Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

Honestly this selection show tells me we need a playoff now. Just too many picks that make you go WTF?!

You know...it's better that there is no playoff this year.

This would be the kind of year that a playoff comes into play....and it would still be screwed up, because Boise State and Kansas State would have been left out somehow.

I think an 8 team playoff is a pipe dream...So...let's do a four-teamer. And Stanford gets in over Oregon, after Oregon crushes them and wins their conference.

I honestly no longer have any idea what system is "fair."

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 10:24 AM ----------

PS

If I was a voter, it would not matter to me who was in the National Championship game or who won. Regardlesss of what happens, I would vote LSU #1.

This season doesn't need a national championship game. It needs a victory lap.

This would be the kind of year that a playoff comes into play....and it would still be screwed up' date=' because Boise State and Kansas State would have been left out somehow.[/quote']

Disagree in the case of Boise. (Don't know enough about KS to have an opinion.)

Want respect, Boise? Join a real conference. Play 2 top 10 teams, another 2 top 25 teams, and a couple of teams that are probably in the top 50.

Or, keep playing pushovers, whining about not getting respected, and ignoring people when they tell you why you aren't respected.

(I'm also not certain that Boise doesn't get into an 8-team playoff. I don't know if they'd get my vote, but I suspect they'd get some. They might make it. All I'm saying is, if they don't get into an 8-team playoff, I won't be feeling sorry for them.)

Disagree in the case of Boise. (Don't know enough about KS to have an opinion.)

Want respect, Boise? Join a real conference. Play 2 top 10 teams, another 2 top 25 teams, and a couple of teams that are probably in the top 50.

Or, keep playing pushovers, whining about not getting respected, and ignoring people when they tell you why you aren't respected.

(I'm also not certain that Boise doesn't get into an 8-team playoff. I don't know if they'd get my vote, but I suspect they'd get some. They might make it. All I'm saying is, if they don't get into an 8-team playoff, I won't be feeling sorry for them.)

I don't see how the seeding in an 8-team playoff would be any less controversial?

You would still have automatic qualifiers

So - LSU, OSU, Clemson, Oregon, and WVU would all be in.

That leaves 3 spots for Alabama, Stanford and ...someone.....I guess Boise St but is that fair to Arkansas or Kansas State or Virginia Tech?

I don't see how the seeding in an 8-team playoff would be any less controversial?

So - LSU' date=' OSU, Clemson, Oregon, and WVU would all be in.

That leaves 3 spots for Alabama, Stanford and ...someone.....I guess Boise St but is that fair to Arkansas or Kansas State or Virginia Tech?[/quote']

You forgot Wisconsin as an AQ, if you're going to give spots to the Big East and ACC champs, the Big10 gets one. There would only be two AQ spots open. I'd put Alabama and Stanford in them, but that's just me.

On another note, Penn State got passed over by a few bowls as expected and wound up in the Ticket City bowl, but they do get an interesting matchup against Houston.

That leaves 3 spots for Alabama' date=' Stanford and ...someone.....I guess Boise St but is that fair to Arkansas or Kansas State or Virginia Tech?[/quote']

Don't know about Arkansas or K-State. And all I know about VT is from reading a little bit of this thread. But you think there's something wrong with a hypothetical playoff where VT doesn't get into the top 8?

Heck, I'd rank a three-loss Oklahoma ahead of VT. Yeah, they got spanked in their championship game. Outright humiliated. But then, so did VT, and against much worse opposition.

(And no, Oklahoma doesn't deserve to be in an 8-team playoff, either.)

So - LSU' date=' OSU, Clemson, Oregon, and WVU would all be in.

That leaves 3 spots for Alabama, Stanford and ...someone.....I guess Boise St but is that fair to Arkansas or Kansas State or Virginia Tech?[/quote']

If you do a playoff, you should do the top 16 that are in the BCS. The top 4 teams have a bye and host a game. The rest of the 12 duke it out. If you do that, you'll have your MWC, MAC, C-USA in the fold. Problem solved. That's the only way I can see it getting solved.

If you do a playoff, you should do the top 16 that are in the BCS. The top 4 teams have a bye and host a game. The rest of the 12 duke it out. If you do that, you'll have your MWC, MAC, C-USA in the fold. Problem solved. That's the only way I can see it getting solved.

if the top 4 get a buy, and the other 12 play, you'll have 10 teams after the 1st round. no worky.

That number doesn't work and you have a playoff that lasts a month. I'm not sure anyone really wants that.

if the top 4 get a buy, and the other 12 play, you'll have 10 teams after the 1st round. no worky.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Somehow, you have to work the top 16. Just do it like the basketball tourney and make it the football version of the Sweet 16. You would have to create regions of course(West,East, South, Midwest). Top 4 have the top seeds, bottom 4 of the 16 get the lower rankings and have no home game. That's the only way I see this working.

