Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Aaron Maybin may be off the Bills roster soon (M.E.T.) How would he fit as a 3-4 OLB

Ajamrani

Flies are always attracted to bright lights.

I guess it's not the regular for a Skins fan to look for gems within the dirt. We wait till a guy puts up numbers and makes a name somewhere else....then we say "Let's sign that Guy!!!!, give him 2 draft picks!!!...maybe 3!"

Skins fans wanna be the groupies of the leagues signing other team's superstars and hanging on their coat tail.....instead of acting like real football men and looking for the underrated and unappreciated and bringing the best out of them. I guess the STeelers should have looked at James Harrison and said "wait...he hasn't done anything in this league...that guy's not an all-star!! We don't want him!!!" lol. Vinny era is over son....

I rather have a low-risk, high-reward signing like Patriots signing Welker or us signing Carriker.....instead of a groupie move like Dolphins signing Brandon Marshall.

Real football guys can bring the best out of guys like Aaron Maybin....Shanahan and our coaching staff are real football guys.

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 11:27 AM ----------

I'm not taking any personal offense since that was my thread, but did you just say that Perry Riley is better than Paul Posluszny? At what, blocking in the back to ruin Brandon Bank's returns? How can you possibly make that assertion? Yeah, Poz has missed about 30% of his professional games. Perry Riley only played in eight games this year, 50%. Riley made a total of seven tackles in those eight games. That kind of a sample size makes him better than a guy averaging near double digist tackles over a four year career, who has also shown enough leadership to be made a defensive captain after just two seasons in the league? Quite a leap of faith you're taking. I hope you're right, it would make our 4th round pick a heck of a steal.

I admit that I glanced at your proposal thread and should have examined Paul more. Maybe he could have a future here......IF he is willing to sign at a low price and be replaced by a guy that plays at his level or maybe play backup. I am just very weary on guys that get injured alot.....I really don't like it. I LOVE FLetch because dude does NOT get injured....but I understand that Paul is young and could contribute to our team in some fashion.

As for my man Riley...c'mon dude....those faults u put against him were vague and does not speak on his true potential in the B&G. It's his ROOKIE year so I expect him to play 50% under this coaching staff. I personally think he should have started ahead of Rocky but I think we were just trying to get Rocky's trade value up (key word.."try"). That block in the back thing is nothing dude lol. It shouldn't have even been called. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with his playing ability at the MLB position. Dude stopped Witten in his TRACKS when we played the Boys. P. Riley is an excellent run-stopper and is just a stud at the position. He also has the perfect size for a 3-4 MLB. I see him as the future of that position...so u suggesting Paul would tell me that u want Riley benched...I guess that just didn't sit well with me lol. Riley is a beast though man...and I think he will be much better than Paul in about 2 years....imho. and u saying that 4th round pick would be a steal...u can get ballers anywhere if you know football man...Fletcher was undrafted....so yeah.

Honestly, I'll bring in Paul if he's willing to rotate and not be a starting over-payed "superstar". If he's a lunch pale guy as you said, I'd sign him in a minute to make him a rotational player on the inside LB position.

Skins fans wanna be the groupies of the leagues signing other team's superstars and hanging on their coat tail.....instead of acting like real football men and looking for the underrated and unappreciated and bringing the best out of them. I guess the STeelers should have looked at James Harrison and said "wait...he hasn't done anything in this league...that guy's not an all-star!! We don't want him!!!" lol. Vinny era is over son....

Hey real football fan, how is Aaron Maybin an upgrade over Alexander, Wilson, or Jackson? What has he demonstrated on the football field that makes you think he will add value to our team, besides having a name you recognize from the draft?

Signing a big name first round draft pick is the definition of Cerrato football. Sometimes one man's trash is another man's...trash.

Aaron Maybin might be getting cut by the Bills this offseason, what do you think about bringing him in and have him play 3-4..

He would come by with a very cheap price.

LOW RISK --HIGH REWARD MOVE!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/06/aaron-maybin-may-be-off-the-bills-roster-soon/

Not sure about the point of this thread. The Bills attempted to switch to a 3-4 last season and plan on continuing to move towards that on a full-time basis. Maybin was still unproductive. I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to the move if he does indeed come extremely cheap because we wouldn't lose out on anything. Sure bring him in for training camp, but I don't see him sticking around.

I guess it's not the regular for a Skins fan to look for gems within the dirt. We wait till a guy puts up numbers and makes a name somewhere else....then we say "Let's sign that Guy!!!!, give him 2 draft picks!!!...maybe 3!"

Yes, put up numbers. As in actual games played. Maybin can't even make the Bills active roster. That's pretty damning.

