18. Southern California

19. TCU

20. Michigan

21. Penn State

22. Southern Mississippi

23. Florida State

24. Notre Dame

25. Baylor

I was wondering where this thread was and then it magically appeared.

My Hoos have a pretty strong class and should end up around the bottom of the top 25 as we are waiting on four pretty big names. I think we get two of those, but unfortunately not the biggest name as I think Curtis Crant is ultimately going to choose Ohio State over UVA. Still an excellent effort for a team coming off a few down years. Mike London is a heck of a recruiter and I think he is going to get things turned around in Charlottesville.

I was wondering where this thread was and then it magically appeared.

My Hoos have a pretty strong class and should end up around the bottom of the top 25 as we are waiting on four pretty big names. I think we get two of those, but unfortunately not the biggest name as I think Curtis Crant is ultimately going to choose Ohio State over UVA. Still an excellent effort for a team coming off a few down years. Mike London is a heck of a recruiter and I think he is going to get things turned around in Charlottesville.

Yeah, UVA probably won't get Grant, but they did land this guy:

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/01/parade-picks-baysides-nicholson-firstteam-allamerican

Which is a pretty big pick up for London and company. UVA's making some serious talent moves under London.

Also, for those who still insist that the "world is flat" and recruiting rankings don't matter/stars don't mean anything/etc., read these articles before saying anything like that please:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Recruiting-gurus-All-American-track?urn=ncaaf-311830

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Recruiting-gurus-track-record-at-th?urn=ncaaf-312394

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Judging-the-recruiting-rankings-gam?urn=ncaaf-312875

Basically, while elite (top 10, but particularly top 5) recruiting doesn't entirely guarantee that you will compete for BCS championships, not pulling in elite classes almost guarantees that you won't consistently compete for BCS championships. You need to have the horses to run the race.

Michigan State, ranked 29th according to the list you posted.

It's easy to see the difference between the top teams and those such as Michigan State. No wonder MSU got stomped by Alabama. Alabama has more 5 star recruits than MSU has 4 star recruits, and about the same number of 4 star recruits as MSU has 3 star recruits.

Basically, while elite (top 10, but particularly top 5) recruiting doesn't entirely guarantee that you will compete for BCS championships, not pulling in elite classes almost guarantees that you won't consistently compete for BCS championships. You need to have the horses to run the race.

Absolutly. Your key word there being BCS titles.

With talent being disproportionatly in Florida, Texas, California, and to some degree in the Carolinas and along the Gulf coast, it isn't a wonder that the SEC has won the last 5 BCS titles and that besides Virginia Tech and Ohio State, the BCS era has seen a slew of coastal teams play for the BCS title.

1998) Tenn v FSU

1999) Virginia Tech vs FSU

2000) Oklahoma vs FSU

2001) Miami vs Nebraska

2002) Miami vs Ohio State

2003) LSU vs Oklahoma

2004) Oklahoma vs USC

2005) Texas vs USC

2006) Florida vs Ohio State

2007) LSU vs Ohio State

2008) Florida vs Oklahoma

2009) Alabama vs Texas

2010) Auburn vs Oregon

All of those schools listed above, in particular since 2002, are within one state of, or have, an incredible talent base to work with locally. Florida has elite talent and is very deep, as is Texas, the Gulf coast and California.

Virginia and the Carolinas have some elite talent, but not nearly at the level that Texas, Cali and Florida have it at. Ohio State is able to do a damn good job mining the midwest and poking into a few other places.

But really, access to talent is such a huge factor in actually getting it.

What you didn't also mention Sparty is that just because you HAVE the talent, does not correlate to winning either. We can see Miami and FSU this past decade as poster boys for that, along with Texas this past season who went without a bowl despite the overwhelming recruiting success they have had recently

What you didn't also mention Sparty is that just because you HAVE the talent, does not correlate to winning either. We can see Miami and FSU this past decade as poster boys for that, along with Texas this past season who went without a bowl despite the overwhelming recruiting success they have had recently

Well I felt like this part sort of hinted at that idea:

Basically, while elite (top 10, but particularly top 5) recruiting doesn't entirely guarantee that you will compete for BCS championships

I just didn't want to expand further on that since I was trying to keep that as concise as possible.

