Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was this the worst decade of music ever ?

Mickalino

Parliament I love and G. Clinton but that's funk. Almost all old-school rap derives samples from jazz, disco, funk and Motown...(that's why it's vastly superior).

---------- Post added February-7th-2011 at 04:11 PM ----------

Bee Gees were great. All their Saturday Night Fever songs are great as is A Fifth of Beethoven and If I Can't Have You IMO of course. Earth, Wind and Fire were great also.

I discovered a few years ago that Earth, Wind, and Fire are the Steve Miller of Disco/Funk. Their hits are really all you need to hear.

(I keep putting down Steve Miller, don't I?)

I discovered a few years ago that Earth' date=' Wind, and Fire are the Steve Miller of Disco/Funk. Their hits are really all you need to hear.

(I keep putting down Steve Miller, don't I?)[/quote']

But you're right, ha.

As for JMS's post: The Bee Gees aren't really even a disco group. They did a handful of songs for SNF and the movie blew up into a phenomenon and that's why they are associated with disco.

But you're right, ha.

As for JMS's post: The Bee Gees aren't really even a disco group. They did a handful of songs for SNF and the movie blew up into a phenomenon and that's why they are associated with disco.

Disco is a genre. I'm not sure why disco acts have to get labled so heavily.

The Beastie Boys have done funk and jazz-fusion albums. They don't get labled with that.

---------- Post added February-7th-2011 at 05:23 PM ----------

Here's what this reminds me of.

Did you ever meet someone who says like they all "music except country" or "all music except rap?" Do not be friends with these people, because they are most likely horrible bigots and it will take you a long time to figure that out.

10. Torn Between Two Lovers by Mary MacGregor

OMG..... I really really really hated that song... I remember they played that song for months.. every other song. Driving to church as a kid it was not uncommon to hear that thing like three times. Our church was 15 minutes away by car. Every middle aged woman on the planet wanted that song on continous play loop for like three years' date=' Even today the mention of that song releaves me temporarily from control of my baser body functions..

It's like one of your truely most unpleasent memories as a child... Oh god help me; I just played back the tune in my head, now it will be with me for days....

Three songs which fill me full of an irrational rage...

1. Ripped2Lvrs,
  2. MacArthur Park Cake rain... angst...
  3. Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians..."What I am" How many cheap cleches can one fit into one song's lyrics... A celebration of idiocy.

1977 snap shot---------------------sounds like alot of the players were wasted.

January 1 - The Clash headline the gala opening of the London music club, The Roxy.

January 12 - Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards is fined 750 pounds for possession of cocaine which was found in his wrecked car on May 19, 1976. Richards was charged an additional 250 pounds for court costs and found "not guilty" of possession of LSD. ;0

January 26

Patti Smith falls off the stage while opening for Bob Seger in Tampa, Florida. Smith is rushed to the hospital for 22 stitches to close head lacerations. While recovering, Smith writes her fifth book of poetry, Babel.

Fleetwood Mac's original lead guitarist, Peter Green, is committed to a mental hospital in England after firing a pistol at a delivery boy bringing him a royalties check.

Alice Cooper enters rehab for his alcoholism, after ten years of drinking a pack of beer a day.

January 27 - After releasing only one single for the band, EMI terminates its contract with the Sex Pistols.

February 4 - American Bandstand celebrates its 25th anniversary on television with a special hosted by Dick Clark. An "all-star band" made up of Chuck Berry, Seals & Crofts, Gregg Allman, Junior Walker, Johnny Rivers, the Pointer Sisters, Charlie Daniels, Doc Severinsen, Les McCann, Donald Byrd, Chuck Mangione and three members of Booker T and the MGs perform "Roll Over Beethoven."

February 14 - The B-52's make their debut at a party in Athens, Georgia

February 15 - Sid Vicious replaces Glen Matlock as the bassist for the Sex Pistols.

February 27 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police raid Keith Richards' Toronto hotel suite while he is sleeping and seize 22 grams of heroin, 5 grams of cocaine and narcotics paraphernalia. Richards is arrested and charged with possession of heroin with intent to traffic, and possession of cocaine. He is released on $25,000 bail.

March 1 - Sara Lowndes Dylan files for divorce from her husband of 11 years, Bob Dylan.

March 10 - A&M Records signs the Sex Pistols in a ceremony in front of Buckingham Palace. The contract is terminated on March 16.

