Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the last Redskin who was top 3 at their position in the league?

justice98

I can't believe nobody said Satana Moss, he was only 7-15 yards away from being #1 in 05. Steve Smith barely edged by him.

Here are the 2005 receptions leaders. I would take a bunch of these guys over Moss. .

1. Larry Fitzgerald* · ARI 103

Steve Smith*+ · CAR 103

3. Anquan Boldin · ARI 102

Torry Holt* · STL 102

5. Chad Ochocinco*+ · CIN 97

6. Antonio Gates*+ · SDG 89

7. Donald Driver · GNB 86

Derrick Mason · BAL 86

9. Rod Smith* · DEN 85

10. Santana Moss* · WAS 84

---------- Post added January-20th-2011 at 04:22 PM ----------

No love for Fletcher? What about Hunter Smith last year.

Reggie Roby / Matt Turk were probably our last borderline top 3 punters. Hunter played well enough to get himself cut last year.

Landry put together a few good games this year, but he needs to do it for a full season before even entering the discussion. And he got SMOKED by Jackson to start the Philly game. That is just awful. He might be a top 3 guy next year.

ST was getting there. He was still probably behind Reed and Polomalu generally when he died. The year that he died was Sanders' DPOY award, so that probably puts him at #4 in his best year, although he was first team all-pro according to the Pro Football Writers. It is arguable.

Champ was an annual all-pro guy, and I would put him top 3 at position.

Samuels was a nice player, but there were some great LTs over the last decade (Pace, Ogden, Jones were above him.). He was top 5 or 6, but not top 3.

Arrington was second team all pro in 2001 and 2003. I'd say that is our last top 3 guy aside from Champ and arguably Taylor.

I agree with most everything you said here, but wasn't Landry battling that achilles going into that game? I think that's why they took a shot deep on the first play to test him. He's lucky he was even as close as he was.

That was my first thought. Moss was a force in 2005.

There were a few guys you'd get to before you got to Moss. Steve Smith, Fitzgerald would've been 1-2 probably at the time. I think Santana had a big singular year, but I doubt he has ever been regarded as a top 3 WR, in general. Ochocinco was in top form back then, year in year out.

So far' date=' I've been told that we have a top 3 MLB, top 3 OLB, and top 3 safety currently on the roster.

Why does our defense suck?[/quote']I feel like switching to the 3-4 didn't help any. Incorrect personnel, bad coaching, or whatever. Landry was out for half the season too, but was playing lights out when he was in. Orakpo I don't think is quite there yet (84th place in tackles for linebackers), but is well on his way.

We had a top 10 defense in 09 and only won 4 games. It also takes a fluent offense to stay on the field, keeping the D rested, and more green behind their backs.

No, he was fourth (White, Wayne, Witten). Still, I don't consider him top 3 at his position.

Stats can be misleading. I certainly wouldn't put Brandon Lloyd ahead of Moss, let alone top 3, and he had more receiving yards than anyone in 2010.

Top three receivers (in no particular order):

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Roddy White

Archived