But yeah, obviously things like coaching, player development (strength & conditioning program, nutrition program) player retention, etc., all factor in as well. Put all of those together, with the top 5 talent, and you get 2009 Alabama.

Although, as awful as the coaching and development was at FSU (some of the very worst in the BCS) for most of the decade, they still never had a losing season, simply because they were able to pull out a couple of games each year due to sheer talent advantage alone.

Although, as awful as the coaching and development was at FSU (some of the very worst in the BCS) for most of the decade, they still never had a losing season, simply because they were able to pull out a couple of games each year due to sheer talent advantage alone.

Agree. We always said up in Blacksburg that FSU and Miami "always have the athletes" which is why that ACCCG in 2005 wasn't an outright shock. Bunkley was the most talented guy on the field that night and destroyed our o-line.

Florida, Texas, California also seem to have a disproportionate amount of "jumbo athletes." The Glen Dorsey, Pouncey brother type guys who are not only big but just dominant.

Virginia, while having plenty of playmakers, doesn't seem to produce those big behemoths that can also move. Once in a while a Bruce Smith or a Cornell Brown comes along, but not enough to rely on

ODU Football landed one of the top QB recruits in the country, Taylor Heinicke. He is one of the Old Spice 50 top HS recruits and was the Georgia Offensive player of the year. His passing yards (4,216) and touchdowns (44) are the second most all time for a season in the state of Georgia.

We also got RB Tyree Lee, who is expected to be named Virginia's Group AAA Player of the Year.

We are also signing Defensive end Dontez Tyler, defensive back Aaron Matthews, and outside linebacker Rob Mahan. Tyler will probably replace Daron Mayo, little brother o the Patriot's Jerod Mayo as our stand up defensive end.

JMU has a solid recruiting class with a few FUMA transfers and a very good player in Ascene Jacques. Add in K-State transfer Billy Cosh who pretty much rewrote the passing record books in Maryland and this could be a big move for a team who looks to be moving more to a pro style offense now. Crazy for me to think that JMU would go from the spread to more of a pro style offense.

Was surprised WVU lost DeAndre Reaves to Marshall after he first verbally committed to WVU, trust me anyone who's from the Loudoun County area knows about DeAndre and how he's maybe the most gifted runner to come through Loudoun in a long long time. He single handidly kept his HS in a lot of games and they ended up making the playoffs IIRC

Also have to say that UVA is having one hell of a recruiting class this year and while they probably won't get Grant like you said SHF they got some dang good players as well and I think if I saw it right it was 4 4 start recruits

Agree. We always said up in Blacksburg that FSU and Miami "always have the athletes" which is why that ACCCG in 2005 wasn't an outright shock. Bunkley was the most talented guy on the field that night and destroyed our o-line.

Florida, Texas, California also seem to have a disproportionate amount of "jumbo athletes." The Glen Dorsey, Pouncey brother type guys who are not only big but just dominant.

Virginia, while having plenty of playmakers, doesn't seem to produce those big behemoths that can also move. Once in a while a Bruce Smith or a Cornell Brown comes along, but not enough to rely on

Funny you mention that point.

I was reading an article a few days ago (that I now can't find again for the life of me, if I do I'll post it, it was a Sports Illustrated article though) that was talking about how the common belief is that the SEC and southern teams win with just "speed," but in reality it's size as well.

Something like 44% of current NFL defensive linemen grew up and played football in the Deep South. Guys are grown big and fast down here.

I was about to start this thread in the NCAA forum but the new feature stopped me cold. I guess it needs to be in the Tailgate to get any traction.

Anyway, this is going to be a pretty weak year recruiting wise for Penn State. We have good quality, but not many scholarships. Penn State only graduated something like 11 seniors this year, and no one left early, so they only have something like 17 scholarships available.

So far, Penn State has 15 commits, and it's exactly a 3 star class according to ESPN. Four 4-stars, seven 3-stars, and four 2-stars. Very line heavy, eight of the 15 recruits are projected as linemen on one side or another. The rest is a mixture, but we have no QB or RB commits this year.