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 11:00 AM ----------

That number doesn't work and you have a playoff that lasts a month. I'm not sure anyone really wants that.

Major Harris pointed it out too. That's the complicated thing about FBS when you have historical bowls in the fold. You really can't do a playoff system. The powers(Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta) won't allow it to happen. There is a reason why FCS schools play 8-10 games and the playoffs started already. But I'm with you on just go back to the old system. I rather go back to that.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Somehow, you have to work the top 16. Just do it like the basketball tourney and make it the football version of the Sweet 16. You would have to create regions of course(West,East, South, Midwest). Top 4 have the top seeds, bottom 4 of the 16 get the lower rankings and have no home game. That's the only way I see this working.

That's a month of games.

You would have to cut down the regular season to 10 again - assuming that there are still conference championship games.

The problem would then be that the first month of the season would be pointless. Why on earth would LSU schedule the likes of Oregon or WVU when they don't need the points to get the computers to like them. Hell, all they really need to do is finish in the top 3 in the SEC and they are more than likely in.

Hell, South Carolina would be in under a 16-team playoff and the only notable non-conference game they ever play is Clemson, which they more or less "must" play.

Also, do you really want Southern Miss in this?

If Michigan had won their division of the B10 and then lost to Wisconsin in the B10 championship game - would Michigan State take their place in the Sugar Bowl?

It seems to me that MSU was punished for losing a close championship game. A game that didn't have to happen since they had beaten Wisconsin (and Michigan) already.

As for the Tech bid - good for them (and the ACC). I do find it curious though that the same people who claimed they couldn't get off work for a Wednesday game in Miami are now able to take off for Tuesday night game in Nawlins.

;)

If Michigan had won their division of the B10 and then lost to Wisconsin in the B10 championship game - would Michigan State had taken their place in the Sugar Bowl?

Seems to me that MSU was punished for losing a close championship game. A game that didn't have to happen since they had beaten Wisconsin already.

I don't think so, because Michigan would have only had 1 loss going to the game if they would have made it versus two. All MSU had to do was beat Wisconsin, and they would have made the Rose Bowl.

This is how the playoff SHOULD work (assuming chalk for simplicity):

1) LSU - bye week

2) OSU - bye week

#1 bracket

Round 1:

1 bye

3 vs 14

5 vs 12

7 vs 10

Round 2:

1 vs 7

3 vs 5

Round 3:

1 vs 3

#2 Bracket

Round 1:

2 bye

4 vs 13

6 vs 11

8 vs 9

Round 2:

2 vs 8

4 vs 6

Round 3:

2 vs 4

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

1 vs 2

11 conference champs, 5 wild cards.

First 3 rounds at better-seeded team's home.

Final at, say, Rose Bowl.

Wild cards this year: 'Bama, Stanford, pick 3 from Boise/VT/MSU/Michigan/Arkansas.

I doubt if anyone is going to give up 1-2 guaranteed home games - which you would have to do if they went to a 16 team playoff.

Regular season would have to be cut to 10 games (instead of the 12 that most teams play).

BTW - some of the polls used in the computer rankings are a joke. For example, is there a ranking that would have Texas as the #13 team in the nation? Both the Massey and Sagarin ranking do.

:doh:

11 conference champs, 5 wild cards.

First 3 rounds at better-seeded team's home.

Final at, say, Rose Bowl.

Wild cards this year: 'Bama, Stanford, pick 3 from Boise/VT/MSU/Michigan/Arkansas.

LKB and Major Harris pointed out, it's too much football, and they would go into Feb. This is the system we are stuck with. It's too much money tied into the championship games, and other schools receiving money during the 1st 4 games. No dice.

That's a month of games.

You would have to cut down the regular season to 10 again - assuming that there are still conference championship games.

The problem would then be that the first month of the season would be pointless. Why on earth would LSU schedule the likes of Oregon or WVU when they don't need the points to get the computers to like them. Hell' date=' all they really need to do is finish in the top 3 in the SEC and they are more than likely in.

[/quote']

Why would you have to cut the number of regular season games to 10? They could have the same number of games and have the round of 16 this coming Friday and Saturday, quarters on the 17th, Semis on the 24th and the Championship game on New Years Day.

As for the Tech bid - good for them (and the ACC). I do find it curious though that the same people who claimed they couldn't get off work for a Wednesday game in Miami are now able to take off for Tuesday night game in Nawlins.

;)

2 days off vs 3 days off :)

And come on, its New Orleans. I have been to Miami so much over the past 4 years

Archived