April 22 - Pink Floyd opened the North American leg of their "Animals" tour in Miami, Florida.

April 24 - Several artists, including Joan Baez and Santana, perform at a free concert for the inmates of California's Soledad Prison.

April 25 - During a concert at the Saginaw, Michigan Civic Center, Elvis Presley makes what would turn out to be the last recordings he would ever make. Three songs recorded at the show would later appear (with overdubs), on the album, Moody Blue.

April 26 - New York's disco Studio 54 opens.

May 7 - Having been postponed from April 2 because of a BBC technicians' strike, the 22nd Eurovision Song Contest finally goes ahead in London's Wembley Conference Centre. France wins with Marie Myriam and the song "L'Oiseau et l'Enfant".

May 11 - The Stranglers and support band London start a 10 week national UK tour.

June - Founding of the Nikikai Opera Foundation.

June 12 - The Supremes performed for the last time together at Drury Lane Theatre in London and officially disbanded.

June 22 - Kiss are elected "most popular band in America" by a Gallup poll.

July 9 - Donna Summer's hit record "I Feel Love" is released in the UK. It was massively influential in pop music as it was the first hit record ever to have an entirely synthesised backing track and helped propel the use of synthesisers in music greatly, especially in the 1980s.

July 24 - Led Zeppelin perform in Oakland at their last ever concert in the United States.

August 16 - Elvis Presley is found dead at his home Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee.

August 17 - Florists Transworld Delivery (FTD) reported that in one day the number of orders for flowers to be delivered to Graceland for the funeral of Elvis Presley had surpassed the number for any other event in the company's history.

For some reason, I associate disco with just lame music. I don't think Earth, Wind and Fire are lame so they can't be disco!

Did you ever meet someone who says like they all "music except country" or "all music except rap?" Do not be friends with these people' date=' because they are most likely horrible bigots and it will take you a long time to figure that out.[/quote']

I'm not really sure what that means. Aren't these people more open-minded than 90% of music listeners? I must admit that I only like a small sliver of the country music genre. I know a lot of people might say "all except___" but are really just lying and mean that they only like most of the music you hear over and over on the radio.

This debate is going all over the place and making me wonder if the question is "worst decade of music ever?" or "worst decade of popular music ever?". If the question is B: you could make an arguement based of personal preference or experience; as long as you don't hate on Alicia Keys, then you have to die.

But if the question is indeed "worst decade of music ever", that's flat out impossible to answer. There's too much music now, with a huge a swath of great music many of us won't get a chance to enjoy even if we tried to find it all.

I'd make the arguement that this is the greatest decade of music simple because of this fact; the underground has exploded.

Regular radio has completely failed us, so flipping thru the stations and saying I'm more annoyed now then I was in the 80's or 90's is rediculous.

I'm sure somebody's already on top of this now, but until there's a easier way to find these "hidden gems" and expose them to the masses, we'll keep having these debates, spinning in circles every 3 or 4 months on "what happened to music"?

And as long as crap albums keep getting bought hundreds of thousands at a time, does that really mean anyone seriously wants change? Does anyone really care?

And as long as crap albums keep getting bought hundreds of thousands at a time, does that really mean anyone seriously wants change? Does anyone really care?

What world are you living in where hundreds of thousands of crap albums are being sold?

The main problem right now is that no albums are getting bought.

You can spit venom at the record industry all you want (and you should), but the fact that all the labels are dying means that the only artists who are going to get any kind of support are the ones guaranteed to go - and this is the world we live in now - Gold. As I've pointed out before, Cake had the #1 album in the country at one point last month with 44,000 units moved in a week. Once upon a time, that might have gotten you into the Top 50. Maybe.

Labels simply don't have the room now to sign the next Pixies or REM or a band that is going to sell 100,000 units to the college kids and at least pay back the production costs plus a little more. Hell, the sales numbers that once got you assigned to smaller divisions on the big labels now make you Taylor Swift.

That's the frustrating thing. There is probably more new music than ever before and it's all accessible. I just have no idea how you sift through it all any longer. It seems like you need to have endless time watching YouTube clips of terrible bands or something.

Dude, the 80s was one of the better decades of music. These guys have it all wrong.

As for the question at hand? I wouldn't say its the worst. Not even close. To me, the 90s was probably the worst. Boy bands. Ugh. So ghey.

Oh, so boy bands were representative and accurately reflective of the entire decade of the 90's ?

