Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the last Redskin who was top 3 at their position in the league?

justice98

Let's see. Title of thread = Who was the last Redskins who was top 3 at their position in the league? Not the top receiver, but the top 3 at their position. How soon we forget.

Right answer. Wrong timeframe. Wrong position.

2010 Chris Cooley Tight End Washington Redskins #2

Go nfl.com and sort it on Tight ends. Look to see who's number two behind Witten. In total yards and total receptions, Chris Cooley's the number 2 TE.

For the URL challenged - http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&season=2010&seasonType=REG

Do I win anything for having the right answer?

fail.jpg

Um...nothing...you actually didn't have the right answer.

Cooley's Stats:

77 Receptions (2nd in NFL; Jason Witten)

849 Yards (3rd; Jason Witten, Vernon Davis)

11.0 Yards per Reception (44th, too long a list)

53.1 Yards per Game (6th; Gates, Witten, Finley, Dallas Clark, Vernon Davis)

3 Touchdowns (22nd)

Top three receivers (in no particular order):

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Roddy White

Larry Fitzgerald might have something to say about that.

Reggie Wayne and Greg Jennings are never far out of the discussion either.

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 12:14 AM ----------

I agree. Cooley is a nice player, but he isn't a top 3 TE. I would consider him to be top 6 or 7, though.

I think after the top 2 TEs, it's a scrum for the 3 spot. TE is an odd position with a wide job description. I think Gates and Witten are pretty easy to make a case for as the best all around tight ends in the league. But then who's next? Gonzalez? Not this year. Vernon Davis? Not if blocking has anything to do with it since he's one of the worst in the league. Gronkowski? Maybe in a year or two, but he split too much time this season. Cooley gives you top production in the passing game each year. I think whether his name gets brought up or not depends on how good a year he has as a blocker. I thought, in general, this was one of his better seasons as a blocker. I think the new scheme suits him.

Larry Fitzgerald might have something to say about that.

Reggie Wayne and Greg Jennings are never far out of the discussion either.

Yeah, I guess I could put Fitz up there ahead of White. I just took the first three names that I thought of. Fitz and Roddy have similar numbers, but Fitz is doing it with a worse quarterback, no real run support, and no real threat on offense besides him.

It's definitely close though. But, for the sake of homerism, Fitz is the better receiver, especially if we get him in free agency :silly:

I'd give Fitz the nod over Wayne and Jennings, too, because Fitz is by himself on that offense.

Yeah it's all about INT's, not single-handedly carrying that porous Colts D. And that includes Freeney and Mathis. The numbers that year with and without Sanders were staggeringly different.

agreed Sticks. The year that Sanders won he deserved it.

Albert Haynesworth

LaRon Landry is a top 3 safety, was closing in on #43

Sean Taylor top 3, only Ed Reed/Dawkins was considered better

Chris Samuels (for a while he was top 3)

LaVar Arrington was a top 3 linebacker for a couple years

Clinton Portis was top 3 his first year here coming from Denver

Champ Bailey

Darrell Green

Brian Mitchel

Ken Harvey

Stephen Davis

Woa getting a little ahead of yourself with this one. Lets start with this:

I know the question was asked who has been top 3? So is it just in 1 given season? or is it like you get to pick 3 guys you want from that position to be on your team, so current playing level is the most important but history is also included to eliminate flukes...(like Miles Austin for example, would we ever say he was top 3 b/c the poke had 1 nice year?)

Im going to assume it is not only that the player is playing like a top 3 player but also that there is some history or precedent of high level play to back it up.

LL: Nope, never been a top 3. He was showing the possibilty this year, but the injury killed him (plus then ed reed came back). Prior to this year not even close. Hopefully he recovers and picks up where he left off.

ST21: Never top 3. His final year (much like landry this year) he was finally becoming the player we wanted, then the accident happened and he didnt get a chance to finish the year.

Chris Samuels: This is prob the best chance for any recent skin. Was he ever a top 3 LT? hard to say, but he was always up there and he did it for so many years, it wasnt a fluke or anything.

Portis: never top 3 with the skins. 2005 was his top year as you said but that year 3 players greatly outrushed him, he was only 9th in TDs, his YPC was very low compared to other rushers, and his receiving stats were lower than others as well. Granted his blocking has always been top notch.

Lavar: nope. never. Overrated. Could name sooo many LBs who were better when he played.

Champ Bailey: This is correct. While early on in his career he was still getting beat from time to time or making the wrong decision, one of his final years here cemented him as top 3, if not the number 1 corner. Too bad he went to denver to play out his prime.

Green: very well could have been, but his true prime was well before I was old enough to watch not only the skins but every game from every team to really compare. He was always great and for so long but was he the best each year?

