Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Aaron Maybin may be off the Bills roster soon (M.E.T.) How would he fit as a 3-4 OLB

Ajamrani

Move orakpo to DE and watch him improve dramatically. He has 0 ints in 1 full season in the 3-4. and 0 ints in 1 season in the 4-3 as a LB. Play him at his natural position FFS! I know it's rare of LB's to make interceptions but there were plenty that had at least 2 this year.
In the 3-4, you'd be asking Rak to basically play defensive tackle.....

PASS this guy can't even get on the field with the Bills something is wrong......
This guy couldn't even make the field for the BILLS!!! Why would you want a pick up this pile of garbage?

You know, after what our team attempted to laughably pass off as a "defense" this year, I'm amazed people on here can still look down at other teams D's. That's not to say Maybin will be anything other than bad, but to say he couldn't start on a defense that was statsitically better than ours isn't saying much with how many holes we need to fill as quickly and cheaply as possible...

Move orakpo to DE and watch him improve dramatically. He has 0 ints in 1 full season in the 3-4. and 0 ints in 1 season in the 4-3 as a LB. Play him at his natural position FFS! I know it's rare of LB's to make interceptions but there were plenty that had at least 2 this year.

Are you serious?? that is the worst idea ever. DTs from 4-3 translate into DE for 3-4. A 3-4 olb acting as a 3-4 de? haha thats like a 50 lb difference. you could pick a random 3-4 DE from a practice squad and he could beat orakpo for that spot

You know, after what our team attempted to laughably pass off as a "defense" this year, I'm amazed people on here can still look down at other teams D's. That's not to say Maybin will be anything other than bad, but to say he couldn't start on a defense that was statsitically better than ours isn't saying much with how many holes we need to fill as quickly and cheaply as possible...
And the Bills supposedly went back to a 4-3. Maybe he'd fit better under Haslett's D?

Not enthusiastic about him. And LMAO that the Bills picked Maybin instead of our own "Oraknophobia". But I like bringing in guys like him, rather than the old guys we have before.

I don't know, I kind of wonder if the guy put on too much weight in between college and the draft, to try and fit in at OLB in the 3-4 (though it was only about 15 pounds), and I wonder if he'd be able to succeed in any other position.

Maybe the Bills coaches just suck and don't know how to coach up young talent, they certainly don't seem to get many late round selections to be productive on their team. I just don't know why he was so bad over there. It could have been anything.

Normally I'm all about the stats, and his are glaringly awful, but in this case, when the guy is only 22 years old, bring him in for a tryout. He's basically the same age as any rookie we would draft, so we could even consider him a late round pick and sign him as such.

Maybe he just needed a couple years to mature and he can be good depth after learning from some great LBs like Fletcher, Orakpo, and Alexander. Who knows, but in this case, because he's so young, I'd be willing to at least bring him in during the offseason workouts and camps, that really can't hurt. If he doesn't cut it by training camp, or show as much potential as some of the rookies, then drop him.

Watched him at Penn State. For one thing, he left a year too early, but beyond that, Maybin's biggest issue is his size. The guy has the potential to be one of the fastest DE's in the league, he was probably in the top 3 in college as far as how quick his first step was. But as someone already said, he's basically a one-trick pony speed rusher, and he only played around 225# or so in college, if I remember right.

Suddenly, he shows up at the combines weighing over 240#, and there are questions of how he accomplished it. He's still fast but not quite as fast as before. He's still way to small to play DE in the NFL, so OLB is really his only choice, and he's still a little smaller than you'd like for that. ESPN lists him at 250# now, but I never saw him play at that weight.

If he truly is 250# and can maintain his speed, then he could be useful as a 3rd down pass rusher from the OLB spot immediately, but would need to develop another move or two to be an every down player. He would be younger, cheaper, and probably no worse than Andre Carter in this scheme, which isn't saying much, but I don't think we lose anything by bringing him in for a look. The kid is talented, but not effective unless he can gain weight and maintain speed.

I live near Buffalo and from what I can tell in the media, this kid has been given every chance to get on the field, but just cannot produce, and that is saying something since the Bills have had one of the worst LB corps since Maybin has been in the league. Reports where he could not even do the basics well enough. Based on that, I see no reason why the Skins should invite him to camp, I don't think he will make it anywhere, so I think you waste a camp spot on the guy by bringing him in.

