Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

How about:

Alabama plays OSU, and the winner plays LSU.

Then everyone is happy.

I think its the Olympic Hockey argument. If you already lost to somebody, why should playing them again be worth more later? I'm not saying I agree. I'm just saying that if Bama plays LSU and wins.....people who say then "Ok, we need a best 2 out of 3 to really see who's better" wouldn't be that wrong.

I'd prefer OK State now anyways.

People asked me what constitutes an elite quarterback yesterday. Well, let me ask you something. When was the last VT quarterback to be drafted in the 1st round? There hasn't been a QB as talented as Michael Vick since he left VT. There hasn't been anyone captivating the nation like RG3 or Barkley or Luck. VT has largely had placeholders and game managers at quarterback since. I listed the QB's already since Vick left, they're all mediocre other than Taylor.

Again, we have to give Logan more time, but right now, he's above average. He's not a superstar, and VT won't take that next step until he becomes a superstar.

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 07:54 AM ----------

Also, congrats to OSU for slapping OU around last night and putting themselves in the discussion. I have no problem with either LSU Bama or LSU Oklahoma State. Both should be good games. Let's see how the voters react

jsf2ft.jpg

Tried ordering some but can't seem to find any. Any reason why? ;)

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 08:37 AM ----------

CLLLLLLLLLEEEEEMMMSSSOOOOONNNN!!!!!!!

sorry just wanted to say that, carry on

Rep the ACC and don't get blown out like prior ACC champs

You took the gold Ted DiBiase million dollar belt, now defend it with all your honor in the OB

It seems like just yesterday I was seeing Cam Newton comparisons in here, and responding to claims that he woul be the number one QB drafted next year in the draft thread. Ah, the carefree past, when we were all young and impressionable.

If you want a playoff, you should be praying for Bama to make it to the title game. Bc if that happens, T Boone will spend about a billion dollars changing the system.

Only one person thought he was > Cam Newton

The rest of us rational clones knew the truth t hat there hasn't been a championship caliber QB since Vick. And if VT wants to go in that direction, then at least improve your defense significantly, because the defense just looked horrible last night.

Every big marquee game, VT loses, and it's ridiculous. VT had no chance of beating anyone in the Top 5. They repeatedly get blown out by Alabama, LSU, lost to Clemson twice, et cetera

VT is not elite

There's no defending a loss to a bad Iowa St. team, home or away. Sucks for Oklahoma St., but that's the system for ya.

Please don't forget that when they lost to Iowa State, they were mourning the tragic loss of a part of the OSU sports family. I think that's a mitigating factor that bears alot of though (at least for me).

I know right. And with that bracket, Bama and LSU would probably still end up playing for the championship. :doh:
So be it. At least they'd've earned it on the field.

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 09:41 AM ----------

See, I don't see how the bowl projections can have Michigan or KSU as an at-large over Boise, when Boise will almost certainly be higher in the BCS. Hell, they'll probably be 6 behind 'LSU, OSU. 'Bama, Oregon and Stanford (or 7th if you include Arkansas). I mean, if we ARE gonna use the rankings, let's be consistent.

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 09:55 AM ----------

Fascinating this: SEC reaps reward of rejected playoff plan

In 2008, [sEC] commissioner Mike Slive pitched a so-called “plus-one” plan that essentially was a four-team playoff using existing bowl games. Other than the ACC, the other conferences not only summarily rejected the plan, they refused to even discuss its details.

“I remember it being a lonely meeting,” Slive said Saturday. “That’s all I want to say about it.”

See, I don't see how the bowl projections can have Michigan or KSU as an at-large over Boise, when Boise will almost certainly be higher in the BCS. Hell, they'll probably be 6 behind 'LSU, OSU. 'Bama, Oregon and Stanford (or 7th if you include Arkansas). I mean, if we ARE gonna use the rankings, let's be consistent.

Boise belongs to the MWC where they have to win their conference in order to get in. Big 12 and Big 10 have an at-large tie in. If Boise would have taken care of business vs TCU, then we wouldn't be talking about this. Arkansas is in the top 10, but won't make it. Oh BTW, if TCU is in the top 14, they may get the at-large bid.