This whole paragraph is an example of what this board doesn't need. You have some pretty decent opinions here that if argued appropriately (meaning without the snarky undertone) would probably get some seriously good conversation going. But instead you opt to point out that Redskin fans always want others team's stars, and ignore the fact that there have been plenty of 'Skins fans that always want their trash to try to turn it to treasure... Neither route has worked out well for Redskin fans (or the team, for that matter). James Harrison was an undrafted free agent. When he first came in the league he quit on plays in practice but he spent his first two years on the Steelers practice squad. The Steelers, mind you, not the Lions or the Bills. He was then cut by the Ravens (Far cry from Buffalo or Detroit or the like) before he landed back with Pittsburgh and replaced Joey Porter after he got ejected from a game. In limited game action, James Harrison proved that he was a gamer.

Aaron Maybin was a first round draft pick who hasn't shown a thing that's a good quality. I do agree that there are some parallels between the two, namely the not knowing the plays thing. And I also agree that if given time, and if he's determined enough, the light may come on for Maybin. I don't even think that Maybin being brought into camp is an attrocious idea. I just don't think it's a move that's going to pan out for us. But I admit that it could.

You're far better than the son comment, too, from what I've read. You're extremely capable of holding good discussion.

Real football guys can bring the best out of guys like Aaron Maybin....Shanahan and our coaching staff are real football guys

I don't know that we have real football guys in the talent evaluation department... Especially when it comes to fitting guys to scheme. (Or scheme to guys). I give you Albert Haynesworth and Donovan McNabb as two key examples. Haynesworth was inherited, but could have been used a bit differently (although, he's such an ass that I understand this one), but McNabb was a total blunder.

Move orakpo to DE and watch him improve dramatically. He has 0 ints in 1 full season in the 3-4. and 0 ints in 1 season in the 4-3 as a LB. Play him at his natural position FFS! I know it's rare of LB's to make interceptions but there were plenty that had at least 2 this year.

You need to find a better metric for 3-4 OLB performance than interceptions, a pair of picks for an OLB is roughly equivalent to a five or six pick season for a CB. In seven years as a full-time starter Terrell Suggs, widely regarded as one of the best 3-4 OLBs in the league, has a grand total of four interceptions. Tamba Hali has not recorded an interception in two years in a 3-4 defense. DeMarcus Ware has only one career interception.

You know who has more interceptions over the last four years than James Harrison? Julius Peppers, a pure 4-3 DE.

Would you agree that perhaps you need to temper your expectations?

You need to find a better metric for 3-4 OLB performance than interceptions

To expand on EA's point (and probably what he was getting at) Orakpo plays the WILL in our system. The WILL in the 3-4 is pressuring more than 50% of the time. That doesn't give a whole lot of opportunity for interceptions. His primary job is that of a pass rusher. I agree in the thought that Orakpo isn't a great outside backer as a whole, but to judge him solely on picks isn't fair. He is an outstanding pass rusher and a mediocre linebacker. Playing the WILL, a position that fits his skill set, puts him as an above average backer at the moment with tremendous upside.

Hey real football fan, how is Aaron Maybin an upgrade over Alexander, Wilson, or Jackson? What has he demonstrated on the football field that makes you think he will add value to our team, besides having a name you recognize from the draft?

Signing a big name first round draft pick is the definition of Cerrato football. Sometimes one man's trash is another man's...trash.

There are plenty of examples of one man's trash actually turning about to be another man's treasure. I don't think anyone is saying that we should release Alexander, Wilson or Jackson. But what is the harm in bringing in Maybin?

I'm just saying that there is no harm in bringing a guy in. It just seems that ESers and Skin fans only go for the big names that would bring controversy to DC (Cam Newton, That WR from SD, etc.) and don't look at the lower-tier guys with alot of potential or write off guys that have not produced in poor environments. I love our pass rushers in WIlson, Rak, Jackson, and Wilson....but why not bring in a low-risk, high-reward prospect like Maybin? If we could turn the light on for this guy....that would only strengthen the rotation of our OLB rushers. ESPECIALLY if we can get this guy for cheap...I see Shanahan bringing this guy in and seeing what he has.

When we build a dominate 3-4 D-line this draft...I see all of our rushers excelling...If we don't draft a beast rushing OLB sleeper late int he draft or sign a proven 3-4 rushing OLB rusher in FA...trying Maybin out seems inevitable.

One of the few players I'd be all for bringing in. The dude is 22 years old! He's also from Maryland. He obviously has some skills, he was the #11 pick for a reason. Bring him in, he could fit somewhere.

Ryan Leaf was the #1 pick for a reason. And he's McNabb's age! Might be time to bring him in too.

There's also a reason that Maybil flopped with one of the few teams worse than the Redskins. Because he's awful - a bust who will never amount to anything and isn't worth bringing in to camp.