This guy clearly needs a change of scenery. 11th overall pick, two years, 0 sacks = WOW! And not wow in a good way.

I find it alarming that people on this forum suggest guys like Maybin and Gholston. Their combined sack totals, for their careers is... Get ready for this, it's a big number...

Would like to know more about his work ethic and "football smarts". If they're questionable I'd rather have some hungry UFA who is going to go all out every day to make the team. We need blue collar guys, not entitled players who "deserve" shots because of their draft position. I think Shanahan believes this and is molding the team to reflect this position.

Would like to know more about his work ethic and "football smarts". If they're questionable I'd rather have some hungry UFA who is going to go all out every day to make the team. We need blue collar guys, not entitled players who "deserve" shots because of their draft position. I think Shanahan believes this and is molding the team to reflect this position.

There's nothing wrong with bringing him in and letting him try out. If he puts in the work and makes the team, good. If he doesn't, and thinks he's entitled to a spot because of his draft position, Shanny wouldn't keep him.

Based on that, I see no reason why the Skins should invite him to camp, I don't think he will make it anywhere, so I think you waste a camp spot on the guy by bringing him in.

You are forgetting the rule around here - the Skins must consider every single player cut from any other team, no matter how obviously useless they are.

Maybin's undistinguished NFL careeer is over.

Next please.

I live near Buffalo and from what I can tell in the media, this kid has been given every chance to get on the field, but just cannot produce, and that is saying something since the Bills have had one of the worst LB corps since Maybin has been in the league. Reports where he could not even do the basics well enough. Based on that, I see no reason why the Skins should invite him to camp, I don't think he will make it anywhere, so I think you waste a camp spot on the guy by bringing him in.

I agree with you to a point. As I said above, Maybin needs a specific set of circumstances to produce anything, and I'm not sure we can give it to him. But you're talking about wasting a camp spot...I mean, is there really any limit? People are cut and brought in at will, so what does having Maybin around for a few weeks really matter?

I agree with you to a point. As I said above, Maybin needs a specific set of circumstances to produce anything, and I'm not sure we can give it to him. But you're talking about wasting a camp spot...I mean, is there really any limit? People are cut and brought in at will, so what does having Maybin around for a few weeks really matter?

Agreed. Camp Fodder is always welcomed.

Similar to us....Buffalo is a converting 3-4 defense and even when they were a 4-3 defense......their defensive line was putrid.

Without a defensive line, a "one-trick pony" like Maybin will NOT produce anything. Once our defensive line is enhanced and we have guys like Carricker, A. Bryant, Phil Taylor, Marcell Dareus, etc. at the front 3......guys like Orakpo and Maybin can excell.

Even as a backup rushing OLB on passing situations behind a strong defensive line...I don't see how Maybin cannot excel in that situation...especially with our LB coach from Pittsburgh.

To not bring a potential-filled young guy in that can help our 3-4 defense is idiotic. I expect football heads like Shanahan and co. to take a look at Maybin. Real coaches bring the best out of a player....and to say that the best of Maybin has already been displayed in a place like Buffalo is just dumb to me.

As for the other proposal, I'm not a fan of bringing in Buffalo's MLB because he's not even half as good as Fletcher and Riley is better as well. Plus he gets injured too much....which Fletcher does not do. I like Fltcher and RIley at MLB.....but yes, I'm all for bringing in Maybin and signing him to a cheap contract.

As for the other proposal, I'm not a fan of bringing in Buffalo's MLB because he's not even half as good as Fletcher and Riley is better as well. Plus he gets injured too much....which Fletcher does not do. I like Fltcher and RIley at MLB.....but yes, I'm all for bringing in Maybin and signing him to a cheap contract.

I'm not taking any personal offense since that was my thread, but did you just say that Perry Riley is better than Paul Posluszny? At what, blocking in the back to ruin Brandon Bank's returns? How can you possibly make that assertion? Yeah, Poz has missed about 30% of his professional games. Perry Riley only played in eight games this year, 50%. Riley made a total of seven tackles in those eight games. That kind of a sample size makes him better than a guy averaging near double digist tackles over a four year career, who has also shown enough leadership to be made a defensive captain after just two seasons in the league? Quite a leap of faith you're taking. I hope you're right, it would make our 4th round pick a heck of a steal.

Archived