Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dogs really are man's best friend...

Sticksboi05

As the death toll from devastating flooding in Brazil continues to rise, a single picture drives home the sense of loss.

Leao, a medium-sized brown mutt, lies next to the grave of her owner, Cristina Maria Cesario Santana, who died in the catastrophic landslides caused by heavy rain...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/17/in-brazil-flooding-loyalty-to-the-dea/

I know this may sound bad, but does anyone get more upset over the ASPCA commercial than when they show commericals of the kids in the poor countries? I hate seeing those ASPCA commercials, whenever one comes on I have to change the channel because its just too sad.

I will never live another day without a dog of one kind or another and most days will have two.

I will eventually get another dog when I ave my own family but I don't want one now. We had a dog for a decade and she died a few years back. Getting a new one would just be a replacement and never the same.

You know, when people say "I can't understand why people get so worked up over dogs," it's because they never experienced things like this. It's why I think I love dogs so much. There's that unconditional, unquestioned love and loyalty that they seem to have. No one will ever love you as much as your dog does, and there's something heart wrenching about that.

I know this may sound bad, but does anyone get more upset over the ASPCA commercial than when they show commericals of the kids in the poor countries? I hate seeing those ASPCA commercials, whenever one comes on I have to change the channel because its just too sad.

Yup, I can't take it. For some reason I have more emotion when it comes to dogs. Maybe it's because I have dogs and I don't have kids. I don't know, but the story in Brazil made me tear up a little and reach over and scratch my puppies between the ears.

---------- Post added January-20th-2011 at 07:06 PM ----------

I will eventually get another dog when I ave my own family but I don't want one now. We had a dog for a decade and she died a few years back. Getting a new one would just be a replacement and never the same.

You always think that until you get one and it's a completely different being. With it's own personality and funny things it does. And you aren't a replacement to it. You're number 1. Don't let that stop you.

Yup, I can't take it. For some reason I have more emotion when it comes to dogs. Maybe it's because I have dogs and I don't have kids. I don't know, but the story in Brazil made me tear up a little and reach over and scratch my puppies between the ears.

---------- Post added January-20th-2011 at 07:06 PM ----------

You always think that until you get one and it's a completely different being. With it's own personality and funny things it does. And you aren't a replacement to it. You're number 1. Don't let that stop you.

No, I mean the new dog would be a replacement for my old dog. It just wouldn't be the same, it's one thing if you are an adult but it's different when you go through almost your entire childhood with your pet.

I cried during Marley and Me. There, I admit it.

I didn't watch it, because I knew I would. And yes, I'm serious.

I did watch "A Dog Year" with Jeff Bridges the other night. Pretty simple plot (as with most dog movies) but it was pretty good. And the story is about a border collie, like my Lexi, who graced our lives for nearly 14 years.

Though the border collie survives the entire movie, there was another dog that had to be put down. Reminded me of laying on the floor with Lexi as she closed her eyes for the last time. I'm even getting a little misty now.

Dogs have all of the good qualities of the best people with NONE of the flaws. I'm a big fan of loyalty, trust, respect, understanding, and grace. And frankly I can't think of five better words to describe a dog.

I know there are some who will say, "What about pit bulls?" or whatever. And I would say to them, that "bad" dogs are manifesting the worst traits of their owners. And that's not a reflection on the dog, IMO. In most cases, where you find a bad kid, you'll find a bad parent behind them. In dogs, I think that's true in virtually all cases.

No, I mean the new dog would be a replacement for my old dog. It just wouldn't be the same, it's one thing if you are an adult but it's different when you go through almost your entire childhood with your pet.

First of all, bro. I hear you 100%. I had my "Princess" for just about my whole childhood. She never left my feet, and though she was our family dog, it was understood that she was mine; and I, hers. When we played "spotlight" on summer nights, she would have to go inside. Otherwise, when I was "it," I would say, "Princess, where's (whichever neighborhood kid)" and she would take me straight to them. When I played the piano, she laid across my feet, and like I said, wherever I was, there she was too.

When I left for basic training, she was really starting to deteriorate. Her hips were shot. She wasn't eating all that well. She was really struggling. It was tough, because her heart and soul were still there, but her body was failing her.

The morning she had to be put down, I woke up (a few hundred miles away) and new she was gone. I felt it in my gut. I had trouble getting through the day. But I couldn't bear asking about her when I called home. I just toughed it out, knowing, but not knowing.

On the way to the airport when I graduated, I asked dad in the car about her. He looked at me in the rear-view mirror, and just shook his head. I was in full dress uniform, so I couldn't bawl, but trust me, I did later. A few times.

Anyway, I'm telling you all this for one reason, really. You saw how I talked about Lexi. She became another deep love of my life. Was she Princess? Hell no. And I'm glad for that. They were two dfferent "girls" and I love them both for the joy they brought to my life; different as it was.

You get a dog when you're ready. But I can tell just by the fact that you care about this the way you've said that your next "best friend" won't be going to the proverbial "good home." They'll be going to a great one.

Archived