Also ACW, you actually want Alabama making the title game, because that means KSU will head to the Cotton Bowl, and Boise will head to the Sugar vs. Michigan.

Boise belongs to the MWC where they have to win their conference in order to get in. Big 12 and Big 10 have an at-large tie in. If Boise would have taken care of business vs TCU, then we wouldn't be talking about this. Arkansas is in the top 10, but won't make it. Oh BTW, if TCU is in the top 14, they may get the at-large bid.
Wait, so the BCS ISN;T used for at-large spots? But I thought it was the perfect system.

And if TCU is in the top 16, they get an auto bid

Also ACW, you actually want Alabama making the title game, because that means KSU will head to the Cotton Bowl, and Boise will head to the Sugar vs. Michigan.

Well then, I don't know what the hell I want :ols:

Well, except a playoff :obvious:

Here is a scenario. If Oklahoma St makes the title game, this is what I'm predicting

BCS - LSU vs OSU

Sugar - Alabama vs Stanford

Fiesta - Kansas St. vs Michigan

Rose - Wisconsin vs Oregon(this won't change)

Orange - WVU vs Clemson

But if Alabama goes to the title game

BCS - LSU vs 'Bama

Sugar - Michigan vs BSU or TCU(If they move up in the top 16)

Fiesta - OSU vs Stanford

Rose - Won't change because of the Pac-12 and B1G 10 champs

Orange - WVU vs Clemson

That is what I'm predicting. I also think Clemson will leap frog TCU, Houston free falls below Michigan and Tech falls most likely to 17.

I don't know why VT has a turkey as their mascot,

Actually, I understand that it's a neutered turkey.

I'd recommend a possum because they play dead at home and get killed on the road.

Now that's some good smack.

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 10:45 AM ----------

See, I don't see how the bowl projections can have Michigan or KSU as an at-large over Boise, when Boise will almost certainly be higher in the BCS.

Bowl invitations aren't assigned by BCS rankings. The bowls can invite whoever they want. (Long as they're bowl eligible.)

At least part of the criteria used involves a dollar sign. (That's one reason why Notre Dame often gets a pretty good bowl. They may not be ranked, but they have lots of fans who spend lots of money.)

Here is a scenario. If Oklahoma St makes the title game, this is what I'm predicting

BCS - LSU vs OSU

Sugar - Alabama vs Stanford

Fiesta - Kansas St. vs Michigan

Rose - Wisconsin vs Oregon(this won't change)

But if Alabama goes to the title game

BCS - LSU vs 'Bama

Sugar - Michigan vs BSU or TCU(If they move up in the top 16)

Fiesta - OSU vs Stanford

Rose - Won't change because of the Pac-12 and B1G 10 champs

That is what I'm predicting. I also think Clemson will leap frog TCU, Houston free falls below Michigan and Tech falls most likely to 17.

if Bama doesn't go to the big dance i hope you're right about Stanford. I really don't want to see Michigan, seeing as we're opening up next season w/ them at Jerry world. But even that would be better then playing K st. I believe that the Fiesta bowl has the first pick after the AQ's. i expect them to pick Stanford over Michigan, but we'll see.

OSU was very impressive last night and definitely has me worried w/ the statement they made. Who knows how it will turn out. But this notion that Bama was just sitting out while the rest of the country had to earn it is a bit overblown.... LSU did play an extra game, but many believe they were in no matter the outcome. OSU vs. OK was not a championship game. the Big 12 no longer has one, and that was simply a regular season game. They did not play 13 games, they have the exact same record as Bama, they just spaced out the season w/ the extra bye. Did anyone accuse OSU of sitting back and waiting while they took thier second bye week? Did said bye hurt them in the rankings, as people suggest it should for Bama? I don't know how it will turn out, i do think Bama is one of the top 2 teams in the country, but i have to admit, OSU has a strong case and i can understand why people wouldn't want to see a rematch.

