Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Orakpo Hopes to Escape Holding Pattern

MustangSteve

Brian Orakpo has tunnel vision when it comes to rushing the quarterback.

“Got to get sacks, man,” he said.

His tunnel vision does not usually include getting grabbed around the waist or seized around the neck.

Time and again last season, the 6-4, 255-pound Orakpo was held by opposing offensive linemen. Sometimes a flag was thrown, sometimes not.

Orakpo, who is in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl, plans to do something about it this offseason.

“I just have to keep churning, being relentless,” he said. “I have to find a way to get these hands up off me.”

Orakpo expects to work with defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and linebackers coach Lou Spanos to develop new moves this offseason.

Said Haslett: “There are a couple of things he can do when [blockers] wrap their arms around him. He needs to work at getting an arm off and getting back underneath. There are a couple of things we’ve talked about that I think would help him in the offseason.”

A holding call on Orakpo helped the Redskins win in Week 1. He was held by Dallas Cowboys right tackle Alex Barron on the last play of the game and a flag was thrown. The penalty negated a touchdown pass and sealing a 13-7 victory.

Orakpo’s most frustrating moment came in Week 14 vs. Tampa Bay when left tackle Donald Penn – who incidentally is in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl along with Orakpo – grabbed Orakpo around the neck to keep him off quarterback Josh Freeman.

Freeman ended up tossing what proved to be a game-winning 41-yard touchdown pass on the play. This time, no flag was thrown, much to Orakpo’s frustration.

Orakpo’s primary move is a bull rush in which he combines both his speed and power.

It’s a move that seems to draw a lot of holds because most offensive linemen can’t adjust to his speed quickly enough.

“He shocks people when he hits them,” Haslett has marveled.

Click link for rest http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Orakpo_Hopes_to_Escape_Holding_Pattern_189792.jsp

I love that they're acknowledging and addressing this problem instead of just ****ing about it. That rocks.

I also love Orakpo's quote at the end of the article:

“When you turn on the film, guys were playing physical, playing hard,” he said. “We’re just not jelling together. We have our games where our defense is playing real well, not giving up points and getting off the field on third downs. And then we have games where our defense is awful, with guys missing tackles and not coming off blocks.

“It’s just consistency. Hopefully in year two of this defense, we’ll grow together with a year [in the 3-4] under our belt, we’ll cut out the mistakes and we’ll get better.”

He sounds like a man, even in just his second year, who wants to hold people accountable, including himself. He's going to be one hell of a leader. I'm hoping that we've found our Ray Lewis, minus the double murder.

Orakpo expects to work with defensive coordinator Jim Haslett and linebackers coach Lou Spanos to develop new moves this offseason.
That is very exciting to read.

IMO Orakpo is basically telling us that he and the defensive coaches are going to be working on the biggest thing that keeps him from being a elite player.

next time try giving something more than an over-simplified, snarky response. I think Orakpo's earned it from fans that he be criticized fairly and accurately.

No. It really is that simple. If his move is the "bull rush" where he tries to bowl them over and then go around them, he should try to go around them to begin with so they cant get a hold on him.

They should bring Charles Mann or Ken Harvey in to coach him up, like the Packers brought in Kevin Greene to coach up Clay Matthews.

I've always thought the same thing, #57 was much faster around the corner though, at least from what I can remember anyway.

Do any of you guys remember a DL named Tim Johnson? He played in the early 90's teams, he had the best 2nd move of any pass rusher I ever saw... problem was he was too old and slow to get around the o-linemen blocking him from his DT spot.

HE should be coaching Rak, the guy was a monster.

No. It really is that simple. If his move is the "bull rush" where he tries to bowl them over and then go around them, he should try to go around them to begin with so they cant get a hold on him.

No, it really is not that simple. You can't always get around them, and he said he'll be working on getting his arms up and other movs which will allow him to block the hold attempt and get past the lineman. Get inside and move past directly to the quarterback.