B. Mitch: Are we saying his position is KR? I guess the argument could be made, especailly because most KRs are so fluky.

Stephen Davis: Nope, but close. He had those couple good years and in 1999 his 1400 yards were good for 3rd in the league (pretty low total for 3rd) but his yards from scrimage didnt compare to 2000 yard gainers like faulk (2400) and James (2100) or even george, martin, and gardner. he did have 17 Tds but the yards from scrimage seem too much to over come.

---in 2001 Davis was again 3rd in the league in rushing with 1432, but only 7th in yards from scrimmage. Holmes and Faulk each had over 2k and Green had 1981. Further davis only had 5 Tds that year, near the bottom of the league.

WE believe in Stephen!

Stephen Davis, thank god, 48, is here to save us!

His run was a great one, but he was never top 3.

I just think it's sad that we have to say "this guy from this year to that year".

I want players in the conversation on par with Peyton Manning, Ladainian Tomlinson, etc.

Guys in the "top ___ at their postion" covering a long number of years, not just portions or particular seasons.

Darrell Green. Art Monk. Great players that also let you be proud that they are members of our favorite team.

HANBURGER IN THE HALL IN '11

In 2009, Fletcher was 2nd in the league in tackles behind Patrick Willis. Definitely him. Urlacher, Lewis and Fletcher (in no order) are, IMO, the top 3 MLBs in the NFL today.

How do you not include the guy you talked about, Willis, on that list? Willis has been the best MLB in the league, almost hands down for the last 3 years with 2010 being his worst of the bunch.

Fletcher is great and super consistent. Ive been following him since his rams days, the problem is that to be top 3 in any given year you need to be incredible. If you took a 5 year period, on average you could argue for fletch but in a given year its hard due to lack of big plays. (and playing the same position as Ray Ray and Willis)

I honestly think that people significantly overhype the first three years of Sean Taylor's career, some because of his college highlights, some because of the expectations that came with his draft status, some simply because he was a Redskin. But in his tragically short fourth year... something happened. A lightbulb came on. He turned a corner. Pick your cliche. Whatever it was, he went from a good safety who occasionally changed the game to a dominant force who controlled the game. You didn't throw in his vicinity. You just didn't.

And then came the break-in....

Sean Taylor, and big Al. ST was the best safety in the game. Not in the medias eyes but all the real ballers knew it. Ask chad johnson and torry holt. He was easily the most feared safety and hitter in the game. He is the only safety that checked ALL the top wideouts 1 on 1and shut them down, no other safety can say that.

No other had the combo of his size speed hitting covering ability and range on the field. The only safety that's close to him is ed reed

But people never mention the fact that reed plays on a stacked d with arguably the greatest middle linebacker ever

Reed is allowed to roam free and make plays because everyone else is doing their job

Its a dominant defense with a great leader in ray lewis, he taught reed how to study the game and be a pro.

Just imagine Sean Taylor on the ravens defense...he would of put up better numbers than reed

It would of been sick. Polomalu and Reed are greats but its just not possible for them to be better than taylor

He was bigger, stronger faster and just as smart

A freak of nature. And he was a threat to score everytime the ball was in his hands. Like i said he never had the luxury of playing on great attacking dominant defenses that other safeties did...just try to imagine him playing for the ravens or the steelers...scary.

As far as big Al when he came here he was regarded as the top defensive player in the league he has a bad name now but don't get out twisted he is still a top 3dt along with Suh and Ngata. Just wait till next year when he is off of the redskins the media will be sweating him again and he will be a beast again and the skins will once again be looking dumb.

Sean Taylor, and big Al. ST was the best safety in the game. Not in the medias eyes but all the real ballers knew it. Ask chad johnson and torry holt. He was easily the most feared safety and hitter in the game. He is the only safety that checked ALL the top wideouts 1 on 1and shut them down, no other safety can say that.

As far as big Al when he came here he was regarded as the top defensive player in the league he has a bad name now but don't get out twisted he is still a top 3dt along with Suh and Ngata. Just wait till next year when he is off of the redskins the media will be sweating him again and he will be a beast again and the skins will once again be looking dumb.

Big Al did not play like a top 3 player with the skins. Thats really all there is to it.

ST as you said had all the physical tools, but he was not mentally prepared for the NFL for about his first 3 seasons. He even admitted it took till his 4th year to really concentrate and act like a professional. Unfortunately the incident happened and he was robbed of his life and a chance to become a great NFL player.

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 01:52 AM ----------

maybe im being a homer but i would say fletcher. Take stats and leadership i would say he is top 3. especially the year urlacher was injured.

