Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the last Redskin who was top 3 at their position in the league?

justice98

Trying to think of the last time the Redskins had an elite player that would be considered either THE best at their position or at least in the top 3. The first name that came to mind was Sean Taylor, but then I thought about it and at the time ST was playing, you'd probably have put Polamalu, Ed Reed, and Bob Sanders in front of him. But that's probably as close as you get. Perhaps Landry was playing at that level for a while this season, but he's been inconsistent over his career.

Even Chris Samuels was probably top 5-10, I don't know about that best of the best, future HOFer area.

Can't say Haynesworth. Can't say Stubblefield either. Both were Defensive Player of the Year, but never anywhere close while in a Redskins uniform.

You might have to go all the way back to Jim Lachey even, unless I'm missing somebody in between. Champ Bailey perhaps?

Polamalu is a strong safety. Taylor was better than Sanders. Ed Reed was probably the top guy, though.

London Fletcher is in the ballpark.

I don't know about that, people forget how good Bob Sanders was. Defensive Player of the Year good. Two time First Team All Pro as well. ST could claim neither of those things. And they came out the same year.

But I was just calling safeties safeties, but you're right, I guess I probably should get specific so Taylor would be in there then at FS. But keep in mind, at the time, Brian Dawkins was in that mix too. The only year he wasn't the All Pro FS between '06 and '08 was '07 when he was hurt and Taylor got the 2nd team slot. Only to say Dawkins could make it to the HOF, and was still playing at that level when Taylor came into the league.

Definitely Champ, and I'd say Sean was top 3 for sure, even in his short time. Polomalu and Reed are amazing, but I don't think either of them was as 'dangerous' as Sean.

TECHNICALLY, Clinton was leading, or close to leading the league in rushing a couple times a believe..

We had alot of top 3 players at specific positions here over the past 10 years....but that's irrelevant. We've always had talented individuals. When is the last time we had a cohesive unit working in unison to win games? I say last year to a degree because of ALbert. Fortunately, we will have this cohesive unit going forward to next season and the seasons ahead of that. Some top 3 guys at their positions that are on our roster now and will be playing for us next year are Landry and Fletcher though.

Are you classifying Orakpo as an outside linebacker or defensive end, for the purposes of this discussion?

For my post, he was a DE. Orakpo as a LB is nowhere near top 3, but as a DE last year, he was delicious and satisfying like a hand crafted cheeseburger with fries and an ice cold Coke.

Champ, for sure.

Maybe Chris Samuels at some point.

Landry last year.

as good as Sean Taylor was, i wouldnt say he was ever Top 3. Was he headed there? absolutely. but when you get to the Top 3 of a position (the absolute elite), you cannot factor in potential.

Landry put together a few good games this year, but he needs to do it for a full season before even entering the discussion. And he got SMOKED by Jackson to start the Philly game. That is just awful. He might be a top 3 guy next year.

ST was getting there. He was still probably behind Reed and Polomalu generally when he died. The year that he died was Sanders' DPOY award, so that probably puts him at #4 in his best year, although he was first team all-pro according to the Pro Football Writers. It is arguable.

Champ was an annual all-pro guy, and I would put him top 3 at position.

Samuels was a nice player, but there were some great LTs over the last decade (Pace, Ogden, Jones were above him.). He was top 5 or 6, but not top 3.

Arrington was second team all pro in 2001 and 2003. I'd say that is our last top 3 guy aside from Champ and arguably Taylor.

Archived