And when he does go outside, all a lineman has to do is put an arm around him and hold him at that point of attack also. Usually a pass rusher will have to engage a lineman, it's noimply a matter of blowing right by them every snap. Pass rushers have to be able to shift quickly to create space and then use their arms in differnt ways, use differnt moves if you will, to shed the block and/or hold attempt. Simply trying to go around them makes a pass rusher 1 dimensional also. Just as they can't rely solely on strength they also cannot rely solely on speed, hence you were oversimplifying it.

Afterall, if it was so simple it would be easier to overcome and Haslett and Spanos wouldn't be working on different moves with him as well.

No, it really is not that simple. You can't always get around them, and he said he'll be working on getting his arms up and other movs which will allow him to block the hold attempt and get past the lineman. Get inside and move past directly to the quarterback.

And when he does go outside, all a lineman has to do is put an arm around him and hold him at that point of attack also. Usually a pass rusher will have to engage a lineman, it's noimply a matter of blowing right by them every snap. Pass rushers have to be able to shift quickly to create space and then use their arms in differnt ways, use differnt moves if you will, to shed the block and/or hold attempt. Simply trying to go around them makes a pass rusher 1 dimensional also. Just as they can't rely solely on strength they also cannot rely solely on speed, hence you were oversimplifying it.

Afterall, if it was so simple it would be easier to overcome and Haslett and Spanos wouldn't be working on different moves with him as well.

blah blah blah. Stop bull rushing them.

blah blah blah. Stop bull rushing them.

Outstanding contribution -

There is nothing wrong with the bullrush move being his primary move - It is a solid technique, where you shock the OT and put him into a disadvantage position then you use your speed to move past them . Using just speed to try and get round them unless you make an amazing first move and catch the OT napping then you are at disadvantage . More often than not you are side on to them giving them and oportunity to attack you with both hands and from a really stable base . It is fine as an armchair fan to say just dont let them get their hands on you but much more difficult in reality .

It is true Rak needs to work on his upper body movement to stop the OT trapping him but just in general he just has to develop and this is why we need more than ANYTHING to retain the defensive coaches and scheme for more than 3 seasons . Sometimes with change you find the performance of a player will sky rocket (like Landry) . However the change in Landry was simply changing position back to the place he was supposed to be playing when we drafted him .

I actually am really encouraged by the way the D started to come together down the stretch . There is a lot of work to be done . We need to find a NT and maybe someone like Phill Taylor (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Phil-Taylor.php) or free agency and DEs to go with Carriker and Jarmon, but the most important thing is for the team to be working as a unit and if that happens Rak is going to be great .

The way Orakpo sounded this season, it's like he wanted the rules of the game to change rather than adjust his game to the rules. I like that he recognizes that it's partially his fault that he's held so often and made ineffective.

The way Orakpo sounded this season, it's like he wanted the rules of the game to change rather than adjust his game to the rules. I like that he recognizes that it's partially his fault that he's held so often and made ineffective.

I see what you're saying, but holding is illegal.

I see what you're saying, but holding is illegal.

i think the point is that - the trying to get held was part of his strategy, hence flinging his hands in the air every time he got an arm around his neck (Unfortunately refs started to pick up on it and no longer honored him). He needs to learn some moves that will shed those techniques.

From watching him my take is he either bull rushes or uses his speed to go around the tackle. I think he needs to develop an inside spin to complement his outside rush.

The biggest thing he needs to work on for me though is getting off blocks against the run.

From watching him my take is he either bull rushes or uses his speed to go around the tackle. I think he needs to develop an inside spin to complement his outside rush.

The biggest thing he needs to work on for me though is getting off blocks against the run.

Even a counter move with a step outside and then crash inside would be beneficial. Bringing in another high quality OLB through the draft or FA could be huge in Orakpo's development of multiple moves.

Even a counter move with a step outside and then crash inside would be beneficial. Bringing in another high quality OLB through the draft or FA could be huge in Orakpo's development of multiple moves.

glad I saw this almost posted this same statement....I feel if we had a true pass rusher opposite Orakpo....it would open up a lot....(bring in Von Miller) dude is sick

Archived