Really???

In the NFL, the wild cards go through a tumultuous multi-week playoff schedule to even get a chance at the big game.

Alabama sits on their couches and gets tapped on the shoulders by the powers that be in the NCAA, and "tada", they're in the big game.

I really hope you guys can tell the difference.

You are missing the point. His point was, you can't blame them for being in the same division as the best team in college football. Yeah, they won't win their division or their conference's championship game, but it's ONLY because they are in the same division as the best team in college football. Who they only lost to by a FG, btw. How hard is that to grasp?

Boy was I wrong.

Really wrong. About two things:

1) VT did in fact end up finding a way to get rolled on by a much more talented and overall better coached team in 2011

2) Clemson stunned everyone except only the biggest Clemson homers in pulling off such a huge game

VT definitely got screwed by a few bad calls, and they had some key injuries catch up to them for this game, but when Clemson can actually get their act together and focus on a game, VT just can't match-up very well against that kind of talent.

So credit to Clemson for somehow getting the team focused and up for this game, especially Kevin Steele and the defense.

I think we also need to pause for a moment on anointing Logan Thomas as anything too great. He sure had some really pretty stats this year, especially for his first year starting, but let's wait and see next year if he can actually get past usually having to rely on his 1st read when dropping back to pass, and do it without the help of all of the seniors on offense that he's had this year.

Agree pretty much with this, although Logan in year 2 will be better then Logan in year 1. Last night option 1 wasn't taken away, option 2 and 3 were also gone.

My worst fear occured, as I mentioned in my post, pre game yesterday, Clemson was the better talented team. if those athletes came to play, we would lose. Carbon copy of the 2005 ACCCG where FSU's superior athletes showed up that night and beat us

A few bad bounces, not recovering an easy fumble, some calls go against us, and you had the 2nd half that we saw. It snowballed and the team couldn't stop it.

And man was that loss of Jayron huge. Clemson really exploited the matchup in the 2nd half

Looking back at this season, it was fantastic from my perspective. Broke in a 1st year QB who bounced back from a woeful start and led the team to another division title.

Found a way to win the most regular season games in program history, this with missing 4 defensive starters for a good chunk of the year.

Have 9 out of 11 coming back on D next season, a big QB with experience, and another solid recruiting class. With realistic VT expectations, this was a very good season.

excuse you. I don't wear either school's stuff. I wear strictly VCU stuff. On college Saturdays I basically only watch LSU and Florida. I like both programs. They have a lot of tradition and awesome fans which is why I'm happy when they do well.

Also you can find me at every VCU basketball home game and almost every away game.

whoa interesting. Have you ever been in the south east region of the country and meet any of these fans? Florida in particular......

I don't know why VT has a turkey as their mascot, I'd recommend a possum because they play dead at home and get killed on the road.

Hahaha :ols:, okay I'm done now I promise.

Props to Clemson for winning. They're the best and they proved it, and that gives you every right to boast. The thing is, I dont remember seeing you around too often during the last month or so taking your lumps as you should have. And if they get beat in the orange bowl i doubt ill see too much of you then either. Now maybe you did and I just didnt notice, correct me if I am wrong. Even after the Noles got spanked at home by Virginia, I still had the guts to post here. Food for thought.....

Props to Clemson for winning. They're the best and they proved it, and that gives you every right to boast. The thing is, I dont remember seeing you around too often during the last month or so taking your lumps as you should have. And if they get beat in the orange bowl i doubt ill see too much of you then either. Now maybe you did and I just didnt notice, correct me if I am wrong. Even after the Noles got spanked at home by Virginia, I still had the guts to post here. Food for thought.....

You were and have been around all season. Guys like yourself, Spartacus, Major Harris, Slacky, China, The Evil Genius, Larry, thebluefood, ACW, Forehead, Elassar guys who constantly repping their team win or lose is what makes this thread fun. Its good college football talk with some smack thrown in and you take it while you dish it.

Those that just showed up last night, or Bubble Screen who refuses to acknowledge his GT fandomness, well :finger:

Archived