Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the last Redskin who was top 3 at their position in the league?

justice98

Top three receivers (in no particular order):

Andre Johnson

Calvin Johnson

Gregg Jennings

Jennings > White

---------- Post added January-20th-2011 at 05:46 PM ----------

All solid players, but I would not put them above the three aforementioned MLBs. They are veterans, each with one Super Bowl, and, while they are all at least 32 years old, are still playing at an all-pro level.

What are you talking about? What football do you watch?

Timmons is 24 years old

Tatupu is 28

Harris is 26

Ryans is 26.

btw, i didnt think it needed a thread, so im just going to post it here, and let it get overlooked :P

just posted that Art Monk record video to my Facebook, and a Cowboys fan shared it on his FB wall...he said:

"Hate the Redskins...but you can't hate this. It's just too awesome."

so, not all Cowboy fans are morons :D

#thatisall

I don't know about that, people forget how good Bob Sanders was. Defensive Player of the Year good. Two time First Team All Pro as well. ST could claim neither of those things. And they came out the same year.

But I was just calling safeties safeties, but you're right, I guess I probably should get specific so Taylor would be in there then at FS. But keep in mind, at the time, Brian Dawkins was in that mix too. The only year he wasn't the All Pro FS between '06 and '08 was '07 when he was hurt and Taylor got the 2nd team slot. Only to say Dawkins could make it to the HOF, and was still playing at that level when Taylor came into the league.

Bob who?

Oh, that guy who plays six games and calls it a season.

If that.

At one time Portis was.. when he was in Denver. He ran for some outrageus numbers in his first and second season.

Champ Bailey was unbeatable in 2000. Teams chose to throw at Deion Sanders rather than him. That speaks volumes. Deion was not old and washed up like some imagine,, our pass defense went from atrocious to stellar very quickly that year.. it's not like he got beat like a drum. In fact, I remember when Deion DID get beat that season it made national sports news.

Clearly Champ was the best in the NFL at his position that year.

London is always stuck with Ray Lewis, Urlacher, & Zach Thomas over his career.. I'd say Ray Ray is number one in that group, but 2 and 3 could be any of the others in any given year.

Randel el led the league in fair catches by a mile most of his years here. The next guy wasn't even within 12.

One could argue Cooley in the top 3 with Witten and Gates.

~Bang

In 2007 after making the pro bowl the year before Sean Taylor had a newfound love and dedication to football. He had what...7 interceptions when he was murdered? I think he had 1 for every game they played that season (not to be confused with 1 in every game they played which was not the case). He was the best FS in the league that season, and since he wasn't a 1 hit wonder and had actually been building to such an elite level for 3 years at that point, he was emerging as the #1 FS in the NFL in my opinion, and was at the very least in the top 3.

Polamalu is a strong safety. Taylor was better than Sanders. Ed Reed was probably the top guy, though.

London Fletcher is in the ballpark.

Sorry how many Defensive Player of the Year awards did #21 win?

He obviously had a much higher ceiling but it's like comparing Ovechkin to Iginla in 2005. Not as good then but clearly would be better in a few years.

Albert Haynesworth

LaRon Landry is a top 3 safety, was closing in on #43

Sean Taylor top 3, only Ed Reed/Dawkins was considered better

Chris Samuels (for a while he was top 3)

LaVar Arrington was a top 3 linebacker for a couple years

Clinton Portis was top 3 his first year here coming from Denver

Champ Bailey

Darrell Green

Brian Mitchel

Ken Harvey

Stephen Davis

Albert Haynesworth

LaRon Landry is a top 3 safety, was closing in on #43

Sean Taylor top 3, only Ed Reed/Dawkins was considered better

Chris Samuels (for a while he was top 3)

LaVar Arrington was a top 3 linebacker for a couple years

Clinton Portis was top 3 his first year here coming from Denver

Champ Bailey

Darrell Green

Brian Mitchel

Ken Harvey

Stephen Davis

Looks good except I don't know about Samuels. Taylor given another season absolutely but in 2007 which is the only year he could've been considered elite, you got Polamalu, Ed Reed,Dawkins and Bob Sanders (DPOTY) depending on whether or not you split free safety and strong safety in which case, that changes things.

Chip Lohmiller? :ols:...No effin' way was he ever considered one of the top 3 PKs during any of his years here.

Not saying he was the best kicker ever to play the game, but he was the best kicker in the NFL in 1991. Led the league in scoring with 149 points and was top in the league in every kicking category. Started for the NFC in the pro bowl. He was top three at his position in 1991.

I would Say Taylor no doubt. I know Sanders was DoPTY that year.. but he only had like One INT the year he won it? He's great, but I think he robbed someone else in San Diego for Dpoty.

Champ Bailey, Portis was close, it's a good discussion IMO.

I would Say Taylor no doubt. I know Sanders was DoPTY that year.. but he only had like One INT the year he won it? He's great, but I think he robbed someone else in San Diego for Dpoty.

Champ Bailey, Portis was close, it's a good discussion IMO.

Yeah it's all about INT's, not single-handedly carrying that porous Colts D. And that includes Freeney and Mathis. The numbers that year with and without Sanders were staggeringly different.

Not saying he was the best kicker ever to play the game, but he was the best kicker in the NFL in 1991. Led the league in scoring with 149 points and was top in the league in every kicking category. Started for the NFC in the pro bowl. He was top three at his position in 1991.

Lohmiller missed 12 field goals that year. He'd have been close to 200 points if he'd made all of his kicks. He was 16th in accuracy in 1991. Jeff Jaeger made 2 fewer field goals on 10 fewer attempts. Stoyanovich made the same 31 field goals except he tried 7 fewer times. Our 2 losses were by a combined 5 points, Lohmiller makes his kicks we could have been 16-0.

Let's see. Title of thread = Who was the last Redskins who was top 3 at their position in the league? Not the top receiver, but the top 3 at their position. How soon we forget.

Chris Cooley as an H-back.

Right answer. Wrong timeframe. Wrong position.

2010 Chris Cooley Tight End Washington Redskins #2

Go nfl.com and sort it on Tight ends. Look to see who's number two behind Witten. In total yards and total receptions, Chris Cooley's the number 2 TE.

For the URL challenged - http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&season=2010&seasonType=REG

Do I win anything for having the right answer?

Archived