Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Critics slam Georgia paper for doctored photo of governor as Nazi

Redskins Diehard

so he disagrees with your views is basically what you're telling me?

It's not that hard to find the goods on Deal. First, he has been identified as one of the fifteen most corrupt members of Congress (he resigned from Congress just in front of an ethics investigation into a sweetheart no-bid deal with the state of Georgia personally netting him 300k a year).

Deal bashed immigrants and appeals to the angry nativists by sponsoring a proposed constititional amendment to end birthright citizenship. He blasted his primary opponed for being too friendly with gays. He has gutted state domestic violence funding. Fine, he's a conservative. Some might support those things, even though the attacks were pretty vicious and lowbrow.

However, Deal is also a birther. That puts him beyond the pale.

It's not that hard to find the goods on Deal. First, he has been identified as one of the fifteen most corrupt members of Congress (he resigned from Congress just in front of an ethics investigation into a sweetheart no-bid deal with the state of Georgia personally netting him 300k a year).

Deal bashed immigrants and appeals to the angry nativists by sponsoring a proposed constititional amendment to end birthright citizenship. He blasted his primary opponed for being too friendly with gays. He has gutted state domestic violence funding. Fine, he's a conservative. Some might support those things, even though the attacks were pretty vicious and lowbrow.

However, Deal is also a birther. That puts him beyond the pale.

see, that's more like it.

i googled and found a few things, but like madison, i'm lazy. predicto: not lazy. :ols:

Atlanta could easily become a flashpoint for a broader race war. Atlanta is absolutely over-run with Mexican drug smuggling and organized crime. Mexican traffickers use the atlanta metropolitan area as a national distribution center to supply wholesale quantities of powder cocaine, ice meth, marijana, and heroin.

The US Attorney is absolutely overwhelmed. Many serious cases are just not being brought simply because there are not enough resources. Locals are outraged at the influx of crime from south of the border, so it's not surprising a radical gets elected as governor. Justified? No. But hardly surprising.

la familia, the sinaloa cartel, etc. These organizations have not brought the same level of violence to Atlanta that they have south of the border. Yet. God help us all when they do.

The comparison is completely dumb.

If he's corrupt, they should have portrayed him as one of the old Popes. That would have resonated with their audience, right?

Dumb is too kind. It's outrageous.

He's corrupt compared to most Congressmen, and that's really saying something. But I wouldn't read too much into his election the way Zoony is. The fact of the matter is there were really no good options. His republican opponent sucked about equally, and nobody wanted the return of former gov Roy Barnes on the dem side. But Georgia has a promising history of course correction. We once got rid of Bob Barr and Cynthia McKinney at the same time.

Actually, this may only be tangentially relevant to the subject of interracial marriage/adoption.

But I take Mom out to eat three times a day. One of the things we do when we're out is we like to watch other people's kids. They're entertaining to watch.

And for the last few years, I've been noticing a lot of what I assume are families which have two white adults and one or more black children.

Now, one of my reactions to noticing this is, frankly, to be rather ashamed of myself. I feel guilty because I'm noticing the race of the people in that group. That I'm perceiving this as a "what's wrong with this picture" kind of viewpoint. Typically, when I'm confronted by emotions I don't like, I try to find something logical to analyze.

I come up with the theory that I've heard, for decades, that there's been a problem with adoption. That the parents who wanted to adopt all wanted "normal" (meaning, no genetic defects or abnormalities), white, infants. That very few people wanted to adopt children of minority races, or kids who had grown for a while. That healthy while infants were fought over, whereas, say, black six year olds couldn't be given away.

I conclude that maybe a lot of white couples have decided that they're willing to adopt black children. (And I conclude that maybe these people aren't as race-conscious as I am.)

And I find myself wondering, if this trend is actually catching on and spreading, then what effect this will have on society, 20 or 40 years from now. I wonder what will happen to race relations is large numbers of black children have grown up with white parents, living in white neighborhoods, going to white schools and playing with the white kids next door, and so forth.

I'm wondering if the (apparent, from where I am) spread in interracial adoptions won't have a profound effect on the way society views race.

(Once the racists like me die off.)

my understanding (which might very well be VERY flawed) is that decades ago parents largely resisted adopting outside of their race (as you imply).

However, then parents started to become increasingly colorblind in their adoptions (at least SOME did) which meant more white parents adopting non-white babies-- because as you pointed out healthy white babies had the smallest "demand-deficit"...

and THEN people started objecting to ALLOWING white parents adopting non-white babies --------- the rationalle for objections were somewhere along the lines of: white parents first can't understand the realities that non-white children face, and are not properly equipped to prepare their children for growing up in a racist world, and second, white parents rob the children of their non-white identity.

this led to a period where it became difficult (relatively) for white parents to be ALLOWED to adopt non-white children.

then people realized what morons they were being...

and now you see more inter-race adoptions.

this account is VERY hearsay... so if anyone wants to dispute it, i am very open to being convinced otherwise.

To Larry's question on interracial adoption, I know of quite a few foreign adoptions by White parents, where kids are brought here from places like Haiti and China.

I don't know whether he's seeing this phenomenon or American couple adopting American kids of a different race.

Dumb is too kind. It's outrageous.

He's corrupt compared to most Congressmen, and that's really saying something. But I wouldn't read too much into his election the way Zoony is. The fact of the matter is there were really no good options. His republican opponent sucked about equally...

This is true. Who can forget this classic campaign ad by one of Deal's GOP primary opponents :ols:

Lt35BYEOlEw

There is a lot of unsubtle stuff in that video. Perhaps my favorite is the dark colored "King Roy the Rat" lurking menacingly, wearing a ghetto style gold necklace, while the confederate generals look down disapprovingly from the side of Stone Mountain and the voice says "Who is strong enough to protect Georgia from King Roy, the Rat?" It's at about one minute 20 seconds in, and it is hilarious if you think about it, because it is so obviously pandering to racial fear. Ahh, good stuff.

Maybe Deal isn't so bad, if that is what you had to choose against.

Maybe Deal isn't so bad, if that is what you had to choose against.

To be fair, he's only been on the job a few weeks. Granted, he stumbled out of the gate with the pathetic response to the ice storm, but he hasn't even been given a chance to screw anything major up yet.

His past corruption issues are what they are, but they are hardly unique (even if they are in my view excessive).

Nothing to do now but hope it all works out.

Not sure where he stands on my signature issue though: End the blue laws that prevent alcohol sales on Sunday. It's ridiculous.

Archived