Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

I'm sick to my stomach. It was the right call but what could've been. :(

Both games came down to the wire, these are two closely matched teams.

Exactly. The ball literally bounced Michigan State's way in the first game, and now Wisconsin got the break in this game.

Gundy can talk all he wants. Alabama's loss is nowhere near as embarrassing as Oklahoma St.'s was to an unranked Iowa St. team.
Exactly.

Btw, I wonder if Gundy would have done his whole "I'm a man. I'm 40" speech if some reporter had criticized Weeden after the Iowa St game? Ya know, since he and Weeden are basically the same age and all.

He's right on the money. You shouldn't be able to take the week off while all the other contenders are doing work when you didn't even win the division in your conference and be entitled to go to the champ game.

I really can't stand this argument.

A) 1 week really isn't that big of a deal when the championship game and other BCS bowls aren't even being played for another month.

B) Why again are people so stuck on this idea of "if you didn't win your division you shouldn't play for the championship?" Can someone refresh my memory of what the "wild card" spot is in a playoff format?

In Alabama's case, you're talking about a team that didn't win its division, because it lost to the #1 team in the country which happened to be in the same division.

(This all said- I think I now prefer an OSU/LSU BCS title game, only because their win tonight over OU was in such dominating fashion, and I think OSU/LSU would be a pretty interesting match-up, but I also wouldn't be upset with an LSU/Alabama rematch either)

The good thing for VT is that they'll probably get lucky enough to play a horrible Big East team this year in the Orange Bowl. So thankfully for Hokies fans, the 2011 season won't actually contain the usually annual coaching, schematic, and recruiting exposure that occurs whenever Beamer and Foster have to play a legitimately great team and get beaten down as a result.

Boy was I wrong.

Really wrong. About two things:

1) VT did in fact end up finding a way to get rolled on by a much more talented and overall better coached team in 2011

2) Clemson stunned everyone except only the biggest Clemson homers in pulling off such a huge game

VT definitely got screwed by a few bad calls, and they had some key injuries catch up to them for this game, but when Clemson can actually get their act together and focus on a game, VT just can't match-up very well against that kind of talent.

So credit to Clemson for somehow getting the team focused and up for this game, especially Kevin Steele and the defense.

I think we also need to pause for a moment on anointing Logan Thomas as anything too great. He sure had some really pretty stats this year, especially for his first year starting, but let's wait and see next year if he can actually get past usually having to rely on his 1st read when dropping back to pass, and do it without the help of all of the seniors on offense that he's had this year.

Boy was I wrong.

Really wrong. About two things:

1) VT did in fact end up finding a way to get rolled on by a much more talented and overall better coached team in 2011

2) Clemson stunned everyone except only the biggest Clemson homers in pulling off such a huge game

VT definitely got screwed by a few bad calls, and they had some key injuries catch up to them for this game, but when Clemson can actually get their act together and focus on a game, VT just can't match-up very well against that kind of talent.

So credit to Clemson for somehow getting the team focused and up for this game, especially Kevin Steele and the defense.

I think we also need to pause for a moment on anointing Logan Thomas as anything too great. He sure had some really pretty stats this year, especially for his first year starting, but let's wait and see next year if he can actually get past usually having to rely on his 1st read when dropping back to pass, and do it without the help of all of the seniors on offense that he's had this year.

you were wrong about 3 things. wvu isn't horrible. but they're not great and can be horrible at times. clemson match up isn't great for us.

I really can't stand this argument.

A) 1 week really isn't that big of a deal when the championship game and other BCS bowls aren't even being played for another month.

B) Why again are people so stuck on this idea of "if you didn't win your division you shouldn't play for the championship?" Can someone refresh my memory of what the "wild card" spot is in a playoff format?

In Alabama's case, you're talking about a team that didn't win its division, because it lost to the #1 team in the country which happened to be in the same division.

(This all said- I think I now prefer an OSU/LSU BCS title game, only because their win tonight over OU was in such dominating fashion, and I think OSU/LSU would be a pretty interesting match-up, but I also wouldn't be upset with an LSU/Alabama rematch either)

You make too much sense, Spartacus. If people here had their way Green Bay would have never even played for the Super Bowl title last year, much less won it.

Really???

In the NFL, the wild cards go through a tumultuous multi-week playoff schedule to even get a chance at the big game.

Alabama sits on their couches and gets tapped on the shoulders by the powers that be in the NCAA, and "tada", they're in the big game.

I really hope you guys can tell the difference.

you were wrong about 3 things. wvu isn't horrible. but they're not great and can be horrible at times. clemson match up isn't great for us.

This is true.

I think at the time, Louisville was projected to win the Big East. I would expect WVU to be a solid match-up for a lot teams, given the amount of time off for Holgorsen to prepare (and maybe for Casteel to figure out something for the defense).

Chad Morris vs Casteel and Holgorsen vs Steele could be a lot of fun.

Also, as a random side note, the fanbases for the ACC's top teams did well for themselves with tonight's ACCCG result: Clemson fans now finally get to travel to Miami for the Orange Bowl, VT fans get to head to Atlanta, and FSU will get the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando (although I'm not exactly looking forward to playing Notre Dame, I'd much rather get to play Auburn).