Fletcher is a great player and has been underrated his entire career but ILB is such a hard position to be top 3 in. In 2009 when urlacher was out: Willis and Beason both had monster years. (more tackles, fumbles, sacks, ints) than Fletcher.

That leaves 1 spot. Morrison also had a monster year and Laurinaitis, Rudd, Loton, and DJ williams all had more tackles. Ray Ray was tied with LF.

An argument can be made, but its a hard one to give LF that final spot in 09. Also have to consider 3-4 ILBs like Timmons, just the numbers are so hard to compare

LF's best year prob came in 06 where he had over 100 tackles, 2 sacks, FOUR ints, 14 (yes 14) passes defensed and eh scored a touchdown.

Only problem was he played for the bills and DeMeco Ryans went off that year with 126 tackles. hot damn.

Big Al did not play like a top 3 player with the skins. Thats really all there is to it.

ST as you said had all the physical tools, but he was not mentally prepared for the NFL for about his first 3 seasons. He even admitted it took till his 4th year to really concentrate and act like a professional. Unfortunately the incident happened and he was robbed of his life and a chance to become a great NFL player.

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 01:52 AM ----------

Fletcher is a great player and has been underrated his entire career but ILB is such a hard position to be top 3 in. In 2009 when urlacher was out: Willis and Beason both had monster years. (more tackles, fumbles, sacks, ints) than Fletcher.

That leaves 1 spot. Morrison also had a monster year and Laurinaitis, Rudd, Loton, and DJ williams all had more tackles. Ray Ray was tied with LF.

An argument can be made, but its a hard one to give LF that final spot in 09. Also have to consider 3-4 ILBs like Timmons, just the numbers are so hard to compare

LF's best year prob came in 06 where he had over 100 tackles, 2 sacks, FOUR ints, 14 (yes 14) passes defensed and eh scored a touchdown.

Only problem was he played for the bills and DeMeco Ryans went off that year with 126 tackles. hot damn.

Haynesworth didn't have a good year this year but that is because of the drama

Compare his 09 stats to the pro bowl dt's and tell me he didn't have a good year.

ST had great years his first 3 years. His last was his best

But please explain how his first 3 years weren't good? He was dominant

LOL @ the revisionist history on Sean Taylor. The man was ALWAYS a god in cleats. Didn't start his whole rookie season, but in 2005 he had a play to help seal the deal against Dallas in Week 2, literally sealed the deal in Week 17 against the Eagles, and won us, by himself, the wild card game. That's even without thinking about it because I'm very late to work.

Some of you are just insane, really.

Sean Taylor, durning the season ´07 he was lights out. He was covering more field then any player I have ever seen. Look at that GreenBay game, that was not human.......when I look at some of his plays durning that game, just wauw.

I think LaRon has the abilitie because he is a strange type of LB/SS...he is very different then Troy and Ed Reed. If we keep playing LaRon his strenghts he could be on top of the league.

And that makes you think....we could have had the two best Safety´s ever because they where like ying and yang, they complete each other perfectly.

I could blame the four men who killed him for destroying the best safety combo ever, but I only blame them for beeing selfish and killing a young girls father.

Back on topic

Champ was close to beeing the top corner when he left and Big Al was the best DT when he came from Tennessee....only we messed it up by not using his strenghts.

ST had great years his first 3 years. His last was his best

But please explain how his first 3 years weren't good? He was dominant

LOL @ the revisionist history on Sean Taylor. The man was ALWAYS a god in cleats. Didn't start his whole rookie season, but in 2005 he had a play to help seal the deal against Dallas in Week 2, literally sealed the deal in Week 17 against the Eagles, and won us, by himself, the wild card game. That's even without thinking about it because I'm very late to work.

Some of you are just insane, really.

Are we mentally blocking out the 2006 season now, or what?

Because Taylor was nowhere close to being "a god" or "great" or any such adjective that year.

Granted, a good amount of that had to do with him just trying to make plays to cover up for the terrible defense around him (especially the secondary, which was basically just him and Rogers with a band of rotating scrubs), but the fact still remains that Sean Taylor was not a very good football player in 2006. For every highlight play he made (the field goal return against Dallas or the huge tackle on Keyshawn against the Panthers), he gave up big plays in coverage and took some horrible angles in run support. He made the Pro Bowl that year in very DeAngelo Hall-esque fashion.

I mean I love Sean Taylor and all, but let's not use total revisionist history here.

He was excellent for a rookie in 2004, started out somewhat off and on in 2005 before really picking up his play for the playoff push, was incredibly average overall in 2006, and was truly lights out ("great" and "god-like" would be appropriate at this point) in 2007.

Archived