Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taco Bell Lawsuit - That Ain't Beef

Dan T.

What have the tacos you've had in Mexico been like?

The one's I've had are just flour or corn tortillas, chopped up steak/beef, and spicy brown chipotle sauce. I told my friend down there about Taco Bell and he said "Sour cream on tacos? Yuck!"

Around here, when you get "street tacos", which are generally the same thing as one finds on the other side of the border from here, they tend to be a lightly fried corn tortilla (so they are flexible), chopped meat, diced onions and cilatro. the meat varies alot, from skirt steak to parts of a cow I would rather not know that I am eating - they love them some cow stomach around here. Cheek/head meat (barbacoa) is also popular.

Personally, I have been to Taco Bell twice in the past year. There is a Taco Cabanna right on the other side of the bypass from the nearest TB, and their food is 100x better (taste and quality) for about the same price - fresh made tortillas prepped in the individual restraunts, real steak cooked as needed (for fajitas and such), salsa bar.....

Taco Bell fights back:

sun-sentinel.com/business/sns-ap-us-taco-bell-lawsuit,0,3716440.story

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Taco Bell responds to lawsuit; says its beef mixture is meat simmered in seasonings

BOB JOHNSON

Associated Press

7:54 AM EST, January 26, 2011

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Taco Bell officials on Tuesday rejected claims made in a lawsuit that the meat in their tacos, burritos and other products is not all beef.

Taco Bell President Greg Creed said in a statement that the lawyers who filed the lawsuit got their facts wrong and that Taco Bell plans to take legal action against those making the allegations. He did not explain specifically what type of legal action Taco Bell might take.

"At Taco Bell, we buy our beef from the same trusted brands you find in the supermarket," Creed said. "We start with 100 percent USDA-inspected beef. Then we simmer it in our proprietary blend of seasonings and spices to give our seasoned beef its signature Taco Bell taste and texture."

The class action lawsuit filed Friday in federal court in California by the Montgomery law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles claims the Taco Bell meat mixture contains binders and fillers.

An attorney for the law firm, Dee Miles, said Taco Bell saves money by adding fillers because the beef is the most expensive part of their products.

"It's giving them a competitive edge. It's an economic edge" over other companies that sell Mexican-style food, Miles said.

Miles said he wasn't concerned with Taco Bell's threat of legal action.

"We stand on the absolute facts as stated in the complaint filed in the Federal Court in California," he said.

Creed said Taco Bell is proud of the quality of its beef and identifies the seasoning and spice ingredients on its website.

According to that Web site, ingredients used to season the Taco Bell meat include salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats, soy lectithin, sugar, soybean oil, garlic powder, yeast extract, citric acid and cocoa powder.

The lawsuit filed on behalf of Taco Bell customer and California resident Amanda Obney does not seek monetary damages, but asks the court to order Taco Bell to be honest in its advertising.

It sounds like Taco Bell's out is going to be that they don't call it beef, they call it seasoned beef. They start with beef, then add seasonings. It's not just beef in there, and they don't claim that it is. Hence, they don't have to be held to the 35 percent standard.

you both have a point. 36% is close to 40%, but, to asburys point, the standards are there for a reason.

yes, 40% is a disgustingly low standard, but asburys point is, standards must be followed, or it all goes to hell (via incrementallism). if they cant even adhere to that low standard, they need to find another business.

And NOWHERE did I even suggest that the standards should not be followed. In fact I specifically mentioned THREE times that TB should either adhere to the guidelines or stop calling in "ground beef".

What I did laugh off, though, was the disgust some here showed at 36% being too low when apparently 40% would have been just fine lol...

How can anyone be confused about that?

About thirteen or so years ago I was in Taco Bell, and i made the mistake of opening the "food" I was eating.

I swear, aside from the lettuce, i could not identify anything else in there that looked like 'food'. The meat diddn't look like any kind of meat I'd ever seen. It was a grey mush, no discernable texture of meat at all. The "cheese" looked like little yellow maggots. Pellets.

I've never eaten there again, and I am NOT the pickiest person you'll ever meet eithr. I love me some junk food.

But not that junk.

~Bang

About thirteen or so years ago I was in Taco Bell, and i made the mistake of opening the "food" I was eating.

