Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taco Bell Lawsuit - That Ain't Beef

Dan T.

i've been told that their "beef" comes in powdered form and is mixed with water and comes out looking like beef. any truth to that?

either way, the crunch wrap supreme is yummy.

No that is their beans... Their beef, chicken and steak come in vacuumed sealed bags that you put into 190* water for a while (forget the time).

Well, fortunately, soon this law firm will be ten million dollars richer, the class members will be provided with a URL where they can go to print off a coupon for $1 off their next purchase of a Taco Bell taco, Taco Bell's ads will have a tiny asterisk next to the word "beef," and the world will be a far better place.

I used to work at taco bell, it was like heavan we would always sneak food to the back. Someone asked about the beens, they are dehydrated so you just put the beans in a pot add water but it in a heated oven, and 2 hours later you got beans, the chicken and stack come in airtight sealed bags and you just drop them in a heated water container in the back.

Taco bell haters are crazy, where else can you get 10 tacos in less than one minute?

Literally, they get timed for every order and the goal is like a minute

I used to work at taco bell, it was like heavan we would always sneak food to the back. Someone asked about the beens, they are dehydrated so you just put the beans in a pot add water but it in a heated oven, and 2 hours later you got beans, the chicken and stack come in airtight sealed bags and you just drop them in a heated water container in the back.

Taco bell haters are crazy, where else can you get 10 tacos in less than one minute?

Literally, they get timed for every order and the goal is like a minute

Pretty interesting. I've never heard of someone who worked at a fast-food place who actually didn't hate it by the time they left...both the food and the company.

Pretty interesting. I've never heard of someone who worked at a fast-food place who actually didn't hate it by the time they left...both the food and the company.

It depends on if you call Dominos "fast food". I still think that was one of my favorite jobs.

At the same time, my wife still has post traumatic stress from working at KFC.

But then how can others look down on you?

What does not liking Taco Bell have to do with looking down on someone? I love cheap food and love certain fast food chains (Whataburger, 5-Guys, chick-fil-a.).

But I still don't like Taco Bell or think it is a good taco though.

I eat cheap greasy $1.50 tacos from this taco truck near my work. Nothing glamorous about it. Just tastes better than Taco Bell.

What does not liking Taco Bell have to do with looking down on someone? I love cheap food and love certain fast food chains (Whataburger, 5-Guys, chick-fil-a.).

But I still don't like Taco Bell or think it is a good taco though.

I eat cheap greasy $1.50 tacos from this taco truck near my work. Nothing glamorous about it. Just tastes better than Taco Bell.

You may not like it, but others do.

I'm sure MH knows it's not quality. Neither are pork rinds or Hogs Maws. But it tastes good.

Well, fortunately, soon this law firm will be ten million dollars richer, the class members will be provided with a URL where they can go to print off a coupon for $1 off their next purchase of a Taco Bell taco, Taco Bell's ads will have a tiny asterisk next to the word "beef," and the world will be a far better place.

Ambulance chasers are getting high tech these days, testing "meat" and all. I wonder how their meetings go...I hope TB crushes them in court and countersues.

Not a legal expert, but if the product contains beef, and it does, on what grounds are they claiming that TB is misleading the public?

One day you might learn what a good taco tastes like. I pray for you. :(

Hardly matters...it's simply the fact that Taco Bell products taste pretty decent, especially considering the price.

Hell, I've had the world's best hamburger before (at Jackson Hole in NY), but still love White Castles lol :ols:...and I'm pretty sure they're just using beef-flavored cardboard for their burgers.

Ambulance chasers are getting high tech these days, testing "meat" and all. I wonder how their meetings go...I hope TB crushes them in court and countersues.

Not a legal expert, but if the product contains beef, and it does, on what grounds are they claiming that TB is misleading the public?

You have to have a certain percentage of actual beef to legally advertise something as being "beef". That's the issue

it's pretty amazing that expectations have fallen so low that people literally don't think restaurants should have to tell the truth about what's in their food. "eh, i figured it was probably seasoned cardboard. tastes alright anyway." pretty pathetic that some are willing to let corporations take advantage of people to that extreme. it's not like ground beef is some exotic, expensive product. it wouldn't kill them to use real ingredients.

This is a case where people expect the truth to be told to them, the truth is made available to them in some form or another, but they don't actually care enough to either look or worry about it. Taco Bell certainly has a problem if they're not following FDA guidelines but all in all they're really not taking advantage of people to the degree that you seem to be indicating.

Has it been said anywhere what the percentage needs to be in order for beef to be called "beef"?

Apparently more than 35%.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41242132/

Attorney Dee Miles said attorneys had Taco Bell's "meat mixture" tested and found it contained less that 35 percent beef.

Hmmm....that beef is LESS than 35%...beef......I think I'm gonna be sick.:puke:

I think the worst thing about that is the fact that it's not even beef filler, as that would be considered beef...that means 65% of that stuff comes from some source other than a cow.

Apparently more than 35%.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41242132/

Hmmm....that beef is LESS than 35%...beef......I think I'm gonna be sick.:puke:

I think the worst thing about that is the fact that it's not even beef filler, as that would be considered beef...that means 65% of that stuff comes from some source other than a cow.

Ok, this is what I don't get:

They're saying Taco Bell's "beef" has "less than 35% real beef"...so that apparently means that if it DID have 35% real beef then everyone on this thread would be fine with it? What if TB's beef has 33% real beef...would having 67% "of that stuff" come from something other than a cow be THAT much worse than 65% of it come from elsewhere? lol...

---------- Post added January-25th-2011 at 05:31 PM ----------

Ok, from what I looked up on Google apparently it needs to be 40% real beef to qualify as being labeled "meat taco filling":

"The USDA says that any food labeled as "meat taco filling" should at least have 40% fresh meat. According to the Alabama law firm, their stuff only has 36% meat. Perhaps they should call it Almost Taco Meat Filling."

Now, keep in mind that this report has TB's beef percentage as 36% instead of "less than 35%" like the article in the OP mentions...but I seriously doubt anyone would think that 40% real beef and 36% real beef is some significant difference. It would obviously mean that TB either needs to re-label their ingredient or up the real beef by 4%, but I don't think the quality of the food is going to increase substantially if that 4% is added in. If 35% is too low, then so is 40%.

I also found this:

“According to the United States Department of Agriculture’s website, ‘ground beef’ or ‘chopped beef’ consists of chopped fresh or frozen beef with or without seasoning, should not contain more than 30% fat and should not contain water, phosphates, binders or extenders.” (it didn't mention percentage that should be "real" beef)

Ingredients of their "seasoned ground beef" from the TB website:

"Beef, Water, Seasoning [isolated Oat Product, Salt, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Tomato Powder, Oats (Wheat), Soy Lecithin, Sugar, Spices, Maltodextrin, Soybean Oil (Anti-dusting Agent), Garlic Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Silicon Dioxide, Natural Flavors, Yeast, Modified Corn Starch, Natural Smoke Flavor], Salt, Sodium Phosphates. CONTAINS SOYBEAN, WHEAT"

I'm sure something in there qualifies as "binders" and "extenders" lol...

Archived