The ONLY relevant question is who of the next 4-5 OLBs we might end up not taking to camp as part of our 80. By the time your question needs to be answered the answer, he makes the 53, would be self-evident.

Watched him at Penn State. For one thing, he left a year too early, but beyond that, Maybin's biggest issue is his size. The guy has the potential to be one of the fastest DE's in the league, he was probably in the top 3 in college as far as how quick his first step was. But as someone already said, he's basically a one-trick pony speed rusher, and he only played around 225# or so in college, if I remember right.

Suddenly, he shows up at the combines weighing over 240#, and there are questions of how he accomplished it. He's still fast but not quite as fast as before. He's still way to small to play DE in the NFL, so OLB is really his only choice, and he's still a little smaller than you'd like for that. ESPN lists him at 250# now, but I never saw him play at that weight.

If he truly is 250# and can maintain his speed, then he could be useful as a 3rd down pass rusher from the OLB spot immediately, but would need to develop another move or two to be an every down player. He would be younger, cheaper, and probably no worse than Andre Carter in this scheme, which isn't saying much, but I don't think we lose anything by bringing him in for a look. The kid is talented, but not effective unless he can gain weight and maintain speed.

I was just about to post exactly this. There were major questions about how he added 20 pounds of muscle mass in like 1 month. As far as I know, he was never given any tests to see if he had "help" in adding that much muscle that quickly. And even with that extra muscle, he's still like 15 pounds lighter than he should be.

He can't maintain his speed. His 40 time was much slower in the combine after he added the weight. He's still undersized, still has no power, lacks enough agility to turn an outside rush into an inside move if he sees the tackle playing heavily for the outside rush. He's worse than a one trick pony, since he can't even do that trick very well. He gets completely stunned by your average OT's punch.

Every now and then you just flat out know somebody in the draft isn't anywhere near as good as advertised. That's Maybin.

Ive been saying this for a few months now that we should at least take a look at Mr. Steroid, Aaron Maybin.... an even better target would be Vernon Gholston from the Jets who is soon to be released from the Jets for not performing to expectations and seeming to have a level of "dont care" about him. He just needs a new home to breakout hopefully.

Aaron Maybin - 6'4, 250... #11 overall pick in first round of 2009 draft

Vernon Gholston - 6"3, 264...#6 overall pick in first round of 2008 draft

both physical freaks

Ive been saying this for a few months now that we should at least take a look at Mr. Steroid, Aaron Maybin.... an even better target would be Vernon Gholston from the Jets who is soon to be released from the Jets for not performing to expectations and seeming to have a level of "dont care" about him. He just needs a new home to breakout hopefully.

Aaron Maybin - 6'4, 250... #11 overall pick in first round of 2009 draft

Vernon Gholston - 6"3, 264...#6 overall pick in first round of 2008 draft

both physical freaks

Only Gholston was the freak. Maybin had a pretty ****ty combine.

What are the chances that a top 15 pick is going to go through free agency without a minor bidding war. Despite the fact that Maybin hasn't shown any worth for the Bills, there will certainly be a number of teams that were/are eyeing him. If the dude is as physically gifted as some ES have claimed, then chances are scouts from every other nfl team in need of a LB will make an offer...

This is the kind of FA move I'm in favor of. Hopefully we're not interested in giving the guy a big time contract for work he hasn't done yet, but to come in and compete for a starting spot would be fine with me.

Seriously? I hope not. No way in hell will I be happy if our offseason is SO bad that Aaron Maybin is actually competing for a starting spot.

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 08:01 PM ----------

If the dude is as physically gifted as some ES have claimed, then chances are scouts from every other nfl team in need of a LB will make an offer...

Let me help you out, he's not physically gifted.

Answer: Maybin is big because he mixes it up with O linemen, Russell is Qb thats big enough to be an O lineman.

That's not a great answer to the question, since they both need to lose weight to be effective players. Or at least, to begin the process of attempting to become effective players.

Look at Mike Williams (not ours). Eats himself out of the league in a Russell-esque way, and he's back being a man amongst boys this past season for the Seahawks, after getting his **** together.

Its possible for both players. To me, it comes down to who has talent in the first place. Maybin doesn't have much. He just had an explosive first step that he lost when he gained the weight he needed to gain to be considered appropriately-sized. So he's probably just screwed all around. But Russell just didn't have self-discipline or a work ethic. That CAN be changed. Will it? Who knows. Probably not. And who knows if he's also got a drug problem to go with all that money.

But still, I'd give Russell a second shot over Maybin, because he is actually talented underneath all of that blubber. If he could get motivated and dedicate himself to the game like Vick finally learned to do when he came back with the Eagles, he'd actually have a shot.

Archived