink Floyd

Rush

Robin Trower

Sly & the Family Stone

Johnny Cash

Carol King

Gary Bartz

Roy Ayers

Edwin Birdsong

Minnie Riperton

Donald Bird

Buddy Miles

Stevie Wonder

Bill Withers

Gene Harris

Bobbi Humphrey

Curtis Mayfield

Parliment

Eddie Hazel

Funkadelic

Evelyn Champagne King

Miles Davis

Grant Green

Idris Muhammed

James Brown

Jackson 5

Stan Getz

Joao Gilberto

Astrud Gilberto

Horace Silver

Al Green

Ann Peebles

Delfonics

Dusty Springfield

Marlena Shaw

Marvin Gaye

Young-Holt Unlimited

The Gap Band

MFSB

O' Jays

Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes

. . . to name a few. Plenty of musicianship to go around.

Anyone else find it find a little funny that sticksboi, a 20 year old, tries to define himself as THE definitive answer to pretty much everything. Hell, I saw a thread where he posted that Olivia Wilde is just a skinny ugly stick pretty much unworthy of much attention. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm sorry, but if you just go ahead and outright condemn Olivia Wilde like that, then you just might have the ghey, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I must be doing something right if my arguments are so apparently convincing that you think I'm posting them as fact which I never implied whatsoever. I am giving my opinion in the same way that everyone else is. Predicto just said the 70's were relatively mediocre. You gonna jump on him for it? That's no different than my OPINION that 90's hip hop topped 2000's hip hop.

"Don't think it's that close to me." To me = in my opinion. If Enter wants to throw up some albums I should listen to, I'd be more than willing to as I always love to hear new music and guarantee I haven't listened to near the amount of stuff other people here have like LKB.

Everything having to do with music is opinion which is why these threads create so much controversy. We are biased to when we grew up etc.

I stated the exact same opinion as just about everyone here which is, there's plenty of great music, you just have to find it.

As for Olivia Wilde, I'd really love for you to find a quote where I said she was "ugly." I believe it was in response to the Maxim end of year list that ranked her #1 and I said I thought that was a bit silly. And she is a toothpick, but I never said she wasn't attractive at all. If I did, quote me on it and I'll eat my crow.

Ironically, in an earlier Olivia Wilde vs. Olivia Munn poll, I voted Wilde..guess I don't think that poorly of her do I?

---------- Post added February-4th-2011 at 02:07 PM ----------

I think Marlena Shaw is pretty underrated. She's got some great song like her cover of California Soul. And the O'Jays are great also.

Bob Marley

Alton Ellis

Ken Boothe

Jackie Mittoo

Jimmy Cliff

Peter Tosh

Albert King

Bo Diddley

JJ Cale

Shuggie Otis

Doors

Pink Floyd

Rush

Robin Trower

Sly & the Family Stone

Johnny Cash

Carol King

Gary Bartz

Roy Ayers

Edwin Birdsong

Minnie Riperton

Donald Bird

Buddy Miles

Stevie Wonder

Bill Withers

Gene Harris

Bobbi Humphrey

Curtis Mayfield

Parliment

Eddie Hazel

Funkadelic

Evelyn Champagne King

Miles Davis

Grant Green

Idris Muhammed

James Brown

Jackson 5

Stan Getz

Joao Gilberto

Astrud Gilberto

Horace Silver

Al Green

Ann Peebles

Delfonics

Dusty Springfield

Marlena Shaw

Marvin Gaye

Young-Holt Unlimited

The Gap Band

MFSB

O' Jays

Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes

. . . to name a few. Plenty of musicianship to go around.

You are correct that I forgot to mention reggae, but most of those you just mentioned were the funk or disco artists that I said were the high points of the decade. There was some great music in that decade - in every decade.

My point is, I promise you, if you went back in time and turned on the radio back in the 70s, you would not hear Bob Marley or Parliament.

You would hear Gilbert O'Sullivan singing "Alone Again, Naturally."

Then you would hear the Fifth Dimension's "Up Up and Away (in my Beautiful Balloon)."

Then you would hear BJ Thomas and "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head."

Then you would hear Sammy Johns doing "Chevy Van."

Then you would throw up. No other decade would have inflicted such horrors on you on a regular basis.

With the 70's, I think a lot of people's impression is that like every decade, there was a lot of junk but the elites created such a gap between the junk and themselves. Maybe some people thought that the top bands of the 2000's, which aren't like the 70's where you had a relatively small group didn't separate themselves as much. Just a hypothesis.

Archived