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 02:28 AM ----------

Really???

In the NFL, the wild cards go through a tumultuous multi-week playoff schedule to even get a chance at the big game.

Alabama sits on their couches and gets tapped on the shoulders by the powers that be in the NCAA, and "tada", they're in the big game.

I really hope you guys can tell the difference.

Every team, except for the #1 teams in the conferences who earn a 1st round bye, go through a "tumultuous multi-week playoff schedule."

Alabama isn't just sitting on the couch. Their only loss was to LSU, by a FG, in overtime. That's why they were home this weekend, while LSU represented their division while crushing UGA.

Every team, except for the #1 teams in the conferences who earn a 1st round bye, go through a "tumultuous multi-week playoff schedule."

Alabama isn't just sitting on the couch. Their only loss was to LSU, by a FG, in overtime. That's why they were home this weekend, while LSU represented their division while crushing UGA.

My biggest problem with Bama is that they don't have a signature win, they have a signature loss. Everybody always says "they only lost to LSU by a FG". Ok, but who did they actually beat? Kent St, Penn St, Ole Miss, Arkansas, UF, Auburn, Miss St, Georgia Southern? Any signature wins in there? Arkansas would be the strongest case.

Oklahoma St just had their signature win today, on top of a stronger body of work than Alabama's schedule. They also won their conference. The only thing Bama has on them is the difference in the teams they lost to.

IMO the more important thing is the differences in the teams they beat.

I'm not trying to change your opinion or anyone else's on who should be there, just stating my train of thought.

My biggest problem with Bama is that they don't have a signature win, they have a signature loss. Everybody always says "they only lost to LSU by a FG". Ok, but who did they actually beat? Kent St, Penn St, Ole Miss, Arkansas, UF, Auburn, Miss St, Georgia Southern? Any signature wins in there? Arkansas would be the strongest case.

Oklahoma St just had their signature win today, on top of a stronger body of work than Alabama's schedule. They also won their conference. The only thing Bama has on them is the difference in the teams they lost to.

IMO the more important thing is the differences in the teams they beat.

I'm not trying to change your opinion or anyone else's on who should be there, just stating my train of thought.

I can agree with that.

Like I said this past week, Oklahoma State beating OU would put things up in the air for Alabama, but OSU destroying OU would certainly make it a serious discussion, and as it turns out, that's exactly what they did.

I definitely think that OSU has a strong case to play LSU in the BCS Championship game. Probably the strongest with their win tonight.

But it's also not fair to use the argument that Alabama didn't win their division, and so they didn't get to play for the SECCG, and as a result, then by default they shouldn't be allowed to play for the BCS Championship. Using that point was what I really didn't agree with.

I'll take either game and be content.

But it's also not fair to use the argument that Alabama didn't win their division, and so they didn't get to play for the SECCG, and as a result, then by default they shouldn't be allowed to play for the BCS Championship. Using that point was what I really didn't agree with.

I'll take either game and be content.

If I understand the BCS formula correctly (is that even possible?), it was where the Harris poll had OSU (#5) and Bama (#2) last week that accounts for the gap between the two. I really hope that changes big time this week. VT was #4 in the Harris last week so that will definitely change. Also, with Baylor's win, that will only help OSU's strength of schedule also (even though it came with a Texas loss).

I don't know if they can make a fair rule outlawing non-conf champs from the title game. It would take a much smarter man than me to figure out how to fix the NCAA/BCS if they don't go to a playoff format. However, I just think it should be a bigger piece to the puzzle than it is in today's game. I don't think that spot should go to Bama unless there is seriously not another worthy contender who didn't win their conference. OSU has clearly proved to be worthy, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I will also be very entertained with either game, but I just want to see what I think is fair, just like anyone else I guess.

If I understand the BCS formula correctly (is that even possible?), it was where the Harris poll had OSU (#5) and Bama (#2) last week that accounts for the gap between the two. I really hope that changes big time this week. VT was #4 in the Harris last week so that will definitely change. Also, with Baylor's win, that will only help OSU's strength of schedule also (even though it came with a Texas loss).

I don't know if they can make a fair rule outlawing non-conf champs from the title game. It would take a much smarter man than me to figure out how to fix the NCAA/BCS if they don't go to a playoff format. However, I just think it should be a bigger piece to the puzzle than it is in today's game. I don't think that spot should go to Bama unless there is seriously not another worthy contender who didn't win their conference. OSU has clearly proved to be worthy, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I will also be very entertained with either game, but I just want to see what I think is fair, just like anyone else I guess.

How about:

Alabama plays OSU, and the winner plays LSU.

Then everyone is happy.

Wisconsin vs Oregon will be a damn good game.
:yes: The power and defense of Wisconsin vs. the speed of Oregon.

Hell, even WVU-Clemson could be an entertaining shootout.

And damned if OSU didn't make its case.

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 03:33 AM ----------

How about:

Alabama plays OSU, and the winner plays LSU.

Then everyone is happy.

Well, not EVERYONE :ols:

But I could live with that.

Archived