Will be interested to see if we keep all 15 (Michigan and USC are going after 1 or 2 of our guys) and if we snag someone at the end. Will be watching all day. If anyone cares, ESPN has an all day chat going on as well.

I'm not thrilled with Miami's class... Golden doesn't have a huge finger print on it quite yet. Next year Miami should have a better class...

One four star.

Everyone else is a three except for ONE of our two kickers who is a two.

I think that, all things considered, Golden has done a great job. He has been on the job for 6 weeks. He kept the best player in RS' class (Chick's paper is in!) and swung two more ESPN 150 guys that weren't on Miami's radar under the old regime. At that stage in the game, most of those guys are solid verbals or leans to another school that has been working them forever. This morning, the Grimble commit is a HUGE get (will his cousin follow??). Carroll and Golden are both very charismatic guys. This class will be on the small side, but it is a good sign for 2012. And you never know. There could be a surprise or two on the horizon.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 09:10 AM ----------

I was about to start this thread in the NCAA forum but the new feature stopped me cold. I guess it needs to be in the Tailgate to get any traction.

Anyway, this is going to be a pretty weak year recruiting wise for Penn State. We have good quality, but not many scholarships. Penn State only graduated something like 11 seniors this year, and no one left early, so they only have something like 17 scholarships available.

So far, Penn State has 15 commits, and it's exactly a 3 star class according to ESPN. Four 4-stars, seven 3-stars, and four 2-stars. Very line heavy, eight of the 15 recruits are projected as linemen on one side or another. The rest is a mixture, but we have no QB or RB commits this year.

Will be interested to see if we keep all 15 (Michigan and USC are going after 1 or 2 of our guys) and if we snag someone at the end. Will be watching all day. If anyone cares, ESPN has an all day chat going on as well.

Penn State really tore it up on the recruiting trail last year, so the depth chart could have been a problem with some of these guys.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 09:12 AM ----------

Was surprised WVU lost DeAndre Reaves to Marshall after he first verbally committed to WVU, trust me anyone who's from the Loudoun County area knows about DeAndre and how he's maybe the most gifted runner to come through Loudoun in a long long time. He single handidly kept his HS in a lot of games and they ended up making the playoffs IIRC

Losing Doc really hurt WVU this year. Next year should be better with Bill Stew being shown the door.

For those interested in the Ashburn players signing their letter of intent today, all from Stone Bridge:

Spenser Rositano - Boston College

Rob Burns - UVA

Calvin Hollenhorst - Coastal Carolina

John Cheretis - Washington and Lee

I had the privilege to cover a couple Stone Bridge this year and I'm really looking forward to seeing what Rositano can do at the next level. Amazing athlete.

Congrats to all HS seniors signing their letter of intent today!

Funny seeing Urban Meyer on ESPN having to be complimentary of FSU's recruiting class so far.

Also funny seeing Randy Shannon being interviewed on "the importance of holding down South Florida talent." Something he was incapable of doing save one year.

I'm impressed with Meyer so far. Pretty good insight regarding the Purdue situation.

Virginia just inked four star ATH Darius Jennings from Baltimore over Ohio State and Wake. Very nice signing. UVA is mining Maryland and Virginia in this class.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 09:58 AM ----------

Also Dominque Terrell from Osbourne will be deciding between WVU, UVA, and Miami at 11:30.

That is a close one. If you would have asked me a week ago I would have said that he was UVA bound. But Miami and WVU have closed strong.

I'm not thrilled with Miami's class... Golden doesn't have a huge finger print on it quite yet. Next year Miami should have a better class...

One four star.

Everyone else is a three except for ONE of our two kickers who is a two.

You all still have a shot at my boy Nicky (Dominique Terrell) who is a 4 Star #122 ESPNU, and ranked high on Scouts, Rivals (#2 in Virginia), etc....he's announcing at 11:30 this morning. He took a trip to The U this past weekend. He's down to UVA, WVU and The U.

Edit: Scoops beat me while I was typing this up

Archived