A good bit of it, yes.

Boy bands are only reflective of the pre-teen girl demographic of the pop genre.

As i said, they exist in every era, and they're always hugely popular, always among the same demo.

You know why I don't associate the 90s with the big boy bands? The same reason I don't associate the 80s with Pet Shop Boys or the 70s with thec Osmond Brothers.

Because I didn't listen to them. I associate the 90s with the re-awakening of psychedelia, the re-emergence of british guitars, and the death of CDs. Because I realize that they are an inevitable by-product of pop music and pop culture, and like a pimple, will definitely go away if you ignore them.

They're nothing but fluff for little kids. Why you or anyone would give so much weight to their "popularity" would only indicate that they hold that position in your mind.. because they certainly don't qualify otherwise. Most of them don't even qualify as a "band".. just a collection of singers that passed an audition and were grouped together by a record company with the express purpose of selling desire to little girls.

Over the history of pop music, they are a footnote in a long string of such footnotes.

By the by, for all those I was talking with earlier in the thread,,, 7PM tonight,, the Bang Music Hour.. I'll pop my thread back up later as a reminder. Lots of new and old music tonight.

~Bang

Yes. You do need to say more. Because no synth keyboard song could ever top this:

[billy don't be a hero]

my daughters {5, 7, and 9} have all been wailing out this song at the top of their lungs for about 6 weeks now... i hve NO idea how this made it into my house. I played a different ytube version of this song for them (I think the band was playing on some sort of lawrence welk type show) to try to scare them, but it only encoureged them, AND taught them more of the lyrics.

sigh.

...... this last week they have been singing {shaving cream} {oh yes they call him the streak} and {punk rock girl} instead, so perhaps the reign of terror is ended.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 04:30 PM ----------

ur age is showing

Uhm.... <blush>

zzzzzzip.

I will say this for Pet Shop Boys.

They were awful.

But not as awful as the Human League.

Even at music's worst, there are times when it's at least possible to see what the record exec did when he gave them a contract. Like Pet Shop Boys,, appeal to the androgynous club crowd with insipid inoffensive electronica that may or may not be homosexual references. There's a market.

But Human League .. I just can't find a single marketable quality about that dreck. I can't see why they don't just sell albums of people dragging razor blades down a chalkboard while surrounded by reasonably attractive (dog-butt ugly) British girls who dance with the vigor and creativity of frozen roadkill.

Anyway, the Bang Music Hour is due to start in about 45 minutes.

http://radio.thebaynet.com/

~Bang

I will say this for Pet Shop Boys.

They were awful.

~Bang

What have they done to deserve this? It's a sin that you say that about them or is it just jealousy. Maybe it's because they appealed to suburbia? Look, they had opportunities to make lots of money and they did. Eh, their legacy will always be on my mind so I guess I'll be left to my own devices.

Well, just got a text that my show is off tonight since they're having yet more computer issues.

What a circus.

~Bang

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 12:05 AM ----------

What have they done to deserve this? It's a sin that you say that about them or is it just jealousy. Maybe it's because they appealed to suburbia? Look, they had opportunities to make lots of money and they did. Eh, their legacy will always be on my mind so I guess I'll be left to my own devices.

I suggest you read the recently released white paper from 1984 that shows that the Pet Shop Boys were subversive anarchists who cleverly hid their attempts to upset the world's power balance beneath really gay hairdos and limp synth pop.

The infamous "West End Boys" were responsible for hundreds of terrorist attacks in the 80s.. That is to say that when a young man decided to become a fan of the band and dressed accordingly, it terrified his father.

~Bang

So from this decade what do you figure will be played on radio 20 years from now? Nickelback seem to be the Journey of this era. I can't think of much else besides some Kid Rock, White Stripes, some Weezer, and I'm forgetting a few others. I just don't see many of the Active Rock bands that dominate radio now being played much except for a few Godsmack songs along with some Disturbed because it's just too heavy for most to listen to years from now.

So from this decade what do you figure will be played on radio 20 years from now? Nickelback seem to be the Journey of this era. I can't think of much else besides some Kid Rock, White Stripes, some Weezer, and I'm forgetting a few others. I just don't see many of the Active Rock bands that dominate radio now being played much except for a few Godsmack songs along with some Disturbed because it's just too heavy for most to listen to years from now.

And in the end, Weezer is a 90's band.

Kanye probably.

Archived