I swear, aside from the lettuce, i could not identify anything else in there that looked like 'food'. The meat diddn't look like any kind of meat I'd ever seen. It was a grey mush, no discernable texture of meat at all.

You just described White Castles to a "T" lol :drool:...

And I find it hard to believe you like junk food...because the key to enjoying junk food is to not look at the food too closely :D...you just eat it and enjoy the taste, and hope that everything in it is actually digestible by the human body.

Here's the update:

Taco Bell fights back on beef lawsuit with ad push

Taco Bell is launching an advertising campaign Friday to fight back against a lawsuit charging its taco filling isn't beef.

The fast-food chain placed full-page print ads in Friday's editions of the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, New York Times and other papers as well as online ads to "set the record straight," company President Greg Creed told The Associated Press.

The print ads say, in huge letters, "Thank you for suing us. Here's the truth about our seasoned beef." They go on to outline the meat's ingredients...

The suit alleges that the fast-food chain actually uses a meat mixture in its burritos and tacos that contains binders and extenders and does not meet requirements set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to be labeled beef.

Taco Bell quickly denied the accusation. "The lawsuit is bogus and filled with completely inaccurate facts," Taco Bell President Creed said in an interview.

The lawsuit, filed by the Alabama law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, doesn't specify what percentage of the mixture is meat. But the firm's attorney Dee Miles said the firm had the product tested and found it contained less than 35 percent beef. The firm would not say who tested the meat or give any other specifics of the analysis.

Taco Bell says its seasoned beef contains 88 percent USDA-inspected beef and the rest is water, spices and a mixture of oats, starch and other ingredients that contribute to the "quality of its product." The company said it uses no extenders...

The case, Williams said, is thin in potential legal liability. Lawyers would have to prove that most consumers expect and believe they are getting something other than what Taco Bell actually serves. :ols: Most fast-food customers, he said, realize taco meat has other ingredients besides beef. And the lawsuit cites U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines for labeling ground beef, which don't apply to restaurants.

The USDA's rules apply to meat processors — the companies Taco Bell buys its meat from. Tyson Foods Inc., the company's largest meat supplier, said it mixes and cooks the meat at three USDA-inspected plants and that the meat is tested daily to make sure it meets requirements.

Claims of false advertising typically are regulated by the Federal Trade Commission.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110128/ap_on_bi_ge/us_taco_bell_lawsuit

• 1 month later...

Well, Taco Bell it ain't: Sausage contained 104 percent meat

A Swedish man has reported a charcuterie in the north of Sweden to the Consumer Agency (Konsumentverket). The reason – according to the label there is too much meat in the sausages.

The man, who purchased his sausages in the ski resort of Åre, was surprised to find that the meat content was 104 percent.

“Personally I can’t accept that anything contains over 100 percent. And this sausage couldn’t possibly contain more than 100 percent meat as there are other ingredients stated on the label,” he wrote in the report.

Click on the link for the full article

Taco Bell fan rages after price of burrito rises; shoots at cops and triggers 3 1/2 hour standoff

BY Philip Caulfield

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, March 21st 2011,

A disgruntled Texas taco lover shot at police and triggered a 3 1/2-hour standoff after he became upset that the price of his favorite fast-food snack had gone up 50 cents.

The man, whose name was not disclosed, allegedly flew into a rage Sunday when a drive-through attendant at a San Antonio Taco Bell told him that the price of the Beefy Crunch Burrito had risen to $1.49 from 99 cents, the San Antonio Express-News reported.

"They did use to be 99 cents, but that was just a promotion," restaurant manager Brian Tillerson told the paper.

The man had ordered seven of them, adding an extra $3.50 plus tax to his bill, the paper said.

Tillerson told police that the man got angry, pulled out a BB gun and fired at him before fleeing into the parking lot.

Employees and customers then spotted the man pulling an assault rifle and a handgun out of the roof of his Mitsubishi Eclipse, the paper said, but he took off just as police arrived.

Patrol cars tailed him for about 2 miles before pulling him over, police said.

The gunman then fired at police with an assault rife - shattering a windshield but missing officers - as cops shot back.

The gunman sped off again and eventually barricaded himself in a motel near Interstate 10, cops said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/03/21/2011-03-21_taco_bell_fan_rages_after_price_of_burrito_rises_shoots_at_cops_and_triggers_3_1.html#ixzz1HGaFjks8

Archived